Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

To add to the list of potential commentators, I'm up for it if anyone wants my "unique" perspectives on their hack.

I apologize, but um... I don't recognize your name. I've seen you around before, but do I know you? >_<

You could put me in, though my internet connection is a bit sketchy and i'm not that great of a commentator. :p

That doesn't sound like a promising proposition. I'll stick with just EnderSlicer12 and I.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be a bit of an "Well duh" question/answer, but...

For the people who asked for streaming, will you be uploading the full stream on Youtube later? (If I get an answer "Well duh", then I will admit that I deserve it.)

This might be a bit of an "Well duh" question/answer, but...

For the people who asked for streaming, will you be uploading the full stream on Youtube later? (If I get an answer "Well duh", then I will admit that I deserve it.)

Yes. All Ragefest streams will go up on my main youtube channel. I'll see about editing them first to remove any boring parts, but I can't guarantee.

Also, I'm just gonna leave this here for those of you concerned about watching my older streams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6futhEsP1_nEukXpDQqUA

@Klok: I don't know when I'll be announcing Ragefest V anymore, considering the shear number of submissions.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I forgot to say but for me, Normal BUT show that bits of you working through the gameplay. What you may consider boring is actually kind of fun for me and it may be fun for others. (emblem warriors 1.5 is a great example of you starting to suffer a bit).

With that said, the wait on what actually passed is killing me because I worked so hard and it would piss me off a great deal to know it was cut.

I would prefer if you played mine as a normal recording. I have an update that fixes some minor housecleaning stuff (e.g. a battle quote showing twice, a minor battle animation I forgot to insert, and no boss music playing for a certain unit) coming in the next few days (probably tonight), though, so skip my entry for now if you're playing another one so soon.

I always prefer normal recordings. Playing the hacks with the creator present kills the suspense, as they always tend to ruin any surprises long before they pop up. The back and forth talking also kills any actual interesting commentary.

That's just me though?

I always prefer normal recordings. Playing the hacks with the creator present kills the suspense, as they always tend to ruin any surprises long before they pop up. The back and forth talking also kills any actual interesting commentary.

That's just me though?

i'm only a lowly beta tester, but i'm with klok on this one.

i never was a fan of the "game grumps" style commentary and i can barely remember the hacks where you had the creator with you because i felt like there wasn't enough commentary about the actual hack.

There's also a big level of awkwardness between Marc, a seasoned LPer, and random hack creator 101, who has likely never done a commentary. You can also feel tension in the air, like something funny comes up on screen and Marc almost forces a laugh because the creator is listening, and what could have been a genuinely humorous moment is killed and sounds fake. It's even worse when something isn't funny at all and a laugh is still forced.

This isn't even Marc or the creator's fault, this is just social dynamics in play. It's like when your friend Larry shows you that funny cat video from 2009 you've seen a dozen times and he smiles at you expectantly. Get it? It's a kitty doing something funny! You have to laugh now or you're an asshole.

Finally, I'm not saying illuminati or anything, but no creator who had a co-commentary ever won a ragefest.

Well I mean... There have only been three ragefests until now, which means you can only have three winners. I think we should base the argument more on ragefests that were received well rather than the ones that explicitly won. With that in mind, Maze Of The Troll King got second in Ragefest 1, not to mention spawned the "ARCHIBAAAAAAALD!!!" thing, and in Ragefest 3, we got Bullet Hell Madness, which was uploaded as a co-commentary after complaints that the non-blind run wasn't as enjoyable as the blind co-commentary. In fact... I believe it was you Klok who said the co-commentary was better. That's not to say you're not allowed to change your mind, but uh... yeah, that was a thing.

I also felt the Morph's Last Stand, while not a great submission, was more entertaining to watch once I brought Seph1212/FrenchFroodle in. Him and I seemed to be on similar wavelengths when we co-commentated.

Marc's Special day also had co-commentary near the end, but now I'm splitting hairs.

Now with that said... I look back to Bullet Hell Madness and I recall being a bit nicer than I would have naturally been. In my mind, I was comparing it to Rondo Of Madness, but I restrained myself cause Ephraim was right there, and I didn't wanna make things awkward. So I don't think Klok is wrong when he says there is some restraint involved.

... *sigh* And in addition to that, there have been numerous opportunities where I co-commentate with someone who isn't used to commentating and things are decidedly stiff between us.

So yeah, I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is that I think there are only a few people who can really augment the commentary in any way, and those who are interested in commentating with me should first consider their experience first.

But then there are people who think they are good, but aren't... And that HAS happened before. And that puts me in an awkward spot...

Uuuuugh. Y'know what? It probably makes more sense if I stick to solo commentary, and only do co-commentary if I think it's appropriate (like with Morph's Last Stand), and with people whom I am comfortable with. My end-game is to make great videos, and unfortunately, that could mean telling people they can't join me.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

There's also a big level of awkwardness between Marc, a seasoned LPer, and random hack creator 101, who has likely never done a commentary. You can also feel tension in the air, like something funny comes up on screen and Marc almost forces a laugh because the creator is listening, and what could have been a genuinely humorous moment is killed and sounds fake. It's even worse when something isn't funny at all and a laugh is still forced.

This isn't even Marc or the creator's fault, this is just social dynamics in play. It's like when your friend Larry shows you that funny cat video from 2009 you've seen a dozen times and he smiles at you expectantly. Get it? It's a kitty doing something funny! You have to laugh now or you're an asshole.

Finally, I'm not saying illuminati or anything, but no creator who had a co-commentary ever won a ragefest.

pretty much actually, Social dynamics can play a big part in how something turns out, hell some movies and shows are better with social dynamics, while others are worse because you aren't paying enough attention.

and i did somewhat forget this, as i can't remember who won the second rage fest off the top of my head, but you are right, co commentary might actually negatively affect a ragefest submission

EDIT: lol mark posted a second before i did, funny world

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Co-commentary only works if you've already soloed the game once, and either got stuck or it was so dull you bring in a second voice to liven it up. Starting solo is always preferred. By me at least.

I also felt the Morph's Last Stand, while not a great submission, was more entertaining to watch once I brought Seph1212/FrenchFroodle in. Him and I seemed to be on similar wavelengths when we co-commentated.

Exactly like this.

in Ragefest 3, we got Bullet Hell Madness, which was uploaded as a co-commentary after complaints that the non-blind run wasn't as enjoyable as the blind co-commentary. In fact... I believe it was you Klok who said the co-commentary was better. That's not to say you're not allowed to change your mind, but uh... yeah, that was a thing.

And pretty much this. You did solo first, it sucked, then you did a co-commentary and it was better.

There's also a decided difference between Ephraim225 who does commentaries on his own (Not to mention Trent), and other random people who are too nervous to be interesting.

No offense to boring people. >_<

There's also a decided difference between Ephraim225 who does commentaries on his own (Not to mention Trent), and other random people who are too nervous to be interesting.

No offense to boring people. >_<

aw ty <3

I think Marc cares enough about the quality of his videos that he'll only bring in people he knows will add something/he can bounce off of. I'm probably the former, because while I found bouncing off of Marc fine, he's told me he didn't feel the same way xD

I also agree with klok on this one but to add in from a dev standpoint. Who could resist that moment right before the person you have playing your hack is about to fall into a difficult trap and you give obvious clues its about to happen? Not to mention the dev then tells his/her secret on how it works and thus providing less possible rage? I'm not saying that is always a terrible thing but it kind of dulls the surprise as well as "giving the answer" instead of letting that magical process where the player fails a bunch of times only to either break apart or scream their victory cry after figuring it out.

This also can happen the opposite way too when the player does something different than what the dev had planed. Breaking the hack the dev spent a considerable amount of time on right in front of their eyes usually does not go well.

This might just be coming from me aligning with the "random hack dev" or "inexperienced commentator" parts of this whole deal, but wouldn't it be easier to play the games solo first, and then if there are actually any parts that catch your interest bring the developer in then so that they can answer questions about their development process/reasoning?

Bringing them in early on the off chance that you (Marc) might bounce off well with them seems risky if that puts the quality of the overall video at stake.

Am I the last one to submit, or is [someone I maybe shouldn't mention by name] pulling another last-minute yet super creative hell simulator?

(Yes, I am just submitting mine now. Keep that in mind when you vote in 3 years when the contest is over?)