Most Strength-screwed Ike in PoR?

So, I've just finished replaying through Path of Radiance and it feels good to have a capable main character. Why do I say that? Well, it's because, on my first playthrough, I was "blessed" with an "amazing" Ike. Here are a few screenshots showing him off:

2ia36kn.png

Here is Ike at 19/5 (I didn't realize he promoted at the end of the 4-part chapter (17 AFAIK), so I didn't get him the last level. As you can see, among his various other actual blessings how AMAZING his strength is.

2yw9u82.png

Here's Ike during the battle with the Black Knight. Overall, in all honesty, he's not THAT bad. Good skill, speed, defense AND surprisingly high resistance. Of course, when it comes to his most IMPORTANT stat...

33vot21.png

...yeah. To those who say that "If you lose to the BK, you suck", well here's proff that you can get an unbeatable Black Knight purely because of the RNG. (Technically it's possible to beat the Black Knight even here: I would have just needed for Aether to activate 6 times in a row AND for the Black Knight to not proc Luna once. Obviously, that's not going to happen.)

Oh, and if you think it gets better for me...

23shm3a.png

Ike at 19/20, ladies and gentlemen. Capped skill, speed and resistance with a very high defense score. All canceled out by 17 goddamn strength. He can't even wield Ragnell without a speed penalty!

27y1wlt.png

What all that led up to. And that one point of damage is due to a B-support with Soren. Seriously, if I was playing on hard mode (And therefore no Giffca) I probably would have had to restart the entire game because the final boss was just nigh-unbeatable. THIS, by the way, is why I think the whole "Can only be harmed by Ike and a few specific characters" blessed armor thing is stupid. (To a lesser extent it's still there in Radiant Dawn)

This does make me wonder: Did anyone else ever get an Ike with even less strength than me?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this was super unlucky.

In my latest playthorugh Ike's strength sucked too (did only 2 damage to BK), but I have never ever seen that he gets AS penalty by using the Ragnell.

Even with resolve his strength is still lower than / equal as his strength cap of 26. (idk if rounded down or up)

Hey now, it could be worse.

fire_emblem_sealed_sword07.png

Well, given that that's Roy, it's not completely unexpected (Even if 10 strength after promotion is a bit overkill on the "Screw You" from the RNG). But Ike has a 50% strength growth. I calculated: At 19/20, for him to have 17 strength on average, he would have needed to have a 25% strength growth.

Edited by Xtremekiwi

I always wondered if someone had to restart because of an unlucky Ike. Glad you still made it.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with having Ashnard suddenly reveal right before the finale that he has blessed armor. The armor is a plot device to allow Ike to fight the BK one on one. There exists no such reason for the Ashnard battle. Heck, the two don't even know each other. It only causes problems both in gameplay and the story for various reasons.

What's also weird, is that they were smart enough to make beating the BK optional but provided no such alternate solution for Ashnard, even though if you can't take on the former then you will probably also fail against the latter. And obvisiously Ena and Nasir are not up for the task unless very specific preperations are taken.

Although they probably at least gave Bryce the Speedwing for the specific purpose of helping out a sluggish Ike.

Edited by BrightBow

Well, given that that's Roy, it's not completely unexpected (Even if 10 strength after promotion is a bit overkill on the "Screw You" from the RNG). But Ike has a 50% strength growth. I calculated: At 19/20, for him to have 17 strength on average, he would have needed to have a 25% strength growth.

It actually has a sub-1% chance of occurring. In fact, Ike has a 63% chance of maxing Strength at 19/20.

I think mekkah's had like 7 str at Level 15, but I'll wait on him to chime in.

This happened to me once, but I just ended up BEXP/Reset-abusing until Ike proc'd strength for every level up. It was costly though.

PoR always gives me the worst RNG luck, and I have no idea why.

Edited by Radiant head

I laughed when I saw the 0 damage BK battle. Holy shit this is sad. I have absurd luck in this game (including a STR capped Marcia at lv 6, average she caps at 20/20.)

Wow... that Ike...

You have to admit it's actually pretty amazing in how determined he didn't want good Strength. 1/4 of those Strength increases were from his promotion gains.

Heh, that's true. In fact, when he got his promotion, he got, from his promotion, one less then he did from the previous 18 levels.

I laughed when I saw the 0 damage BK battle. Holy shit this is sad. I have absurd luck in this game (including a STR capped Marcia at lv 6, average she caps at 20/20.)

As consolation, I guess, the second time I played through PoR (During whick Ike, up until the battle with the Black Knight, was painfully mediocre, but still with better strength), I had a Boyd with 19 speed at 20/0. He capped it at 20/10. Needless to say he was my MVP of the entire run (insert non-existent Boyd smiley here).

I'm not sure what they were thinking with having Ashnard suddenly reveal right before the finale that he has blessed armor. The armor is a plot device to allow Ike to fight the BK one on one. There exists no such reason for the Ashnard battle. Heck, the two don't even know each other. It only causes problems both in gameplay and the story for various reasons.

Yeah I find this incredibly frustrating. Especially in HM when he goes after you. Like I have no problem with Ashnard attacking my characters. I just wish they could counter them instead of just being helpless. It's like all the effort I put into training them goes to waste.

At least Elincia should be able to hurt him. I dunno if Amiti counts as a blessed sword.

Edited by Radiant head

The worst part is that Ashnard has a programmed weakness to bows... but no bows are blessed, so it does nothing.

But yeah that's pretty sad. Last time I played FE9 he got Def screwed hard. Didn't stand a chance against the BK, but yours had even less chance.

Hey now, it could be worse.

fire_emblem_sealed_sword07.png

My sympathies

The funny thing is he's probably still easily kill Idoun.

I always wondered if someone had to restart because of an unlucky Ike. Glad you still made it.

What's also weird, is that they were smart enough to make beating the BK optional but provided no such alternate solution for Ashnard, even though if you can't take on the former then you will probably also fail against the latter. And obvisiously Ena and Nasir are not up for the task unless very specific preperations are taken.

Although they probably at least gave Bryce the Speedwing for the specific purpose of helping out a sluggish Ike.

I'd take that over final bosses who kind of just roll over and die (FE6, 7) or bosses who ORKO the Lord no matter what (FE11). It's nice to have some purpose or reasoning to actually train the Lord and make them important to finishing the game, since it's a natural inclination.

I had an Ike with 13 str in PoR after promotion once. Yeah...I abandoned that file later. xP

A str-screwed Ike doesn't even make sense at all lol. He's supposed to be very strong physically. :P

Capping RES of all stats though, that's not something you usually see in an Ike.

Edited by Anacybele

I had an Ike with 13 str in PoR after promotion once. Yeah...I abandoned that file later. xP

A str-screwed Ike doesn't even make sense at all lol. He's supposed to be very strong physically. :P

Capping RES of all stats though, that's not something you usually see in an Ike.

I've gotten very lucky with PoR Ike. I've had him cap res twice, I think, though I probably used at least one talisman on him.

My personal record is 11 strength. He also had skill so poor that he could miss with Aether. The only good thing was that he had super high res and defense, so he couldn't die, but he couldn't KILL anything either.

Anna decides who's buff and who isn't. Despite the similarity of your name to the RNG Goddess, you are not Anna, Ana.

You're just Ana... cybele.

Yeah, I've had some pretty bad Ikes Str-wise in PoR. I think he started to be acceptable after promotion though but I seriously think he only proc'd Str once before L15.