Analysis and speculation of character personalities

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the sense Kamui is more serious than Robin--probably just because this is a more serious game. But Kamui's set expression seems to be a scowl. Perhaps s/he's moody?

Maybe they are moody(XD), I think the serious nature comes from Kamui's tragic life story.

I like everyone's ideas. I think the main thing that we all want is better, more fully-developed characters. And hopefully, there will be unique ones as well.

As long as they make the character's personality make sense, i will be satisfied.

(Also, for any confusion about the hand/body language thing: In ancient European culture, it would be respectful to extend your right arm, as it is your weapon hand. In ancient Asian culture, we cannot pull from traditional greeting customs, as that would be bowing. But i do know that Ryouma is not letting his guard down even for his own brother, which in a subtle way, makes me like Marx better as a person.)

I wouldn't really blame ryouma for not trusting kamui. I mean, even if kamui is his little brother/sister, kamui was raised by Hoshido's enemy and they only met a few days ago (or something, but I don't think there is a lot of time between meeting your lost family and making a choice). And I don't think that makes marx a better person, just more confident of kamui's choice.

I wouldn't really blame ryouma for not trusting kamui. I mean, even if kamui is his little brother/sister, kamui was raised by Hoshido's enemy and they only met a few days ago (or something, but I don't think there is a lot of time between meeting your lost family and making a choice). And I don't think that makes marx a better person, just more confident of kamui's choice.

Oh, i don't mean Marx is a better person, and I don't blame Ryouma either. I personally prefer someone who trusts me is all. I think they are both good guys, though.

My thoughts exactly. It's only natural that Ryoma would be cautious of his own brother when said brother spent most of his life with an enemy nation. The only reason Kamui has to side against Nohr is Hoshido's moral superiority. If not for that, his personal bonds with his Nohr family would win every time, and Ryoma is probably aware of that.

I've gotten the impression that she's distant, rather than shy, if that helps. We'll defrost the ice queen, of course - nothing can stand against the thigh holes.

Wait but that means that the male Kamui is incapable of doing that for having pants. Female Kamui canon?

Wait but that means that the male Kamui is incapable of doing that for having pants. Female Kamui canon?

I mean it's only logical. Maybe she'll warm up to his turtleneck, but what's that compared to thigh holes?

I mean it's only logical. Maybe she'll warm up to his turtleneck, but what's that compared to thigh holes?

It's a weapon triangle: Female Kamui's thigh holes beat Male Kamui's turtleneck, Camilla's ridiculous bust beats the thigh holes, and the turtleneck- wait, no, the turtleneck doesn't beat anything...

I get the sense Kamui is more serious than Robin--probably just because this is a more serious game. But Kamui's set expression seems to be a scowl. Perhaps s/he's moody?

Kamui's expression reminds me of Chrom's, honestly, quite serious and "in charge". I just hope he's not gonna be a "Boy Scout Lord", a purely white character that tries to do good to all, I'd honestly like him to have some bad personality traits. Gonna go off on a limb here, but it'd be cool if they took the "Past, Present, and Future" dealies from FE12 and made them so they actually effect Kamui's personality, with and "asset" and "flaw" personality wise, along with his/her growth rates. Like you could make him kind, but jealous of his loved ones, or "brave, but somewhat dim" or something like "smart, but lacks people skills of any kind". That'd definitely be me. But I guess I just have to deal with whatever the devs do. It's not my decision.

As for Blarth, I don't think he'll be sadistic, I think he'll be kinda like Lon'Qu or Marissa, unsociable, but extremely driven. He'll be really serious and brooding.

I think Camilla is going to be very caring, but I also have a feeling that, in localization, she's gonna be the subject of all the jokes, like unintentionally embarrassing Kamui left and right because that's just what they do in localization.

I think Ryouma is going to be a man of few words, and is very calm, but is very "muh honor"-y, as seen when he flat out challenges Kamui to a duel after he joins Nohr.

I think Marx is gonna be super patriotic, and much like Chrom, serious and tough, but kind, although he seems to not want to believe that his country is in the wrong (e.g. "Father couldn't be evil" quote from the first trailer.)

If Tsubaski is a man, I think he's gonna be a lot like Libra, just without the priestyness. He probably won't mind getting mistaken for a woman, because he seems to be of that type of personality.

Kazahnna (or however you spell it) looks like she'll act a lot like Serra or Lissa, loud and somewhat goofy.

Saizou... I'm not really sure. He looks more like a generic enemy boss, but I think he'll be really serious, never smiling, always angry-seeming, like Gerome, but quieter and without the comedic interaction with others.

Archer boy seems very serious about his duty, and wouldn't hesitate to take anyone out if they threaten his country.

I don't wanna even talk about the two little sisters. They're gonna be Lissa.... But not... Lissa. They are gonna be overly cute, ladylike sisters, and that's it.

Hinoka seems super tomboyish, and kinda gives off a vibe of "gotta proof muh self"

Dancer girl doesn't seem shy, she just seems lost in thought, distracted. Much like Lucina.

All in all, I hope they're all not too serious, I like seriousness, but in small doses, and with a little bit of comedy in between so it's not all too boring and serious.

Marx seems like he will be somewhat callous to me, by the way he in no way hesitates to cut Kamui down should you choose Hoshido. I know that's just being a good soldiee, but come on--Kamui has been a sibling to him forever. I also get the sense his perception of right and wrong 's very simplistic.

Blarth seems like he could be Soren-esque to me.

Tsubaki's probably okay with being mistaken for a woman. Maybe they named him Tsubaki because he's supposed to be androgynous.

Ryouma seems serious, but very family- and culture-oriented.

Aqua is probably grim, serious, and intentionally mysterious.

Camilla will probably be outgoing and flirty, much like Heather.

Archer has very kind eyes, in my opinion. I assume he's naïve and caring.

Hinoka might be a less crude Sully.

I imAgine Kazahana being cheeky and bubbly, like Cynthia minus the "I am the hero!"bit.

Marx seems like he will be somewhat callous to me, by the way he in no way hesitates to cut Kamui down should you choose Hoshido. I know that's just being a good soldiee, but come on--Kamui has been a sibling to him forever. I also get the sense his perception of right and wrong 's very simplistic.

Blarth seems like he could be Soren-esque to me.

Tsubaki's probably okay with being mistaken for a woman. Maybe they named him Tsubaki because he's supposed to be androgynous.

Ryouma seems serious, but very family- and culture-oriented.

Aqua is probably grim, serious, and intentionally mysterious.

Camilla will probably be outgoing and flirty, much like Heather.

Archer has very kind eyes, in my opinion. I assume he's naïve and caring.

Hinoka might be a less crude Sully.

I imAgine Kazahana being cheeky and bubbly, like Cynthia minus the "I am the hero!"bit.

Maybe Marx' sense of right and wrong will be simplistic at the start. However, we've seen him question his father's actions in the teaser trailer, so it looks as if though he'll come around.

Kazahana strikes me as the next Sumia, but that might just be the hair. Hinoka has tomboy written all over her, but at least her design doesn't scream "special snowflake", so I've got high hopes for her!

Maybe Marx' sense of right and wrong will be simplistic at the start. However, we've seen him question his father's actions in the teaser trailer, so it looks as if though he'll come around.

Kazahana strikes me as the next Sumia, but that might just be the hair. Hinoka has tomboy written all over her, but at least her design doesn't scream "special snowflake", so I've got high hopes for her!

I concur. Marx will probably have a decent dosage of character development. I have a soft spot for attractive dudes with evil fathers (re: Prince Zuko) and brooding, angsty behavior.

As far as Kazhana goes, I imagine she will be fairly competent, in comparison to Sumia. And I believe she asserts herself as Kamui's most trusted lieutenant, so she most likely doesn't have full-blown inferiority complex.

I concur. Marx will probably have a decent dosage of character development. I have a soft spot for attractive dudes with evil fathers (re: Prince Zuko) and brooding, angsty behavior.

As far as Kazhana goes, I imagine she will be fairly competent, in comparison to Sumia. And I believe she asserts herself as Kamui's most trusted lieutenant, so she most likely doesn't have full-blown inferiority complex.

Zuko also happens to be one of the best written characters in any entertainment media, in my opinion, so that might be a factor.

Oh, I agree on that, but she looks...goofy, right?

Zuko also happens to be one of the best written characters in any entertainment media, in my opinion, so that might be a factor.

Oh, I agree on that, but she looks...goofy, right?

I agree. Her face reminds me of Henry, so I can't imagine her being too serious.

I really like your analysis of each of the characters. They pretty much back up what I already felt about them. I love the ones about Marx and Ryouma, especially Marx. Thanks for pointing out him passing the weapon to his off hand. That makes me like him even more. I can't wait to find out more about Book Bro, too. He has potential to be an interesting character.

Oh god, please no one like Sully. She always acts like she's oppressed or whatever, but there is clearly no sexism in Ylisse. I'd say she was a Straw Feminist, but we're clearly supposed to sympathize with her.

Oh god, please no one like Sully. She always acts like she's oppressed or whatever, but there is clearly no sexism in Ylisse. I'd say she was a Straw Feminist, but we're clearly supposed to sympathize with her.

not gonna lie, when i first saw and heard of her (my first run of awakening) i was like "did nintendo add a social justice warrior?"

I wonder how they will handle Kamui and the choices theme that If seems to have. Will the choices mainly just be plot events or will they allow us choose different dialogue options when Kamui talks so that we can make a custom personality. Part of me wants there to be the ability to actively choose a personality, but the other part of me knows that the part of me that wants that is a horrible person and should never allowed to be able to do anything. Ever.

Edited by Asoleos

I'm honestly pretty pessimistic when it comes to Kamui. None of the main characters in the series have really stuck with me (the one I've got most memories of is Chrom due to playing the straight man in crazy DLC) and since Kamui seems to be another variant of Robin (so bland that anyone can see him/herself as him/her), my expectations aren't that high.

Now don't get me wrong, I definitely HOPE Kamui will be an interesting character, and I HOPE we can get to choose what to say and how to say it, but I don't think it's going to happen. The game will most likely kick all sorts of ass regardless, but I think it'll be in spite of Kamui, not thanks to him/her.

Edited by Thane

I'm honestly pretty pessimistic when it comes to Kamui. None of the main characters in the series have really stuck with me (the one I've got most memories of is Chrom due to playing the straight man in crazy DLC) and since Kamui seems to be another variant of Robin (so bland that anyone can see him/herself as him/her), my expectations aren't that high.

Now don't get me wrong, I definitely HOPE Kamui will be an interesting character, and I HOPE we can get to choose what to say and how to say it, but I don't think it's going to happen. The game will most likely kick all sorts of ass regardless, but I think it'll be in spite of Kamui, not thanks to him/her.

Self-insert characters are incredibly difficult to do right, the closest I've seen to a self insert character done well is Ludger from Tales of Xillia 2. Although he's more of a silent protagonist that you can make some choices with rather than a self-insert. I really want Kamui to be good but its hard considering what he/she is.

Thanks for getting me out of the casual vs classic thread

They are, and I don't deny that. However, the overall writing of Fire Emblem hasn't been that great in my experience. It's passable and definitely entertaining with a few gems here and there, particularly when it comes to character interactions, but it can't compare to games that a lot of games that focus more heavily on storytelling. Fortunately, its charm and incredible gameplay makes up for the mediocre writing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that that might be the reason why I'm more than a little skeptical when it comes to Kamui.

Not even competent story writers like Atlus make good self-insert characters, but I guess the rest of the cast makes up for that.

Kamui will most likely be a blank slate with everything being customizable, and that's a shame to me. While I know some people get more engaged in a story that way, I feel it hinders the immersion, since the game has to be built around a customizable main character - as a direct result, he or she can't appear in cutscenes, for instance.

As long as we don't get another Micaiah, things should be fine, I guess.

And you're welcome; there's nothing to be said in that thread. I know where some people are coming from, since the pain of losing a favorite video game franchise to mainstream blandness is pretty frustrating, but it won't happen to Fire Emblem, and casual mode in a single-player game doesn't affect anybody's gaming experience.

Edited by Thane

They are, and I don't deny that. However, the overall writing of Fire Emblem hasn't been that great in my experience. It's passable and definitely entertaining with a few gems here and there, particularly when it comes to character interactions, but it can't compare to games that a lot of games that focus more heavily on storytelling. Fortunately, its charm and incredible gameplay makes up for the mediocre writing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that that might be the reason why I'm more than a little skeptical when it comes to Kamui.

Not even competent story writers like Atlus make good self-insert characters, but I guess the rest of the cast makes up for that.

Kamui will most likely be a blank slate with everything being customizable, and that's a shame to me. While I know some people get more engaged in a story that way, I feel it hinders the immersion, since the game has to be built around a customizable main character - as a direct result, he or she can't appear in cutscenes, for instance.

As long as we don't get another Micaiah, things should be fine, I guess.

And you're welcome; there's nothing to be said in that thread. I know where some people are coming from, since the pain of losing a favorite video game franchise to mainstream blandness is pretty frustrating, but it won't happen to Fire Emblem, and casual mode in a single-player game doesn't affect anybody's gaming experience.

I feel that the writing in all Fire Emblems aren't across the board amazing because they have so many characters. Most others have a central cast of 6 to 10 characters that they really delve into. That allows them more time and depth to be applied to each character. Fire Emblem has large casts in order to work with its game play mechanics, as such not as much time can be divided between all the characters. Most of it goes to the main lords with other characters taking a backseat to them. Awakening tried to fix this with more supports but it had the opposite problem. Over saturation come into play once they got into it. Hopefully If can find the balance between what Awakening did and what older games did.

Atlus with their SMT games, the self-inserts boil down to do you want to join Law, Chaos or Neutral with the character having a few dialogue options here and there.

If Kamui is a blank slate I'll do what I did in Awakening and put in my own head canon content, but hey that can be fun in of itself. From what we've seen of the cut scene in which Kamui is in Hoshido is similar to Awakening in which the outfit is visibile but the head is not, they just have be creative since the hood is not on Kamui's design.

Edited by Asoleos

I feel that the writing in all Fire Emblems aren't across the board amazing because they have so many characters. Most others have a central cast of 6 to 10 characters that they really delve into. That allows them more time and depth to be applied to each character. Fire Emblem has large casts in order to work with its game play mechanics, as such not as much time can be divided between all the characters. Most of it goes to the main lords with other characters taking a backseat to them. Awakening tried to fix this with more supports but it had the opposite problem. Over saturation come into play once they got into it. Hopefully If can find the balance between what Awakening did and what older games did.

Atlus with their SMT games, the self-inserts boil down to do you want to join Law, Chaos or Neutral with the character having a few dialogue options here and there.

If Kamui is a blank slate I'll do what I did in Awakening and put in my own head canon content, but hey that can be fun in of itself. From what we've seen of the cut scene in which Kamui is in Hoshido is similar to Awakening in which the outfit is visibile but the head is not, they just have be creative since the hood is not on Kamui's design.

I actually specifically avoided mentioning the series' huge cast since I don't think that really is what makes the writing somewhat lackluster. It may be a contributing factor, but if you compare the worldbuilding of Fire Emblem with any Bethesda game, you'll notice a striking difference. Obviously, there's not where Fire Emblem's focus lies, but I always feel as if the worlds themselves are a bit hollow, and that's just one example off the top of my head. I hope I'm not coming across as hating blindly on the franchise; I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't like it, obviously. I just feel like there are areas where they definitely could improve. Awakening blew me away and I consider it the best game on the 3DS, so I'm just giving it some tough love.

I was referring more to the now-more popular Persona 3 and 4, to be exact. You're a calm, collected, drop-dead gorgeous, special snowflake who solves everyone's problems by listening and then you have around six girlfriends at once. I feel as if though it's just straight-up wish fulfillment at that point, especially considering you stick out like a sore thumb when you're around much more complex and intriguing characters (who can never call you by your name).

But you see, you bring up points that I personally don't enjoy. Like I stated earlier, I know a lot of people like this and that's all well and good, I wouldn't want everything to be catered specifically to me, that'd be boring, but I'm on this forum to share my point of view and discuss so that's what I'm going to do.

First of all, yes, headcanons can be mildly entertaining if they expand upon what is already there; creating entire stories in your head to make things go together is not. This is exactly why Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies will always be a failure in my eyes, because the dreadful, DREADFUL backstory we got to the de facto most important character in the game demanded it, but I shouldn't derail yet another thread with the discussion of a niche game within a niche series forum.

Secondly, that's exactly what I mean by the game having to revolve around the customizable Avatar: they've got to find strange ways to include him/her. He or she won't ever get to speak, and that usually breaks the immersion for me at once. Either they have to fill in the blanks à la the Legend of Zelda (whatsyournameohyournameislinkthatsafunname!), or they just have to keep avoiding the subject of Kamui's name, appearance and give him a reason to be silent in every cutscene he might be in.

I actually specifically avoided mentioning the series' huge cast since I don't think that really is what makes the writing somewhat lackluster. It may be a contributing factor, but if you compare the worldbuilding of Fire Emblem with any Bethesda game, you'll notice a striking difference. Obviously, there's not where Fire Emblem's focus lies, but I always feel as if the worlds themselves are a bit hollow, and that's just one example off the top of my head. I hope I'm not coming across as hating blindly on the franchise; I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't like it, obviously. I just feel like there are areas where they definitely could improve. Awakening blew me away and I consider it the best game on the 3DS, so I'm just giving it some tough love.

I was referring more to the now-more popular Persona 3 and 4, to be exact. You're a calm, collected, drop-dead gorgeous, special snowflake who solves everyone's problems by listening and then you have around six girlfriends at once. I feel as if though it's just straight-up wish fulfillment at that point, especially considering you stick out like a sore thumb when you're around much more complex and intriguing characters (who can never call you by your name).

But you see, you bring up points that I personally don't enjoy. Like I stated earlier, I know a lot of people like this and that's all well and good, I wouldn't want everything to be catered specifically to me, that'd be boring, but I'm on this forum to share my point of view and discuss so that's what I'm going to do.

First of all, yes, headcanons can be mildly entertaining if they expand upon what is already there; creating entire stories in your head to make things go together is not. This is exactly why Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies will always be a failure in my eyes, because the dreadful, DREADFUL backstory we got to the de facto most important character in the game demanded it, but I shouldn't derail yet another thread with the discussion of a niche game within a niche series forum.

Secondly, that's exactly what I mean by the game having to revolve around the customizable Avatar: they've got to find strange ways to include him/her. He or she won't ever get to speak, and that usually breaks the immersion for me at once. Either they have to fill in the blanks à la the Legend of Zelda (whatsyournameohyournameislinkthatsafunname!), or they just have to keep avoiding the subject of Kamui's name, appearance and give him a reason to be silent in every cutscene he might be in.

Now that you mention Skyrim and ones like it I see your point. Large Cast does not equal bad characters. Perhaps I was wrong in my theory but there in comes the problem of what missing in the equation. I also know that you don't dislike the game and neither do I, but there is nothing in this world that is above critique and improvement. I merely want to see where we can improve on what we already like.

Ah yes Persona, forgive I just got off an SMT game and Persona completely passed over my mind despite playing 3 and 4 a lot. In that even the people who aren't in your party get a good bit of development and can be considered good characters through social links. The question is where they get formula and how can we steal it.

I agree with head canons, I should have stated that I begrudgingly because I disliked the Avatars very basic personality. I love Awakening but the Avatar can be boring at times due to the role he/she plays as the self insert. Thus why I want Kamui to have a developed personality. Back story is also important when you leave things open and fans find a need to create head canon you've probably made a mistake in your story somewhere. There are many Link-like characters in which you put in a name, the character doesn't say much but you go running around being the most awesome mute guy ever. Soul Nomad did something similar in which the main character only talks at certain points but the character is described as being a quiet guy and the game actual mentions that a few times.

Edited by Asoleos