Analysis and speculation of character personalities

Now that you mention Skyrim and ones like it I see your point. Large Cast does not equal bad characters. Perhaps I was wrong in my theory but there in comes the problem of what missing in the equation. I also know that you don't dislike the game and neither do I, but there is nothing in this world that is above critique and improvement. I merely want to see where we can improve on what we already like.

Ah yes Persona, forgive I just got off an SMT game and Persona completely passed over my mind despite playing 3 and 4 a lot. In that even the people who aren't in your party get a good bit of development and can be considered good characters through social links. The question is where they get formula and how can we steal it.

I agree with head canons, I should have stated that I begrudgingly because I disliked the Avatars very basic personality. I love Awakening but the Avatar can be boring at times due to the role he/she plays as the self insert. Thus why I want Kamui to have a developed personality. Back story is also important when you leave things open and fans find a need to create head canon you've probably made a mistake in your story somewhere. There are many Link-like characters in which you put in a name, the character doesn't say much but you go running around being the most awesome mute guy ever. Soul Nomad did something similar in which the main character only talks at certain points but the character is described as being a quiet guy and the game actual mentions that a few times.

Oh, fiddlesticks I meant Bioware. Ah well, Bethesda works, too.

No worries. I just find Minato and Yu to be bland because...well, they are, and that's the point, but I don't like it. Persona 4 remains one of my absolute favorite games of all time (although I wish they could tone down on the fan service and stop with the spin-offs; also, I'm glad they realized that Marie didn't turn out to be the amazing character they obviously thought she was when they made her), but if we had followed Yu's story with him as a real character, with a proper voice and his own name, then that would have helped with the story so much. It's more than a bit odd that everybody in Inaba loves him because he lets people talk about their problems, which solves everything from getting over crushes to mending family ties.

They also really, really have to get away from that GOD DAMN F***ING OMNIPRESENT HIGH SCHOOL SEETING

Indeed. As long as they don't do anything too crazy, then Kamui being his own character is far better than being a blank slate pretty much no matter what personality he gets. I hope the game really shows that he's troubled over the situation he's in and that he can grow because of it. Of course, that's not all, but it's a start. However, that is probably the thing I'm most confident they'll get right, unlike his probable lack of personality.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too would prefer if Kamui had their own personality. I loved having a self insert for Fire Emblem Awakening, but I don't know how I feel about twice in a row. Kamui is already an established character, and as far as we know they do not suffer from poor/memory/loss. So it would be a little disappointing to see them have little personality when they really should. Besides, I think I would connect with the characters better if I had some sort of established history with them aside from, your dad took me, then we were siblings, lol, now we a happy family. da End.

Kamui is confirmed to be a self-insert character; the Fire Emblem Twitter even tweeted about it shortly after the Nintendo Direct.

Idealy, I'm 100% for giving them plenty of dialogue options with versatile tones. Self-insert characters are easier to immerse yourself in when you're able to influence their personalities. Given that Kamui is the main character and probably won't have someone to speak in place of them most of the time, it's unlikely. Marx or Ryouma could fit the role, but they seem to come in later and would thus leave you at a complete loss for several chapters. At the very least, it'd be fantastic if Kamui turns out to be sarcastic or witty -- perhaps even grouchy or apathetic, someone who enjoys fooling around or teasing their siblings and has explicit hobbies or interests -- but unfortunately...

JRPG protagonists are all pretty bland in general (The amount of games with leads shouting "Justice!" and "Teamwork!" is unbelievable), so I'm not expecting much. Rather, I am entirely expecting Kamui to fit the very same standards.

With that said, the polygamy and unmatched strength of the latest two Persona protagonists are, without a doubt, pandering towards the player's ego in the same way that Robin and, most likely, Kamui do with their broken stats. Not only do you get to be a lord with a cool, unique weapon and a dragon as Kamui, you get to have an entire crowd of people fight over you. If that's not meant to boost your confidence, what is?

Regardless, I enjoyed the dialogue options in SMT games. You can be a complete jerk to everyone if you so elect to be (which is the best way to play, if you ask me), and I still stand by how much I love that Devil Survivor: Overclocked allows you to decide whether you want to go down the chaos path for the sake of the good of mankind or for your own sadistic pleasures -- which is something I would equally adore for them to include in the Nohr side. It seems like they're pushing for the "I'm going with Nohr because they raised me." path, which is fine and dandy and better than being two-dimensionally evil, but if you're advertising greed in the trailer, you should at the very least grant the player the ability to succum to that instead.

Hinoka: I didn't really get the impression that she was a "tomboy". Her haircut might be typically tomboyish, but she didn't give off that vibe to me. She seems to me very serious, battle devoted and loyal, like she wants to protect someone or something very close to her.

Hinoka: I didn't really get the impression that she was a "tomboy". Her haircut might be typically tomboyish, but she didn't give off that vibe to me. She seems to me very serious, battle devoted and loyal, like she wants to protect someone or something very close to her.

I get this similar vibe. She seems like a down to earth kind of girl who just has to fight for those she cares about.

Oh god, please no one like Sully. She always acts like she's oppressed or whatever, but there is clearly no sexism in Ylisse. I'd say she was a Straw Feminist, but we're clearly supposed to sympathize with her.

I never saw her that way. As far as the 'knight' classes go, it's pretty much a "boys club" with only Sully and her daughter being the exceptions. All of the female characters from Ylisse are either Pegasus riders (associated with feminine grace) or magic users. I don't personally enjoy "girl with the mouth of a sailor" characters but I don't think she was an out of context straw feminist.

As long as we don't get another Micaiah, things should be fine, I guess.

What do people dislike so much about Micaiah? She followed a pretty common Joan of Arc archtype for the section of the game focused on her and she only became a toolbag later on because of the stupidity of blood contracts. That's the fault of the story writers and less Micaiah's character.

Personally I liked her for being one of the few people not to jump on Ike's dick, something she snarks about when Sothe is singing him praise.

People who think Sully is a radical feminist have obviously never actually met a member of the feminist movement. Sully is more like "Bro, it doesn't matter that I'm a girl, I got this."

Now Kjelle on the other hand, Kjelle I have a problem with, since she's got the whole "lol you weak MAN" misandry thing going on.

English Sully, at least, is about being a good fighter and constant self-improvement. I feel like a lot of people write her off without actually reading her supports. As far as awakening gimmicks go, the swearing is honestly mild and is more likely an attempt at trying to localize a female character using the pronoun "boku" since it's hard to get across in english.

I don't think her characterization is perfect, especially considering characterization overall in awakening isn't its strongest suit, but realize that "masculine" women are that way because personality traits aren't actually inherently gendered and sometimes we just feel like society puts us in a box because they way we prefer to act is very different from the way society defines femininity. Sully's thing wasn't specifically trying to fight projected Ylissean sexism (although while it feels more equal than even most modern societies there's still some expectations of gendered behavior there and the feeling of being different than what society expects of you is very real and relatable) it was mainly"oh I'm from a family of knights and I grew up with rowdy brothers so I picked up all this slang from them especially since they died so it's honoring their memory that I do this and I want to be a good-damn knight based on ability and not getting spoon-fed that title based on noble birth" and I feel that's entirely fair of her to do.

Japanese Sully played the gender thing harder and I didn't like her character as much there, but understand that Japan has a different treatment of gender than the western world and should be treated with cultural sensitivity. I'm not Japanese so I'm not qualified to speak for Japan in particular, though I will also note that Chinese societies play up gender roles a lot heavier than western societies and we are kinda next door (ocean? sea?) neighbors.

Anyway I agree that Hinoka is not necessarily a "tomboy" just because she looks kinda like Sully with the short hair. The way they carry themselves is entirely different. Also every Hoshidan man shown so far has long hair.

Edited by Thor Odinson

What do people dislike so much about Micaiah? She followed a pretty common Joan of Arc archtype for the section of the game focused on her and she only became a toolbag later on because of the stupidity of blood contracts. That's the fault of the story writers and less Micaiah's character.

Personally I liked her for being one of the few people not to jump on Ike's dick, something she snarks about when Sothe is singing him praise.

I realize this may be a tainted discussion and a beyond-beaten horse at this point, but since I have never discussed her before, I think I'll give my two cents.

A good character should never have the story warped around them to suit their needs. The problem with Micaiah is that she has far too many traits, abilities and things to make her a special little snowflake, but the worst part is how the story seems to serve her, rather than the other way around. My memories of the game are a bit hazy since I haven't played it in years and it never really spoke to me, but I remember how everything seemed to revolve around her and it really destroyed any suspension of disbelief, and I just assumed everything was fair game in the story at that point.

My favorite idiom of all time is: "you can make the audience believe the impossible, but not the improbable", something that was ignored when they were writing Micaiah.

I will agree that her best trait is how she doesn't just praise Ike. I never really cared for Ike either; his whole "don't take no crap from no nobles" shtick got very old, very quickly.

Note how I never said anything about either of them being Mary Sues! Due to differing ideas of what that term means, using it in a debate like this serves absolutely no purpose. - A character can have Sue traits, however, and Micaiah and Ike have them in spades.

A good character should never have the story warped around them to suit their needs. The problem with Micaiah is that she has far too many traits, abilities and things to make her a special little snowflake, but the worst part is how the story seems to serve her, rather than the other way around.

Did the story really serve her? Micaiah was the main character of the first part of the game, covering events that were incredibly minor compared to the significance of the story yet to unfold. Who was the main character after that? Ike. Micaiah stuck around to be handed idiot balls and conflict balls by the writers and occasionally to be the host for Yune. As far as "being too much of a special snowflake", I think this is an odd criticism for a main character. People become main characters BECAUSE they have things that set them apart from everyone else.

I will agree that her best trait is how she doesn't just praise Ike. I never really cared for Ike either; his whole "don't take no crap from no nobles" shtick got very old, very quickly.

Note how I never said anything about either of them being Mary Sues! Due to differing ideas of what that term means, using it in a debate like this serves absolutely no purpose. - A character can have Sue traits, however, and Micaiah and Ike have them in spades.

This is my biggest point of contention. Micaiah has some Mary Sue traits but Ike has even more of them. Ike is loved by virtually everyone he meets, gets an extremely powerful sword and Aether, and even becomes the main character of Micaiah's game! You can't even beat the final boss without him. Despite all of this, Micaiah is frequently cited as one of the worst main characters and Ike as one of the best.

Disclaimer, I don't dislike Ike nor do I love Micaiah, I just find the double-standards held by the fandom to be confusing. It's grating because IS actually gave us a main character that wasn't another blue haired swordsman, but they utilized her so poorly.

Edited by NekoKnight

I would agree that being the main character, it's logical for Micaiah to be at the center of part 1's plot. Her major fault in my opinion is that overall, she's a huuuge loose end that should have been hinted at more throughout Path or Radiance. Since it wasn't, it made it seem like she came out of nowhere, hence the Mary Sue criticism. Even in Radiant Dawn, the justification for her importance and abilities comes way too late, so for most of the game, she's great because, period. Otherwise, she's okay to me, I even like her quite a bit.

As for Ike, it's the complete opposite. All in all he's a character that's loved and admired by everyone, is extremely strong, and always right. The game also keeps tiping the scale in his favor for stupid reasons. Going against Micaiah, who can see the future? Well she was tired that day, so Ike wins. People from Micaiah's side can defect to his, and every meaningful battle between the two has you taking the side of Ike except for 3-13, where you pretty much lose. He actually wouldn't be able to face the Black knight without Yune's powers, but that's quickly written off by the game and displayed as his own accomplishment, and he's the one who defeats the final boss. But, he's Ike. We liked him in PoR, and maybe Brawl for people who played RD late. That's a huge redeeming factor.

Overall they're both fairly bad I'd say, but as someone who knows the plot, Ike is looking much, much worse than Micaiah to me nowadays.

Edited by Cysx

Did the story really serve her? Micaiah was the main character of the first part of the game, covering events that were incredibly minor compared to the significance of the story yet to unfold. Who was the main character after that? Ike. Micaiah stuck around to be handed idiot balls and conflict balls by the writers and occasionally to be the host for Yune. As far as "being too much of a special snowflake", I think this is an odd criticism for a main character. People become main characters BECAUSE they have things that set them apart from everyone else.

This is my biggest point of contention. Micaiah has some Mary Sue traits but Ike has even more of them. Ike is loved by virtually everyone he meets, gets an extremely powerful sword and Aether, and even becomes the main character of Micaiah's game! You can't even beat the final boss without him. Despite all of this, Micaiah is frequently cited as one of the worst main characters and Ike as one of the best.

Disclaimer, I don't dislike Ike nor do I love Micaiah, I just find the double-standards held by the fandom to be confusing. It's grating because IS actually gave us a main character that wasn't another blue haired swordsman, but they utilized her so poorly.

I get where you're coming from, but I must disagree with you. Ike, while his inexplicable popularity with everyone is frustrating, at least has something...how should I put it, humble about him.

While focusing solely on traits, abilities and such things don't necessarily mean anything by themselves, having a surplus of them makes the character incredibly improbable. If we were to compare what Micaiah and Ike can do that's "special", who both know who'd get the longer list.

And yes, the story did center around Micaiah, as far as I remember. From the first, incredibly stupid conflict to the nonsense with the gods to the Begnion empire, it all came back to Micaiah. Still, I don't particularly care for either of them as main characters, but Micaiah destroyed ANY semblance of suspension of disbelief, so I just didn't care about the story, since I just assumed anything could happen at that point.

I'm getting horrible Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies flashbacks.

I would agree that being the main character, it's logical for Micaiah to be at the center of part 1's plot. Her major fault in my opinion is that overall, she's a huuuge loose end that should have been hinted at more throughout Path or Radiance. Since it wasn't, it made it seem like she came out of nowhere, hence the Mary Sue criticism. Even in Radiant Dawn, the justification for her importance and abilities comes way too late, so for most of the game, she's great because, period. Otherwise, she's okay to me, I even like her quite a bit.

I don't think Path of Radiance really needed to foreshadow her. Micaiah didn't know about her true identity before Radiant Dawn nor did she have a reason to be involved with the plot until Begnion occupied Daein. It's a new game and new games get new characters. Although not named specifically, Sothe does tell Ike that he's been searching for Micaiah so there IS some foreshadowing going on, however minor.

I get where you're coming from, but I must disagree with you. Ike, while his inexplicable popularity with everyone is frustrating, at least has something...how should I put it, humble about him.

While focusing solely on traits, abilities and such things don't necessarily mean anything by themselves, having a surplus of them makes the character incredibly improbable. If we were to compare what Micaiah and Ike can do that's "special", who both know who'd get the longer list.

And yes, the story did center around Micaiah, as far as I remember. From the first, incredibly stupid conflict to the nonsense with the gods to the Begnion empire, it all came back to Micaiah. Still, I don't particularly care for either of them as main characters, but Micaiah destroyed ANY semblance of suspension of disbelief, so I just didn't care about the story, since I just assumed anything could happen at that point.

Ike's humbleness is one of his selling points, I agree, but Micaiah also has shades of this as well. As I mentioned before, Micaiah comes from (as far as she is aware anyway) humble origins and rises up to free her country from oppression, while not desiring glory or power for herself. She often puts herself at risk (literally in the case of Sacrifice) just to save as many lives as possible.

Micaiah indeed has a long list of special qualities, more than Ike, but they aren't even unique to her.

[spoiler= Radiant Dawn Character Spoilers] Micaiah is a powerful mage, gifted tactician and well as a Branded with a very exotic heritage. So is Soren.

Micaiah can see glimpses of the future and hear the voice of the goddess. That's standard for Begnion Apostles. Sanaki would have those powers too if she were the firstborn.

I don't think she needed ALL of those traits, particularly the revelation about her true identity, but I don't think the story is made worse for it.

I don't see how you can say the story centers on Micaiah. As I explained, she gets to be in charge of one portion of the story and after that she is at the mercy of the plot. She's forced into the Laguz-Begnion war because of a stupid plot device and when she finally gets to stop being retarded, she's hijacked by Yune and it's Yune who moves the plot forward. Ike never loses his agency and gets to be the badass, morally flawless hero.

I think I answered my original question. People like Ike but not Micaiah because in spite of their similarities, Micaiah was used and abused by the writers whereas Ike never fell from grace. If I could rewrite Radiant Dawn, I would get rid of all the blood-pact nonsense and ditch the post-part 1 story revelations for Micaiah because they're just clutter for what could have been an interesting and competent character.

You mentioned before that you don't want Kamui to be another Micaiah. What did you mean by that?

Edited by NekoKnight

Indeed, I'd say her kindness goes far beyond what is necessary, which, if we're going to keep talking in those terms, would give her another Sue trait.

Didn't you skip out on a few details, though? She's also...

...the rightful heir of the throne of Begnion, she becomes queen of Daein and speaks the ancient language, if memory serves. This might apply to Ike too, but isn't she also chosen by Yune somehow? My memory of that is a bit foggy.

As for the story being centered around her, I mean she warps everything to her benefit, like running into Kurthnaga of all people in a random jail somewhere. It's just that everything piles onto Micaiah in a completely different way than Ike, but like I said, I never cared for him either, and the traits Ike and Micaiah share annoy me equally, let me assure you.

I meant what we've discussed, more or less, about Kamui becoming Micaiah: too many powers, too much plot convenience, too much convoluted writing and inexplicable popularity - the risk here, of course, is greater since Kamui will be THE protagonist, who is also a self-insert, which might devoid him of personality.

Indeed, I'd say her kindness goes far beyond what is necessary, which, if we're going to keep talking in those terms, would give her another Sue trait.

...the rightful heir of the throne of Begnion, she becomes queen of Daein and speaks the ancient language, if memory serves. This might apply to Ike too, but isn't she also chosen by Yune somehow? My memory of that is a bit foggy.

As for the story being centered around her, I mean she warps everything to her benefit, like running into Kurthnaga of all people in a random jail somewhere. It's just that everything piles onto Micaiah in a completely different way than Ike, but like I said, I never cared for him either, and the traits Ike and Micaiah share annoy me equally, let me assure you.

I meant what we've discussed, more or less, about Kamui becoming Micaiah: too many powers, too much plot convenience, too much convoluted writing and inexplicable popularity - the risk here, of course, is greater since Kamui will be THE protagonist, who is also a self-insert, which might devoid him of personality.

Micaiah isn't 'chosen' by Yune. It is simply a consequence of being Lehran's descendent. Ike, on the other hand has no excuse. There is zero reason why he needs to be the one to deal the final blow on Ashera.

I don't think Path of Radiance really needed to foreshadow her. Micaiah didn't know about her true identity before Radiant Dawn nor did she have a reason to be involved with the plot until Begnion occupied Daein. It's a new game and new games get new characters. Although not named specifically, Sothe does tell Ike that he's been searching for Micaiah so there IS some foreshadowing going on, however minor.

The way I see it, Path of Radiance established too much on its universe and what was happening in it to let Micaiah completely out, considering her importance. Now making her less important would have worked just as well, and I'd probably have liked it more that way honestly. But as it stands, putting a completely new character at the center of everything in the sequel of a game that left very few stones unturned is bound to be problematic. As for Sothe's line about it, I'm glad it's there but it's just not enough. He could have been referring to a complete nobody, and I don't think he even mentions her gender.

As for the story being centered around her, I mean she warps everything to her benefit, like running into Kurthnaga of all people in a random jail somewhere.

That kind of huge coincidence is nothing out of the ordinary as far as Fire Emblem plots go, honestly, or even storytelling in general.

Edited by Cysx

Fair enough. I really need to play Radiant Dawn again. I was trying to refresh my knowledge of the story and Micaiah's involvement in it but the wiki is unusually sparse on details.

In regards to the spoilers...

Yes, she is the true Apostle and the older sister of Sanaki. I'm not sure if being able to speak the ancient tongue is an Apostle ability but considering only the Apostle can awaken Yune, I would assume so. As for why she is able to be the queen of Daein. It's discovered that Pellius is not the true heir to the throne so there is no royal family member to default to. Micaiah liberated Daein and has massive popular support so she's the next best thing for a ruler. She's the George Washington of Daein.

I won't speak any more on Micaiah beyond that I still enjoyed her character (particularly her relationship with Sothe).

I do hope Kamui is given some depth, even if it's unlikely as a self-insert character. I hope they play up Kamui being torn between two worlds so he doesn't really belong to either of them.

Edited by NekoKnight

Micaiah isn't 'chosen' by Yune. It is simply a consequence of being Lehran's descendent. Ike, on the other hand has no excuse. There is zero reason why he needs to be the one to deal the final blow on Ashera.

I see. Thank you for clearing that up. Just one question though:

that bird which is always flying around is Yune, right? Why was it so close to Micaiah?

That kind of huge coincidence is nothing out of the ordinary as far as Fire Emblem plots go, honestly, or even storytelling in general.

While true, if memory serves it's exceedingly timely and unlikely, considering not only his power, but the country he comes from. Sadly, I don't remember a lot of details regarding Radiant Dawn, so maybe I should refresh my memory before attempting to debate some finer points like this. However, I've got no real motivation to do so because I didn't particularly care for the game.

Fair enough. I really need to play Radiant Dawn again. I was trying to refresh my knowledge of the story and Micaiah's involvement in it but the wiki is unusually sparse on details.

In regards to the spoilers...

Yes, she is the true Apostle and the older sister of Sanaki. I'm not sure if being able to speak the ancient tongue is an Apostle ability but considering only the Apostle can awaken Yune, I would assume so. As for why she is able to be the queen of Daein. It's discovered that Pellius is not the true heir to the throne so there is no royal family member to default to. Micaiah liberated Daein and has massive popular support so she's the next best thing for a ruler. She's the George Washington of Daein.

I won't speak any more on Micaiah beyond that I still enjoyed her character (particularly her relationship with Sothe).

I do hope Kamui is given some depth, even if it's unlikely as a self-insert character. I hope they play up Kamui being torn between two worlds so he doesn't really belong to either of them.

You and me both. Let's leave her character there and agree to disagree.

What triggered this discussion was my concern regarding Kamui's possibility of becoming a proper character, and I'm afraid that remains unchanged. I genuinely believe they'll at least capture some of the difficult situation he's in, but I'm not so sure what they'll do with the rest of his character. The best would be to allow us to have a say in his development, but I highly doubt that'll happen.

Is it just me or Male!Kamui and Female!Kamui seem to have different personalities? Judging from their portraits and official art, Male!Kamui seems to be more serious and composed while Female!Kamui seems to be more goofy and fun-loving. I could be grasping straws here but this what I'm getting vibes from.

Is it just me or Male!Kamui and Female!Kamui seem to have different personalities? Judging from their portraits and official art, Male!Kamui seems to be more serious and composed while Female!Kamui seems to be more goofy and fun-loving. I could be grasping straws here but this what I'm getting vibes from.

I don't think so, considering they had basically the same contrast back in New Mystery.

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/new-mystery-of-the-emblem/small-art/player2.png

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/new-mystery-of-the-emblem/small-art/player3.png

Edited by BrightBow

...And? FE14 isn't the same game as FE12. Kamui is the main character of FE14 while Kris was just a side character. In Awakening, Female Robin and Male Robin had differences in their personality so why can't the Kamui's be different?

Not to mention, dialogue choices has been confirmed so there you go. :P

...And? FE14 isn't the same game as FE12. Kamui is the main character of FE14 while Kris was just a side character. In Awakening, Female Robin and Male Robin had differences in their personality so why can't the Kamui's be different?

Not to mention, dialogue choices has been confirmed so there you go. :P

I'm just saying that the art doesn't need to mean anything if the PCs are always draw them like that. Also, female Robin shared almost all of her dialogue with male Robin, so I'm not sure what sort of significantly different personality she is supposed to have. And the existence of dialogue is more of an argument against meaningful differences because that would mean that the player has more of a say about what kind of person the Avatar is.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm frankly more interested in how characters personalities can play off each other during dialogues and support. I know we're just speculating of characters we do know but I feel like incorporating the ones we've only in with their battle model or sprites. I've always been a fan of the Cain and Abel archetypes who always end up being my favorite duo to pair up for battle and supports. Nohr seems to have the standard cavalier duo with blue hair and Hoshido has a ninja pair with Saizou and green haired dude.

Now this is what caught my eye if the trailer I saw is correct and the cavalier pair is actually a duo, the male cavalier joins you but I don't see the female cavalier joining with you or in the same map as your ally when you're with Hoshido. So can this apply to our green haired pal and Saizou? Will one of the duo defect to your side, male cavalier for Hoshido and possibly green ninja for Nohr? Or is this wild mass guessing of the highest order?

In any case, if this does happen, I'll make sure that Cain and Abel do battle if only for all the drama of it all if I can't recruit them.

I really hope there more to Aqua than just a typical goody-goody heroine personality, that all I need honestly.

Also I vastly prefer brain over brute force, hope Kamui is a smart protagonist.

I know I will probably be disappointed but for now I will treat them as such.

Edited by Awakener_

I'm frankly more interested in how characters personalities can play off each other during dialogues and support. I know we're just speculating of characters we do know but I feel like incorporating the ones we've only in with their battle model or sprites. I've always been a fan of the Cain and Abel archetypes who always end up being my favorite duo to pair up for battle and supports. Nohr seems to have the standard cavalier duo with blue hair and Hoshido has a ninja pair with Saizou and green haired dude.

Now this is what caught my eye if the trailer I saw is correct and the cavalier pair is actually a duo, the male cavalier joins you but I don't see the female cavalier joining with you or in the same map as your ally when you're with Hoshido. So can this apply to our green haired pal and Saizou? Will one of the duo defect to your side, male cavalier for Hoshido and possibly green ninja for Nohr? Or is this wild mass guessing of the highest order?

In any case, if this does happen, I'll make sure that Cain and Abel do battle if only for all the drama of it all if I can't recruit them.

So similar to how the maids appear to work, with one joining you if you defect to Hoshido and one with you if you stay Nohr. They would likely having special battle dialogue if they fight which might be interesting and show some personal grudges rather than just two countries fighting. But what happens if you stay with Nohr, do you keep both cavaliers and if you stay with Hoshido do you get both ninjas or do they always change sides?