Shuuda's Art Shack

Shuuda

[spoiler=Joan Miro]TskUhWx.jpg

Another image from my Man Ray books. Aside from the botched hand job, I think it turned out okay.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another portrait from my Man Ray books.

[spoiler=S.M. Eisenstein]GPOexbf.jpg

And here's a bonus image I did some time ago as a quick brush test.

[spoiler=Ampharos... again]76Z1fqq.jpg

Another bust, this time of the Surrealist, Andre Breton.

[spoiler=Andre Breton]5vCqpEZ.jpg

Again, this image was copied from a photograph taken by Man Ray.

Edited by Shuuda

This image was taken from a photo of Marcel Duchamp. Sadly, the reference image was very dark, so I had a hard time making out the lower half.

[spoiler=Marcel Duchamp]c5LOzWU.jpg

I've been busy over the past few days, but I managed to take some time out to try something new.

[spoiler=Garchomp]HTEAfA6.jpg

For this one, I tried going back to a smooth looking line. Unlike the images from my first post where I used smooth lines, I drew this one by hand, rather thank using the Sai lineart tool.

Why are your lines so beautiful! I am burning with more jealousy than I am burning with gayness for Lettuce not anymore!

When you draw referencing photos, do you visualize the shapes in 3D as you do so? It doesn't really help right then and there but I think it's a good exercise for later when you do weird complex shapes on your own.

Why are your lines so beautiful! I am burning with more jealousy than I am burning with gayness for Lettuce not anymore!

When you draw referencing photos, do you visualize the shapes in 3D as you do so? It doesn't really help right then and there but I think it's a good exercise for later when you do weird complex shapes on your own.

I usually spend some time breaking the reference into a bunch of shapes before working on my project. If the reference is digital, I'll bring it into the program and draw over it to get a feel for the different parts.

For tonight, I ended up getting frustrated trying to draw what I was hoping to draw. There was just no inspiration at all. So in the end, I just rushed out this quick sketch to get something out. It's my Dunmer thief, since I got back into Morrowind recently.

[spoiler=Lleris]e8ZHKzO.jpg

It's been a long time since I attempted a full body from imagination.

Edited by Shuuda

Sketchy as it was, it looks rather good! I rather like how you rendered the face and hair. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but I've some advice based on trying that pose in front of a mirror:

- That leg positioning is rather uncomfortable to hold.

- His right foot (from our view) should look more like it's seen in profile.

- His left foot (from our view) should point slightly more towards the viewer.

- The lines of his pants (specifically on the sides that aren't touching either side of the thighs and calves) should be less static. Meaning they should have a slight wave here and there, as you can see on Ike's pants in this artwork.

-- Adding onto the above, those little waves exist because it in on those waves where the pants don't tightly connect to Ike's legs.

-- Also, where the pants tightly DO connect to the legs is where the lines are straighter, depending on just how tightly the pants cling. The more cling, thestriaghter they get until the curvature is only there to show the contour of the leg parts.

- The foreshortening on his left bicep(?) is good in the visible length, but the shape could have been better to reflect it looking more like it's getting farther from the viewer. Looking at my own arm, the place where it connects to the torso is widest, whereas it tapers a bit as it goes to the elbow. Maybe I have a freak arm, but I hope that gets across the idea of how to change the shape.

I don't know what to say about the other aspects, but I hope this advice helps. :)

Thanks. I'll keep those things in mind.

I decided to repreat the style of the previous Flygon piece with this next one.

[spoiler=Ampharos]8wN3sxA.jpg

iSgSGsh.jpg

I might try adding some colour later at some point.

I really like the way the coloring on your newest Ampharos pops in comparison to the other Ampharos you drew! Even though the coloring does look shiny sometimes, I feel like it has some serious oomph! Keep it up Shuuda~!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've actually posted anything in this topic. That's mostly because the stuff I've been doing is just practicing and doodling. I figured I might as well show something for my work.

Slf3jgQ.jpg

Edited by Shuuda

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found the time and effort to scan in some of my sketch book pictures, which I've been doing some more of recently. I've been working on trying to improve my pencil shading.

[spoiler=Mawile]

vkfvIbh.jpg

[spoiler=Dragonite]

irldJS6.jpg

[spoiler=Work In Progress]

Xk92ph2.jpg

I've finished my Scizor sketch. This time however, I did some post editing to up the contrast of the image, hopefully making things a bit more distinct.

[spoiler=Scizor]

QctSB9q.jpg

Here's a link to the unedited sketch.

I'm curious as to which version you think is better.

Personally, I'm not so sure about this one. I don't think I did a particularly good job of capturing the metalic look with the shading.

Edited by Shuuda

• 3 weeks later...

I've been rather busy lately, so I've not had to much time to post. That said, I've got two new drawings to show.

[spoiler=Espeon]KDHwA6Y.jpg

This one's relatively simple, and I think the legs are a bit too rushed.

Reference

[spoiler=Flareon]ifkjYHq.jpg

Personally, I think this one turned out really nicely. I just like the pose, and I think the fur came out better than I thought it would.

Reference

Edited by Shuuda

I'm not really any art critic or anything, but I really liked how the Flareon's tail came out. I also really liked the Espeon one, though that might have to do with personal bias, but it was still done rather well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got no plans to colour any of those picture. I'm quite happy just to leave them as pencil sketches. I do have something new to show however. I got my hands on some charcoal pencils. I decided to go back to my Man Ray books for something to draw.

[spoiler=Tristan Tzara]

y8vM4pF.jpg

I've done another portrait with my charcoal pencil, once again dipping into the Man Ray books. For the most part I think this one turned out better, but I think there might have been an issue during scanning.

[spoiler=Antonin Artaud]w9wUm7j.jpg

It looks a lot better than your previous attempt! The masses of the body (such as the nose and forehead) are noticeable, whereas before they looked rather flat.

The biggest issue I see is the eyes not having enough shadow around them; a little more would make it more accurate, since the underlying skull has the eye sockets within their own little caverns. Plus, you forgot to shade in the lower lip. The ear should also be slightly bigger.

I hope this feedback helps! Overall, I'd say this is a decent result!