Shuuda's Art Shack

Shuuda

I really like the Limstella you did, the pose has a really nice flow to it.

9 minutes ago, Shuuda said:

So I decided to try out a different method of character drawing than what I'm used to. Here's a doodle of my results so far. Not really sure who this is or whatever, but it looks vaguely FEish.

KHgrVQPh.png

For some context. here's what I started out with.

I think she looks kinda like Ayra with those shoulder pauldrons/hair

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to try the method on something a bit more ambitious. I've never actually played Fates, but this design appealed to me a little bit, so I had a crack at it.

jUL7Rthh.png

Edited by Shuuda

Cool that you're doing value painting! It's a really great way to learn how lighting works and to create good compositions.

One thing to keep in mind with value painting is that every color has its own value. Most skin colors for example contain a lot of yellow and orange and is generally very light. Right now your skin values are way too dark. Maybe this images will help: http://www.sycra.net/colourvalueboard.jpg, it displays the colors and their respective values. One thing you could also do is turn the original artwork in a black and white image, so you can see what values they used.

Keep practicing this and it'll help you in the long run!

Thanks for that chart. It's definitely something I'll need to keep in mind for the future.

I've been a bit busy to devote my time to any particular project this week. Here's a hodgepodge of various rough sketches.

Spoiler

OwlWVpxh.jpg

Bn9WSHVh.jpg

GGmlnPzh.jpg

Some Julia sketches. I might go back and do something more with one of these. I just like the design.

n7xg5qOh.jpg

E68q5rIh.jpg

DsyQuEKh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my latest project. I tried going back to the same sort of style as my earlier Sophia piece, though this one is a bit more ambitious.

c0mhMst.png

Here's a work in progress for my contribution to the Fire Emblem Compendium project. I feel pretty lucky that I managed to snag the character I was hoping for. Marisa's always been an old favourite of mine. I'm not sure how much more work I want to put into it though.

UPLIDFB.png

A bit late I suppose but here's the finished picture for the Compendium. You can find it here on the website.

CtGs8wZ.png

In other news, I also figured out how this confounded Tumblr thing works I think. You can find that here.

I hope I can fill that up with more new stuff in time.

6 hours ago, Natalie said:

Wow, your colours and shading are so nice on both the Ninian and Marisa ones! And your hand drawing so good, I'm jealous. 

Thank you. The hands are mostly copied from references, which certainly makes drawing them much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Been in a giant rut for the longest time. All I can offer to keep this thread alive are these doodles.

Spoiler

78cEQYk.jpg

This was going to be a robe sort of deal when I started, but then space armour.

VS6w16O.jpg

I actually kind of like how the face turned out, but I had no idea what was going on with the clothes.

eietz4W.jpg

Something I wrestled out of a scribble.

• 4 weeks later...

In terms of art I've been wandering the desert and have reached the point of drinking my own urine. Metaphorically I assure you. So I went to my usual fallback when I've got no ideas and did a photo study. In the past this has resulted in pictures that aren't to the liking of the sites advertisers. This time I've come prepared.

Here's a reproduction of a photograph of Juliet Man Ray, orginally taken 1946.

c9JAutH.jpg

The unaltered version can be found on my Tumblr, the link to which can be found in my sig.

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much.

So here's a potential peek of my next project. I spent some time doing thumbnails of Limstella, and these two were the things that stuck the most.

mAj1CJd.jpg

Edited by Shuuda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some doodles of a kindly old man.

42Bf78z.jpg

And here some testing I did with the Clip Studio watercolour brushes. I think it might have ended up muddier than I might have liked.

lBHMiod.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On October 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Shuuda said:

Wasted forever on this piece, but the sodding thing won't work.

sSRwFrd.jpg

I think in this instance the relative lack of a nose, while just fine on your Sophia and hardly noticeable on Ninian, really stands out. Alternatively, it could be the slant of her eyes, as I believe the lower lines on her eyes look somewhat oddly slanted up towards where her nose would be - perhaps try making the eyes a little more open, or, failing that, try giving her a nose? I'm more of a writer myself, but I have a friend who did drawing for quite a length of time and know a little bit from watching her, so maybe that will help.

EDIT: Something else I noticed is that her face seems tilted at a slightly more sideways angle than her head - if you place eyelines across her face, it kind of looks like her left eye…no wait, I mean…the one on our left, so her right eye? Anyways, one of her eyes doesn't seem set quite high enough, and the other seems a tiny bit too high. Also, the way her head is set looks like she's supposed to be looking more to the side than you have her face and hair angled - she looks like she should be looking off into the distance, yet her face is aimed right at the viewer.

EDIT AGAIN: One last thing is her legs - I thought she was facing to my right, but her legs are placed so she's walking towards me and her feet are angled…to my left? Maybe at least change the back foot to be less left-pointing.

Don't want to seem rude bringing up old stuff, it's just such a beautiful piece it'd be a shame to see it go to waste.

Edited by SoulWeaver

Don't worry about being rude. Any commentary is appreciated.

Since the new year I've been working more on photo studies, working from my Man Ray books, which is what I resort to when I've go no other ideas. I've also been trying to improve my speed, so I've tried to keep these images to a few hours each.

Spoiler

JcILZ5X.jpg

mFJ0veW.jpg

ILkv0zO.jpg

Y3jJ6Xc.jpg

eDamUr7.jpg

TgJTm4N.jpg

• 2 weeks later...