Melodic Does The Draw UPDATED 1/18/2017

Melodi

Why are you so fucking talented I never know what to say because i feel like my words won't compare to your quality of work

Every day I go outside, squinting against the morning sun, when the massive dragon made out of paper descends from the sky to capture me so we may do battle with each other so it may bestow my artistic abilities upon me for the day. I am carried to a mountaintop high above sea level where a massive pencil awaits me, for it is my weapon. A fierce battle ensues, but each morning I emerge victorious and my artistic abilities are once again renewed. That is how I became talented.

Okay in all honesty, thank you so much for your kind words omg I have to say that art is really hard sometimes but it is totally worth all the practice i have put in to become as skilled as I am today. SO yeah thank you so much ouo

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me jealousy is strong

your talent and skill are stronger

didn't even notice this thread and i am not regretting clicking into it

I'm screaming so hard right now i'm getting so many really sweet comments on my thread and it makes me really happy!!! ouo

I apologize for hardly ever replying to this topic; I didn't realize you were open for feedback, Melodic ^^; I'll check in more often to see what I have to offer.

So, for the stuff in this post...

The anime club promo pic looks pretty good to me, overall! I like how you managed to structure her facial features realistically while still keeping her clearly feminine; some other artists (me included) end up making anime women look more like men when we try to structure their faces realistically.

Especially impressed at the accuracy of that ear, too. : >

As far as technical issues go...

- The shoulders should be a bit slopier, so they look more feminine.

- Related to the above point, the muscles between the neck and shoulder should be more visible.

- The part of the top that goes from the neck to the top of the breasts (dunno the right term) seems unevenly placed relative to the neck; the part on the viewer's right seems directly touching the neck, whereas the one on the viewer's left seems more distant from the neck.

This post has gotten a bit long, so I'll end it here for now. If you want more feedback, feel free to message me and/or check out this dA group all about helping people like us improve. I got a good about of quality feedback from there, so I'd say it's worth a look! :)

I've really wanted to become a good artist for a while now. It wasn't until about a week ago I realized that I have to really want it in order to achieve. Seeing these pictures encourages me to carry that wish out. I don't know why, but seeing this shows me it's not out of reach. Keep up the beautiful work. Melly you are so great, and I love talking to you. Best wishes.

So...

Where do I start?

I apologize for hardly ever replying to this topic; I didn't realize you were open for feedback, Melodic ^^; I'll check in more often to see what I have to offer.

So, for the stuff in this post...

The anime club promo pic looks pretty good to me, overall! I like how you managed to structure her facial features realistically while still keeping her clearly feminine; some other artists (me included) end up making anime women look more like men when we try to structure their faces realistically.

Especially impressed at the accuracy of that ear, too. : >

As far as technical issues go...

- The shoulders should be a bit slopier, so they look more feminine.

- Related to the above point, the muscles between the neck and shoulder should be more visible.

- The part of the top that goes from the neck to the top of the breasts (dunno the right term) seems unevenly placed relative to the neck; the part on the viewer's right seems directly touching the neck, whereas the one on the viewer's left seems more distant from the neck.

This post has gotten a bit long, so I'll end it here for now. If you want more feedback, feel free to message me and/or check out this dA group all about helping people like us improve. I got a good about of quality feedback from there, so I'd say it's worth a look! :)

Thank you so much for your words of critique! I'll definitely take it all into consideration as I continue on ouo

I've really wanted to become a good artist for a while now. It wasn't until about a week ago I realized that I have to really want it in order to achieve. Seeing these pictures encourages me to carry that wish out. I don't know why, but seeing this shows me it's not out of reach. Keep up the beautiful work. Melly you are so great, and I love talking to you. Best wishes.

So...

Where do I start?

I swear to god Mysti, you made me tear up with this ;u;

Where do you start with art? Well, you really do begin with a paper and pencil and envision that which you desire in your mind before attempting to put it onto paper. At first it's not going to look anything like what you imagine it to look like, but as you begin to practice more and more it will become closer and closer to what you desire. I hope that helps?

Also hey!!! I have the final product of my fabric drawing, so here you guys are:

[spoiler=HELL YEAH] Here it is guys~!

NDPC952.jpg

Also, thank you all for the really great comments that you guys have been leaving me lately! Your words make me really want to update my thread more often! ouo

Edited by MelodicStarshowers

It's October! And that means HALLOWEEN HOLY SHIT

[spoiler=I drew stuff today guys. stuff that isn't lame]I was really feeling one of those moods where I draw Marx and Ryouma if they were in high school and it never fails to be enjoyable.
EBIQz1A.jpg

Dumb headcanons involving Marx needing glasses and Ryouma getting shit for having SUPER LONG HAIR and as a result needing to tie it back which i feel like he'd really dislike for whatever reason.
I literally haven't drawn Ryouma in forever so like idk what i was doing tbh

And then I started drawing Kesta and Harien, aka my precious Kamuis
dr70qNA.jpg
lRS3Oni.jpg

Remember when I said it was October and that meant Halloween? I remembered that I was going to do this Drawlloween thingy so here's today's entry:
zGrcNre.jpg

If anyone cares to see them, I also have a fuckload of my concept sketches for my next art project, so holler if you want me to post 'em?

So I've been doing some marker stuff today with these neat-o markers.

[spoiler=MARKERS OH SHIT]I'm still working on blending without murdering the printer paper I've been drawing on.
2kTnVBD.jpg

m1gJsJx.jpg

zVgX1k1.jpg

Harien's skin is too heavily blended, I hurt the paper with it.

Kesta's eyes in the top doodle looked bad so i just sort of crossed them out

My Kamui posting may never stop lol

I also wanted to put art stuff in it's own spoiler so
[spoiler=ART STUFF LOL]This next art project is called 'Rhythm in Motion' sooooo here we have me, twirling a wooden pole as though I were still in marching band

VsWMCzf.jpg?1
And, for good measure I went to the trouble of making a gif of the full move five times through so you can get a better feel for what's happening in this picture
[spoiler=WARNING SMALL ARTIST WITH WOODEN POLE]

WToJLmu.gif

Aaaand that's it for the update! Tell me what you all think!

It all looks real nice, imo! I'm impressed you can get that quality from a variety of mediums; I'm kinda jealous. Impressed most by the pole fighter frames you drew; did you record someone doing that, using it as reference for drawing?

I don't have any feedback to give, sadly. ^^;

It all looks real nice, imo! I'm impressed you can get that quality from a variety of mediums; I'm kinda jealous. Impressed most by the pole fighter frames you drew; did you record someone doing that, using it as reference for drawing?

I don't have any feedback to give, sadly. ^^;

I did in fact use a video! There's a gif of me twirling a broom handle in the post actually, but I'll post it again for you!

WToJLmu.gif

So with the video, I used the nifty frame by frame playback that IOS has for videos to get my poses after I'd made a few basic sketches of the poses I wanted!

Oh, I noticed the gif in the post you introduced it in, hence my question :) Also, thanks for explaining your method!

OOOOOOOhhh I must've not fully understood your response when I replied! And No problemo~!

I've been pretty busy making art these last couple of days and doing other stuff too so here's an update filled primarily with the progression of my art project from start to about 65% completion.

[spoiler=I doubt I have to tell you guys that the pictures are MASSIVE] Here we go!

JsWAjuz.jpgg89nPak.jpgHNlMXQe.jpgQsmND7h.jpg
CLhBAhX.jpgrGY6Xn6.jpg09TAkg1.jpg
LYLHFNH.jpgxMy2d4x.jpgo7rvXWy.jpg
holy shit

Wowza, that was a lot of images.

Tell me what you think!

Looks pretty cool! Was it an exercise in shading the various frames of the animation? Rather looks like it, to me : o

The project is to emulate the capture of motion of an object in a single frame. Essentially, I take a moving object, break that movement up into its most prominent poses and juxtapose all of those frames together, leaving obvious gaps where the viewer's mind is able to string the motion together!

Today's Update:

[spoiler=Starting to fall into that lifestyle rut lol. I need to go on walks more often or something]Obviously I've got an art project update to share. I actually DID take like 4 or 5 pictures during class today, but feel like it's only necessary to show off the most recent one. Maybe when I'm completely done with the project, I'll compile a whole Imgur album of the project from start to finish?

aZ6OGiP.jpg

Not totally sure how I feel about the photo quality, but whatever. I finished blocking in the background today and started touch-ups on the figures. It'll be fun for sure trying to get all the hands to look nice.

Aaaand now for non-school related stuff. Except when I say stuff, I mean 'one picture because aside from stuff for another person, I haven't drawn much of anything.':

NO3yhw0.jpg

If the snapchat caption was any indication, I want to make a sticker out of this!

Hope you enjoyed!

Not much to show off, considering I haven't drawn a ton of stuff as of late lol

[spoiler=I finished it!]EjuMdjH.jpg

I finally finished my Rhythm In Motion piece! I present to you all the final product with all my excitement and wonder!

EDIT:
I also remembered that i doodled some stuff earlier today and I wanna show off
[spoiler=doodles]TYkthl1.jpg

Actual events that happened this weekendCPWXf3L.jpgO5yY13p.jpg

MUSCLESrv1fqO1.jpg?1

I started reading Noblesse recently and BOY OH BOY is everyone hot.

Good job on the Rhythm in Motion piece! I like how you used paint for it.

Among the doodles, I like the muscle practice the most. You should clean up the lineart, color it, and make it an actual piece : >

Fun Fact: I actually used chalk pastels, something infinitely messier (but way less frustrating) than paint!

As for the drawing of Ms. Muscles, I am definitely planning on coloring her in digitally!

omg that spoopy ghost drawing

good job in that Rhythm in motion drawing jenny! looks really nice.

like the shading and effect used for the motion for the stick

10/10

Aaaaaaaaaa thanks Tristian! I added in the motion of the staff/stick/pretend flag/actual broom handle to help the viewer string together each pose more easily and also because aesthetic. ouo

AAAAND NOW! It's time for a really oddly timed update!

[spoiler=Art, duh]All that's really left for me to do with this one is do touch ups and fix shading stuff. ZBbsuFg.jpg

If you look at the salt shaker, you will see the small reflection of me, with my blue cellphone, taking the reference image for this piece

NjYwd0y.jpg

My favorite thing ever is drawing Stephon performing mundane tasks while his friends cling to him.

I will post more art later... But right now it's 2:38 AM and I'm doing the Biology homework I should have finished on Saturday.

EDIT: Hell yeah I have stuff to post

[spoiler=Guess what game I started playing]SpNYhgI.jpg

[spoiler=i am so close to finishing this]YCzufx4.jpg

A while back, I said I'd draw Tsuribari's friend, so here we have the start of what will become a drawing of Stella!
[spoiler=She's a sad starfish iirc]qlW0c3u.png

SO I ALSO HAD A STREAM AND DID SO MUCH WORK
[spoiler=Spoileriffic]Y4MdkSF.png

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to rate the lateness of this update on a scale of one to ten it would be a twelve.

However, I do have a lot to show from the last twelve days!
[spoiler=SHOES DAMN IT]
CSm8ai0VAAANGrh.jpgCSm8ai1UsAAg28o.jpg
2ZTPYwS.jpg
And then the progress pics start
4AZX9on.jpgUGtZkYT.jpgcvAPCnM.jpgM87v87S.jpgq2q79Sp.jpgoUqRj2l.jpg

I think I started that project last wednesday
BZref3W.jpg
ssqiIPM.jpgUXA5ruh.jpgThis one reminds me a lot of the song that plays when Coraline is exploring the house

That was a lot of stuff to share, but I hope you guys enjoy all of it! Comments and criticism are always appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lot of stuff :o I admire how keen you are on practice.

...looking at that picture of Stella, I was surprised to see you like Mogeko games. I beat WATGBS the other day xD

Ahh thanks, Tessie! Personally, I feel as though the only way I could ever have improved as much as i have over the years was through my near daily practice. Congrats on beating WatGBS! That's my favorite of all the Mogeko games.

Talk about late updates! I've got so much to post now but haven't really felt like doing so.

So, I'll bust this sucker up into two spoilers: One for school projects, and one for all of my 'for funsies' stuff.

[spoiler=So Many Art Projects For School]First up is the finished product of those shoes I was painting in watercolor!
Lz6MxyE.jpgI highly recommend that you zoom in on this one to see the details with the Micron pens

Next up, we have the stuff involving my linoleum printmaking plate! I'm not done cutting the damn thing out just yet, so I'll just post the before cutting picture and the most recent progress I've got.
OPuS9Ot.jpgIXXfsKD.jpg?1So, all the areas that were either colored black with sharpie in the first picture or are the girl's skin will appear white in the actual print, as they will have been cut out. Right now I'm mostly just trying to cut out everything that isn't skin or octopus suckers/spotted eagle ray spots/the spots on those two jellyfish closest to the octopus. If anyone wants to know more about linoleum printmaking, I'd be happy to explain the process further!

Lastly, we have the project that is overlapping some with our printmaking project! The theme of this one is 'String' and I'm personally going for a 'caught up in all of the threads of everything and can't get out' sort of feeling with the piece.
Here's the thumbnail:
t5lHAWm.jpg

And here's what I've got of the lines on the actual piece so far:
UC643ox.jpg
You have no idea how happy I am with that hand right there oh my goodness.

That's it for the school stuff! Now for the funsies portion of the post!
[spoiler=When Was The Last Time I Drew Anything Fire Emblem Related]I'm probably just going to put in images and not explain them.
A4u96Ou.jpgT7SV11n.jpgThe lighting washed out the colors so much on this one bleh
qum3ihg.jpgDjCpjI7.jpg
Xz51IHw.jpg
gBRyF1O.png
I tried to color it on my phone in the car yesterday. Not easy.
YkKsF3S.png
trying to paint on Sketchbook Mobile is suffering
Xdj60RJ.jpg
More Sailor Shark
sL0Joqo.jpg

That's all folks! Feel free to make comments, provide critique, all that jazz!
Hope you enjoyed~