Is there any RPG resemble to fire emblem?

khanhvu

I have played all the previous titles of Fire Emblem for a few months now. Although it's still pretty much enjoyable, I decided that it's 'time to tip the scales' to another game while waiting for FE:If releasing in this summer.

Do you have any suggestion? I really like the tactic element, graphics, and character design of Fire Emblem and would like to look for some games similar to FE7, RD or FE:A.

Thank you!

Radiant Historia has grid-based combat, however it is more typical JRPG based. It has some pretty nice tactics of pushing enemies into other enemies using certain attacks and damaging all enemies on top of the other enemies on the grid in that one square at once

There are quite a few SRPG's out there, though none of them really fulfill me the way Fire Emblem does.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a great game, though it can be difficult to wrap your head around all of the mechanics, especially if you approach it expecting to be like FE.

i think the legend of korra 3ds game is an FE clone, and there's pokemon conquest

Thank you, I am reading its reviews now ;):

Does Tear Ring saga count?

Oh yeah, Yggdra Union.

Sadly dear, been there done that, I did play the Tear Ring. However Yggdra Union seems pretty cool :D: (and a little moe too)

Radiant Historia has grid-based combat, however it is more typical JRPG based. It has some pretty nice tactics of pushing enemies into other enemies using certain attacks and damaging all enemies on top of the other enemies on the grid in that one square at once

Haha, I'm pretty fond of JRPG. You have my gratitude :D:

Battle for Wesnoth

It's entirely free software so there is little reason not to check it out: http://www.wesnoth.org

Besides, the hex is the superior tile.

Thank you ;):, but it seems more age of empires to me than Fire Emblem.

Thank you ;):, but it seems more age of empires to me than Fire Emblem.

I can't see many similarities in that regard. Wesnoth doesn't have any base building and it's not real time like AoE. And while AoE plays in the real world and is based on real events, Wesnoth is an entirely made-up fantasy world with wizards and dragons just like Fire Emblem (although it's more typical Tolkien then Fire Emblem. FE never had Elves, Dwarves and Orcs.). It's admittedly somewhat more like Advance Wars in the way you earn gold and produce units but you get to keep surviving veteran units and gold between chapters.

Edited by BrightBow

There's the Shining Force series I recoomend the 2nd one for the SEGA genesis

If your ok with emulation I recommend Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES

If you play Yggdra Union, bear with it for the first 11 maps or so. It took me three successive attempts over the course of 5 years to finally manage to get to the point where the game started to become legitimately interesting on a mechanical level. This is because they dripfeed you important mechanics at the start, and the game is so minimalist in approach (well, minimalist may not be the correct term but, it tries to remove everything it deems uneccessary), that without all the pieces it actually left, it can feel really dry.

Basically, once you get to maps that are reasonably sized, you can use card skills, and item equips and character deployment choice starts becoming relevant, the game really gets into it's stride.

There are quite a few SRPG's out there, though none of them really fulfill me the way Fire Emblem does.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a great game, though it can be difficult to wrap your head around all of the mechanics, especially if you approach it expecting to be like FE.

True. Comparing to other SRPG, Fire Emblem does have lots of features that make it superior to others.

Try playing Code Name STEAM, it's not a FE clone, but it is another great strategy game from IS.

Still waiting for an amiibo adapter to get Lucina on my old 3ds. :tangerinesadness:

I can't see many similarities in that regard. Wesnoth doesn't have any base building and it's not real time like AoE. And while AoE plays in the real world and is based on real events, Wesnoth is an entirely made-up fantasy world with wizards and dragons just like Fire Emblem (although it's more typical Tolkien then Fire Emblem. FE never had Elves, Dwarves and Orcs.). It's admittedly somewhat more like Advance Wars in the way you earn gold and produce units but you get to keep leveled up units and gold between chapters.

Ahh, I see. Judged by its look and the word 'factions' made me immediately think of AoE :sweatdrop:

I'm way beyond ok with emulators dear. Thank you :XD:

try the Langrisser series, along with certain installments of Tactics Ogre.

if there are any games or series that are identical clones; that's just it, they play like a clone and don't really capture what you're looking for (whether that's the love of the series or love of the genre)

If you like the whole "awesome GBA sprites" thing, try Super Robot Wars.

lFIH121.gif

There are three of them in English (Original Generation 1 and 2 got official releases, J got a fan translation).

Actually, there are some others in English. Check out Aeon Genesis Translations for translations!

http://agtp.romhack.net/projects.php

There's work being done on a few more there as well. And the Romhacking Aerie is still working on SRW F AFAIK.

XCOM has very little in common with Fire Emblem flavour-wise (sci-fi soldiers fighting aliens), but is at its core shockingly similar: SRPGs with small numbers where each turn needs to be weighed carefully and permanent unit death is a real concern.

Beyond that, obviously most SRPGs have a fair deal in common with FE, and if you haven't played many I certainly recommend giving the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms XF, and the N1 games (Disgaea, etc., although the only one I personally care for is Soul Nomad) a try.

Confirming that Shining Force and Langrisser are both excellent recommendations. (I would go with Shining Force 2 and Der Langrisser or Langrisser IV)

I'd 3rd Shining Force II. One of the first games I played on my Genesis ( emulator ). And FE is not a JRPG. TBS yes, but not an RPG. Everytime I bash my head when this gets mentioned ( probably because JRPGs are my favourite genre ). Yes, it has some RPG mechanics, but it is not a true JRPG.

Well, Fire Emblem really isn't an RPG..

There's this game called "Blackguards" (plus it's sequel), it's also a Strategy RPG that is set in the medievals aswell,
though it certainly has a much much darker athmosphere than Fire Emblem.

I can only recommend it, here's part one of a series by the developers teaching you the basics in Blackguards 2:

Edited by FierceRagnar

You might want to check out IS' Nintendo Wars. Only the Advance wars line has been released in english, but there's patches for the rest of them. I'd also recommend Code name S.T.E.A.M. if you don't mind 3rd person shooter elements.

I'd also highly recommend Front Mission. It's made by the good guys over at Square and really fun. If you like that you should also try Super Robot Wars. Only the Original Generation games for the GBA have gotten english releases, but there's plenty of fan translations out there. Just watch out, the one for the DS isn't an SRPG.

Phantom Brave is a personal favourite of mine. It's made by Nippon Ichi, who also make Disgaea (which I'd also recommend), so it's very reminiscent of that, but is different enough to stand on it's own. All of NI SRPGs are great, but Phantom Brave is just my favourite.

Vandal Hearts is also extremely fun, and probably the most similar game to FE I've mentioned. Like really, the two series are almost indistinguishable.

FF Tactics is really, really deep, and quite a bit different from FE. Needless to say, if you're aware it's different it shouldn't be too hard to start playing. The tactics advance games are good in their own right, but they don't even compare to the PS1 game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is another great one. It plays pretty much how you'd imagine SMT would on a grid, but that doesn't mean if you haven't played those games it's going to be confusing. Just be wary of huge difficulty spikes, even from an FE perspective they're huge.

Honestly, has no one here played Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for the 3DS. It's basically FE with guns.

It litterally starts with a early game bandit chapter

While death isn't permenant like FE, thats because you Game Over when a character dies, so you have to restart.

What, you don't reset when a character dies in FE, you monster

Project X Zone is a grid-based RPG for the 3DS. It also kinda has pair up.

Pretty much all that's like FE, but it is a good game, and being a FE fan, I enjoyed it.

Well, the demos.

Seconding Shining force, considering its pretty much Sega's take on the formula. Also Bahamut Lagoon is something I need to try too.

Super Robot Wars is.. sorta similar with giant mechs and pretty different mechanics.

Same goes for the Devil Survivor games.

I'd recommend Majin Tensei were there complete English patches, because its pretty much traditional SMT that plays exactly like FE with SMT mechanics.

Edited by Jedi