2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARGH, Robert Golden should've had that pick. But it forced the Broncos to punt for the sixth time in a row, so it's not all bad. I didn't expect this out of our defense, suddenly they've shut everybody down. :o

EDIT: RYAN SHAZIER INTERCEPTION! Two plays later, TD AB!! WE GOT THE LEAD! HELL YEAH! And 34 points on the no. 1 defense. :D

Edited by Anacybele

WE WOOOON!! WE WOOOON!! 34 FRICKEN POINTS AND THE NO. 1 OFFENSE BEAT THE NO. 1 DEFENSE! :D I think Ben and co. really did just need to adjust. Ben is the first QB to throw for 300 yards vs the Broncos in 17 games and AB got 16 catches for 189 yards! Wheaton got a TD and Bryant got some nice yards too! And that o-line did great! I LOVE THIS OFFENSE! *happy scream* :D

And that secondary was actually amazing in the second half! They shut everybody down like pros! If only they could play like this every game, we'd for sure make a Super Bowl run! Now all we have left are the beaten up Ravens and the lowly Browns! We should crush them both and get in the playoffs! Doesn't mean everyone needs to relax though, of course. You have to prepare for any game no matter who your opponent.

Edited by Anacybele

You also clinched your division. :P

But that's pretty crazy right there. I now wonder how your team could only get like 10 points vs a Big Ben-less Steelers team. And I also wonder how Antonio Brown could torch the no. 1 defense in the league, but get nearly completely shut down by Richard Sherman (even if the guy should've gotten a couple PIs). Just odd stuff there...

Comon somehow comeback and beat the Pack.

I don't want my dumb Packers freind to give me shit like "lolol you thought the raiders were a decent team this season lolol same old crappy raiders".

Which Packer friends do you have? Every Packer fan I knew (myself included) saw this as a trap game, and the Raiders are a good team, they DID beat the Broncos last week after all.

That being said, next week's a big one, to say the least. A win vs. AZ would put us in good position to leapfrog them to a 2nd seed come Week 17, and a Win + MIN Loss next week would have us clinch the NFC North a week early. Of course, Arizona is 12-2 for a reason, and it won't come easy. I'm thinking Arizona will win, but I'm hoping it'll be close.

Edited by Bullwine85

Which Packer friends do you have? Every Packer fan I knew (myself included) saw this as a trap game, and the Raiders are a good team, they DID beat the Broncos last week after all.

It's freindly trash talk for the most part. They don't play often so this is our one chance in 4 years to talk shit.

Slightly unrelated: Please finish 8-8. We're not 6-10 bad lol

Update!

AFC East

Patriots have clinched a first round bye.

Bills and Dolphins are eliminated from the playoffs.

AFC North

Bengals have clinched a playoff spot.

Ravens/Browns are eliminated from the playoffs.

AFC South

Titans are eliminated from the playoffs.

AFC West

Raiders and Chargers are eliminated from the playoffs.

NFC East

Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs.

NFC North

Packers have clinched a playoff berth

Bears and Lions are eliminated from the playoffs.

NFC South

Panthers have clinched the 1-seed.

Buccaneers and Saints are eliminated from the playoffs.

NFC West

Cardinals have clinched the NFC West.

Seahawks have clinched a playoff berth.

Rams and 49ers are eliminated from the playoffs.

AFC teams:

Patriots/Bengals have clinched

AFC South winner lol

Jets/Broncos/Chiefs/Steelers are fighting for a playoff spot.

Pretty much the Jets/Broncos/Chiefs/Steelers/Bengals are vying for four spots. Really, it's the Jets/Ciefs/Broncos/Steelers vying for 3 spots. Pretty much one of these four teams is gonna be left out.

NFC teams:

1. Panthers

Cardinals/Packers/Seahawks have clinched a spot

NFC East winner lol

Vikings/Falcons (lol) are fighting for those last two spots, though it may be unlikely that the Vikings are eliminated/. I think NFC East people have to win out and win some weird tiebreakers over the Vikings to do it, but it's gonna be a downhill battle for the Vikings to miss the playoffs.

Congrats, Buffalo. Year 16 since the Tragedy in Tennessee is in the books.

Football is supposed to be an escape. Can't you accidentally be good for a year or does that simply mean "no playoffs with a 9-7 record"?

So, I wasn't exactly sure of this before because guys like Julio Jones and Dez Bryant exist, but I think I am now. Antonio Brown is the best receiver! He beat Chris Harris for two TDs, who hadn't allowed ANY TDs since 2013! AB had a monster day vs the best defense in the league, he's THE best. Not perfect (because that damn Richard Sherman), but for now, the best! I love this man. :D

i mean torrey smith roasted a hall of fame cornerback (champ bailey) for two touchdowns in a playoff game. those were the only two long touchdowns that defense gave up all year

nobody was in a rush to call him elite ever

that's bad logic, good CBs will randomly get torched by receivers due to matchup problems and what-have-you. I remember Revis and Sherman having trouble with dudes like Steve Smith but that doesn't make Steve Smith the best receiver in the league, and Belichick's defenses always had a tendency to do poorly against Kubiak/Shanahan offenses but that doesn't mean Kubiak/Shanahan were the best OCs in the league.

Did I say that was my only reason for saying Brown's the best? No. He's torched just about every other defense he's gone against too, except for when Ben was injured. And that was because he was almost never even given a chance by Vick and Landry Jones was basically a rookie. And even then, Jones still got some passes to him. The Broncos game is just the icing on the cake.

And despite Ben having been out for four games, Brown is still pretty high on the list for receptions and yards.

good CBs will randomly get torched by receivers due to matchup problems and what-have-you. I remember Revis and Sherman having trouble with dudes like Steve Smith but that doesn't make Steve Smith the best receiver in the league, and Belichick's defenses always had a tendency to do poorly against Kubiak/Shanahan offenses but that doesn't mean Kubiak/Shanahan were the best OCs in the league.

This is why I think the taller CB trend won't last long. I feel like they'll have their place in the league (like tall running backs or really short running backs)but I don't think it'll become a trend. The problem with being taller your length makes it harder to make precise cuts and your acceleration is affected the taller you get.

I don't have any statistical evidence but I can name a couple cases where Sherman gets beat by shorter shifty receivers (5'8-6'1) : Victor Cruz, OBJ, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Eddie Royal etc.

Credit to Pete Carrol's scheme in covering up this weakness but the flaw is still there.

I also think this is why Darelle Revis is also such a successful CB, he has the prototypical height for a CB not too short where he gets beaten by taller receivers, nor too tall where shifty receivers can absolutely take advantage of him being too lengthy. His technique also accounts for the large diversity in Wide Receiver styles. This is why you need more unconventional Wide Receiver types to beat Revis, like Stevie Johnson with his unique route running where he utilizes double moves even triple moves to beat you coupled by his elite quickness.

tl;dr Darrele Revis covers for almost all WR match-ups.

sorry this was a little bit irrelevant to the conversation but it was a thought.

I mean, Julio Jones has only not torched every defense he's played because people are finally figuring out that he's the first read on every play and Shanahan doesn't like to spread the ball around.

OBJ is doing extremely well by the way and he's torched a bunch of defenses just about as much as Antonio Brown has. People are bitching about how he was an asshole yesterday but he put up like 80 yards and a TD against Josh Norman who is playing balls to the wall. AJ Green has been really great this year too.

Dez is injured and his QB is Matt Cassel. Deandre Hopkins is getting thrown to by... TJ Yates and Brandon Weeden and like Brian Hoyer. Calvin Johnson had to deal with incompetence by this guy for a while:

On top of being older. I don't know why torching one elite corner vindicates your viewpoint, because Torrey Smith has a history of torching elite corners but basically disappearing for 90% of the game. Shit happens and the "zero TDs since 2013" statline is unsustainable. There's no way of really quantifying the best WR in the game and you're literally just saying that to brag and out of bias.

Wow, do you ever actually read posts? I'm not going to repeat myself, because I've already made my arguments. There's no bias either (or, at the least, there's a little BIT), otherwise I would've said AB was the best a long time ago.

Oh, also, while OBJ is playing well overall, I won't consider him an elite receiver until he has more than just two seasons on his resume. Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AB, etc. have much more experience.

Edited by Anacybele

You're delusional if you don't consider OBJ elite.

Guys, forget this nonsense. Let's talk about Gronk. I mean, no other tight end In the league even sniffs this guy's physical ability. Without him, the offense is mediocre at best. Easily the top non-QB offensive player in the NFL.

I fucking love him so much :') when I wear his jersey I can feel my body be possessed by the spirit of a human beer bong.

Wow, do you ever actually read posts? I'm not going to repeat myself, because I've already made my arguments. There's no bias either (or, at the least, there's a little BIT), otherwise I would've said AB was the best a long time ago.

There's a lot. You are generally full of shit with this.

Remember when you said you were unbiased in saying that Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger were both Top 3 QBs? This is pretty much the same thing. Antonio Brown is in a perfect situation to succeed. Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, etc are not. They're great WRs on otherwise pretty miserable and crappy teams. Antonio Brown is a great WR on a team with a proper running game and other receiving threats, good QB play, and a solid OC and coaching. Yet, you still can't definitively say Brown is better than Jones, Calvin Johnson, and DeAndre Hopkins.

OBJ is doing pretty well in his first two seasons, I mean Brown has only been relevant for like two seasons himself.

Well, Cam just might be a top 5 QB now, at least. He doesn't have a whole lot to work with, but he's been having an MVP-caliber season.

At the time you're talking about though, I only remember saying Ben and Cam were my favorite QBs. Not that they were top 3. I do think Ben is top 3 though. Aaron Rodgers, Brady, and Ben are the top 3 QBs. Add in Russell Wilson and Cam Newton for top 5. Just my opinion.

And yeah, AB has other receiving threats on his team, which means he competes with them for catches. But he still gets a whole lot anyway. Todd Haley is still not a very good OC to me, actually. He's too conservative a lot of the time and even Ben always said he hated his "dink and dunk" system. Ben actually calls a lot of plays as well and when he does, things happen. Mike Tomlin is a great coach though.

Brown has had three straight seasons with 1000 receiving yards, actually. And the only reason he wasn't all that relevant beforehand was because Hines Ward hadn't yet retired.

Edited by Anacybele

Through last week's stats, the top wide receiver in DYAR this year actually hasn't been mentioned here yet- John Brown of the Arizona Cardinals.

I think the Falcons need to win out, the Seahawks and Vikings need to both lose out, and Atlanta would win Strength of Victory over both of them. So, extremely unlikely.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I secretly want the Redskins to lose out so the Giants can sneak into the playoffs.

The Giants then make it to the Super Bowl with some Eli Magic.

Then this is going to be like Return of the Jedi where Eli defeats Brady. Bill Belichick retires ultimately retiring Brady....maybe...

Through last week's stats, the top wide receiver in DYAR this year actually hasn't been mentioned here yet- John Brown of the Arizona Cardinals.

He's quietly been great too, I forgot. I'd say he's better than Odell Beckham.

based on what

cause OBJ has been killing it far more than john brown has these past two years

Well, Cam just might be a top 5 QB now, at least. He doesn't have a whole lot to work with, but he's been having an MVP-caliber season.

At the time you're talking about though, I only remember saying Ben and Cam were my favorite QBs. Not that they were top 3. I do think Ben is top 3 though. Aaron Rodgers, Brady, and Ben are the top 3 QBs. Add in Russell Wilson and Cam Newton for top 5. Just my opinion.

Tonight I will dig up this post and find it. You said "I did a bunch of analysis and that is what I came up with" and did not post said analysis because you had to leave for work.

And yeah, AB has other receiving threats on his team, which means he competes with them for catches. But he still gets a whole lot anyway. Todd Haley is still not a very good OC to me, actually.

He still has 2.5x as many as Martavis Bryant, but that's because when you don't cover him he'll torch you. People are more afraid of a burner sometimes than Antonio Brown.

He's too conservative a lot of the time and even Ben always said he hated his "dink and dunk" system. Ben actually calls a lot of plays as well and when he does, things happen. Mike Tomlin is a great coach though.

Aaron Rodgers has come out and said that even Peyton Manning doesn't call his own plays. No QB does. Stop trying to shift the credit. If Ben is doing well, then that means Haley is doing well.

Brown has had three straight seasons with 1000 receiving yards, actually. And the only reason he wasn't all that relevant beforehand was because Hines Ward hadn't yet retired.

No, it's because he wasn't that relevant in 2013. Lots of players have had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons, for longer too. Edited by Lord Raven

I don't remember saying anything about an analysis, but if I did, I don't know why I did. I wouldn't be saying such things now.

Maybe it wasn't 1000 yards specifically then, I just recall something saying that AB is one of only a handful of players that have had three straight seasons with a certain number of receiving yards. Might have been 3000.