2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

Yes, it is. Think of it this way. A team that hasn't been to a Super Bowl hasn't won one, but that means they haven't lost one either! They haven't had the disappointment of losing one! The Panthers, on the other hand, have lost 2 out of 2 Super Bowls. They have a worse SB record than the Browns!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish people would stop reminding me of that. I'm WELL AWARE of that. Fans of teams that HAVE been to a Super Bowl and lost are allowed to be disappointed too, you know. It doesn't mean we equate us to those other teams.

Besides, I'd actually say that not going to a Super Bowl is better than losing all the ones you've been to.

Ana, the Bills have had it worse than the Panthers. :P

Yes, it is. Think of it this way. A team that hasn't been to a Super Bowl hasn't won one, but that means they haven't lost one either! They haven't had the disappointment of losing one! The Panthers, on the other hand, have lost 2 out of 2 Super Bowls. They have a worse SB record than the Browns!

instead htey have had the disappointment of having shitty seasons

the Texans fans have had to deal with almost 14 years of futility. Texans have sucked most of the time theyve existed

Browns fans keep getting close to a Super Bowl in the 80s but losing the AFC Title game. they've never felt happiness

Jaguars fans are the same way

ditto for Lions fans who have had one playoff win their entire existence

Panthers/Bills/etc would much rather have gone and lost than never won because it is seriously better to be a Bills/Panthers fan than a Lions/Jaguars/Browns fan

Cynthia can weigh in on this, as can Life

Well, then I guess I'm someone that would rather have a bad season than lose the Super Bowl multiple times.

Like I said, in no way am I equating this to any of those teams, I never once implied that they don't have it worse overall or anything. I'm sick of people bringing this up every time I'm disappointed, so just STOP already. There's no use in beating a dead horse.

Edited by Anacybele

That was because I was also respecting them for how far they managed to get despite all the bumps and bruises they went through. And because I feel that having a season go bad because of injuries after it looked like it'd be great is more disappointing than a season being bad because the team is bad. Look how upset you were when the Ravens went down the drain after so many of their guys got hurt. You were all "man, fuck this season!" and understandably so. If the Steelers were in that position, I'd feel the same way, man. And also, when a team is looking really good, fans and other people get excited for it, and then when those expectations aren't even close to being met, it hurts. It's the pressures and expectations having been so high. You have a good chance of winding up setting yourself up for big disappointment.

I guess for me, a bad team losing all the time is just same old same old for me. I always said "same old lousy Pirates" when the Pirates sucked for so long in MLB. When injuries cause a bad season, it's just...UGH I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS to me.

Edited by Anacybele

i'd still rather we make the playoffs and lose than never make the playoffs lol

compare my reaction to losing in the playoffs in 2014 to the 2013 or this season

we lost two heartbreakers of AFCCGs but that gave me hope that we would eventually win another one

Toronto doesn't have an NFL team so I flip between the Bills and the Lions based on which team I like more that season.

Ana, trust me, I'd much rather make a championship and get demolished than be bad every year.

Yeah, I can attest that being a Jags fan was more fun when they were competitive than this current 8? year stretch of complete futility. The Steelers have never been anything close to a perennial laughingstock during your lifetime, so I'm not sure you get it really.

No, I do get it. I mean, I can't entirely relate since you're right, the Steelers have never been a terrible team in my lifetime. But I understand where you guys are coming from. I just have a different mindset, that's all. Like I said, you're allowed to feel the way you feel and I just try to respect that is all.

I just think like... I'm not sure you realize how almost offensive some of us find this, as fans of teams who've been mediocre to terrible for a long time?

Switching sports for a sec- for the first time in over 20 years, the Blue Jays made the playoffs in baseball, and were actual legit contenders too. Probably the first time since maybe 2002 that a Toronto sports team has been a legit contender. We never made it to the World Series, but the atmosphere in the city for those few months where we were awesome was amazing. I was pretty disappointed when they lost, but I'd never give up the experience of being in Nathan Phillips Square (our main public city square) when we beat the Rangers in the ALDS. And we gave up a ton at the trade deadline and all, but I didn't and don't care.

I would like to take a moment to brag about something

the Panthers got the Ravens I don't like and ones that caused false starts - Ed Dickson and Michael Oher

the Broncos got the Ravens I adored - Darian Stewart, Gary Kubiak, and Rick Dennison

Gary Kubiak credits his time spent coaching under Harbaugh for much of his success this year. Especially after that trainwreck of a 2013 season in Houston.

EDIT: this is why i dont care about a singular 5-11 season, Harbaugh kept our guys playing hard despite the injuries

Edited by Lord Raven

I just think like... I'm not sure you realize how almost offensive some of us find this, as fans of teams who've been mediocre to terrible for a long time?

Switching sports for a sec- for the first time in over 20 years, the Blue Jays made the playoffs in baseball, and were actual legit contenders too. Probably the first time since maybe 2002 that a Toronto sports team has been a legit contender. We never made it to the World Series, but the atmosphere in the city for those few months where we were awesome was amazing. I was pretty disappointed when they lost, but I'd never give up the experience of being in Nathan Phillips Square (our main public city square) when we beat the Rangers in the ALDS. And we gave up a ton at the trade deadline and all, but I didn't and don't care.

Now you know how I felt as a Brewer fan during the 2011 playoff run. The city was buzzing, and throughout the state it was one of the extremely rare times the Packers actually took a back seat, at least for a short while. Sure the Cardinals ruining everything and the Braun scandal that unfurled the following months hurt a lot, but for a brief moment, it seemed like I'd be celebrating like crazy, and that Milwaukee (and the state of Wisconsin) would be partying for a long time.

Speaking of which, maybe we should get a 2016 MLB thread going?

Edited by Bullwine85

Panthers/Bills/etc would much rather have gone and lost than never won because it is seriously better to be a Bills/Panthers fan than a Lions/Jaguars/Browns fan

Cynthia can weigh in on this, as can Life

Losing two different Super Bowls is one thing. Losing 4 consecutive is a completely different thing.

I'd rather be in the Lions situation than my own (not the Jags or Browns). The Lions had a season where they went 0-16 and they're still respected as a franchise. Nobody respects the Bills. In my lifetime, I have never been told that I support a good team and I deserve to be proud of it. The Bills are that mediocre joke that lost 4 Super Bowls in a row and then made the playoffs 16 years ago only to lose on a play that was considered a "miracle".

So no. I'm not sure that it's better to go and lose. Maybe we wouldn't be the laughingstock of the NFL while I have to rewatch Aikman highlights of how he crushed my defense.

I don't understand how you can say that it's better to be a Bills fan than it is to be a Lions fan. Lions fans have it better than us. Jaguars are still a new franchise (in relation) and the Browns are a factory of sadness.

EDIT: I need to clarify something.

For all that I bitch about how terrible it is to be a Bills fan, I love my team. I really do. I've been tested year after year and I still care. It is one of the iconic franchises and there is so much history in Orchard Park. And one day, maybe years from now when I have children, we will finally get this monkey off our backs and win 4 in a row. We are a proud franchise, united in our pain and triumphs. And we will always love our team, no matter how bad it gets.

Why are people acting like teams don't deserve to win games unless their offence wins it? If the score had been, like, 48-42 or something, nobody would be talking about how bad both teams' defences would have had to be to run up a 90pt game; they'd be talking up the offences left to right. Denver's defence was awesome and acting like they were the "least bad team" is doing them a huge disservice.

Because the game was so sloppy on both sides of the ball by both teams.

It wasn't a defensive masterpiece. Neither defense played well with all the silly penalties they racked up (like that obvious facemask by Talib in the 1st quarter). But the offenses (and I mean both) were that much worse. Dropped balls, fumbles, terrible blitz pick-ups, bad INTs... It felt like watching a Thursday Night Division III high school game.

I loved it but it was not a game where either team deserved to win. Carolina just deserved to lose more than Denver.

Edited by eclipse
I hear and obey

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, February 9, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, February 9, 2016 - No reason given

This is a double post but it needs to be addressed (I can't copy/paste the quote). Can a mod please consolidate my post?

Why are people acting like teams don't deserve to win games unless their offence wins it? If the score had been, like, 48-42 or something, nobody would be talking about how bad both teams' defences would have had to be to run up a 90pt game; they'd be talking up the offences left to right. Denver's defence was awesome and acting like they were the "least bad team" is doing them a huge disservice.

It wasn't a defensive masterpiece. Neither defense played well with all the silly penalties they racked up (like that obvious facemask by Talib in the 1st quarter). But the offenses (and I mean both) were that much worse. Dropped balls, fumbles, terrible blitz pick-ups, bad INTs... It felt like watching a Thursday Night Division III high school game.

I loved it but it was not a game where either team deserved to win. Carolina just deserved to lose more than Denver.

How many of you have had a competitive team nerfed by a meddling club owner. Tennessee had potential once, but Bud Adams wouldn't leave well enough alone and fired the current head coach of the LA Rams. Bud Adams drove the Titans into the ground along with him, and that's sad. I just hope the draft this year gives us some good lineman that will work with Marcus Mariota.

For all that I bitch about how terrible it is to be a Bills fan, I love my team. I really do. I've been tested year after year and I still care. It is one of the iconic franchises and there is so much history in Orchard Park. And one day, maybe years from now when I have children, we will finally get this monkey off our backs and win 4 in a row. We are a proud franchise, united in our pain and triumphs. And we will always love our team, no matter how bad it gets.

And that's a great attitude to have! It is! It shows that you're never giving up on your team and that you'd still support them no matter what. I still love the Pirates even though they sucked for most of my lifetime so far. I might not find baseball fun to WATCH exactly, but I still. I like baseball as a sport and am always happy to hear if the Pirates win. And I actually watched a few Pirates games the past couple years, not because they finally made the playoffs again, but I was interested in seeing the players that made that happen for the first time in so long.

snip

There is no fucking way you are bitching about Jim Kelly and the K-Gun offense failing to win a Super Bowl against probably the most stacked division of the early 90s. They literally went up against teams that were in the running for greatest teams of all time and they were outmatched by that 1990 Giants All-Star coaching staff. What did the Lions have to celebrate about in their miserable existence in the Super Bowl era? Barry Sanders? You keep complaining about how much the Music City Miracle still stings and Lions face shit like that every time they go to the playoffs. In this decade we had stuff like the blatant PI against Pettigrew that would've sealed the game if called properly and putting up 28 points yet being against a Saints offense that did not punt the entire game. There is no way you would rather be a Lions fan, especially since Buffalo's future is rather bright regardless of Rex Ryanisms.

The Bills won't even be seen as a joke once they start making the playoffs. The Lions have been perpetually a joke in the NFL, the Jaguars have been basically irrelevant since 2007 and before that they were still pretty irrelevant because their team was constantly getting crushed by Manning, the Titans' last season of relevance was 2008 when they were upset by an upstart Baltimore team with a rookie QB and head coach, and before that it was like 1999, etc etc etc. There are many fanbases that have faced more futility than the Bills, and just because the Bills lost 4 straight Super Bowls in the 90s against some all-time great teams does not make it worse to be a Bills fan than a Lions fan.

The Lions have actually had it worse than the Browns if you take the entirety of the last 50 years as a whole.

Yes, that facemask by Talib was to save a TD, even though they got a TD anyway.

The blitz pickups on Manning's side weren't bad, but there were a few (Kuechly breaking free across the middle) that were questionable. This kind of stuff happens. As for the rest, Denver D was pretty tight on Panthers WRs for the most part, and Panthers WRs are pretty terrible this year. Denver D also gave zero pocket for Newton to throw in and with or without blitz pickups Cam Newton wasn't doing anything. Cam Newton was pressured on something like 43% of all drop backs, and when he wasn't pressured there wasn't much opened (and he managed to make a bunch of his shots - he did throw 265 yards albeit on 40 attempts).

Peyton Manning was just told to play conservative. If we had an aggressive offense from Denver, they lose that game. The offenses were sloppy precisely because the defenses were way too good, and Denver's offense has been sloppy since basically the second half of last season.

Edited by Lord Raven

You know, are my Steelers the ONLY team who can make that Broncos' D look mortal at all? lol cause it seemed to me like we were the only ones who could all season. Ben was the only QB to throw 300 yards on them (and he did it TWICE!) and the Steelers were the only team to get more than 30 points on them.

I feel like if the Broncos got to the playoffs again the way they are now, the Steelers are the only team I can see beating them. I'm not saying this because they're my favorite, I swear. It's just that not even the Patriots could take them down and the Steelers almost did even while banged up!

Edited by Anacybele

Be glad. Be very glad you weren't around to witness the Kordell Stewart years. Gods... it's like how the Dallas Cowboys were this year.

Uh, actually I was... I was a kid then, but I was around. And he was like a top five dual threat QB according to NFL.com stats. o.O