2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda feel like Cardinals/Panthers might be the real Super Bowl. I think the Patriots have a better chance than the Broncos of beating the Cardinals or Panthers, but that they might struggle in Denver. The Broncos seem to give the Patriots a lot of trouble, especially at home, but it's hard to see them as the Super Bowl winner with their overall offensive play.

I think the other way around. I think the Patriots may come out of Denver alive only to be demolished by Arizona or Carolina.

I also feel like Denver can play Carolina or Arizona pretty evenly.

Edited by Lord Raven

My take on the Hail Mary blitz: if your pass rushers are disciplined, can collapse the pocket and not allow the QB to escape, he cannot step up and get a good throw off to the end zone. If one pass rusher wins a 1-on-1 with an o-linemen, the play is more or less over. Rodgers is one of the best at navigating the pocket and so he managed to buy just a little extra time. There was actual pressure on him which forced him to throw the pass while falling backward, which just makes the play even more absurd.

I'm not condoning the defensive play call but there is actual strategy behind it. The Lions rushed 3, gave Rodgers an easy path to step up and throw a bomb ALL WHILE covering the lateral against nobody. THAT was a joke.

I think the other way around. I think the Patriots may come out of Denver alive only to be demolished by Arizona or Carolina.I also feel like Denver can play Carolina or Arizona pretty evenly.

I don't think the Pats would get demolished by either team. They match up very favorably against the Panthers, at least on defense. Edited by chococoke

The Cardinals lost to a Steelers squad that was using a second string QB that barely knew the team's system and a third string QB and almost lost to a Packers squad that was struggling for awhile. And the Panthers are undefeated at home. I'm favoring the Panthers by a long shot. lol It could still be close though, and the Cardinals could very well come out on top. The Panthers also lost to the team they shut out a few weeks prior, you never know.

Cam Newton deserves this more than anyone in the playoffs right now though, imo, because it's his first NFC title game and the Panthers first as a whole in a long time. The Cardinals at least got to and won an NFC title game already. Besides, I think the Panthers are better equipped to handle either the Broncos or Patriots and I definitely don't want to see the latter winning again. I'd be completely okay with the Broncos getting the Lombardi Trophy, except I don't want to hear idiots whining that it was all rigged because Peyton Manning's possible final season or whatever.

The Panthers lost to a Falcons team that won 2 of their last 10 games. Lets not play that card here, when Landry Jones was also a different playstyle to Michael Vick and Landry Jones had a good squad to throw to.

Cam Newton deserves this more than anyone in the playoffs right now though, imo, because it's his first NFC title game and the Panthers first as a whole in a long time. The Cardinals at least got to and won an NFC title game already.

The Panthers have been to a Super Bowl as well (2003-2004). In fact both teams are 0-1 in Super Bowls. Both teams "deserve" it equally by this definition, except one squad has older players and one squad has much younger players.

I mean, Palmer literally won his first playoff game this year, and he's been in the league since 2003. Newton won his second this year. If anything, Newton has more chances to win compared to Palmer given their 10 year age gap or something.

Edited by Lord Raven

The Panthers lost to a Falcons team that won 2 of their last 10 games. Lets not play that card here, when Landry Jones was also a different playstyle to Michael Vick and Landry Jones had a good squad to throw to.

The Panthers have been to a Super Bowl as well (2003-2004). In fact both teams are 0-1 in Super Bowls. Both teams "deserve" it equally by this definition, except one squad has older players and one squad has much younger players.

It could still be close though, and the Cardinals could very well come out on top. The Panthers also lost to the team they shut out a few weeks prior, you never know.

Cam Newton deserves this more than anyone in the playoffs right now though, imo, because it's his first NFC title game and the Panthers first as a whole in a long time. The Cardinals at least got to and won an NFC title game already.

Also, Cardinals have good receivers too, and they were against our shoddy secondary. And Landry Jones having good receivers to throw to didn't stop him from making the team lose to the Chiefs.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't see how the bolded part contradicts part 2 of my post. The Cardinals and Panthers have been to a Super Bowl in the 2000s. They both lost. Neither of them had their current QB.

You're only saying Newton deserves it more because he's on the team you're rooting for. I think Flacco deserves this Super Bowl more than all 4 combined but sadly he's on IR. Also, Palmer was drafted into a shitshow of a Bengals team as a #1 overall pick, got fucked up by the Steelers badly in his first playoff game, got fucked up harder by other games, the team around him fell apart (Ochocinco got crazier, Chris Henry died, and a Bengals player was getting arrested like every week) and the whole atmosphere of Cincinnati became poisonous until Marvin Lewis cleaned house and drafted the core of the current Bengals team. Then he spent a few years rotting away with those godforsaken Raiders teams in the wake of Al Davis' death before getting traded to the Cardinals and tearing his ACL for the second time during one of the best seasons in Cardinals history, where that team had to rot away on IR and eventually get lead by the likes of Ryan Lindley at QB, the worst starting QB ever.

Palmer's definitely been through hell compared to Newton. Newton at worst has had some bad receivers and some bad OL, but nothing even comparable to the shit that Palmer has gone through, especially if you look at Palmer's history in his first 5 years in comparison to Newton's. And don't forget Larry Fitzgerald getting thrown to by complete scrubs outside of Warner and Palmer, and getting his only previous shot at a Super Bowl - where he had the greatest postseason by a Wide Receiver of all time - snatched away by a team that already had it all.

Edited by Lord Raven

It doesn't, I'm pointing out that you simply repeated what I already stated...

Only the Cardinals had won an NFC title recently, and Cam Newton is here for the first time in his career.

You're only saying Newton deserves it more because he's on the team you're rooting for.

No, I am not. I really wish you would stop putting words in my mouth and twisting everything I say all the time.

Edited by Anacybele

Eagles just signed the First Reich.

RIP EAGLES OFFENSE.

We got the Whiz back!

Watch Rivers be MVP-caliber again.

HELLO CHARGERS OFFENSE.

We missed you Whizzy. Mariota didn't work out? Well, you got yourself a new and improved offensive line and ole' Philly Rivs back.

Now time to sign a new DC or Pags better play "save my ass all year" defense.

At least the Whiz knows how to run the fucking ball with a banged up and shitty O-line. Reich is just gonna call a draw up the middle.

Edited by ~Summer~

I'm not twisting anything you're saying. I'm stating a fact. You're saying shit then backpedaling, and right now you're playing some word games when you say we agree when we do not agree.

Only the Cardinals had won an NFC title recently, and Cam Newton is here for the first time in his career.

Define "recently." 7 years ago is a pretty long time and there are at best like 2 players from the 2008 Cardinals on the 2015 Cardinals. Panthers went 12 years ago, and at best there's like one player from that team on here (if even that, the roster's blown up so many times).

They have both won title games. However, Carson Palmer, the OTHER QB, who was ALSO a #1 overall pick, has NEVER won a playoff game let alone been to a title game before this one. By your logic - saying that this is Cam Newton's first time going - they're both equally deserving.

Then I stealth edited a paragraph stating the shit that Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald have gone through in comparison to Cam Newton and I suggest you read that. You'll find the only person twisting words here is you in order to vindicate your own viewpoint. I don't even care that much about Palmer, so much as Larry Fitzgerald.

Edited by Lord Raven

Well, looks like you still won't get my point and you still think I'm saying something that I'm really not so, whatever, I won't even bother arguing with you at this point. No reason to. Oh, but if something happened in the league less than ten years ago, I consider it recent.

Sooo...on another note, Ben won't need surgery on his shoulder. Didn't know this was even a possibility, but it's a good thing anyway that he won't need it. Can't wait to see my guys all healthy again. I do wonder what's going to happen at kicker though, Boswell and Suisham were both very good. I can see Suisham being dropped though, because of how great Boswell was and the fact that it's hard to come back from an ACL tear. But if this is the case, I wish that guy luck, Suisham had a great run with us.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, looks like you still won't get my point and you still think I'm saying something that I'm really not so, whatever, I won't even bother arguing with you at this point. No reason to.

You are saying Cam Newton deserves to go to the Super Bowl because he's never been before. You are saying the Panthers haven't won one recently therefore they deserve to go, whereas the Cardinals have won one recently. This is not twisting words. You have said this verbatim.

You are also looking at a single player with this logic, and then talking about a whole team in the counterargument as to why the Cardinals don't deserve it. This is actually not coherent either. Does the team deserve it, or does the player deserve it? Because the team that's older by average is the one that deserves it - the team that's younger by average will logically have more chances to do the same thing.

You are

a) not defining "recently" very well, because 7 and 12 years are both pretty distant. Why is 10 years ago "recent" but 12 years ago isn't? Why is that such a hard line to draw? They're both basically forever in football terms - again, I think only like 2 players from that 2008 Cardinals team are still on the Cardinals, and basically nobody from that 2003 Panthers team is on the current Panthers. In fact, only like 1 player from the 2003 Patriots team that won is still on the Patriots (Brady) and two players from the 2008 Steelers team that won is still a Steeler (Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison). And neither of them have the same coaching staff at all from their 2008 and 2003 teams. Neither team "recently" won one. You define recent so you can strengthen your argument, but you don't define recent in a very tangible way. At this point, you need to go back to your promise to never post here again because you're still not making coherent points.

b) not realizing how much less luck Palmer has had in his career.

c) not realizing that somehow, my stating that Palmer is effectively in the same situation as Newton in all of this but worse. You also seem to discount it because the Cardinals made the Super Bowl "recently." But Carson Palmer hasn't made the Super Bowl "recently." In fact, he's running out of chances to make one! He was drafted when the Panthers last made the Super Bowl, Cam Newton was drafted 3 years after the Cardinals made the Super Bowl. And the Panthers aren't as big a shit show as the Bengals were in the 2000s.

Your argument is about why Cam Newton deserves to win it the most. Your argument is flawed. Your argument also applies to Carson Palmer, who has never been to a Super Bowl or NFC Title game or even won a playoff game until last week.

This is where you are missing the point. This is also not hard to see. You are only saying I am putting words in your mouth or things to that extent because you really don't have anything to say because I have basically castrated your argument and you are a sore loser when it comes to this argument. This isn't about winning or losing, this is about you taking a moment to read and understand a post instead of being petulant and thick and clutching your incredibly shaky argument until your hands bleed and your argument withers away. I still do not know why you keep posting in this thread, because you have a knack for saying your viewpoint, applying terrible logic to it, then backing away or continuing the argument when someone calls you out on it, then acting like a victim and accusing the other person of doing things they do not do and then you complain about it some more. Seriously, haven't you learned your lesson by now? You keep claiming I've taught you about football repeatedly but then you say shit like this and you don't convince me that I've really done anything at all. I mean, for the love of god you keep calling the Steelers offense a dink-and-dunk offense when there's not only a more formal term but it diminishes and over simplifies what that particular kind of offense really aims to do.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, as much as I respect Peyton Manning, I agree with ya, Cynthia.

So, on another topic, have any players actually really inspired people around here? They could be on a team you cheer for or not, doesn't matter. Big Ben is the prime one for me, and it's the reason I have so much respect for him today. He really made me a believer in second chances after he turned himself around from his not-so-clean past. And the guy is the toughest dude I ever heard of. He made me want to be a tougher person too, though for me, it's a different sort of toughness. Ben is tough physically, I'd say. I'm trying to be tough on the inside. :)

Antonio Brown is another, ever since that cute ad the Steelers Facebook page posted about him once that involved Tide Pods. The slogan was "Small But Powerful" and that really got to me. I always hated being small. But AB taught me that size doesn't matter so much! Maybe I can be small but powerful too in some sense, just like AB. <3

Cam Newton has also inspired me some because how the heck can that guy smile so much? I've seen him smile even when something annoys him. lol I wish I could be more like that! I'd probably have more fun! So I try to smile as much as I can because of that man right there.

Edited by Anacybele

AB is 5'10". That's not small. That slogan is pretty stupid. And please take time to respond to my post as I've taken time to respond to yours. Nobody likes you in this thread because you do shit like this.

Dudes who somewhat inspire me:

Kurt Warner, Tom Brady; read their NFL backstories - Tom Brady is also extremely determined, obsessive, and competitive, and it's actually inspiring to hear how hard he works with fear that he'll be thrown under the bus when someone slightly better comes along, but it's also frightening in the sense that NFL Players in general feel like that

Joe Flacco - because I can be dull and still win 120m dollars

Steve Smith - cause he's a badass mother fucker and I want to be a badass mother fucker

Ed Reed - came from a pretty shitty background, worked hard as hell to become one of the smartest football players ever, plays my favorite defensive position

Brian Billick - "When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch!' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."

Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin - badass mother fuckers

Jonathan Ogden - because no matter how shitty your job is (his being to protect shitty Ravens QB #1341234980985345), you do it and stay loyal to Baltimore

Orlando Pace - because he got to protect Kurt Warner

Aaron Rodgers - because fuck racism

Chad Ochocinco - HOF 20??

Randy Moss -

- because he carried those 2000s Vikings sorry asses into the playoffs before getting traded to Oakland

Jim Kelly - fuck cancer

Ray Guy - if he gets into the HOF maybe Koch will too

list goes on, i really stopped being serious around Joe Flacco

I'm hard pressed to say this all though because Ray Rice used to be a wonderful person in my hometown and we all know what became of that. To me half of these people aren't all that real.

AB is 5'10". That's not small. That slogan is pretty stupid. And please take time to respond to my post as I've taken time to respond to yours. Nobody likes you in this thread because you do shit like this.

It's small for the NFL. Most NFL players are 6 feet and above. He's also the shortest person on the Steelers, I believe. Also, I told you I didn't want to argue with you anymore, it was your choice not to listen. There's no need to be so rude.

Also, that's pretty damn awesome of Rodgers. Kudos to him for that!

Edited by Anacybele

It's small for the NFL. Most NFL players are 6 feet and above. He's also the shortest person on the Steelers, I believe.

5'10" is a size for a WR that isn't gigantic and many cornerbacks. Many famous WRs have been 5'10" or around 5'10", and many current ones are also around that height. RBs too tend to be around 5'10". 5'10" is also not short or small in general.

Some notableWRs that are around 5'10";

Steve Smith Sr.

TY Hilton

Wes Welker

Odell Beckham Jr

Randall Cobb

Julian Edelman

Tavon Austin

Deion Branch

In fact 1/4 of all draft WRs are shorter than 6 feet typically, and there are a bunch of great WRs that hang out at 6'0" as well. It's not that uncommon nor is it something to make a movement about especially since the person in question is really not small... now Darren Sproles on the other hand is like 5'5" or 5'6" and he needs help.

Also, I told you I didn't want to argue with you anymore, it was your choice not to listen. There's no need to be so rude.

You're being rude and dismissive. Edited by Lord Raven

You're still missing the point that he's the shortest Steeler and he's often (attempted to be) covered and tackled by guys taller than him. I highly doubt that the ad was comparing him to other WRs. Also, it's a FREAKING AD. I don't see why you're making a huge deal out of it.

You're being rude and dismissive.

lol you're the one saying people here hate me and shit. And like I said, I TOLD you I didn't want to argue any further because I didn't see any more point in it. And I still don't because we won't agree. You say continuing to argue is less rude than trying to ignore someone who's arguing with you? I'm often told ignoring is the better way to go, so that's what I do. I'm trying to improve myself all the time, so what else would I do than do my best to listen to advice that's given to me?

Edited by Anacybele

Well, the Browns made another rare good decision by bringing Ray Horton back as the defensive coordinator. The wins weren't really there the last time he was coach (the wins never are there with the Browns), but our defense was solid. With how bad our defense was this year (probably the worst in the league), it's nice to have him back.