2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or unless the Broncos defense can get the better of Superman Cam. Either one of these things can happen. But Cam and company should look at what my Steelers did against these guys in their first matchup to know how to beat that great defense. We ARE the team that put up the biggest numbers against them! ;3

The Panthers will steamroll the Broncos unless Pey-Pey pulls a golden rabbit out of his hat.

I think Kubiak is enough of a motivator as a coach to pull this win off. If John Fox were in this position I'd have no hope, but I have a little bit of faith in the Broncos because of Kubiak and Wade Phillips.

That defense is no joke at all, especially since their safeties will have two weeks to rest from last game. The only reason the AFCCG was close was because Ward and Stewart left the game. This definitely isn't like the Seahawks who have had issues despite steamrolling their (easy) end of year schedule or the Cardinals who were missing a Free Safety and a QB who had a bad finger. If Arizona had Denver's defense then 17-20 points could win it.

I suspect they'll be looking pretty closely at the tape from the Falcons game as well as the second Saints game. The second Saints game was a bit anomalous anyway, no way Denver's taking a game in a shootout.

Edited by Lord Raven

Panthers' D is no joke either tho, Raven. I'd say they're the second best D right behind Denver. And Pey-Pey and his guys haven't had any impressive offensive showings lately.

I'm predicting a low-scoring, defensive matchup here with the key factor being either a turnover or Cam Newton's feet.

Edited by Anacybele

Right, I DID just say that the Panthers' D is only second best. I'm just saying that I think they're good enough to handle Peyton's squad.

Edited by Anacybele

okay so the idea I was bringing up is

panthers D is actually a good step below Broncos D

now, Panthers D as second best? Just going by numbers, the Cardinals/Seahawks/Vikings D are arguably better. In fact, 11 of the Top 12 defenses were in the playoffs this year; only the Patriots/Steelers/Washington/Packers defense could be definitively considered worse than the Panthers D. The rest are arguably better

Broncos D is still much much better than the Panthers D especially if you consider the unit they often have to compensate for is like the 20th ranked offense. Most of those other teams save the Vikings did not have to deal with what the Broncos defense had to deal with

Edited by Lord Raven

The Cardinals D was amazing

I mean, the Panthers gave up 38 points to the Saints

They were #7 in PA, #5 in yards allowed, #2 in Turnovers, and their run D was phenomenal. Their issue was mainly post Tyrann Mathieu defense stuff, but they were still a very good defense throughout the entire season

I mean the Panthers lost to the Falcons, that's just about as bad as losing to a QB you didn't prepare to play against.

The Cardinals D was amazing

I mean, the Panthers gave up 38 points to the Saints

They were #7 in PA, #5 in yards allowed, #2 in Turnovers, and their run D was phenomenal. Their issue was mainly post Tyrann Mathieu defense stuff, but they were still a very good defense throughout the entire season

I mean the Panthers lost to the Falcons, that's just about as bad as losing to a QB you didn't prepare to play against.

Actually, I'm going to side with Ana on this one, bro.

First off, the Panthers beat Atlanta 38-0 in Carolina. The reverse game was two weeks later (week 16) where the Panthers had already locked up a playoff spot and possibly first round bye (I wasn't following NFC at all) and it was 20-13 in Atlanta. It doesn't take a genius to point out that that loss didn't matter. In addition, giving up 38 to the Saints wasn't great but 1) it was in the Superdome and 2) the Saints offense isn't as bad as you want it to be. They dropped 52 on the Giants (you remember that game) and scored 20+ points in all but 5 games. That's nearly 75% of the season.

You're really selling the Panthers short here. I also think that they're overall better than the Broncos, despite that defense that Denver brings to the table.

but i also don't think panthers D is definitively second best

Maybe not but your points for why the Panthers' D was not being second best were quite terrible. Can't let you slide on those.

As for Cards D vs. Panthers D, just looking at the scores makes me say that Carolina was crap in comparison.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

Also the Saints dropped 52 on a Giants Defense that were really competing with the Saints D for "worst defenses in the league" department. Sadly, the Saints won it by a landslide - by breaking the record for passing touchdowns allowed in a season.

Also, that Saints offense has been REALLY hit or miss last season. They had 5 games of less than 20 points which is close to 33% of the season (closer to 33% than 25%, 5/16 is 31.25%), and shit like the Lions game where they basically scored against more conservative defense when the Lions were at a 28-3 lead. I don't think letting up 38 points against the Saints is a good thing for a good defense. I mean they were a pretty good offense but let's not pretend that they were anything special this year. Besides, the argument was about points allowed, not about who allowed it. The Cardinals allowed more points from a better offense, the Panthers allowed a less points from an inferior offense but it's still a lot of points. Both were also playing away games in those games too. These are also forgetting how 49 points against the Cardinals in that game was 13 more than the Cardinals had allowed at most all year, and even that thrashing by Seattle was in part due to Palmer and not the Cardinals defense. I mean, both teams allowed a lot of points from divisional rivals with pretty good offenses.

Meanwhile, Ana's point was also that a third string QB beat them - ignoring how Landry and Vick had different playstyles, they still allowed only 23 points, and they were more prepared for Vick than Landry. Shit like that happens anyway. The counterpoint is that the Panthers lost to the Falcons, who suck harder than the Steelers. The Falcons won 3 of their last 10 games or some shit and themselves lost to a Blaine Gabbert led 49ers team. This shit happens sometimes, and it isn't a singular point you can really bring up to completely disparage a team's accomplishment. As well as the concept of the transitive law of sports, which does not exist.

The stats also don't really definitively make Carolina the second best defense in the league. The Panthers were not trying to put their foot off the pedal in the last few games - they may have had a first round bye locked up but they did not have the 1 seed locked up until Week 17. You can't just shift the narrative like that. If Carolina dropped one more game and if Arizona won against Seattle Week 17 then you wouldn't have the benefit of hindsight to call that loss to Atlanta meaningless. It was not meaningless when they were playing at the time - it is only meaningless in retrospect.

They weren't awful, I just didn't bother expanding on them. I just think the Broncos defense is head and shoulders above any other defense in the league.

I don't buy the "not prepared for Landry Jones" excuse because the Chiefs had no problem dealing with him and I believe no one was entirely sure whether or not Ben would be back for that game. Also, the Bengals had no problems with Jones when he came in for Ben in the playoff game. It was only when Ben came back in later that the Bengals shit themselves.

You are right that shit happens sometimes though. Even the best teams just sometimes have an off-day.

Edited by Anacybele

Landry Jones is a pocket passer. Vick is not. Ben is also a pocket passer. It's easier to prepare for a pocket passing backup to a pocket passer. Furthermore, Chiefs D is really fantastic too,

Landry Jones is also better than Vick at this point in their careers.

I don't know, Vick actually got us a couple wins (I don't count the win over the Cardinals as a win by Landry Jones, I count it as a win by Vick and Martavis Bryant). Landry Jones failed just about every time he played. There was a reason the Steelers brought in Vick in the first place. It also sounds like Vick wants to stay with us for the remainder of his career too, he says he loves the organization.