2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

8 minutes ago, chococoke said:

Big Ben said he might retire, LOL. Dude must really hate playing the Pats. Except he's really just a drama queen that loves attention

He is NOT a drama queen, I don't know where you got such a stupid idea. Ben is actually pretty humble these days and doesn't care about stats or attention or anything. He just wants to win. If he wanted attention, why isn't he in commercials like Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning? Why isn't he tweeting or Facebooking a lot? And so on. Because he doesn't give a damn. And whether or not he hates playing your team, he'd never make that a reason to retire, because it's plain stupid.

That being said, I'm surprised Ben is considering retirement, but at the same time, I'm not. He hasn't been playing too well lately, and it could very well be due to age. Yet, I also like to think that he wants to keep the three B's together just a little longer and give a third SB ring at least one more shot.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, chococoke said:

OMG Ana, can you just leave me alone? Why are you calling my ideas stupid?! You always come after me whenever I post! STOP

I wouldn't say I ALWAYS go after you, but sheesh, fine. You don't have to be so overdramatic about it.

Big Ben has racked up quite a few injuries and his play definitely dropped over the past few months of this season. I doubt it's because the Pats wrecked him (recall that he was knocked out of the playoffs by Tim Tebow at one point), but maybe he thinks that his body is just done.

If Ben does retire, then the Steelers better have a god awful 2017 season to get a high high draft pick and pick up a worthy QB. Landry Jones is going into free agency and Zach Mettenberger hasn't even played a snap yet. Landry Jones is no starter anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

So, I don't actually believe he's going to retire. I also don't believe he made those comments because of the game against the Pats. It seems more likely that he's trying to get some kind of shake up, likely at the coaching level. I'm not saying he wants Mike Tomlin fired, but the fact that the Steelers still use the same defense against Tom Brady (who has NEVER had trouble with that scheme) is a huuuuuuge red flag in the NFL, where it's essentially adapt or be forgotten.

Also, Ana, my earlier post was sarcasm. Feel free to criticize my opinions at your leisure. That's why I post them :)

Yeah, I don't really think Ben will retire either, I'm just putting out what I'd prefer the Steelers do if he did. I also don't know what the heck was going on with the defensive gameplay. Our young DBs said they were caught off guard, which is fair, this is the first time they've faced Brady (Davis and Burns weren't starters last time), but yeah, trying the same kind of defense over and over is just a big fat no, and hopefully this wakes up Tomlin and Butler and teaches them to make proper adjustments. I like Tomlin, I don't REALLY want to see him get fired, and Keith Butler has shown potential as DC, but if poor coaching like this continues, SOMEONE has to take the fall.

And my bad then, it's really hard for me to detect sarcasm over the internet.

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Tomlin has won two Super Bowls and has never had a losing season as a coach (I think), so firing him seems pretty unlikely IMO.

He's won one super bowl and lost another

Tomlin has also always had a top 5 QB and a (usually) decent/good defense. I've always questioned his in-game decisions (the ones I've seen, anyway. I don't watch the Steelers too often.)

Reading Tomlin's comments on Ben, though, it certainly seems like there's a bit of friction between the two of them

Edited by chococoke

57 minutes ago, chococoke said:

Why do you like Tomlin, though? Do you think he's a good coach?

I like Tomlin as a person. He's a really cool dude. The players love him too. In fact, he was voted the most liked coach by players some time ago, I believe, if not one of the most liked coaches.

But yeah, I question some of his in-game decisions too. He's a GOOD coach, but not a GREAT one. He's got work to do to become truly GREAT.

And yeah, Tomlin's had Ben to help him out, and he's also had the best WR and RB for the last three years. I'll be sad if AB and Bell never get rings. They deserve to get them because they're so talented and they're good dudes. They're not perfect, nobody is, we all know about AB's dumb Facebook stunt and all and Bell's suspensions, but they seem like genuinely nice guys. AB's even married with three kids and his most valued memory is when his first was born. And everybody makes mistakes, honestly.

Edited by Anacybele

Imo Tomlin is near the bottom of top 10 coaches

EDIT: anyone else pissed the pro bowl went back to AFC vs NFC? Team Captains was way better

Edited by Lord Raven

3 hours ago, chococoke said:

Did you just start watching the NFL?

What's a touch-down.....

I wouldn't be surprised if Brady walked away with another ring from this Super Bowl. Phhfff even with Gronk out they are still managing well.

Pro bowls are half-hearted games, rather watch a decent NBA game that's more exciting. 

I don't get why people shit on the Pro Bowl. Yeah it has no real importance, but it's not meant to be super important in any way. It's just a fun popularity thing and that's all.

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

Imo Tomlin is near the bottom of top 10 coaches

Thinking about it, yeah I guess I don't see that many coaches as great so that sounds about right even if I don't think Tomlin is amazing. I'm not even sure who my #3 coach would be (Belicheck would be my #1 and I think Carroll would be my #2 pick). 

Honestly, I think the Falcons have a better than 50-50 shot at winning LI. Their offense has too many options to be effectively limited, and the combination of Freeman/Coleman will be the ultimate X factor in that game. Bill likes to change his game plan but the one thing that almost always hold true for his defense is he will allow you to check down to your RB. 2 explosive RBs that are factors in the passing game? Yikes

Definitely considered Harbaugh- actually thought about Reid (cue time management jokes) because he's managed to be a perennial playoff contender with two organizations which is tough to do.

Some new head coaches have nothing to go off of and some newer ones only have 1-2 years which makes them tough to judge. For instance, Adam Gase did a pretty amazing job getting a questionably talented Dolphins team to 10-6, but if they go 4-12 next year he doesn't seem like a good coach.