2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

Belichick is definitely #1 and Carroll/Harbaugh/Reid have to be in the same tier. Tomlin/McCarthy/Arians/Garrett/Rivera/maybe Del Rio?/O'Brien/Zimmer should be in the tier below that, and then we have things like Caldwell/Pagano/Lewis/Fox as the fourth tier (mediocre but not terrible coaches). Everyone else is kind of up in the air. I think Sean Payton should be borderline between the second and third tier though, because Payton's always had like a top 5 offense in his tenure but that defense has always been shit. With at least a mediocre defense his teams tend to be incredible though.

He is NOT a drama queen, I don't know where you got such a stupid idea.

I forgot to mention this. My main issue with Roethlisberger is the multiple instances of him playing up his injuries just to seem more heroic than he actually is. I'll dig up some sources later for this, since I'm about to go eat.

It's also partially bias because, again, I've seen Flacco play up an injury exactly once - and that was to get a roughing call (that he didn't get) in a very close game. Otherwise, he's gone on with a torn ACL/MCL as if it was nothing and he's braved through shoulder injuries without making it obvious (one example being a few games this season).

Would be hilarious also if the Pro Bowl ends up better than these playoffs. We've had like two close games the entire playoffs? Christ almighty.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bill O'Brien is a pretty good head coach, too. The guy is basically the only successful Belichick disciple to make it has a head coach. His teams haven't been spectacular, but he's also had utter dog crap at the most important position in the game. 

I think a rough top 5 of coaches for me is 

1) Belichick

2) John Harbaugh

3) Carroll

4) Billy O?

Uh, this is getting tough. I think I'm gonna just make it a top 3. I don't know if there's ever been a more underwhelming group of coaches in the league. Even the coaches for perennial playoff contenders have deep flaws (Reid, Tomlin) and the others who are long-tenured have ugly marks on their records. Ironically, Jim Harbaugh would've made my list at 2 or 3 if he didn't get fired by the 49ers

Yeah, Bill O'Brien making that Texans offense 'work' even with having low QB talent has been pretty impressive. 

As for Falcons/Patriots- the Falcons are a very special team offensively, much better than what the Patriots have seen so far this year. The Patriots defense is definitely better- but the Falcons defense may not be as bad as some statistics make it look since they go into a lot of prevent. I would say expect a shootout, but we thought the conference championships would be that and they were both blowouts so who knows.

15 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

I forgot to mention this. My main issue with Roethlisberger is the multiple instances of him playing up his injuries just to seem more heroic than he actually is. I'll dig up some sources later for this, since I'm about to go eat.

It's also partially bias because, again, I've seen Flacco play up an injury exactly once - and that was to get a roughing call (that he didn't get) in a very close game. Otherwise, he's gone on with a torn ACL/MCL as if it was nothing and he's braved through shoulder injuries without making it obvious (one example being a few games this season).

Would be hilarious also if the Pro Bowl ends up better than these playoffs. We've had like two close games the entire playoffs? Christ almighty.

What do you mean "play up an injury"? You mean make it look worse than it actually is while still on the field? I've never in my life seen Ben do such a thing. In fact, most of the time, it's not even that obvious that he's hurt.

Also, he's played through a bum throwing shoulder, and he once played with a bum ankle and broken nose at the same time. I don't think his nose ever quite healed right though, it looks a little weird these days. xP Anyway, there's a reason he was always generally agreed to be one of the toughest QBs in the league, if not THE toughest.

I don't know enough about coaches to rank them.

Edited by Anacybele

Playoffs so far this year: 

blowout, blowout, blowout, blowout, blowout, blowout, close game!, winner doesn't score a TD, blowout, blowout

Pats only play close games in Super Bowls though so don't worry.

Also re: Big Ben drama queen, what Raven said is basically my opinion on the matter. Most competitive players would go out of their way to conceal their injury. Ben goes out of his way to make it known he's playing hurt. This was comically underscored to me when he showed up at his press conference after the Miami win in a boot and basically said "donno what happened but I'll be out there next week!" I know he got rolled up on or whatever but COME ON with that nonsense

So Ben makes sure people know he's hurt? I don't see what's wrong with that. In fact, I think it's better than lying about or hiding your injury and potentially risking your health further or misleading your teammates, coaches, and fans. As far as I can see, Ben's being entirely honest, not trying to be a drama queen or more heroic than he really is.

Also, Ben did know what happened in the Miami game. He said he simply aggravated an old fracture. And even if he didn't, I'm still not understanding what the problem is?

And yeah, aside from the Packers/Cowboys matchup, these playoffs have been pretty bleh.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not saying hide a potentially serious injury from coaches. I mean playing through an injury and not going HEY EVERYONE I'M PLAYING WITH AN INJURY. To us non-Steelers fans, it looks ridiculous. To you, it makes him look tough. I'm not saying he isn't a tough QB because the man is huge and can take punishment, but he loves letting people know that he's playing hurt.

Take a guy like Gronk's replacement, Martellus Bennett. He's been playing through a high ankle sprain since week 5. That's about as serious an injury as you can try to play through without serious time off (Lacy tried to and ended up needing surgery.) Bennett has been asked about his ankle and refuses to tell anyone it's affecting his play. 

Also, Ben hasn't exactly been 100% honest about his injuries. Remember last year when he allegedly had a serious shoulder injury (playoffs I believe?) and then went and threw 60 yards downfield ON THE FIRST PLAY. 

Look, I'm not trying to convince you that Ben is a drama queen. But it's also not a stupid idea nor an opinion only held by Raven and I

It's one thing to play things up for the viewers at home, it's another thing to stay silent until the game is over.

There is a source out there where Ben says or plays up an injury on screen that Cowher later reveals doesn't exist. If you think of it as putting up a public face to play up his brand and get people to support him or love him less so than him not hiding an injury it'll make more sense.

It's better to not hide injuries, most athletes don't hide them, but when you make faces on screen of looking hurt or just over exaggerating an injury then doing the opposite of what that injury entails the next play then you're just playing it up and it's just fake as hell. The majority of the time a major injury isn't revealed until after the game and I think Andrew Luck is a good example of someone who smiles all game until you learn from the coaching staff that he broke all of his ribs and tore something in his shoulder. Speaking of which, thank god be Colts fired Grigson, they hired a counselor for Pagano and Grigson at some point and it didn't work out so they fired Grigson.

EDIT: the Pats don't always play close games in Super Bowls. Maybe in the Brady-Belichick era but the 80s and 90s...

Edited by Lord Raven

The Patriots shouldn't have even been in the damn SB against the '85 Bears so that seems excusable. Also losing by 14 to Favre sucks major balls but all 6 trips since then have almost always featured fascinating story lines (for better and otherwise. . . ) and a nail-biter of a game.

That said I'm hoping we slap the Falcons by 25 so I can celebrate all game long in Boston

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I don't get why people shit on the Pro Bowl. Yeah it has no real importance, but it's not meant to be super important in any way. It's just a fun popularity thing and that's all.

Pro Bowl games are hit or miss for me. They should honestly implement a skills contest like how there is a Slam Dunk Contest & Three Point Contest. It could be for example: "Touchdown Contest" where the QB Hail Marys the footballs to the designated WR who catches it and then the scoring criteria could be: if they caught it, style, etc. Pro Bowl would be much more exciting to watch if it was somethin like that, and if they stook w/captains it would add to the hype

Hmm. I guess I see where you guys are coming from. On the topic of Ben and his injuries, that is. I don't remember that shoulder injury from last year being THAT serious, but it could've very well hurt to throw that ball 60 yards, you never know. Only Ben knows for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've just about made it. Seems like the 2 weeks between championship Sunday and the Super Bowl get longer every year.

I think the biggest key I'll be watching tomorrow is how Alex Mack is playing. He's been so important to the Falcons' offense and his injury seems to be very serious. Without him playing effectively, I think it'll be tough for the Falcons to establish the ground game and run their offense the way they want to. Of course, if they run the ball well and stick with it, they can control the pace of the game and pull out the victory.

On defense, I'm expecting the Patriots to vary their playcalls re: zone or man coverage, as well as who's covering who. Obviously, Julio will draw a double team just about every play. I expect McCourty and Chung to be assigned to cover Coleman/Freeman too, likely swapping their assignments often. Duron Harmon could potentially be the 2nd guy on Julio all game.

On offense, I think Dion Lewis is going to get a lot of action. Lewis has been in a lot of situations with a FB lead blocking, and has carried the ball well in those instances. I remember seeing a stat a couple days ago that Atlanta gives up 5.0 YPC on run plays using a FB. Additionally, Tom can audible to an empty backfield with this personnel (he did it effectively against the Steelers 2 weeks ago, hitting Hogan in the seam for 20+ yards) which will allow for some hurry up to try to overwhelm Atlanta's defense. Play action will be huge too.

I'm expecting a good game, maybe something like 34-27 Patriots. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Falcons make enough to plays to pull off the upset, though.

I don't care, I'm just glad to see Brady get his shit handed to him! NOW RETIRE YOUR ASS, THANKS. :D

This also proves that even great coaches can have bad games, so fuck all the Tomlin haters who keep whining for him to be fired every time we lose. (I know I even said he should probably get fired once, but that was after the four-game losing streak and Tomlin turned everything right around after that)

Edited by Anacybele

Our defense isn't awful though? Yes, they sucked against your team, but that was more Keith Butler's fault than anything. You even said yourself they were running the same defensive scheme over and over, which they were, and that's on the DC, not the players. They just need some better coordination.

But come on, don't blow this lead, Falcons... Prove Brady should just go home and make his only involvement with the NFL his damn TV! :P

Edited by Anacybele