Must play games?

Dwarfishh

Last week me and a mate of mine were having a few drinks and playing some old ps1 games, and we started discussing 'the best games ever', looking at top [insert number here] lists of best games of all time and the like.

What games would you say are must play (definitive) games? Not necessarily your favourite games, or the like, but games which are unique or games which define a genre.

Just curious to see what everybody else thinks.

Edited by Dwarven Darkness

I would find it hard to think of many, many games that would be "must plays" as for the most part it's rather subjective, but the games I would go for would be the ones that show a real knack for game design, mostly NES games. Your Megaman, Castlevania etc., as they really do just serve as the ultimate testament of great game design.

The only other game I would give a "must play" status would definitely be Majora's Mask. I think that game has the best co-existence of setting, plot and mechanics of any other game.

The game I most frequently recommend to someone however, is 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, because that game blew my fucking mind. There is a revelation at the end of the game that quite literally makes you rethink the entire game.

Though I think games the title is most appropriate for is either Pac-Man or Pong.

Definitely Earthbound and Mother 3. I also would say The World Ends With You if you can get your hands on a copy.

I also second Majora's Mask, it is probably one of the best if not the best Zelda ever.

Edited by zerosabers

Your topic is way too broad. There are so many unique games out there... I can't answer your question unless you narrow the scope considerably. I guess I'll try one per genre. Just keep in mind that the games that define genres are usually the ones that invent them, and aren't always the best.

2D Platformer: Super Mario Bros

2.5D Platformer: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

3D Platformer: Super Mario 64

Collection-Racer: NiGHTS Into Dreams

Kart Racer: Super Mario Kart

Futuristic Racer: F-Zero GX

Broken Racer: Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

Minigame Collection: Mario Party

Microgame Collection: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!

Top-Down Action-Adventure: The Legend of Zelda

Side-View Action-Adventure: Metroid

3D Action-Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Zelda Clone: Okami

Haunted House: Luigi's Mansion

Rhythm: Dance Dance Revolution

Roll 'Em Up: Katamari Damacy

Paint 'Em Up: De Blob

Shoot 'Em Up: Space Invaders

3D Shooter-Action: Sin and Punishment

Missile Hell Shoot 'Em Up: Bangai-O Spirits

First-Person Motion-Controlled Sword-Action: Red Steel 2

Party Fighter: Super Smash Bros

Turn-based RPG: Final Fantasy

Strategy RPG: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light

Turn-based Strategy: Advance Wars

The two I would say are the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time ( because it defines modern Zelda games and because of how much it means to my gen of gamers) and Xenoblade chronicles (because of how great it is and how it showed of what the Wii was truly capable of).

For hack-and-slashes,the Devil May Cry series is a good one.Every one,save for DmC:Devil May Cry since it's an AU,is great for beginners.Pokemon or Golden Sun are probably some of must-plays for RPGs.

For hack-and-slashes,the Devil May Cry series is a good one.Every one,save for DmC:Devil May Cry since it's an AU,is great for beginners.Pokemon or Golden Sun are probably some of must-plays for RPGs.

Nah, DMC2 sucks!

Another vote of mine would probably be Dark Souls. Not only does it look exceedingly beautiful for a 2011 game, it also has pretty deep gameplay, extreme yet fair difficulty, one of the best post-Xenoblade soundtracks

Well, pretty much every From Software game is legendary

Eh well here are a few games you could take a quick look at

Seiken Densetsu 3

Densetsu no Stafy 1~3

Spyro

Final Fantasy 3~ 6

Twinkle Star Sprites

Athena

Saint Seiya Hades? I believe I forgot but is for PS2

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2~ 5

Front Mission

Silent Hill

Hoshigami

Final Fantasy Tactics

Castlevania Especially Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood

Romancing SaGa (try them all every game dang near in the series is amazing)

Yoshi`s Island

Nage Libre

As mentioned a few posts above Zelda Majora`s Mask

Hmm Legend of Zelda Four Swords was also good but I only saw and played a bit of it.

Pikmin

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Battle Nexus

Lego Star Wars

Medi Evil

And that is all I can currently think of at the moment

Mh...

Yoshi's Island;

Dark Souls;

FE 4 (lol);

Pokemon Mystery dungeon (not the last);

Final Fantasy 6;

Devil May Cry 3;

Deus Ex;

Animal Crossing.

And a lot and lot of others...

Some I'd say are Metroid Prime (for a definitive example of immersion with limited dialogue and cutscenes), Zelda Majora's Mask (for unique game design), Xenoblade Chronicles (how to make an RPG in the modern age), Batman: Arkham City (how to make an all-rounded action adventure in the modern age), Mega Man X (how to make an action platformer for any age) and Mario Galaxy 1&2 (definitive 3D platformer) Portal 1&2 (almost flawless blend of challenge, humour and good-pacing). I'm not familiar enough with other genres and categories to give a good opinion (in things like FPS's or fighting games, etc.)

I love how pretty much everything here is either for PC or Nintendo.

My favorites (though far from the best) are Awakening, Age of Empires 2, Explorers of Sky, The Thousand Year Door and Donkey Kong 64.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Your topic is way too broad. There are so many unique games out there... I can't answer your question unless you narrow the scope considerably. I guess I'll try one per genre. Just keep in mind that the games that define genres are usually the ones that invent them, and aren't always the best.

The point was to be broad. Thing like genre and an individuals tastes aren't really of concern to the question (Obviouslt taste will play a part in the answers given). I'm also intentionally being quite vague, so people can make their own criteria for 'must play'. I'm not trying to be particularly scientific, I'm just curious about any trends that may appear.

I love how pretty much everything here is either for PC or Nintendo.

Well, being a forum for a nintendo game, we do have a somewhat biased sample...

Let's be a rebel and say Yggdra Union.

The story has all sorts of questions and issues in it, the game system ranges from interesting to outright unfair, and there's a bunch of interesting objectives.

I think an elder scrolls game deserves a place here. Not sure which to choose out of morrowind/oblivion/skyrim, as any of them could fill the part.

RPGs

-Persona 3 & 4

-Fire Emblem 9 & 10

-Final Fantasy X

-Tales of Xillia 2

-Chrono Cross

-Earthbound

-Golden Sun

-Pokemon R/B & G/S

-Xenoblade Chronicles

-Shin Megami Tensei III

-Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

-Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Other

-Resident Evil 4

-Metal Gear Solid 4

-Devil May Cry 3

-Super Mario 64

-Donkey Kong 64

-Banjo-Kazooie

-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This is one of those threads where there's no discussion, right? The less text the better? Right.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

Pure focus on story although with some fantastic gameplay sprinkled throughout. The first installation of the series is by far my favorite video game story of all time, bar none. The writing is fantastic, the humor, characters and their developement and the cases to solve are just absolutely stellar. Not to mention the setting is unique, so if you feel like games today are just the same old same old, try this out.

Edited by Thane

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The game's world's size is comparable to Great Britain and laughs at the microscopic worlds of Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim. And seeing how those latter games threw out all kinds of cool shit like Levitation and pass-through-walls spells out of the window, Daggerfall must be pretty crazy. And it's a MS-DOS game somehow. But then gain, so are the early Microsoft Flight Simulator games.

Super Mario 64

Besides the obvious aspect of how it revolutionises third-person games, I think it really stands out for how open it's worlds are. Walls and slides are weak obstacles for someone who mastered Mario's moves.

Baldur's Gate II

PC RPGs are basically dead these days, with the PC only getting half-assed ports which had to be dumped down for the limitations of the consoles in the first place. Quite frankly, I don't see how BioWare's later games can even compare to this series. When it comes to send a D&D party with up to six dysfunctional members against the damaged resistant, poisened, charm-personing/dominating, attribute damaging, paralyzing and level-draining scum of the Forgotten Realms, unfortunately Baldur's Gate still stands without equal.

Personally I'm more of a fan of the low-level campaign of BG1 but it's hard to argue that the sequel is bigger and better and all that. I just find it hard to juggle like 6 different spellbooks with 9 spell levels each. Damn multiclassing.

Half-Life

Probably more then any other game, Half-Life changed the way Ego-Shooters were designed. This game's world felt like a real place and not just like a maze to hide keycards and power-ups from the player.

Edited by BrightBow

Baldur's Gate II

PC RPGs are basically dead these days, with the PC only getting half-assed ports which had to be dumped down for the limitations of the consoles in the first place. Quite frankly, I don't see how BioWare's later games can even compare to this series. When it comes to send a D&D party with up to six dysfunctional members against the damaged resistant, poisened, charm-personing/dominating, attribute damaging, paralyzing and level-draining scum of the Forgotten Realms, unfortunately Baldur's Gate still stands without equal.

Personally I'm more of a fan of the low-level campaign of BG1 but it's hard to argue that the sequel is bigger and better and all that. I just find it hard to juggle like 6 different spellbooks with 9 spell levels each. Damn multiclassing.

I once said so but people here think I am nut for dissing DA and they dont care how good BG was because according to them, DAs are the best of the best....