Is it a Bad Thing FE6 has SO Many Units?

I just recently beat the game (legitimately, Gaidens and all) and I had SO many units on my bench it wasn't even funny. This is a topic I always wanted to discuss seeing as, my god, there are always multiple versions of a unit, and more often than not there are like 3 prepromotes of said unit. I mean come on, there are like 4 Paladins. It's... either a blessing or a terrible thing, so what do you think?

Edited by NamelessParasite

It's not Shadow Dragon levels of "HEY LOOK NEW UNITS"-age. They do still give you an awful lot, though, and a majority of them are either nothing special or just not good.

I like all the characters in FE6.

That being said, yes there are too many and some characters just outright make others not worth using in an optimal sense, its partly when when I finally get to making my remake Hack, I'm splitting the team into two parties and rebalancing them.

That being said again, the multitude of characters allows me to never be bored on replaying FE6 because I can use different people each time.

Also Draco, it actually is Shadow Dragon like considering fe6 is heavily inspired by Dark Dragon and the sword of light.

Edited by Jedi

I wish it was a bit easier or realistic to use some of the units. Many of them do definitely end up on the bench and forgotten. Although I do love the amount of calvaliers/Paladins... Too bad you can't realistically promote/use them all.

I think Draco's implying that at least they have a distinct presence (as small as it may be) and aren't just there to fill space. Look at Bord and Cord, Roshea and Vyland, Dolph and Macellan; you could replace some of them with nameless units and nobody would bat an eye.

The size of the cast isn't inherently an issue, but works in tandem with a number of issues. Specifically, the class overlap, class hierarchy, and uneven distribution of stats leave a lot of units or unit types outclassed. There's also the unstable equilibrium tied to EXP gain and stat increases, which punishes units who start behind the curve and rewards those who start ahead. Late game is generous with deployment slots, but they're often filled with a bread-and-butter set of units and you might not need all of them.

I personally think that it's a good thing. It leaves a lot of room for replayability, and more options for unique runs. I can only see it as a major problem if you're the kind of player that likes to at least use all the units for a few maps. I also really like the idea of multiple versions of a unit, because of it even the same unit could be different in another run (even if some are clearly better than others), making it feel more unique and personal.

Though I will admit that getting, often multiple, new characters for the vast majority of chapters was kind of annoying. It was hard to feel like the game was coming to a close when you're getting new units all the time, but I still think that the good outweighs the bad.

There's nothing wrong with having a lot of units so long as they're balanced properly.

FE6 generally has the two of each class rule for T1 units. Which is perfectly fine since if you differentiate the two units for each class, it makes for lots of choice.

Of course that's when one doesn't outclass the other, which is often the case for FE6.

It's also nice when you get say, multiple healers/thieves so if one or two die, you still have a unit to fill an essential role. An essential role by default should have many options (so you're not stuck using the same unit every playthrough). Having three healers is great for that.

So no.

The problem isn't in how many there are, but in everything else about them. My biggest problem on my first run was that I almost always would be preparing to recruit at least one character in any given chapter. Recruiting enemies is fine and good, but this game does it so much it started to get on my nerves, especially with a chapter like 16.

There's also the nigh-unusability of many of them. The best part of having a lot of options is being able to choose based on your own preference, but that's kind of defeated when half the choices are more like shooting yourself in the foot.

Having so many units wouldn't have been nearly as bad if most of them weren't just so hopelessly outclassed by other units.

I mean, units like Dorthy and Geese get outclassed by another unit you recruit in the same chapter.

Then there are units such as Lillina, Oujay, Wendy, Fir, Cath, and Sophia, who are just flat out worse than units of the same class gotten several chapters earlier. Ok, I guess Lillina vs. Lugh is somewhat debatable, but the rest of those aforementioned units are genuinely outclassed.

• 3 weeks later...

Having so many units wouldn't have been nearly as bad if most of them weren't just so hopelessly outclassed by other units.

I mean, units like Dorthy and Geese get outclassed by another unit you recruit in the same chapter.

Then there are units such as Lillina, Oujay, Wendy, Fir, Cath, and Sophia, who are just flat out worse than units of the same class gotten several chapters earlier. Ok, I guess Lillina vs. Lugh is somewhat debatable, but the rest of those aforementioned units are genuinely outclassed.

I always find that some ridiculous... (Specially with the characters that arrived with a inferior level, like Sophia).

What the hell they think?

Doesn't FE6 have only slightly more units than 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11?

(Also Lugh >> Lilina)

53, 42, and 46 playable units in FE6, 7, and 9 respectively (50, 40, and 43 when you factor mutually exclusive recruitment).

FE6 is pretty darn huge. Having 7 more units than FE9 in a game that has fewer classes is pretty overloaded. For that matter, 11 more units than FE7 literally allows the game to almost have basically one extra unit for every class. Not sure how else to explain this is why it feels like the game gives you way too many units for some people.

Yes, I'd argue that it is.

First of all, in terms of raw gameplay, it's somewhat neat in the sense that you can use a variety of units for different runs through the game - which you'll need to do if you want to unlock all of the Trial Map characters, or just do it because you really love the game. The problem, though, is that while there are lots of units, a lot of them aren't really that special combat-wise; they're just inferior or superior versions of another unit, and not really that unique in terms of their capabilities setting them apart so that there's an actual reason to use one over the other gameplay-wise aside from novelty.

There's also the issue with pure characterization. Sure, there are lots of characters, but a lot of the time, there's little to no reason to use one character over the other flavour-wise barring their looks. Not only do most of them get no real relevance in the story and no real characterization before their recruitment, the sheer amount of supports that they have to do to accommodate means that they more or less have to shit out a lot for quantity over quality, thus taking away from polishing a smaller amount of supports or making more supports for a lower amount of characters to flesh said character out more.

Another problem in general is that a lot of the units are shit or just poorly balanced and so it's not really worth using a shitty unit even if you like them (considering FE6 does actually pose a pretty decent challenge, especially in the beginning), and while Fire Emblem is relatively unique in its having to account for the very real possibility that units have died, it doesn't change the fact that if a unit is so shit that they're shit even at their joining time (never mind having benched them for a while due to having the other unit and then needing them, which can somewhat be compensated for via the use of the arena), it makes sense to just pour the exp into the decent units you have left instead of trying to baby units that won't pull their weight for most of the game or even ever, and thus turn into a liability rather than an asset just to fill a deployment slot.

tl;dr what a good amount of people said, it robs units of their individuality in both a gameplay and flavour sense, and many are so shit or outclassed that they're not even worth it anyway unless you really like them.

Edited by Sandora

Personally I like having a lot of characters and I feel it's one of FE6's strong points. True, it may not have the best balance in the series, and there are way too many Est-type characters, but FE6 isn't THAT hard a game anyway. I also like having the characters fleshed out largely through supports (you don't have to hear them blabber on about their life story unless you want to), and there's only a few dud characters if you ask me (Cecilia, Ogier, Wendy).

It also makes a reckless iron man run somewhat feasible.

Edited by gringe

I think having lots and lots of characters is a bad thing, because some characters aren't even worth playing. You have, like, four or five cavaliers available (Alan, Lance, Noah, Treck, I'm forgetting someone else iirc), three prepromoted Paladins (Marcus, Zealot, Percival) without counting the promoted Paladins, six mages (Lugh, Raigh, Lilina, Hugh's grandson what'shisname, Sophia and I think I'm missing someone else), five fliers (Miledy, Thany, Tate, Yuno, Zeiss (?))... Some characters are just dispensable because there are other, better characters that fit their place.

I prefer quality to quantity. Most of FE6's cast simply doesn't matter.

This post perfectly describles it.

Edited by Rapier

I'd say yes, largely because most of the cast might as well not even matter due to being outclassed or shit. I mean, even if FE tries to account for unit death, that's kinda hard to do when most of the cast is nigh unusable. And that only sucks the fun out of the game imo.

I'd say yes, largely because most of the cast might as well not even matter due to being outclassed or shit. I mean, even if FE tries to account for unit death, that's kinda hard to do when most of the cast is nigh unusable. And that only sucks the fun out of the game imo.

I'd say the only 2 characters in FE6 being nigh unusable are Sophia and Wendy and thats just on HM. (Still a bitch to use on NM but a lot easier lol)

Everyone is perfectly usable in NM, most are on HM, there are just some power fluctuations like every FE in existance, I just find it more fun to be able to play through the game many times with an entirely different team each time. Plus I find a number of them interesting, such as Geese which we find out in supports with Douglas is how Elphin got to the Isles etc.

Edited by Jedi

I'd say the only 2 characters in FE6 being nigh unusable are Sophia and Wendy and thats just on HM. (Still a bitch to use on NM but a lot easier lol)

Everyone is perfectly usable in NM, most are on HM, there are just some power fluctuations like every FE in existance, I just find it more fun to be able to play through the game many times with an entirely different team each time. Plus I find a number of them interesting, such as Geese which we find out in supports with Douglas is how Elphin got to the Isles etc.

The thing is, when it comes to units, I prefer quality over quantity. I mean, sure, while there may not be that many units that are outright unusable, there ARE a lot that are either just plain bad or outclassed, the result being most units just not mattering in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Levant Caprice

The thing is, when it comes to units, I prefer quality over quantity. I mean, sure, while there may not be that many units that are outright unusable, there ARE a lot that are either just plain bad or outclassed, the result being most units just not mattering in the grand scheme of things.

You act like FE6 is the only FE that does this.

You act like FE6 is the only FE that does this.

I know it ain't. Either way, for a FE that has more units than most other FEs, I'd have expected better unit quality... Hell, I think FE6 is the most unbalanced FE game (well, leaving FE4 aside for obvious reasons).

Edited by Levant Caprice