Custom movesets: share them here!

Roflolxp54

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an Ike main.

Tempest - Neutral B
I hate how long it takes to charge Eruption. I like the fact that this pushes too. Another thing I do when I'm falling from the upper right portion of the stage is charge up Tempest - it suspends me in the air for a few seconds - and chain into Aether Drive, described below.

Aether Drive - Up B
I dunno. I guess I prefer the slant of it to normal Aether. Easier to chain with Tempest when recovering.

Close Combat - Side B
I hate when Ike stops when you hit someone with Side B. It doesn't do as much damage but that's fine. Works better when recovering too, your opponents can't use the stopping to sabotage you.

Smash Counter - Down B
Devestatingly powerful, especially with one of my customs. The delay doesn't bother me at all and is arguably better.

Edited by Dracocoa

I tend to use the EVO sets. Personal favorites.

Sonic

I use the double spring for certain match ups, as it gives me more annoyance options to throw, its basically a downward projectile at that point, Hammer Spin Dash and Burning Spin Dash I tend to change around due to variance and due to some PKL suggestion.

Ike

Basically what Draco has except I use regular Aether and Paralyzing counter instead.

Peach

Sleepy Toad, that's all.

Kirby

I use rising cutter for awesome combo ending, and the quicker hammer custom, as well as leaping suck up.

Mario

Fiery Uppercut for its combo and KO potential, Breezy cape for more verstility, Fast Fireballs for Fox laser style pecking. Any other Fludd move because both are better than original fludd.

Megaman

Shadow Blades for boomerang style shenanigans, also if the second part hits, you can get a grab off.

Danger Wrap for KO potential and anti-air

Tornado Hold for damage and combos

Plant Barrier for easy grabs.

I have others but these are the main ones I like.

I have four different custom Ikes, though two are just for fun while the other two are more optimized for competitive play. I really only use the second optimized Ike these days though, because the one difference between it and the first optimized Ike is the Aether. I have Aether Drive on Op Ike 1 and Aether Wave on Op Ike 2. I know Aether Drive gives Ike better recovery, but I just couldn't use it right. I tried, but it just feels too different. Aether Wave is faster anyway and gives Ike a projectile.

So my main custom Ike, Op Ike 2, has: Furious Eruption, Aether Wave, Close Combat, and Paralyzing Counter.

I don't have any custom Luigis yet though. I'd like to make one, but I never unlocked all his special moves in either version of the game. I just couldn't find them for some reason. :/ I really do dislike the randomness of unlocking customs...

Edited by Anacybele

For Ike I'm fond of Tempest and Paralyzing Counter. I switch between Close Combat with reg. Aether and Unyielding Blade with Aether Drive.

I can't think of any other characters I have specific custom sets for atm.

EDIT: Oh wait Ganon

Warlock Blade, reg. Flame Choke, Dark Fists, Dropkick

Edited by SecondWorld

I like Link's Whirling Leap, but otherwise I go default. Shulk has his hyper arts and Robin gets the diagonal Elwind and Thoron+. I tend to only swap a few moves out!

Pikachu: 1311 always. Heavy Skull Bash is the only thing I change because its a strict upgrade of regular skull bash and getting a read with that can kill really early. Thunder Jolt is too important for pikachu's neutral game to change it for thunder wave. Thunder wave gives you a free upsmash or whatever if you land it but its not worth it.

Marth: 3123 That's Dashing Assault, Dancing Blade, Crescent Slash and Iai Counter. Dashing Assault for a mid range tool that eats rolls, spotdodges and attacks very well. Dancing Blade default because the customs for it are awful. Crescent Slash for making his grab more threatening. Normally you only take 4% from a Marth grab and positional advantage so people dont feel that uncomfortable in shield vs marth but this makes every grab deal around 14-16% damage each and can even kill. Makes his recovery a bit more awkward but it's worth it for the followups. Counters arent used too much in high level play but Iai Counter's power and better defensive knockback (throws them back offstage if youre using it defensively) makes it my preferred choice out of the 3 counters.

Luigi: 1211 and 1311. I only change the side bs for the better recovery, 2 (floating missile) charges faster so I tend to go for that. But I've used side b 3 in Smashville to go below the stage and to the other side vs floaty characters that like trying to gimp Luigi like Peach.

Toon Link: 2131 and 2113 with the occasional 3131. I use Fire Arrows in most matchups. Their lasting hitbox on the ground serves as a sort of shield vs approaches and that hitbox can lead to combos too. Putting a fire arrow by the ledge also doesnt let the opponent do the best getup option so its pretty nice for pressuring on the ledge and limiting their options. Default boomerang is the best for controlling space and followups. Up3 Flying Spin Attack is a strict upgrade from regular spin attack, having better recovery distance, a better ledgesweetspot and even super armor during the rising slash portion. I use Regular Bombs the most because of the amount of followups they can get me and because theyre amazing in general. In some matchups I switch the upb to Default Spin Attack and use the Short fuse bombs because I need the almost infinite recovery they give me. Default Spin attack is the best upb when using Short fuse as Flying Spin attack has super armor at the end, making it risky if you want to blow yourself up to recover. I use 3131 when faced vs fellow campers like Megaman and Duck Hunt. The Piercing Arrows are very useful vs Duck Hunt's can and Megaman's Pellets.

Edited by PJSalt

Pikachu: 1311 always. Heavy Skull Bash is the only thing I change because its a strict upgrade of regular skull bash and getting a read with that can kill really early. Thunder Jolt is too important for pikachu's neutral game to change it for thunder wave. Thunder wave gives you a free upsmash or whatever if you land it but its not worth it.

Marth: 3123 That's Dashing Assault, Dancing Blade, Crescent Slash and Iai Counter. Dashing Assault for a mid range tool that eats rolls, spotdodges and attacks very well. Dancing Blade default because the customs for it are awful. Crescent Slash for making his grab more threatening. Normally you only take 4% from a Marth grab and positional advantage so people dont feel that uncomfortable in shield vs marth but this makes every grab deal around 14-16% damage each and can even kill. Makes his recovery a bit more awkward but it's worth it for the followups. Counters arent used too much in high level play but Iai Counter's power and better defensive knockback (throws them back offstage if youre using it defensively) makes it my preferred choice out of the 3 counters.

Luigi: 1211 and 1311. I only change the side bs for the better recovery, 2 (floating missile) charges faster so I tend to go for that. But I've used side b 3 in Smashville to go below the stage and to the other side vs floaty characters that like trying to gimp Luigi like Peach.

Toon Link: 2131 and 2113 with the occasional 3131. I use Fire Arrows in most matchups. Their lasting hitbox on the ground serves as a sort of shield vs approaches and that hitbox can lead to combos too. Putting a fire arrow by the ledge also doesnt let the opponent do the best getup option so its pretty nice for pressuring on the ledge and limiting their options. Default boomerang is the best for controlling space and followups. Up3 Flying Spin Attack is a strict upgrade from regular spin attack, having better recovery distance, a better ledgesweetspot and even super armor during the rising slash portion. I use Regular Bombs the most because of the amount of followups they can get me and because theyre amazing in general. In some matchups I switch the upb to Default Spin Attack and use the Short fuse bombs because I need the almost infinite recovery they give me. Default Spin attack is the best upb when using Short fuse as Flying Spin attack has super armor at the end, making it risky if you want to blow yourself up to recover. I use 3131 when faced vs fellow campers like Megaman and Duck Hunt. The Piercing Arrows are very useful vs Duck Hunt's can and Megaman's Pellets.

I was messing around with Tinks specials and I quite like how the fire arrows can work. It reminds me of arc fire in use even.

Ike Main

Furious Eruption: Bigger hitbox and makes edge guarding ability even better with better damage as well. Don't really care about the added damage because you aint gonna have time to fully charge it anyways.

Aether Wave: Gives Ike something of a projectile and helps distance people.

Close Combat: Alot like Fox illusion and unlike his standard side b can't be stopped in midair as it goes through people

Counter (standard): Just left this the same didn't want it to get slower than it already is and still wanted it to do damage on impact

Marth/Lucina:

Shield Breaker: I like this move as is so left it the same

Crescent Slash: Gives much needed diagnal/horizontal recovery to the move

Heavy blade: Harder to pull of the timing but gives more damage particularly important for Lucina

Counter: Pretty satisfied with the standard counter so I left it.

I secondary Ike and it's ridiculous how Fox and Falco, two characters with already good recovery, get to side-b out of up-b but Ike doesn't.

Anyway, I use Furious Eruption, (Tempest in casual matches) Aether Drive, (cause why wouldn't you want better recovery) Close Combat, (see previous point) and regular counter. I think Ike's counter should be buffed though. I find it harder to hit than Marth's/Lucina's, and it would make more sense for Ike's meatier sword to deliver a better blow.

Edited by Kirchu

Interesting thing with Ike's regular Side B, if you swing at someone with Quick Draw, you can actually aether a split second before you go into freefall, the usefulness of this knowledge is very limited however.

Probably would be useful if Ike had any horizontal momentum when using Aether.

He does with Aether Drive! Although I don't like Drive too much personally.

Oh I love it. It makes regular Aether looks like trash. Another Ike pet peeve is how he can't reverse ledge grab with Aether. Although his edgeguard game might become too stylish if it did.

Oh I love it. It makes regular Aether looks like trash. Another Ike pet peeve is how he can't reverse ledge grab with Aether. Although his edgeguard game might become too stylish if it did.

Drive gets one stuck under the ledge too easily and doesn't allow the easy combos regular Aether does however.

While Luigi's recovery distance is nice, he's considered to have a bad or mediocre recovery anyway because of the lag of side b and the linearity with which he recovers.

First of all: I refuse to use Mewtwo's custom moves; I'm all for using hilarious imbalanced customs, but these are literally gamebreaking.

Sheik: Waffling between 1211 and 2211

Needle Storm (1)'s needles have better range and damage output, Penetrating Needles (2) charge waaay faster and do significant shield damage.

Gravity Grenade (2) is more fun in general. On the off-chance you do land it, it combos nicely (looking at you, tippered usmash). Also there's nothing more hilarious than stagespiking a recovering opponent with it. Skimming Grenade is probably not terrible relative to the other grenades, but it's still boring.

Vanish (1) is both faster and greater distance than Abyss (the jump at the beginning helps a lot), and Gale is boring.

Bouncing Fish (1) is an amazing utility move and combo finisher / kill move. Pisces and Jellyfish iirc kill much earlier since the nerf bat missed them, but they're not nearly as useful imo.

Link: 1211

Regular Bow (1), since I'm too lazy to use power bow intelligently; quickfire bow is lame.

Oldstyle Boomerang (2) combos better and has a lasting hitbox, while retaining range. Gale is ok for windbox combos but I'd generally rather hit an opponent with a hitbox than a windbox. Also I suck at galeguarding. Ripping 'rang is too slow and too short-ranged.

Spin Attack (1) is okay recovery and is also a kill option, which Link needs more than ever since his jab got rekt. Shocking / Whirling sacrifice too much recovery / offense.

Regular Bombs (1) are nice for combos and bombjumps; meteor bombs have their applications but bomb jumps are important, and meteor bombs have a kind of short fuse. Giant is awkward.

[spoiler=Secondaries (Ganon, Fox, Lucimarth, Tink)]Lucimarth: Literally PKL's set (3123), for basically the same reasons.

Tink: See above (although generally I'll just stick with 2131).

Ganondorf: 2121, although 2122 is probably better.

Warlock Blade (2) is simply fun; Flame Choke (1) is a nice command grabs on reads, and there are few things more fun than a string of Flame Chokes. Dark Fists (2) are so good; it has super armor and really good recovery height, and its second hit is very strong (first hit combos into second). The super armor also allows you to tank hits and punish with a kill move, so. (Dark Dive was a shitty command grab anyways.) I like Wizard's Foot (1) for punishing people who are too greedy trying to kill Ganon from below (and the spike is fun if you can get it off), but Wizard's Dropkick (2) has really good horizontal recovery distance, and opens up completely new avenues to extend/chase opponents. For the record it is not an approach.

Fox: 2331, occasionally 2332. Impact Blaster (2) has a hitbox, which is nice. Wolf Flash (3) is fun, and you can string one off of dthrow, also imo it's not as awkward a recovery as is often claimed. Twisting Fox (3) is faster than normal, and kills kind of stupid early on reads (airdodges, rolls, etc.), and the distance lost isn't significant. Reflector I'll generally go with normal (1), although Big Reflector (2)'s windbox can be funny. Amplifying is too laggy.

Crescent Slash: Gives much needed diagnal/horizontal recovery to the move

I would argue that dolphin slash is generally better for recovery, since it enables more offstage play (since people often like to recover low, or at least low-ish).

But I use crescent slash in spite of that, for the reasons PKL already laid out.

(fthrow -> crescent slash is guaranteed at many %s - sometimes even kill%! - vs basically the entire cast; on shorter characters, grab-release -> crescent slash is guaranteed approximately forever. and crescent slash kills.)

The primary set I want to practice with is Rosalina & Luma 2311. Shooting Star Bit is pretty obvious, Luma Warp is fast and can easily catch an opponent off guard for damage or even a kill. I've seen some people use Guardian Luma, but even against opponents without projectiles, I just can't see myself using that.

Another set is R.O.B. 1233. Reflector Arm, because reflecting is really the only thing side b is ever good for. Fast-burning fuel for quicker, less punishable recovery that still gains a lot of distance, as well as easier chasing of opponents off the top. And Slip Gyro for tripping opponents, though default gyro is always a solid option.

Then Wii Fit Trainer 2321. Enriched Sun Salutation for a powerful shot that charges pretty fast, though default can still be good for speed and size when fully charged and still having kill power, though not as much. And 1% healing. But in most cases I think I'll prefer the power. Weighted Header for edge guards and safer returns to the stage, and more power and practicality in general. Jumbo Hoops for racking up damage early.

Those are the characters I use that I feel get the most out of customs (for me, at least), but I also use:

Marth with Crescent Slash and sometimes Iai Counter.

Robin with Thunder+ and sometimes Distant Nosferatu.

Ike with Close Combat and Smash Counter. I can see the value in Aether Drive, but I've found it hard to run off fair and make it back with that, so I'm not so sure.

Lucina with Iai Counter.

Zelda with Phantom Breaker and sometimes Din's Flare.

Peach with slow turnips.

Samus with many possible combinations. Samus is interesting in that only, like, 2 of her 12 specials don't seem very good at all (Melee Charge Shot and default Missile), with the rest being about even, and even Melee Charge Shot is useful in specific match-ups (Rosalina/Olimar). I'm having a difficult time deciding on a set up for her.

Jigglypuff with Pound Blitz.

And then Zero Suit Samus is the one I prefer totally default.

While Luigi's recovery distance is nice, he's considered to have a bad or mediocre recovery anyway because of the lag of side b and the linearity with which he recovers.

Lolwut? Luigi has three different recovery moves, two of which give him vertical recovery and the third being able to misfire him into a large horizontal distance AND he can up B after side B. It might not be the best recovery in the game, but it's definitely not mediocre or bad. Trust me, I'm a long time Luigi mainer.

First of all: I refuse to use Mewtwo's custom moves; I'm all for using hilarious imbalanced customs, but these are literally gamebreaking.

Ver. 1.0.7 should have fixed the custom moves glitch on Mewtwo if I remember correctly.

Lolwut? Luigi has three different recovery moves, two of which give him vertical recovery and the third being able to misfire him into a large horizontal distance AND he can up B after side B. It might not be the best recovery in the game, but it's definitely not mediocre or bad. Trust me, I'm a long time Luigi mainer.

I mean

not only does PKL play (main?) Luigi, but he is highly ranked in tourneys

ɿ(。・ɜ・)ɾ

Ver. 1.0.7 should have fixed the custom moves glitch on Mewtwo if I remember correctly.

I'm glad I didn't have a chance to get used to them, then :V