Interview with IS developers (by 4Gamer)

Ryo

http://www.4gamer.net/games/287/G028791/20150427113/

Just saw this while searching around, and I guess I should post it here. There're also a lot of talking about FE:if on the 3rd page it seems, though I don't know if there are any new information. Can't translate any of those though XD

EDIT: Bit of admin abuse

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The third page discusses IF, and here are the some of the highlights (Google translate so take with a grain of salt)

• The developers wanted to make a game which took the Arran/Samson choice from FE1 to its extreme
  • Nohr version has more mission types (defend, break through the enemy, etc)
  • The two versions share about 1/6 of the story, the remaining 5/6 plays out differently depending on the version
  • If you download the alternate route you can use a save copy at chapter 5 and choose the other route without replaying the opening chapters
  • The third route has a difficulty level midway between Hoshido and Nohr

• The developers wanted to make a game which took the Arran/Samson choice from FE1 to its extreme

I hope this doesn't mean that choosing a village at random will butterfly effect the crap out of the game.

• The two versions share about 1/6 of the story, the remaining 5/6 plays out differently depending on the version
  • If you download the alternate route you can use a save copy at chapter 5 and choose the other route without replaying the opening chapters

So... does this mean that there will be 25 chapters of story for each side?

The third page discusses IF, and here are the some of the highlights (Google translate so take with a grain of salt)

• Nohr version has more mission types (defend, break through the enemy, etc)
  • The third route has a difficulty level midway between Hoshido and Nohr

break through the enemy sounds like so much fun, tbh. i can't wait for that!

I just ran the listed mission types through the dictionary, and aside from the infamous "defeat commander" and "rout enemies", the objectives in the Nohr version include (but probably not limited to):

- 制圧: gaining total control (of people or counties); suppression; oppression; control; mastery; ascendancy; supremacy ------> Seize?

- 突破: breaking through; breakthrough; penetration

- 拠点防衛:

拠点 = position; location; base; point

防衛 = defense; defence; protection

-----> Defense?

- ターン制限マップ:

ターン = turn

制限 = restriction; restraint; limitation; limit

マップ = map

-----> Defeat/do something in X turns?

Edited by Ryo

People, "break through" is probably just rout.

Actually, rout is 敵全滅 (lit. enemy's total destruction) which was also mentioned (alongside "defeat commander" 敵将軍撃破) but I didn't include them in my post above.

クリア条件も,敵将軍撃破や敵全滅はもちろんですが,制圧,突破,拠点防衛やターン制限マップ等多彩です。

Edited by Ryo

Actually, rout is 敵全滅 (lit. enemy's total destruction) which was also mentioned (alongside "defeat commander" 敵将軍撃破) but I didn't include them in my post above.

I saw your above post but somehow missed the part where you mentioned those. Oops.

So it's actually listed as a separate objective, then? Interesting. I have to wonder what it could possibly mean, though. What's going to differentiate it from rout or seize?

According to a 4chan user, part of the interview reveals that:

"Some characters might only be on one side or the other, and not even exist if you play the other side."

Dunno if that's a 100% reliable translation but it would confirm speculation.

Edited by Rekt no Ken

Man, it would kinda suck if reasonably good character design and men in ponytails is the only thing Hoshido got over Nohr. I hope there's something more equalizing in terms of content quality that just hasn't been said yet.

Some of this will just be reiterating what was said before, but:

• Hoshido has a world map.
  • Nohr has more complex maps. Besides the usual "defeat all of the enemies"/"defeat the general" maps, there will also be suppression, breakthroughs, defending bases, turn restrictions, amongst others. There are lots of map gimmicks. (We've already seen dragon's vein.)
  • Both versions of the game contain the same characters. You'll be shown different aspects of their personalities in accordance to the route you select.
  • The downloadable version does not contain both sides. It does not lock the other route when you select one. You pay to receive everything up until chapter five, and once you make a decision, you will have to download everything from chapters six, onward, for the respectful route. The second download is free because you have already paid. If you want to try the alternative version, you have to buy DLC in the same way those with physical copies will.
  • You can also save directly to your 3DS system (versus the cartridge).
  • If you decide to buy the DLC, you can load your chapter 5 data and continue from that instead of starting from the beginning. Of course, you can restart if you'd like to.
  • You'll be able to experience an entire story by only playing one route. The other is a completely different story.
  • The third path is in the middle of Hoshido and Nohr in terms of difficulty. People who began with Hoshido should still be able to complete the third path.
  • You'll be able to lower the difficulty in the middle of the game if you find Nohr too hard.
  • You'll still be able to connect with people who play the alternative version. (Probably means you can streetpass someone with Nohr despite playing Hoshido, and vice versa.) There will be various perks for connecting with other players.

I hope the third path has some neat surprises, because my deep-down fangirl desire is for it harder than both routes. Looks like it's the middle difficulty, which makes me a bit sad. Also, I'll be cross if Hoshido is nothing but Awakening objectives - share the love!

Edited by eclipse

Interesting stuff, thank you.

I'm a bit confused as to how the eshop version works; we'll pay once, play through the five first chapters, download the route we want for free since we've already paid, play through that side of the story and then we can buy the second part as DLC? Sounds cumbersome, can't you just buy both versions at once?

Everything sounds pretty awesome, but I'm sad considering I like Hoshido a lot more design wise, yet Nohr gets all the cool features. Hopefully there will be some more balance.

also the third route being middle in difficulty sounds very sketchy, I was thinking it would be the ultimate difficult route, the insane choice with the most drawbacks.

#Nohrmasterrace

I never assumed the third route was meant to be the most difficult. In fact, it being in the middle difficulty-wise goes more in line with what I expected: a "middle-of-the-road" option with pieces of both sides and hopefully the most interesting story.

• You'll be able to lower the difficulty in the middle of the game if you find Nohr too hard.
They're really trying to play Nohr up, lol.

Each version of the new FE is only as long as Awakening is?

Welp, so much for the hopes of a good, not rushed story. Awakening was just too short.

Also disappointed that only Nohr will have more unique chapter objectives. I don't plan to play this route at all (not just because of Camilla either).

Edited by Anacybele