Interview with IS developers (by 4Gamer)

Ryo

And again: I feel like once you finish Nohr, that's it. Since there's nothing to do grind-wise, or what we assume will be skirmish-wise, you beat the game, that's it. I feel like all the hard work up to that point is for nothing: I can't tell you how many times I've done random arisen encounters on Awakening, even though I've already beat Grima: it's still entertaining. Which, I think is why I'll be rooting for Hosido: It's looking like it's hinted this sorta thing will be with that version.

Beating the game is the payoff. The concept of postgame is fairly new, not sure exactly when it started but all games used to "just" end. IMO FE already has enough replay value that postgame isn't really needed.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hyped for the game and all and its good to see more info.

Although the more I see does anyone think that maybe they are trying to do a bit much? I mean don't get me wrong options are great and all but with Awakening things were simple. One world map with DLC accessible at any time and you chose the difficulty from the begining. With this there's multiple pathes with not only differing story (which is awesome) but almost completely different mechanics.

A place I could see this potentially being a problem is with streetpass teams how do you go against a team that has been grinded to hell and back with DLC skills with one (on the Nohr path) that hasn't.

Plus this whole buy one download the other path for the full experience is kinda irking me a bit. I've already resolved to buy physical versions of each game and download the third path later on but a part of me really is hoping that in the west they just release it as one cartridge with a special edition including the third path DLC and maybe some limited stuff.

Edited by LordTaco42

Interesting. I really wonder what reason anyone would have to play the Hoshide route though.. unless they wanted to save the best for last.

I mean, they basicly said that the Nohr path will have more diverse objectives and tougher challenges... that puts the other path in Nohr's shadow, doesn't it?

Also, as much as I love having a complete army at the end of the game, I'm cool with them implementing much replayability with that choice system they're creating. Reminds me of FE7.. just gotta know how to recruit as many Stalwart Heroes as possible, heh.

Beating the game is the payoff. The concept of postgame is fairly new, not sure exactly when it started but all games used to "just" end. IMO FE already has enough replay value that postgame isn't really needed.

Heh. Games used to make you replay the last mission over and over after beating the game. They didn't even acknowledge you had beaten the game. Infinite loop of fighting the last boss until you decided to start over. Perfectly acceptable behavior back in the day, but now it's basically a crime against God.

I understand that, but I meant something more towards a choice.

Such as, despite which side you're on, you're asked which character you wish to recruit. THEN I would find conflict with gaining every character.

I plan on, eventually, having both versions of the game. Therefor, in a sense, having all characters. But if given the choice in choosing between two different characters, despite your path, yes, I could choose to recruit one on one side and one on the other, I'd still feel like, "Hrmm... But I want him/her, too!"

And again: I feel like once you finish Nohr, that's it. Since there's nothing to do grind-wise, or what we assume will be skirmish-wise, you beat the game, that's it. I feel like all the hard work up to that point is for nothing: I can't tell you how many times I've done random arisen encounters on Awakening, even though I've already beat Grima: it's still entertaining. Which, I think is why I'll be rooting for Hosido: It's looking like it's hinted this sorta thing will be with that version.

Who said there won't be anything after finishing the game? I would be willing to bet quite a considerable sum that post game Nohr will get a world map. Hell, you may even have a world map from the get go, just not have freedom with the map. But I'm 100% certain they want replayability, so there's no doubt in my mind they will have lots of things to do post game on both sides.

Interesting. I really wonder what reason anyone would have to play the Hoshide route though.. unless they wanted to save the best for last.

I mean, they basicly said that the Nohr path will have more diverse objectives and tougher challenges... that puts the other path in Nohr's shadow, doesn't it?

Also, as much as I love having a complete army at the end of the game, I'm cool with them implementing much replayability with that choice system they're creating. Reminds me of FE7.. just gotta know how to recruit as many Stalwart Heroes as possible, heh.

Both games have different stories and units though. Maybe somebody prefers the story/characters on the Hoshido side more than Nohr's gameplay?

Who said there won't be anything after finishing the game? I would be willing to bet quite a considerable sum that post game Nohr will get a world map.

I... Haven't thought of this. I actually like this idea.

Cheers to you, sir!

Although the more I see does anyone think that maybe they are trying to do a bit much? I mean don't get me wrong options are great and all but with Awakening things were simple. One world map with DLC accessible at any time and you chose the difficulty from the begining. With this there's multiple pathes with not only differing story (which is awesome) but almost completely different mechanics.

Well, to quote them, they "had plenty of time after Awakening to work on such a large-scale project as this". So hopefully it won't affect the overall quality of both games.

A place I could see this potentially being a problem is with streetpass teams how do you go against a team that has been grinded to hell and back with DLC skills with one (on the Nohr path) that hasn't.

If there are DLC/DLC skills then I think Nohr players should have access to them too. Tbh I think most people would just abuse DLC to grind anyway, should their goal is to build an "ultimate" Streetpass team, regardless of which route they play. It's just similar to the situation in Awakening where people playing lower difficulties would have much more freedom to grind, whereas in higher difficulties it becomes nigh-impossible to do so without DLC.

Finally, new information (T_T)

Some people enjoy grinding and simpler gameplay. I believe Hoshido preorders sold out faster than Nohr's, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks a lot for your hard work, VincentASM -and anybody who helped relay the information in some way-, going to read it right now:)

Edited by Cysx

Jeez, the more information they reveal, the more Nohr shits on Hoshido.

Better maps, better story, better difficulty? It's like they don't care about the Hoshido version at all.

It's one thing to advertise one version being harder but when you say one version is an all around better game, then you have a problem.

I'm getting both games (and the DLC), but I think I'll start with Hoshido first since it's easier.

Right now, I think the devs are trying to find reasons to make people buy Nohr, because previously Hoshido kind of had the upper hand with the world map grinding. I'm pretty sure there are other perks to playing Hoshido that they haven't got to yet.

If we can make the game easier for Nohr mid game, can we also make it harder for glutton for punishments like Me? :)

I hope so, although we don't have enough info to go off right now.

Would be nice if you could up Hoshido and the third route's difficulty too.

I'm getting both games (and the DLC), but I think I'll start with Hoshido first since it's easier.

Right now, I think the devs are trying to find reasons to make people buy Nohr, because previously Hoshido kind of had the upper hand with the world map grinding. I'm pretty sure there are other perks to playing Hoshido that they haven't got to yet.

Just looking at the polls on SF, Nohr had TWICE as many fans as Hoshido did. And now on top of that, Nohr is confirmed to have more diversified victory conditions and a way to lower the difficulty. I think Hoshido needs positive attention a lot more than Nohr.

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm curious how they'll handle the difficulty system for all 3 routes, will they all have the same scale but the actual difficulty varies between each corresponding level (i.e Nohr Normal is harder than Hoshido Normal, and so on), or something completely different?

Just looking at the polls on SF, Nohr had TWICE as many fans as Hoshido did. And now on top of that, Nohr is confirmed to have more diversified victory conditions and a way to lower the difficulty. I think Hoshido needs positive attention a lot more than Nohr.

Aha, I see. Thanks for pointing that out.

Then again, I'm assuming most of us on SF are hardcore FE fans, so us favouring Nohr isn't completely unexpected ^^

You know, with how much they have Hoshido resembling Awakening, and Nohr paralleling older FE games, I can't help but wonder if this is an experiment by IS to determine the direction they want to take the series from here. Do they go with the style of Awakening, or the older FE games? That's the feeling I get from this game so far.

You know, with how much they have Hoshido resembling Awakening, and Nohr paralleling older FE games, I can't help but wonder if this is an experiment by IS to determine the direction they want to take the series from here. Do they go with the style of Awakening, or the older FE games? That's the feeling I get from this game so far.

Wouldn't mind that, I'm all for the classic FE though! :)

They can make up for Hoshido lacking the varied mission objectives by having creative map designs, but since it's supposed to be the easier game I'm not optimistic about that.