Interview with IS developers (by 4Gamer)

Ryo

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the polls on SF, Nohr had TWICE as many fans as Hoshido did. And now on top of that, Nohr is confirmed to have more diversified victory conditions and a way to lower the difficulty. I think Hoshido needs positive attention a lot more than Nohr.

That is irrelevant.

Awakening is huge in the West, far larger than any other Fire Emblem game thus Hoshido will naturally be far more appealing to most NA FE fans as it's most like Awakening and a more straight forward story. Hence why they have to push Nohr hard compared to Hoshido as they know Hoshido is going to sell well.

Only the hardcores seem to really want Nohr more because it reminds them of the old games.

Edited by Pretty_Handsome

I wish I wanted to choose Nohr due to more diverse objectives and all. But between it having the stupidity that is Camilla and Hoshido having the awesomeness that is Ryouma and overall better character designs... Yeah, I have to go with Hoshido and ignore Nohr. ...Or should I say ig-Nohr?

Seriously, why couldn't both have diverse objectives and such?

Edited by Anacybele

I wish I wanted to choose Nohr due to more diverse objectives and all. But between it having the stupidity that is Camilla and Hoshido having the awesomeness that is Ryouma and overall better character designs... Yeah, I have to go with Hoshido and ignore Nohr. ...Or should I say ig-Nohr?

Well, they never said Hoshido wouldn't have some.

Though the ability to grind naturally will make those things easier anyway.

Because they want to keep Hoshido simple like Awakening, I guess. I really am curios on how the 3rd path goes, though...

Probably a mixture considering the middle of the road difficulty.

Because they want to keep Hoshido simple like Awakening, I guess. I really am curios on how the 3rd path goes, though...

The third path could have the objective variety of Nohr but with a world map where you can grind.

Probably cause they wanted to differentiate the games and not alienate people who got into the series with awakening and to give older players an a gameplay experience more reminiscent of older games, also i don't think they honestly expect people to boycott Nohr over one character design.

Do you mean Bring back fe 5 escape maps or You wont care if they have escape maps or not, or bring back fe 5 escape maps or you wont care about the entire game. I assume its the former but I'm never quite sure with this forum.

people to boycott Nohr over one character design.

Camilla isn't the only design in Nohr that I don't like. I'm pretty meh about just about all of them, honestly. Except for the pigtails girl. She's cute. And Hoshido has awesome-looking characters. And as I said, Ryouma is looking to be this game's Ike/Frederick/Sain/Ephraim for me. :P That is to say, the character I favor the most and obsess over.

^ okay i respect the fact that you like the revealed Hoshido designs more, but how do i put this? i don't fault the designers for designing nohr's gameplay with more older fire emblem features nor do i fault them for probably having less of them in Hoshido, i also don't think having to deal with less difficulty is a big problem as i believe you should choose the path you will most enjoy and if you like the characters on Hoshido go Hoshido, same case with Nohr, however if you care about the game play enough to think it ruins the experience of playing with your favourite characters go Nohr, and find the story and supports of ryomuma ect online, or buy both.

Camilla isn't the only design in Nohr that I don't like. I'm pretty meh about just about all of them, honestly. Except for the pigtails girl. She's cute. And Hoshido has awesome-looking characters.

This. The black and purple doesn't cut it, especially since I'm already biased towards myrmidons and swordmasters.

Like Shadow Stalker said a bit back, I am wondering if IS is using two versions as an experiment to determine the future of Fire Emblem. I can't imagine them doing this two-game system forever, so the blatant Hoshido=Awakening and Nohr=Older games makes me think they want to see if Awakening's popularity will stick, then direct the series according to sales and popularity. I still remember how Advance Wars died, and I don't want the same thing to happen to traditional FE.

I plan on getting all 3 story paths -- they're seemingly different from each other and I enjoyed Awakening so I should be able to enjoy Hoshido. I'll do also Nohr to see if I can't break the game badly due to limited funds and experience that aren't problems in Awakening's Lunatic+ Classic. Third story path is more of me not liking to take sides.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Each version of the new FE is only as long as Awakening is?

Welp, so much for the hopes of a good, not rushed story. Awakening was just too short.

Also disappointed that only Nohr will have more unique chapter objectives. I don't plan to play this route at all (not just because of Camilla either).

Awakening might have been a little rushed at parts, but it wasn't short and that definitely wasn't its main problem.

FE7 is longer, PoR is longer. Dunno about Shadow Dragon or New Mystery though. But true about the arcs thing.

Discounting Lyn's mode, which has very little to do with the main story, FE7 is actually shorter.

As stated by others, most of the games are about the same length or shorter compared to Awakening. Awakening's overall length is more than enough to tell a good, concise story.

Also if anyone was wonder Tsubaki is confirmed as a male pegusas rider.

attachicon.gif0174.jpg

Well, we already knew that.

The interview mentions that leveling supports will be quicker down the Hoshido path -- which would essentially confirm that the limit of five won't be revived, although I don't believe anyone really thought it would be. If they intend for the player to unlock a handful naturally without having to grind for them, hopefully they wrote a few more unique conversations this time around. Assuming that's the case, then Nohr would address the complaints regarding repetitive maps, while Hoshido would address those directed towards repetitive chats.

Wow, the Nohr path is really looking a lot more interesting to me than the Hoshido path. I'll definitely play every path, but from the information I'm hearing it seems that the Nohr path will be the one I will end up doing the most playthroughs of. Multiple objectives, no world map, more complex story, etc. Hoshido is looking to be outclassed here.

The interview mentions that leveling supports will be quicker down the Hoshido path -- which would essentially confirm that the limit of five won't be revived, although I don't believe anyone really thought it would be. If they intend for the player to unlock a handful naturally without having to grind for them, hopefully they wrote a few more unique conversations this time around. Assuming that's the case, then Nohr would address the complaints regarding repetitive maps, while Hoshido would address those directed towards repetitive chats.

That would create an interesting dichotomy, because while Nohr would have a better overarching plot, Hoshido would have characterization, which would mean that Hoshido would not just be completely worse story wise.

To be fair though, it was never said that Nohr's story was flat out better, but more complex, and while Xenoblade Chronicles is relatively quite complex, so is Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. (Not saying it will be nearly as bad as that... stain but still)

I'm going Nohr. The extra variation is a breath of fresh air compared to Hoshido. Overall lots of good things came from this interview. But the fact that we have to download the rest of whichever campaign we choose/ buy either hoshido or Nohr's version is a letdown.

So much for story choices affecting the outcome. :facepalm: Instead you buy the version you want

I feel like Hoshido is built under the assumption that "fans who started with Awakening" would dislike better map design and more objectives. Which is probably wrong. I don't see how anyone could dislike that, especially if you can freely change difficulty now. Unless they figure most people who buy Hoshido based on similar gameplay to Awakening will eventually also buy Nohr just to have the complete experience and will then be more likely to buy future FE games that aren't like Awakening.

I feel like Hoshido is built under the assumption that "fans who started with Awakening" would dislike better map design and more objectives. Which is probably wrong. I don't see how anyone could dislike that, especially if you can freely change difficulty now. Unless they figure most people who buy Hoshido based on similar gameplay to Awakening will eventually also buy Nohr just to have the complete experience and will then be more likely to buy future FE games that aren't like Awakening.

First more objectives=better map design? Secondly most of the mentioned objectives are simply in essence, extra lose conditions, (or in the case of sieze is just bring your lord after beating boss) they can be and are often interesting, but they like everything need to work with the map and unit placements.

Edited by goodperson707

First more objectives=better map design? Secondly most of the mentioned objectives are simply in essence, extra lose conditions, (or in the case of sieze is just bring your lord after beating boss) they can be and are often interesting, but they like everything need to work with the map and unit placements.

Of course... Any interesting objective can be screwed up really.