New Dragon Ball series announced, Dragon Ball Super!

Misses Elise-chan!

This is really exciting news to me. Although I joined in late with Dragon Ball Z Kai, it was still my first anime.

What would you like to see in the new saga of Dragon Ball? People have been speculating that the gods from the movies will be an important element in the new series.

Edited by Rabbattack

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tumblr_lpzw6mLnxj1qb064c.gif

Pretty happy with this news tbh. While i wasnt a big DBZ fan, i did watch some of it and enjoyed it. Im more excited for this in regards to my niece. Shes growing to really love anime and actiony stuff. So a new DB series is just what the doctor ordered.

DBZ Kai was way better than the original series, but hopefully it isn't shit like GT or the Buu Saga.

Either I am too comfortable with the old series' pacing, or DBZ Kai was too quick paced for me. I prefer the former, to be honest.

Hyped for this. Chances are I'll start watching it with subtitles as soon as it is released in Japan and subbed.

I had a feeling Akira's sudden re-interest in his legacy might beget a new series.

It's too big of a chunk of my childhood not to watch. :)

Edited by Crysta

Hopefully it won't just be The Goku Show Starring Goku like GT was and actually let some of the other characters have a shot at the action.

Do we know when this is taking place? Will it be between the end of Buu and the epilogue like Battle of the Gods and Revival of F, or will it be happening in the same timeframe that GT took place in?

Either I am too comfortable with the old series' pacing, or DBZ Kai was too quick paced for me. I prefer the former, to be honest.

It's not just the pacing, but the dub was significantly better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ-f06vdPN0

Some commenting: The fact that the original portion starts with "Pop goes the Weasel" should clue you in on how bad it is. The music was surprisingly fitting because it was building up to something, and it fit the fact that a 1000 year old legend was coming to fruition (which gave it a mystical vibe). But some of his groans were pretty bad, like he was lifting weights (not writhing in pain) and his scream was kind of bad when he transitioned. And yelling at Gohan was actually just terrible acting, just casually talking to Gohan which didn't fit the situation at all.

In Kai, Frieza actually manages to further trigger him and make himself seem far more chilling and sadistic ("I think the brat should go next!" in that voice, holy fuck). Then "you ruthless.. heartless.. BASTARD!", the bastard part and the way it's said taking away from the cheesiness of "ruthless and heartless" because those are generic, and he just sounds extremely angry not knowing what to do with himself. Music is a little 80s but oh well, and then saying I will... make you... SUFFER... trying to hold back his anger while it slowly takes him over... and the final scream with the extra synth is absolutely chilling. His yelling at Gohan afterwards is basically him going "Gohan, GO AWAY, I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME SO LEAVE WHILE YOU STILL CAN" because this entire time the reality is that Goku is pissed off and doesn't know what the fuck is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgL-RKRRJ5E

I don't need to say a single thing about the dub's speech right? It's corny as shit and I don't see how Frieza is terrified by that. Also, "you didn't say please!" "FINE, PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!" The fuck?

In the second one, it's very clear that Frieza's ego is getting deflated. Goku's basically saying I am that Super Saiyan that you exterminated over out of fear. And Frieza's visibly pissed and worried because it's very clear that Goku's tormenting Frieza like Frieza tormented the entire Saiyan race, reminding him constantly that I was one of those fucking monkeys. And it ends with "I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!!!" (compared to "Allied to good, nightmare to you!" in a somewhat bored race) which calls back to how he was referred to as Son Goku in the japanese... and he makes it brutally clear that he's the one that Frieza feared for so long. The fact that Goku's spouting all of those cheesy lines in the original does nothing to convey to the fact that not only is Goku more arrogant now, but Frieza's essentially fighting - and getting his ass handed over to - the exact warrior he's feared for so long.

Edited by Lord Raven

Hopefully it won't just be The Goku Show Starring Goku like GT was and actually let some of the other characters have a shot at the action.

Do we know when this is taking place? Will it be between the end of Buu and the epilogue like Battle of the Gods and Revival of F, or will it be happening in the same timeframe that GT took place in?

I heard GT is considered another universe now. I kind of hope it's more like DragonBall or the other character's actually are useful

IMO, Kai's dubbing is way better than the original. Schemmel and Sabat in particular are way more comfortable with the voices they've developed for the characters they play, and the new voice choices are overall superior. Colleen Clinkenbeard makes Gohan actually sound like a kid and Chris Ayres' Freeza just gives me chills.

If it's going to be canon, that means it will completely ignore the events within GT and will continue where it left off from the end of Dragon Ball Z.

I'm sad that Dragon Ball Kai didn't go beyond the Cell saga, though. It was a great remaster.

If it's going to be canon, that means it will completely ignore the events within GT and will continue where it left off from the end of Dragon Ball Z.

I'm sad that Dragon Ball Kai didn't go beyond the Cell saga, though. It was a great remaster.

Actually, around this time last year the Buu Saga of Kai started airing in Japan. Still waiting for it to get dubbed, though.

I'm actually pretty uninterested.

As much as I like the series, it's clear that after the Cell saga Toriyama just couldn't care about it, with executive meddling and all that. Even tho he is around for this project, I am not getting my hopes too high.

I mean, if they are gonna focus on Goku and Vegeta only and they sure as well ain't focusing on Uub, might as well just watch the dissapointing Buu saga.

Actually, around this time last year the Buu Saga of Kai started airing in Japan. Still waiting for it to get dubbed, though.

wtf, why didn't i know about this.

I'll have to find it when I get home and start the binge-watching.

I also have to find and watch this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/11359/Dragon_Ball_Kai:_Mirai_ni_Heiwa_wo!_Goku_no_Tamashii_yo_Eien_ni

Edited by Raven

As much as I like the series, it's clear that after the Cell saga Toriyama just couldn't care about it, with executive meddling and all that. Even tho he is around for this project, I am not getting my hopes too high.

I mean, if they are gonna focus on Goku and Vegeta only and they sure as well ain't focusing on Uub, might as well just watch the dissapointing Buu saga.

i'm pretty sure that Toriyama clocked out of the series after the Freeza saga. that's roughly around the time when their power became all talk.

this series sounds interesting. i haven't seen the movies yet, but from what i've heard they'e both written by toriyama? doesn't that mean gt is out of the cannon?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think Toriyama cared about the series during the Cell and Buu saga, he just hated having to make weekly deadlines so he probably got exhausted and there were plot holes because he was too busy drawing 50+ pages a month to totally plan stuff through. Weekly manga artists have like literally no free time. I have no idea if Toriyama's attached to this series but he was directly involved with making the newest two movies he might have a hand in this new one. Also yeah the Freeza movie made GT basically unable to have happened and this new show is continuing off of the Freeza movie so I guess that's that.

This is taking place in the middle of that timeskip before they meet Uub, so yeah they actually definitely won't. I hope if the series is long enough they jump ahead so we can get some of him though.

Edited by Alertcircuit