New Dragon Ball series announced, Dragon Ball Super!

Misses Elise-chan!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Alertcircuit - I'm inclined to agree, but Toriyama also sucks at sticking to a plan, which is why I found Buu Saga to be hard to watch after Ultimate Gohan. I would think Gohan had some PTSD from keeping villains alive longer than he needs to given what happened with Cell, but alas.

I heard that Super's gonna be 100 episodes - which was all of Frieza and Cell in Kai (and 6 years of Gohan's life). The manga will be based on the anime too, and not the other way around, so I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, the first episode aired a couple of days ago. It wasn't too shabby, nothing really happened but it feels more like a continuation of DBZ than GT ever did.

Hey, the first episode aired a couple of days ago. It wasn't too shabby, nothing really happened but it feels more like a continuation of DBZ than GT ever did.

Thankfully GT isn't canon :D

I wish the series was the done seasonal instead of weekly but eh. Goku yet again leaves his kid to train. Father of the year.

I swear I heard this comment on reddit lol

Thats good, also Shin don't we have a re-write of Z still to do? :P.

Are you sure old dragonball was slice of life? Old Dragonball was generally pretty action-y in style with quite a bit of comedy and quirkiness, unless you're talking about Goku and Krillin's training as slice of life. It definitely feels like Dragonball in the same way Z feels like Dragonball, but I wouldn't say that it's exactly like old Dragon Ball.

It seems more like parts of Z's filler made into a series so far. Dragonball filler was generally always about Goku fighting some bad guys or having Kami do some weird shit.

Are you sure old dragonball was slice of life? Old Dragonball was generally pretty action-y in style with quite a bit of comedy and quirkiness, unless you're talking about Goku and Krillin's training as slice of life. It definitely feels like Dragonball in the same way Z feels like Dragonball, but I wouldn't say that it's exactly like old Dragon Ball.

It seems more like parts of Z's filler made into a series so far. Dragonball filler was generally always about Goku fighting some bad guys or having Kami do some weird shit.

Old Dragon Ball was more of an adventure series.

Honestly, if this series turns out to be nothing but slice of life with Dragon Ball characters.... I will be totally okay with that.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it really that bad for the entire series? I have seen most people only post screencaps of that one episode and constantly complaining about that specific fight scene but never stills from other episodes.

Lets not act like DBZ was a bastion of good animation.

comp03.png

"Goku achieved the pinnacle of his race! ... derp"

NCu4xE4.png

This one I found especially egregious because they put the right one into Kai. What the hell!

snapshotdvd011608201006.png

Close-up of derpy face

H5SXd1B.png

Oh man

Sometimes there are deadlines and the primary animation company is not available. As it stands, that's probably what happened for episode 5, and I think in this day and age they'll just wait for a re-release (ie when there's no strict weekly deadlines) to really care about fixing it.

Edited by Lord Raven

I actually didn't realize some of the animation derps in Episode 5 until people brought it up and froze the frames. Also call me crazy but I always thought the flatter derpier faces/hair had a charm to them. Maybe that was part of it.

I got a chuckle out of that. That could be the case coupled with what LordRaven said about the deadlines. I don't remember who but a Westerner who worked over in the Japanese anime industry did say something along the lines about how the animators/artists are paid very little to nothing at all and are essentially overworked because of the weekly deadlines. Its not a new thing and has been an issue for the past 50 years but nontheless one can see how it potentially impacts the final product.

EDIT:

Heres a video on it.

Edited by LordTaco42