Just a few questions that I cannot find the answer to on google

Narius

Alright, so I recently got into hacking, been trying to hack fire emblem 7, and I ran into a few snags. I have so many tutorials and stuff on my computer that i have scanned over but they aren't helping me. Basically,

1. How do I make a WORKING weapon that at range acts like a spell. I'm doing the whole spell association nightmare module on top of the item editor module, but usually what I end up getting is the weapon doing literally nothing at range animation wise, but still killing the enemy, and it frustrates me to no end.

2. Regarding FEditor ADV and its text editor, is there any hex value for completely unused text? If not is there a way I could get it that way, because I want unused text for custom weapon names and descriptions and whatnot.

3. In almost every tutorial I have read regarding the item editor module for nightmare, it says there are a few unused weapons that I can replace, but it never mentions any and I can't find any unused in the dropdown list the module gives me, is there something I am missing? I would appreciate a list of unused weapons that I could edit for my own custom weapons, and perhaps there hex values and if they are not included in the initial list provided by a module perhaps telling me how to make it so that the module recognizes it.

Thank you for your time, I am just a noob hacker that is trying his damndest to make things work but failing on his own.

While I can't help you with 1 or 2, I do know that Sacred Stones has a crapton of FE7's weapons dummied out that can still be accessed and edited in Nightmare.

If memory serves, the Mani Katti, Forblaze, and Auroela are there.

On the dropdown list, they are found near items like the vulnerary I belive.

NOTE: Sacred Stones only for these. The Mario Kart Double Dash items work well for custom weapons in Seven and are towards the bottom of the weapon editor I belive. Six, I had to use Al's Sword and Gant's Lance

I looked at light brand and I can't figure out exactly why it works but a weapon that I would custom code to be similar wouldn't, And since I want to have 3 weapons that perform magic attacks at range in my hack, I can't just replace light brand. Not to mention I want to keep as many vanilla weapons available in my hack as possible.

ALSO I didn't even thing about this when making the thread, but does someone who understands in the item editors module how the effectiveness works, like if i wanted to make a weapon that does increased damage to shamans, druids, and dark druids how would i do that?

1. Try going into nightmare and changing the "Weapon Ability 1" to 0x41, that's what lightbrand and runesword have. Then find your weapon in the spell association editor and change the "Animation Used" to whatever animation you want it to play. Save it and try it out.

2. There could be but I am not aware of any(don't know why there would be empty ones either). I'm assuming you are doing a reskin or something so you don't want any of the original text gone so I don't have an answer for you on this one.

3. Pretty much the same as my answer above. There should be some bronze weapons starting at 0x80 that I don't recall being used(but I haven't played through the actual fe7 in a while). There are also ones like "towering bow" and "cleave bow".

ALSO: For your last question, you have to actually find the effectiveness pointer in nightmare, go into HxD, add the class ID that you want the weapon to be effective against, and make sure to end the list with 00. To make a completely new one just find some free space in your ROM, type in the class number(for example druid is 0x26, so you would put in "26"), and end it with 00. Then type that pointer into the effectiveness slot. Remember to add 8000000 when putting the pointer into nightmare. For example if you wrote the classes you want it to be effective against at DD0000, you would put 0x8DD0000 into nightmare's effectiveness slot. I would back up your ROM before you do this.

1. That is what I have been doing and it doesn't work for whatever reason. 2. Actually, I am fine with original text being gone because I am doing a full blown story hack with different on a lot of things. 3. How would i insert those hex values into the item module of nightmare, because i don't see them in the list. 4. Are you sure, because i look at things like the horsekiller lance and its effectiveness pointer seems to have no relation to the cavalry or paladin class hex values. 5. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

2. Regarding FEditor ADV and its text editor, is there any hex value for completely unused text? If not is there a way I could get it that way, because I want unused text for custom weapon names and descriptions and whatnot.

In FEditor it gives you a max index, you can increase this if you so choose. This will expand your ROM as well. Same with the portrait editor and the class animation manager.

I'll just answer this as well.

1. That is what I have been doing and it doesn't work for whatever reason. 2. Actually, I am fine with original text being gone because I am doing a full blown story hack with different on a lot of things. 3. How would i insert those hex values into the item module of nightmare, because i don't see them in the list. 4. Are you sure, because i look at things like the horsekiller lance and its effectiveness pointer seems to have no relation to the cavalry or paladin class hex values. 5. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Okay, for the bolded, coloured text, you can edit the modules in notepad/notepad++. I'm not exactly sure that it'll work if you just go change them because nightmare will be like "wtf this is not a valid value" and then won't load the module. You need to change the .txt and .nmm file so that the .nmm file triggers the .txt file that you changed (this is only if you changed the name though). I haven't messed around with custom weapons yet but this is just me helping with the module and text itself.

I've done some more testing, and I have an update. Apparently, I CAN get a custom weapon that acts as a spell at range, but only one of them, if I try to get 2 working at the same time they both don't work. Like, I programmed an iron sword to use the luce animation at range, and if i do just that, it works. However if i then go to something like the slim sword and tell it to use gespents at range, neither work after that. I haven't the faintest clue why tbh. Thank you all for your good assistance, I appreciate it.

2. There is a LOT of dialogue that you can replace if you're making a full custom hack so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just write over the old stuff, hit apply and save and then point to it in your events.

3. I'm a little confused by what you mean by "insert them into the item module". They should already be there. Just go to the item module and scroll down until you get 80.

4. I may not have been clear enough on this. This is not done in nightmare. The only thing you use nightmare for is to find where the pointer is if you want to add more to it(DO NOT CHANGE THOSE POINTERS unless you know 100% what you are doing). For new effectiveness lists you need a program like HxD that lets you edit the hex. I found someone who can answer it better than I can:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27014

shadowofchaos explains it perfectly.

5. No problem, hope I helped.

Alright, so one more question, I am probably going to suck at wording this correctly but here goes. So you know how light brand, when it does its spell animation at range, has an advantage against anyone who is using a dark magic spell? Well what if I wanted to do that with say a weapon that performed anima magic at range? Like I wanted a sword that cast fire at range and had an avantage against things like the light brand and light type spells. How would I got about doing that? Also sorry if I sucked hard at wording that. Oh yea, how do i allocate more weapon slots for like, the thing, nightmare item editor module. Like lets say I wanted to use every weapon in that list AND have custom weapons, how would i allocate more slots for that to work?

Edited by Narius