Does this games rating have you worried?

Snowy_One

Appearently this one is getting a higher rating than prior entries and it has me a bit worried. While it may be nothing than just a bit of suggestive content or violence part of what I like about Fire Emblem is that it's always been pretty mature without resorting to 'dumb' mature stuff like needless sex, gore, swearing, and the like. I'm worried that, if they try to make things too 'adult', it will end up cheapening the game. Do you have a similar worry?

Course, this could also just be dumb Snowy worrying over something that's a non-issue and just stupid as well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not particularly, ratings are there to cover the most explicit thing present. Something could be incredibly kid friendly otherwise, but an f-bomb would shoot the rating right up. I don't think a higher rating will mean we'll be left with Grand Theft Emblem.

No I am not that worried about it because Nintendo has gone for higher ratings in the past when the game does not need it, look at Twilight Princess it did not need a T rating at all but Nintendo wanted it to have a T rating to boost sales. I think that if FE:IF gets a high rating it is because Nintendo is trying to get more PR out of it and that it did not really need the high rating.

No I am not that worried about it because Nintendo has gone for higher ratings in the past when the game does not need it, look at Twilight Princess it did not need a T rating at all but Nintendo wanted it to have a T rating to boost sales. I think that if FE:IF gets a high rating it is because Nintendo is trying to get more PR out of it and that it did not really need the high rating.

Yeah, basically. Although I would like to think of it as a more mature story rather then just PR.

Honestly it doesn't worry me since it's proably just be the clothing on certain characters Camilla then anything else.

I'm not worried as anybody can find worse crap on the Internet and I'm of age at which I can purchase an AO rated game if I wanted to. What I'm more worried about is how much Nintendo of America would censor the game during localization to make it more suitable as a T-rated (recommended 13+ yrs. of age) game rather than go with possibly the first M-rated (recommended 17+ yrs. of age) Fire Emblem game since the game got rated to be recommended basically 15+ years of age.

Yeah, basically. Although I would like to think of it as a more mature story rather then just PR.

Honestly it doesn't worry me since it's proably just be the clothing on certain characters Camilla then anything else.

I don't think it's Camilla's clothing, as Aversa was just as bad in Awakening.

It could be due to cutscenes like blue swordsman's execution that push it into the next rating. Even if we didn't see it fully, the guy still took 20 arrows to the front.

I'm not worried as anybody can find worse crap on the Internet and I'm of age at which I can purchase an AO rated game if I wanted to. What I'm more worried about is how much Nintendo of America would censor the game during localization to make it more suitable as a T-rated (recommended 13+ yrs. of age) game rather than go with possibly the first M-rated (recommended 17+ yrs. of age) Fire Emblem game since the game got rated to be recommended basically 15+ years of age.

Cero C rating can go either way. Bravely Default got T (though they did censor 3 or so raunchier costumes and aged everyone up by 3 years) while Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies got M iirc. C doesn't always translate to M rating overseas.

Edited by Aurath8

I'm not terribly worried honestly. I would like to think the game's higher rating has more to do with the themes that are being handled in the story. Fire Emblem's never gone too overboard with things like violence or suggestive content and I don't really see that changing any time soon.

I'm a bit iffy on Awakening's content as well. Because of who I am, I don't like swearing or designs like Tharja's. If If is going to have a higher rating than Awakening, I'm not sure if I'll buy it, but it comes down to the content.

Well, it's not inconceivable that the game could have an M-rating. Let's take a step back and look at the premise: you're a dark changeling prince/ss who is forced to choose to kill either your biological family or the people who raised you.

From what we've seen, at least one character is incredibly sexually suggestive.

In the trailer, one violent death is shown--perhaps the avatar's father--is pelted with arrows.

This trailer could easily be an M-rated game, just for a dark and gritty story. I don't imagine them dropping any f-bombs, though.

Guys, Ace Attorney 5 had a M rating, and it was in NO WAY any darker than the rest of the series.

one cutscene early in the game got it its rating, and I imagine its the same scenario here.

I'm not worried about there being gratuitous sex/violence, if anything I'm excited for the possibility of a darker story. I am worried about possible censorship if the game is closer to M than T, because I don't think NoA would risk putting out an M rated FE right now, they need it to still be accessible to younger teenagers so it sells well.

Nope not worried at all about it,probably even a bit excited,since it allows for more variety of themes and I really doubt they are going to fill it with needless violence and so on.

Guys, Ace Attorney 5 had a M rating, and it was in NO WAY any darker than the rest of the series.

one cutscene early in the game got it its rating, and I imagine its the same scenario here.

Actually I'd say that he last case(not counting the DLC-case) was pretty much the darkest case in the series(didn't play Investigations 2 though) and well the first case was also pretty dark.

But yeah overall it wasn't really much darker than the previous ones and still matched the overall tone of the series.

I, personally, don't care for 'darker' stories. It's not that I dislike dark plots and the like, I've just seen them get turned into 'cynical' or 'violent/needlessly sexual' a bit too often. It's also part of why I'm worried here. I guess I'm more worried that they'll make 'M-rated Fire Emblem' than 'Fire Emblem IF' if that makes sense.

Some series do darker and edgier wrong. There is that.

However FE has the capability of doing so. Jugdral was incredibly dark. Tellius had a few dark themes too "Feral ones" anyone?

Its not like they are going dark and edge purely for the edge (See Shadow the Hedgehog). (Then again that was due to SA2s darker story working incredibly surprisingly well)

They are going for it because it benefits from it (see Jak and Daxter)

Nope not worried at all about it,probably even a bit excited,since it allows for more variety of themes and I really doubt they are going to fill it with needless violence and so on.

Actually I'd say that he last case(not counting the DLC-case) was pretty much the darkest case in the series(didn't play Investigations 2 though) and well the first case was also pretty dark.

But yeah overall it wasn't really much darker than the previous ones and still matched the overall tone of the series.

i have to agree with you there, that last case alone deserved the M rating.

Some series do darker and edgier wrong. There is that.

However FE has the capability of doing so. Jugdral was incredibly dark. Tellius had a few dark themes too "Feral ones" anyone?

Its not like they are going dark and edge purely for the edge (See Shadow the Hedgehog). (Then again that was due to SA2s darker story working incredibly surprisingly well)

They are going for it because it benefits from it (see Jak and Daxter)

honestly as long as they don't go DmC:Devil May Cry, i can only see this higher rating as a good thing since it can lead to a more mature story.

honestly as long as they don't go DmC:Devil May Cry, i can only see this higher rating as a good thing since it can lead to a more mature story.

Yeaaah DMC:Devil May Cry tried way way way way too hard.

Worried about swearing words, violence, gore etc.? Not at all, that'd just create a darker athmosphere in a game that's about war.

Worried about them making it a pervert-magnet? Absolutely, but there's still faith left in this Ragnar to believe that IS wouldn't go that far.

^ i don't think actual heavy swears, violence or gore, is necessary to convey that it is dark and it that it should be darker cause it is about war. Rather the fact that it is about war already, should add a darkness to it. They may not dwell on it too much in fire emblem , but to me it is always there, people will die in war, bandits spread unheeded and burn and kill and pillage and rape, the people will have less food and recourses even on the winning side, the scars of previous wars tend to live on, there will be good people on the opposing side and you have to kill them anyway. Just for a few examples. Its just that your own soldiers happen to tend to be good people, and are normally fighting to end the war.

What? The endgame portion of AA5 is quite explicit (and partly due to the enhanced detail on the 3ds for crime scenes) in comparison to the other endgames.When I saw that part, there was no question why the game got the M rating.

Anyway for this game, I'm pretty sure the rating increase has a bit more to do with a slight increase in explicit cutscene violence..

Darker thematic elements are fine if used correctly. Im not expecting Fire Emblem: Game of Thrones edition (well...not full on anyway) with gore, bare tits, and lots of bad language. I think we are simply getting a more rounded thematically darker story. And theres nothing wrong with that. I doubt we'll get an M rating out west. Looks like it might be a strong T.

I'd say the rating stems from the fact that, if you assume that Kamui is roughly 18, you have to kill at least 2 young teenagers on each side, both of them being your family, whether biological or surrogate.