Does this games rating have you worried?

Snowy_One

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never claimed that Nintendo doesn't release M rated games. Obviously last year they released Bayonetta 2 and this year they are releasing Devil's Third which will assuredly be rated M. That said, it's a huge leap to assume that they are going to release a game in one of their established franchises which appeals to a variety age groups in such a restricted manner. For context, Pandora's Tower also had a CERO rating of C, but was only T in North America.

The only reason I think Camilla might have something to do with it is if she's heavily featured in cutscenes, even then that should still be ok for T over here but it might be a factor in the bump up in Japan.

Yeah, Camilla is seen a lot more than Aversa or Tharja. And even then, Tharja and Aversa aren't as bad. Aversa could cover her boobs a bit more, but Camilla shows more boobage as well as panties. I don't think Aversa has panties showing. Tharja isn't showing that much cleavage or panties either. The way Camilla has her boobs covered, they might as well not be covered at all, you can see so much skin.

Then again though, I still don't understand why PoR is T-rated while RD is just E10+ when the latter honestly has more swearing and violence. PoR has a small alcohol reference and that's really it, and you don't even have to see it. No fanservice, no children almost being murdered, no execution scenes, no repeated use of the word "damn" and stuff, nothing like that. RD doesn't have fanservice either, but it has those other things. It really should've been T-rated.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, Camilla is seen a lot more than Aversa or Tharja. And even then, Tharja and Aversa aren't as bad. Aversa could cover her boobs a bit more, but Camilla shows more boobage as well as panties. I don't think Aversa has panties showing. Tharja isn't showing that much cleavage or panties either. The way Camilla has her boobs covered, they might as well not be covered at all, you can see so much skin.

Then again though, I still don't understand why PoR is T-rated while RD is just E10+ when the latter honestly has more swearing and violence. PoR has a small alcohol reference and that's really it, and you don't even have to see it. No fanservice, no children almost being murdered, no execution scenes, no repeated use of the word "damn" and stuff, nothing like that. RD doesn't have fanservice either, but it has those other things. It really should've been T-rated.

If I recall correctly the E10 rating was made shortly before PoR got released here. It likely wasn't in much use until the following year, as PoR had probably been play tested and such. Its still baffling yes, but its a possible explanation.

The rating system is kinda dumb anyways.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1043339/e10.html

If I recall correctly the E10 rating was made shortly before PoR got released here. It likely wasn't in much use until the following year, as PoR had probably been play tested and such. Its still baffling yes, but its a possible explanation.

The rating system is kinda dumb anyways.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1043339/e10.html

Yeah, I knew about this, but I still think RD should've been rated T. If E10+ had been around when PoR was rated though, I'd have given PoR E10+.

But RD had that lovely conversation between Shinon and Aimee XD

Yeah, I knew about this, but I still think RD should've been rated T. If E10+ had been around when PoR was rated though, I'd have given PoR E10+.

Just double checking! ^^

I recall first seeing the E10 rating on a game I mentioned earlier "Shadow the Hedgehog" which was so campy/dark I find it funny. (gameplay was ok too so I find it an average game overall. Although the majority of the Sonic fanbase loathes it :P)

Yeah, I figured. :)

But RD had that lovely conversation between Shinon and Aimee XD

You mean where Shinon gave Aimee the Silencer bow to sell? What's that got to do with anything? Or am I forgetting something? It's been quite awhile since I last played RD...

To be on topic though, whatever this game's rating is in the US, I just don't want any ridiculous stuff like a lot of blood or sexual content, which I'm pretty sure won't happen. Closest thing to sexual content will probably be Camilla.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, I figured. :)

You mean where Shinon gave Aimee the Silencer bow to sell? What's that got to do with anything? Or am I forgetting something? It's been quite awhile since I last played RD...

To be on topic though, whatever this game's rating is in the US, I just don't want any ridiculous stuff like a lot of blood or sexual content, which I'm pretty sure won't happen. Closest thing to sexual content will probably be Camilla.

well before aimee explains to ike about the silencer thing, it sounds like and even Ike mistakes it for Aimee paying Shinion for sex. he even says the line "Aimee...explain...your scaring me"

You'd be all for FE: Game of Thrones edition though wouldn't you? :P

well yeah but it would never happen. (I wish someone would make an FE style game out of GoT, ngl. Hacks wouldnt do it service.) But tbh, the kind of themes and sex in GoT is not really a big benefit in a game narrative. Just implying naughtiness does a lot more for narratives. Nohr is likely to be more akin to GoT in terms of intrigue and plot structure. (whos backstabbing who. Remove guy from throne. etc) But its still gonna be hella light hearted in comparison.

This is definitely very interesting. We went from an almost completely consistent "All ages" all the way up to "15+". Some variations are to be expected but this is pretty extreme.

And I don't think the Ace Attorney case is really comparable to this. I would definitely expect these kind of variations on foreign markets because of different cultural sensibilities that you might not fully grasp. But I don't think this kind of stuff should happen in your own country unless you actually think it's worth it to exclude a large part of your previous audience for whatever reason.

Personally I liked that Fire Emblem usually got an "A" rating in Japan because I generally felt that it dealt with serious real world issues in a mature manner without handling it in a way that is unsuitable for young audiences. I mean they never did stuff like trying to express that "war is bad" by doing something as messed up as the opening of "Saving Private Ryan" or something like that. That was something I used to value about the franchise.

So I really hope that this is a sign that we are now dealing with serious or interesting themes that you simply couldn't address with a lower rating and not because of reasons that are more juvenile. This is definitely one more hint for me to take full advantage of the release gap between Japan and Europe and to make sure I know in advance want I am actually buying.

Edited by BrightBow

well before aimee explains to ike about the silencer thing, it sounds like and even Ike mistakes it for Aimee paying Shinion for sex. he even says the line "Aimee...explain...your scaring me"

I don't remember this at all... Huh. Though why Ike would be scared or anything here, I don't know, he didn't have any interest in Aimee whatsoever... lol

Also, BrightBow's post is yes.

Edited by Anacybele

^ the funny thing is the "Amiee your scaring me " comes directly after amiee accuses him of bieng jealous and says ike is the only one for her. So your apparent need to say that ike dosent have any interest in anyone but a certain queen is completely unnecessary.

Uh, where did I mention any queens in that post? I said Ike has no interest in Aimee, that's all. Not "Ike has no interest in anyone but a certain queen." You're the one that's being unnecessary. So please stop twisting my words.

Edited by Anacybele

Pls guys, we all no the only queen for Ike is actually Soren. sorrynotsorry

Anyways, as for If, I don't think it's surprising that the game will at least be rated 15+, especially for Nohr as it will probably be the darker/more mature path in terms of narrative. It's possible that the rating is only going to be needed for Nohr and that all of the releases of If will have the same rating as the bundle will have all three paths. Also if the game is going to focus on choices, I think the choices will affect Kamui as much as they do the outside world. I believe that IS is going to put Kamui through some serious shit and that the effects of these choices and how Kamui handles them and the corresponding themes may not be appropriate for younger audiences.

Anyways, as for If, I don't think it's surprising that the game will at least be rated 15+, especially for Nohr as it will probably be the darker/more mature path in terms of narrative. It's possible that the rating is only going to be needed for Nohr and that all of the releases of If will have the same rating as the bundle will have all three paths. Also if the game is going to focus on choices, I think the choices will affect Kamui as much as they do the outside world. I believe that IS is going to put Kamui through some serious shit and that the effects of these choices and how Kamui handles them and the corresponding themes may not be appropriate for younger audiences.

Thing is, Jugdral was already really dark. So Nohr being more mature, isn't exactly new, except to video game raters in todays age as opposed to back then.

Thing is, Jugdral was already really dark. So Nohr being more mature, isn't exactly new, except to video game raters in todays age as opposed to back then.

I think it being today is a large part of it though. We can show a lot more visually then we could back then. Sprites just moving back and forth and one disappearing is a lot less graphic than actually seeing 3D models get punctured with arrows or actually seeing someone commit suicide. I think it's a mixture of the themes and what technology can display in hand with these themes that will ultimately achieve a higher rating.

Derp, I'm actually not sure if sprites wass the right term to refer to Judgral as I was more talking about the GBA games. Still, I don't think the graphics of the super famicom were that better, if at all, than the GBA.

Edited by Venterqua