Shouzou Kaga Announces New SRPG Studio Indie Project!

Arch

Although it would be much cooler if he were to make an actual game for the Wii U, which is pretty lacking in RPGs of all kinds.

Yeah that's why I'm hoping that SMT game actually turns out good to fix that problem. Though the trailer made me skeptical.

Edited by Radiant head

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man behind the Emblem LIVES! And a new project for Indie no less! :): Since he's looking for battle and map sprites, I'm currently ripping the SNES Sprites and TearRing Saga and Berwick Saga [Don't hurt me... :sweatdrop: ]. The SNES Sprites are no problem, but the PS1 and PS2 Sprites are a bigger challenge than expected.

The man behind the Emblem LIVES! And a new project for Indie no less! :): Since he's looking for battle and map sprites, I'm currently ripping the SNES Sprites and TearRing Saga and Berwick Saga [Don't hurt me... :sweatdrop: ]. The SNES Sprites are no problem, but the PS1 and PS2 Sprites are a bigger challenge than expected.

Careful. He specifically says not to submit sprites that infringe other people's copyrights. The Fire Emblem and Saga sprites are copyrighted by Nintendo/Enterbrain, not Kaga.

Thank you kindly for the updates : )

It's great that Kaga has plans to explain what specific things he needs, so we don't end up giving him stuff he doesn't want or can't use.

Also, from the sound of things, I assume Kaga wants to keep his project in the shadows for now. At least until he's ready to publicly show if off.

In which case, I'll hold off from posting any further updates on the front page or out in the open.

Your translation is perfectly understandable klono, thank you!

After playing around with the program I have discovered there is a term editor that you can easily translate many Key words such as "Attack" or "Continue" inside the program. Under each display word (The Japanese word that shows in the game) there is a English code word, Basically you just write what's under each Japanese word and you have a partly translated game. This will take some time to edit and you will have to do it over again every new project but makes the experience easier until a fan translation comes out.

Does this also apply to things like menus, character stat pages and so on? If so.... I think I might be interested in getting this application and making a specific something with it...

Careful. He specifically says not to submit sprites that infringe other people's copyrights. The Fire Emblem and Saga sprites are copyrighted by Nintendo/Enterbrain, not Kaga.

I know. That's why I need to practice on making custom sprites in a different style, hence my (silly) signature :lol:.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26053498

If anyone is interested in seeing what SRPG Studio looks like out of the box, here's a good video demoing a map we're all quite familiar with. You need a nicovideo acct, though. I've been watching this to help brainstorm ideas for what klono mentioned above. I think it uses all of the classes, too, which should help provide a better answer to the question of "what can we make solely through edits to the existing assets."

I've also updated the first post with these recent developments.

Your translation is perfectly understandable klono, thank you!

Does this also apply to things like menus, character stat pages and so on? If so.... I think I might be interested in getting this application and making a specific something with it...

The Term Editor can basically translates the entire In Game. Tho the editor is still in Japanese and hard to use. You will have to do a LOT of experimenting to found out what each bottom or menu does. I suggest jotting it down in a word document or taking a screen shot and writing what it does next to it. I have gotten the bare basics of the program. Maybe I'll make a post on my current knowledge or wait until I learn more.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26053498

If anyone is interested in seeing what SRPG Studio looks like out of the box, here's a good video demoing a map we're all quite familiar with. You need a nicovideo acct, though. I've been watching this to help brainstorm ideas for what klono mentioned above. I think it uses all of the classes, too, which should help provide a better answer to the question of "what can we make solely through edits to the existing assets."

I've also updated the first post with these recent developments.

Thank you for the video!

The map feel, menus, dialogs, battle interface as well as features (towns, changing music, mid-chapter recruitment, shops, ect) all looks to be extremely promising. However, the default battle animations are extremely questionable (Arrows teleporting 2 meters over the launching bow, the cavalier not having any attack frame, ect). The worst part is the movement chopiness. Instead of having the characters "slide" in alternating frames, they instead "teleport ahead" each frame and it's pretty jarring. It sounds like a particularity of the engine so I'm doubtful it can be fixed via animation set modifications... But besides the battle animations, it looks pretty darn good!

I'm not really able to provide anything of what Kaga really requires for his project... But I just might grab a version of SRPG studio. I can't see myself doing anything big with (Game design, scenario, map creation I can do, spriting not so much), but it looks like way too cool and interesting not to at least do a little something with it!

Edit: Grabbed the demo. There's quite a few classes that were not in the demo video. Here's the default class list that comes with SRPG (the ones Kaga seemed to think about modifying):

- Lord (Male and female)

- Swordmaster (Male and female)

- Thief (Male and female; not necessarily thief but what first comes to mind)

- Hero (Male and female; sword user but with more muscles)

- Cavalier (Male and female, brown horse)

- Griffin Rider (Male and female)

- Armored knight (Male only)

- "King" (Male only, heavy armor with a majestic flair)

- Skeleton

- Gargoyle / Demon thingy

- Archer (Male and female)

- Mounted archer (Male and female, white horse)

- Mage (Male and female, two kinds of each)

- Bishop (Male and female)

- Zombie / wight

- Dragon

Edited by Ayra

If I'm understanding them well, here's the Term of Usage for SRPG Studio regarding this:

- With the full version, you are allowed to distribute and even sell games made with SRPG Studio few restrictions (You don't even need to credit SRPG Studio)

- You are allowed to use and modify SRPG Studio assets if and only if those are used to create to an SRPG Studio game.

So Kaga's idea regarding modifying sprites (post #82 here made by klono) are completely legal and viable.

However, based on the demo and the time I spent with it (around 1 hour) I'm not seeing where you can actually get the files to edit. I know where you can put your own material to add to the game, but all the base elements are all encrypted in runtime.rts. Even if you save your project, only your unique assets appear in your graphic/audio/ect folders.

Regarding animations, the weapons are separate from the models. So you can have one unit change weapon types, having different looking swords, ect. You can also position and modify them (Rotate, scale, ect) so if you wanted to add a shield to a character for example you could do so without even touching any sprite sheet. I'm pretty sure that'd allow you to easily correct the "arrows flying way too high" issue too.

With that said, I'm not sure I'll be buying the full version. I code things for a living, I understand pretty much all the concepts present here but the language is a massive issue. I only have minor Japanese knowledge, and SRPG Studio has an astonishing amount of content and options. It'd literally take me hundreds of hours just to have a basic ideas of what the various options do. If it was in English I'd jump right over it, but it's unfortunately far too complex for my current knowledge of Japanese. I could create a basic map, change the mobility costs for some terrain/unit matchups and such things, but I have no ideas what 90% of options do and it's not something easily translatable via dictionary. klono's manual translation might help though!

Edit: I've played a bit more with the program and have some good news overall. The arrows/projectile issue is extremely easily fixable (it literally takes less than 30 seconds once you know how). The "movement stutter" can be reduced by adding frames to the moment. It's not a perfect fix, but it does help somewhat. On a more negative side, all fields are 9 characters long. So any english text will have to be done "like in the old days". Iron Sword does not fit, but Iron Swd does.

Edited by Ayra

This is the coolest thing I've heard of in a long time. If this all works out, I will be a very happy camper.

Being able to make custom FE-style games outside of ROM hacking (or making a new engine myself) would be like sliced bread, if the bread is on fire and being chased by ninjas. And the ninjas are all on fire too.

Oh, and Kaga's project will no doubt be awesome. He hasn't failed me yet.

Being able to make custom FE-style games outside of ROM hacking (or making a new engine myself) would be like sliced bread, if the bread is on fire and being chased by ninjas. And the ninjas are all on fire too.

FEXNA already exists tho ;P

FEXNA already exists tho ;P

Ahhh... you've got me there. FEXNA is pretty cool...

I guess I could say 'non-GBA-style,' then? :)

(not that I don't love the GBA games to death)