Shouzou Kaga Announces New SRPG Studio Indie Project!

Arch

FEXNA already exists tho ;P

From a legal standpoint, FEXNA is problematic though. While the application itself is legal, most of its default art assets are ripped straight off the GBA games. There's been a lot of fan projects that have been shutdown due to using art assets from other games, even if they built their own engines and added new things (for example, the big Street of Rage remake). For one, I'd be extremely uncomfortable in putting a ton of hours and effort in a project where I'd be constantly threatened by a "Cease and Desist" letter. It hasn't happened yet for any FE project, but there's unfortunately no guarantees that won't be the case at some point especially if one attains widespread popularity.

Regarding SRPG Studio, there's a problem regarding translation. While you can put a lot of things in English with an 8 characters limit (character names, classes, weapons, skills, ect), you can't translate some of the hardcoded interface, namely the character statistics and weapon statistics labels. I forgot to check but it's probably the same thing for the menus (quit game, ect). The developer of SRPG Studio is making a ton of patches for the application so it may be possible for them to offer a "Japanese/English" switch for those few labels, so that we could build fully English games for users, but... My Japanese is not good enough to make a clear request to the developer, and I'm not sure how much English the developer knows (They did not put SRPG Studio for sale on the English DLSite for example, even if most Japanese applications are).

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played with the program and have translated a few things (Not direct translations, Just what each thing does written in English)

https://twitter.com/BlazerFEX/status/597856967768481792

This is inside the event page, where you make your characters talk to each other and what not through text.

https://twitter.com/BlazerFEX/status/597859224874405888

This is where you make events, such as scripted battles or when the chapter ends.

Just a bit I have picked up from the program, hope this helps some people out. I know more then this but I was having so much fun with the program I forgot to write down the rest, and I just have it stored in my head. I'll translate other pages I know if anyone wants. EX. Resource page, Unit page, ect.

I'll definitively take all the translations you have to offer FEChamper, thank you! :) Those are very appreciated!

Talking about translations, here's the most translated I can get things from the user's side:

post-14812-0-17782900-1431382108_thumb.png

post-14812-0-20851400-1431382116_thumb.png

So basically, item/class names and all the descriptions in the bottom can be translated... Not bad, but not enough due to the stat labels. If we can change things from the terms editor as you mentioned I think we'd be in business though.

Edited by Ayra

From a legal standpoint, FEXNA is problematic though. While the application itself is legal, most of its default art assets are ripped straight off the GBA games. There's been a lot of fan projects that have been shutdown due to using art assets from other games, even if they built their own engines and added new things (for example, the big Street of Rage remake). For one, I'd be extremely uncomfortable in putting a ton of hours and effort in a project where I'd be constantly threatened by a "Cease and Desist" letter. It hasn't happened yet for any FE project, but there's unfortunately no guarantees that won't be the case at some point especially if one attains widespread popularity.

Regarding SRPG Studio, there's a problem regarding translation. While you can put a lot of things in English with an 8 characters limit (character names, classes, weapons, skills, ect), you can't translate some of the hardcoded interface, namely the character statistics and weapon statistics labels. I forgot to check but it's probably the same thing for the menus (quit game, ect). The developer of SRPG Studio is making a ton of patches for the application so it may be possible for them to offer a "Japanese/English" switch for those few labels, so that we could build fully English games for users, but... My Japanese is not good enough to make a clear request to the developer, and I'm not sure how much English the developer knows (They did not put SRPG Studio for sale on the English DLSite for example, even if most Japanese applications are).

But that's a simple as removing the assets from the FEXNA and calling it "SRPG: XNA" the reason why Streets of Rage Remake got hit was because it literally IS Streets of Rage while something like say... Beats of Rage-- basically the equivalent for making a sidescrolling beat 'em up, hasn't been hit by it despite the fact that IIRC it did come with a bunch of SoR assets when it was first there I believe.

This on the other hand, could be a bit of a problem...

I'll definitively take all the translations you have to offer FEChamper, thank you! :) Those are very appreciated!

Talking about translations, here's the most translated I can get things from the user's side:

attachicon.gifEngDemo1.png

attachicon.gifEngDemo2.png

So basically, item/class names and all the descriptions in the bottom can be translated... Not bad, but not enough due to the stat labels. If we can change things from the terms editor as you mentioned I think we'd be in business though.

It should be quite easy. If you don't know how to access the term editor go to the third tab on the top of the program and go down the the forth last option there. You can translate all the Key words such as Strength, Skill, Shop, Village, Ect. Their should be an English code word under it, making it easy to put in and translate. Then all of your states, menus, and almost everything else you need to make your game in English. Hope this helps. If you run into a problem I'll be glad to help as best as I can. I have come quite experienced with the editor for the little time I have had it. Enjoy!

How flexible, exactly, is this engine? The video showed some solid FE3-style gameplay, but can it handle the complexities from later on in the series, like Rescue, Supports, or even really crazy stuff like Pair Up?

But that's a simple as removing the assets from the FEXNA and calling it "SRPG: XNA"

Removing all the assets from FEXNA would work legally, but it unfortunately leave someone with 0 assets so everything except for the basic engine has to be built from scratch. It's certainly a viable option for a project though.

How flexible, exactly, is this engine? The video showed some solid FE3-style gameplay, but can it handle the complexities from later on in the series, like Rescue, Supports, or even really crazy stuff like Pair Up?

Support functionality is there by default. Rescue and pair up I have no ideas at this point... I have the feeling that it's very flexible (you have access to script a ton of stuff), but I'm honestly just at the stage of "This option allows you to do this" with a ton of unknown at this moment. FEChamper and klono's explanations help a lot for this however so hopefully one of us will have a more formal answer to your question!

As of right now there is no rescue or pair up mechanics but are possible thanks to scripts. Tho I am not sure where to find per made scripts from fans nor do I know how to make them atm. If I find out I'll be sure to tell you.

If the development team is smart, they will have implemented a flexible scripting language that would make it so that a dedicated user who knew how to script could do almost anything. In rpgmaker, for example, the default battle system is essentualy the one from dragon quest, but iv'e seen easy to implement scripts that make it work like final fantasy (both with and without atb), chrono trigger, earthbound, the mana games, pokemon(although the quality on that last one looks questionable), ect. Plus scripts for every character progression system under the sun. (note: these two systems are not made by the same people, but the fact that the legal conditions for asset use are identical tells me that the makers of srpg studio are taking many pages from the rpgmaker book)

Edited by sirmola

As of right now there is no rescue or pair up mechanics but are possible thanks to scripts. Tho I am not sure where to find per made scripts from fans nor do I know how to make them atm. If I find out I'll be sure to tell you.

Huh. I was absolutely expecting a definitive no.

Hype restored.

I've bought the full version and translated the entire dictionary (well, used the script command names for most things so there'd be a LOT of polishing to do).

Result? Better, but still need some improvement.

The basic unit screen is really good (I didn't translate the staff so it's normal that's still in Japanese):

post-14812-0-34368000-1431564414_thumb.png

The commands (Save game, attack, end turn) ect are all translateable too.

However, there's still some things that remains in Japanese that I don't know how to change:

post-14812-0-27488400-1431564527_thumb.png

Things like these: Item effects for example, or configuration menus, or some prompts. In theory, we can put a description at the bottom so it's not a deal breaker, but...

I've bought the full version and translated the entire dictionary (well, used the script command names for most things so there'd be a LOT of polishing to do).

Result? Better, but still need some improvement.

The basic unit screen is really good (I didn't translate the staff so it's normal that's still in Japanese):

attachicon.gifEngDemo3.png

The commands (Save game, attack, end turn) ect are all translateable too.

However, there's still some things that remains in Japanese that I don't know how to change:

attachicon.gifEngDemo4.png

Things like these: Item effects for example, or configuration menus, or some prompts. In theory, we can put a description at the bottom so it's not a deal breaker, but...

I have not figured out how to translate this part either. For now there does not seem to be a way to do so. In the game it's self that is. I'll let you know if I find a way to translate this.

Well, I've just made a 1-stage game with SRPG Studio with some events (Character recruitment, AI that varies depending on a triggers, shop, town visit rewards, hidden items, ect). It's honestly not an amazing map, but I think it's quite okay. If anyone's curious about playing a relatively basic SRPG Studio map, please give it a try! The link for the thread (with download link) is:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53779

If you have any comments regarding the map (or anything related to it), please do so in that thread. I don't want to usurp this thread about Kaga's project anymore than I just did!

-

klono: Thank you very much about the translation information! That's a wonderful discovery! I unfortunately won't have the time to try it out until next week, but at first glance it looks like exactly what we need!

I might take you up on your translation offer sometime: I'm having a really hard time understanding a lot of the event triggers. I managed to understand the basic triggers I needed to (For example setting my variables and reading them, checking if a certain unit died or the current turn number), but I honestly have no clue for about 80% of the other ones.

Well, I've just made a 1-stage game with SRPG Studio with some events (Character recruitment, AI that varies depending on a triggers, shop, town visit rewards, hidden items, ect). It's honestly not an amazing map, but I think it's quite okay. If anyone's curious about playing a relatively basic SRPG Studio map, please give it a try! The link for the thread (with download link) is:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53779

If you have any comments regarding the map (or anything related to it), please do so in that thread. I don't want to usurp this thread about Kaga's project anymore than I just did!

-

klono: Thank you very much about the translation information! That's a wonderful discovery! I unfortunately won't have the time to try it out until next week, but at first glance it looks like exactly what we need!

I might take you up on your translation offer sometime: I'm having a really hard time understanding a lot of the event triggers. I managed to understand the basic triggers I needed to (For example setting my variables and reading them, checking if a certain unit died or the current turn number), but I honestly have no clue for about 80% of the other ones.

I have also made an experiment game, this program makes it incredibly easy to make fire emblem like games once you get the hang of it. I'm happy to see someone else enjoying this program as much as I am.

Yah, my english is not good :Soldier: so sorry u...

Because G have played even TearRing Saga but don't know Tirnanog used what engine/software to make TRS?

TRS is very very wonderful (my rate ^^ TRS is better than Berwich Saga)

PS: if SRPG allow char can move with style hexagon grid as Berwich (but when end turn can select one of six directs to defend) is bessst...

That will make game Strategy Turn-base become full strategy. I hope about it everyday I can say...

This is only my idea DEMO (still update)

Edited by K.G.T