So, new here, and not sure where to post this... But here I go.
I apologize for coming off as ranting at first.

So, I remember that Fire Emblem: Awakening (for example) came out April 19th 2012, while in the west it first came out in North America on February 4th 2013, and April 19th 2013 for Europe.

Now, with the hype for Fire Emblem: if, I've begun to worry that the same thing will happen to this game. It'll be released in Japan on June 25th THIS YEAR, while in the west it's set for 2016. And I do worry that it'll come out early 2016 in America (for one bloody reason or another...) and later for Europe. I rather that it doesn't happen, as I feel it not only makes no sense, it is not particularly fair for Europe to have to wait a (almost) complete year. And I don't want to hear that USA has a bigger gaming market, because that's poppycock.

Anywho; moving swiftly along, what are your thoughts about the gap between Japanese release date and the western 2016 release date? And yes, I know the localization and such are important factors.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens, happens. I'm not some millionaire who can throw cash at them to translate faster...

Yeah, I guess... Neither am I. Just a European bloke who is rather fed up with getting things after America. On an unrelated note, love your avatar.

I'm fine with it, as I'm still on the fence about whether to get this game or not.

Besides, I have plenty of things to keep me busy in the mean time.

True, there are games that will come out this year, like Xenoblade X (at least they claim it's for 2015... It's released in Japan and we haven't even been given the month) and Mario Maker, + Splatoon... and I guess it gives me more time to finish the Fire Emblem games from eshop, too.

I'm pretty sure games get released in the US before Europe because the US only needs one language release (English) while Europe needs multiple.

And moving to If forum.

I'm pretty sure games get released in the US before Europe because the US only needs one language release (English) while Europe needs multiple.

And moving to If forum.

NoA handles all of the Americas though which includes French, Spanish, and Portuguese as major languages (well not anymore since they've pulled out of Brazil). But yeah they don't translate all their games to those languages.

All we can do is hope they're working faster on this since there's more interest in FE now. :/ Maybe we'll learn a date at E3.

NoA handles all of the Americas though which includes French, Spanish, and Portuguese as major languages (well not anymore since they've pulled out of Brazil). But yeah they don't translate all their games to those languages.

All we can do is hope they're working faster on this since there's more interest in FE now. :/ Maybe we'll learn a date at E3.

Aye, and I agree! There are more languages to cover here, but I really hate that it - more often tha not - has to be an extra MONTH or two inbetween.

I hope so too. I really don't want to wait till, for example, April 2016 to finally play it when both Japan and North America has already played the game over and over.

Aye, and I agree! There are more languages to cover here, but I really hate that it - more often tha not - has to be an extra MONTH or two inbetween.

These things take a lot of time, especially with all the text in FE games. It's not just translation, either, but QC for errors like bad line breaks on top of obvious things like grammar.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for simultaneous releases, but there are reasons for release gaps, and likely more than just translation into multiple languages.

These things take a lot of time, especially with all the text in FE games. It's not just translation, either, but QC for errors like bad line breaks on top of obvious things like grammar.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for simultaneous releases, but there are reasons for release gaps, and likely more than just translation into multiple languages.

You know, the more replies I get, the more I start to feel like a jerk for complaining.

Nah, I totally get it. It's hard enough being in NA and having to wait for months after Japan gets the game, I'd be annoyed too if I had to wait even longer than other English-speaking regions. Just try not to focus on it too much because that won't make it come any faster and will only make you suffer. :P You could use the wait time to play or replay some other FEs!

Nah, I totally get it. It's hard enough being in NA and having to wait for months after Japan gets the game, I'd be annoyed too if I had to wait even longer than other English-speaking regions. Just try not to focus on it too much because that won't make it come any faster and will only make you suffer. :P You could use the wait time to play or replay some other FEs!

Well, I do have the two FE games from eshop still lingering around on my wiiu...

The localization process takes time, there's nothing we can really do about that. Europe isn't always on the short end of the stick either. You all got Bravely Default two months before the US and Xenoblade Chronicles eight months earlier. It is as it is.

There's also the localization and the things that come with them.

Yeah, I guess... Neither am I. Just a European bloke who is rather fed up with getting things after America. On an unrelated note, love your avatar.

The European version has to be translated to five different languages, it is only natural that it takes so long.

I hope it doesn't take so long to get to Brazil either, and I hope it is less than 150 bucks. Chances are it will be that expensive, and chances are I'll have to change my region -again- in order to buy it in the american e-shop.

Be glad that this is not like the first few Pokemon games -- Red and Blue arrived in America more than 2 years after the release of Red and Green, and Gold and Silver arrived in America 18 months after the Japanese release.

Yeah, but the new Pokemon games these days have worldwide releases (well, almost, since for some reason, ORAS didn't hit Europe until a week after everyone else got them). Why can't Nintendo do that for FE if they can do it for a text-heavy game like Pokemon?

Yeah, but the new Pokemon games these days have worldwide releases (well, almost, since for some reason, ORAS didn't hit Europe until a week after everyone else got them). Why can't Nintendo do that for FE if they can do it for a text-heavy game like Pokemon?

If I may hazard a guess

1. FE still isn't quite as popular as some of Nintnedo's other franchises. It's definitely gotten more popular lately but perhaps still not quite rivaling other franchieses that have been popular in the West much longer.

2. FE is far more text heavy then Pokemon by quite a bit.

3. They have the equivalent of three games all the size of Awakening to translate and I assume they want to do a good job localizing which means it may take a significantly longer time than Awakening (I hope not but the realist in me refuses to let me be too hopeful)

4. Maybe Nintendo just like watching us squirm.

Edited by nhaer042

Because it's not fucking Pokemon. FE is more popular now, but it's still very small compared to Pokemon. Pokemon also isn't that "text-heavy," especially in comparison to Fire Emblem, and doesn't have voiced lines yet.

If I may hazard a guess

1. FE still isn't quite as popular as some of Nintnedo's other franchises. It's definitely gotten more popular lately but perhaps still not quite rivaling other franchieses that have been popular in the West much longer.

2. FE is far more text heavy then Pokemon by quite a bit.

3. They have the equivalent of three games all the size of Awakening to translate and I assume they want to do a good job localizing which means it may take a significantly longer time than Awakening (I hope not but the realist in me refuses to let me be too hopeful)

4. Maybe Nintendo just like watching us squirm.

I didn't know your number 2 there. Huh... I also didn't think popularity should have anything to do with it...

Because it's not fucking Pokemon. FE is more popular now, but it's still very small compared to Pokemon. Pokemon also isn't that "text-heavy," especially in comparison to Fire Emblem, and doesn't have voiced lines yet.

Uh, wow, was being harsh necessary?

Edited by Anacybele

Uh, wow, was being harsh necessary?

I wasn't being harsh, I was emphasizing that this is (fucking) Pokemon vs Fire Emblem.

But...you didn't know that Fire Emblem is more text-heavy than Pokemon? You can't be serious, assuming you've played both.

I wasn't being harsh, I was emphasizing that this is (fucking) Pokemon vs Fire Emblem.

But...you didn't know that Fire Emblem is more text-heavy than Pokemon? You can't be serious, assuming you've played both.

I felt that the emphasis + the swearing sounded like a little anger towards me.

And no, why is that a problem, exactly?

I mean...just think about how much time you spend reading in Pokemon vs Fire Emblem. Pokemon has more text than your average platformer, but it's still pretty light in comparison to truly text-heavy games.

The release date gap does disappoint me, but at least there'll be something good to play next year. I just have to keep telling myself that.. for a while.

How can you say Fire Emblem is not like Pokemon? It's getting two versions in Japan.

How can you say Fire Emblem is not like Pokemon? It's getting two versions in Japan.

S support Mega Gardevoir here we come.

Localization is a time consuming process that does not usually receive the treatment the big money maker Pokémon is.

Edited by shadowofchaos