KelssFE (working title)

Alusq

"KelssFE"

Beta testing begins: Soon™

Demo release: Soon™

Hey, everyone! I'm making an FE7 mod. It's actually been in progress for the past half-year or so, but thanks to school it's gone really sluggishly. I'm trying to have a "revival" of FE modding for myself now that school is winding down (I still have a class, but I still have time to do stuff), so as my first step of that I'm posting this thread here... because honestly, when I'm posting stuff on a forum it gives me a lot of motivation to continue. I'm shooting for a full game of about 15 chapters, with a demo containing seven (prologue~5+one side chapter) planned for this year's Fire Emblem E3.

So what's this all about?

Our story begins in the northern reaches of the continent of Aertz, in Arnsk, a small country sandwiched between the eponymous Kelss in the north and its historical southern rival, Clarenz. Founded by a hero who rejected both sides of an old war and raised a land on his own terms, Arnsk has since fallen on hard times, trying several times to join both Clarenz and Kelss to no avail. As the lands of the north and south become wrapped up in their own problems, with Clarenz policing its eastern neighbors and dissatisfied rebels springing up like weeds in Kelss, a Kelssian envoy is sent to Arnsk to offer the small nation a chance to join a federation in exchange for contributing fighters to the ranks of the loyalist Kelssian Guard. Joakim, the Duke of Arnsk, sends his right-hand man, Theln, to meet the Kelssians and accept their offer while he musters the entire Arnskian military to answer the call to arms. But this is only the beginning, and as the conflict begins to escalate, more and more of Aertz's nations will become involved...

Without further ado, here are some teaser screenshots from the prologue!:

91GAvLQ.png

Top: Joakim briefs Theln and introduces some helpful traveling companions.

Bottom: Theln talks with an excitable comrade on the road to Kelss, totes a longsword and bow, and an enigmatic hunter stands in our way.

Not much, yes, but I'll post new stuff often (likely decreasing in frequency as release draws near). This mod will feature several never-before-seen custom battle animations (for main characters as well as some normal units) as well as music imported from other games and some new gameplay concepts: I'm actually showing a lot of restraint in just posting six screenshots that aren't very informative right now, but I'll reveal more and more minutiae about the project as the month goes on.

If you like beta testing and want more on your plate, let me know! I'll be recruiting beta testers very soon, and with the game having several ways to play through it I'll be wanting enough testers such that everyone can test a different route.

Edited by Alusq

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is already looking nice. After taking a break from FE and SF it's good to see so many new projects coming out of the woodwork. I look forward to anymore progress made on this.

didn't capitalize the 'b' in 'bow', 0/10 wouldn't play

This is an FE7 mod, FE8 capitalising the names of generic weapons is an abomination, and you should feel bad about yourself

@Jun: thanks! ^ш^

Sqawl! Thought you left the face of the internet after that little incident at TEB. Nice to see your back. The spritework is great BTW, was it you that made those?

Sqаwl! Thought you left the face of the internet after that little incident at TEB. Nice to see your back. The spritework is great BTW, was it you that made those?

I never left; I was just mostly on FEU until I got the urge to post a project on SF. It is nice to be "back", though! That old username is going to haunt me for the rest of my internet-life, though...

As for the sprites, yeah, I made them all. Honestly, most of them are really iffy in quality, but my style is more to get things done and go back to them later rather than get hung up on quality. I feel that my previous stuff had characters who were way too recognisable as the characters they were spliced from so I've been going for everyone having their own look right off the bat.

Edited by Alusq

wait a sec? no custom map palettes in OP.

Not playing.

orly?

A6j6mgs.png

... but suit yourself

NtMhrrX.png

I will make an actual palette for this cutscene map some time since I don't like the vanilla game's blue forests, though. They make sense on a GBA screen, but are otherwise only slightly less egregious than bubblegum forests

@Agro/Ciraxis/Willie: got you guys down on the tester list. Combined with people on Skype, that makes five to six, which is already plenty, so yay! "Holy shit Agro wants to play my thing... Deeeep breaths..." [shot] I'll throw you each a PM once I'm at the point where we're ready for beta testing to begin.

Edited by Alusq

uh hey if you need help with fixing the hair on your mugs, feel free to shoot me a pm

the sprites are good, they've got good designs and stuff, but a lot of the hair is p. rough

NtMhrrX.png

Magicant?

Look interesting, although I don't like the current title :P I will be watching with anticipation.

uh hey if you need help with fixing the hair on your mugs, feel free to shoot me a pm

the sprites are good, they've got good designs and stuff, but a lot of the hair is p. rough

Thanks; I might take you up on that. Hair is easily my weakest point in spriting.

@Toa: I'll probably make a thread in the spriting forum here soon, too. While the current level of quality can be kind of overlooked with enemy bosses who are only seen for one chapter, I do need to do better on the portraits of characters that the player will be seeing for most of the game.

@X-naut: Yeah, it's a pretty terrible working title because of how non-descriptive it is. But hey, that's why it's going to be called something else when I release it... Also curse you now I feel compelled to put in a Mother reference somewhere when there is nowhere in the mod where one would fit. :P

@Ghast: If you enter the Konami Code, everything in the game turns to CANDY

Today's teaser (daily for now, I suppose?) features a weak, but fun to use, character:

0UMNLWy.png

Thought she was just a cleric? Think again...

OMG Sqаwl! Long time, no see!

Glad to see this project is still alive. It looks great so far.

Hey there, Duchess! I can't say that Asenath is still in this iteration of the project, unfortunately. When I re-started on a new rom I scrapped most of the characters in favor of making most of the non-main characters anew. Suffice it to say that they all have actual personalities this time (everyone's getting a lot more dialogue thanks to conditional events).

... Here I was hoping that this thread /wouldn't/ come off as a triumphant return, then half the people replying immediately call me Sqаwl and welcome me back. Oh well.

Edited by Alusq

This is an FE7 mod, FE8 capitalising the names of generic weapons is an abomination, and you should feel bad about yourself

@Jun: thanks! ^ш^

pfft I capitalized them in my hacks

heck it's pretty much the first thing you should do in any hack

first copy FE7 over

then fix all the weapon names

then expand your game, apply patches, etc.

I'm not even an FE hacker and I know it's FE hacking 101

*shot*

pfft I capitalized them in my hacks

heck it's pretty much the first thing you should do in any hack

first copy FE7 over

then fix all the weapon names

then expand your game, apply patches, etc.

I'm not even an FE hacker and I know it's FE hacking 101

*shot*

here you go, weimaraner

p2pzzFF.png

now I can be just like Blazer...! (‐^▽^‐)~♪

Or are you going for some kind of two magic per weapon type theme and you have wind/thunder, fire/earth, and light/dark?

Bingo. Earlier versions of this project saw a lot of anima mages, with clergymen just having a minor role and shamans having no reason to exist, so light and dark have been merged into "spirit" and anima split into earth and sky. In retrospect, it was kind of also inspired by Dynasty Warriors 8's heaven->earth->man weapon triangle, but the in-universe reason is that the original religion of the world was shamanism (with FE shamans lololol), which was eventually regimented into a clergy that had disagreements with other groups of philosophers who called on the power of nature rather than spirits of the deceased. As a result, there's a huge schism between the token church nation and the mages/mystics' nation (mage= earth, mystic= sky), but this doesn't become relevant in the Kelssian conflict for some time.

urgh that hair

I knoooowwwww ;-;... but before that, the portrait just had l'Arachel's hair, which made her way too recognisable as a splice.

Edited by Alusq

I'm in love with the colors. All those colors. Colors yespls. even the purple grass is yummy
In all seriousness, you've got some sexy palettes going on. ...which you won't hear me say often for new projects.
Good job to you ;3. I'll be keeping an eye on this, best of luck with it!