How long a wait for EU fans?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully no longer than 2 months following the American release. Anything past that is basically a crime against humanity. Seriously, though, they take a long time to get them translated, which is ridiculous. Hopefully they'll be lazy with Hoshido and the game actually comes out at the same time as the American release and that they were merely underestimating themselves.

You shall all fall into a time flux, which shall extend the localization 25 years, at which Sakurai finally makes another Kid Icarus game and all will be right again.

Is Palutena the main playable character? That'd be cool.

^^ wouldn't a time flux of 25 years mean video games as we know them might not exist by then we might have virtual reality or holograms, or given some app games existing (and all the remake/retools in the movie industry) we might just be stuck playing high graphic versions of pong/pacman.ect until someone has the exciting and totally original idea of adding a full story to a video game. What can i say sometimes humanity is looking like its going in circles to be honest.

Edited by goodperson707

We'll all be playing ET in a virtual reality in 8.8D.

I fully look forward to burying the games with a virtual shovel in-game. I'm not too worried how much later we get FE:if, Europe tends to get most games nowadays regardless. It's not like my life's ruined if I have to wait a few months.

Hopefully no longer than 2 months following the American release. Anything past that is basically a crime against humanity.

As a translator of 3 languages who understands the demands of localization, I was tempted to tear this apart and another comment on gamer "entitlement".

"Ridiculous" you say?

Your lack of respect and patience in those statements make my blood boil.

Considering the number of languages for Europe, 2 months is generous. 6 months is fast. A year is understandable. So please sit down, shut up, and wait or buy a Japanese 3ds and learn the language.

Edited by shadowofchaos

As a translator who of 3 languages understands the demands of localization, I was tempted to tear this apart and another comment on gamer "entitlement".

"Ridiculous" you say?

Considering the number of languages for Europe, 2 months is generous. 6 months is fast. A year is understandable. So please sit down, shut up, and wait or buy a Japanese 3ds and learn the language.

So they need those 2 months to translate 4 other languages? there is no need for more time, they just need more translates, so yes, you can say it's ridiculous that Europe has to wait even longer.

And beside as a dutch girl, I NEVER use any other language for games than English (even Japanese audio whenever I can), so why bother to translate the games to French, German, Spanish and Italian AT ALL. (I'm not yelling just emphasizing)

And beside as a dutch girl, I NEVER use any other language for games than English (even Japanese audio whenever I can), so why bother to translate the games to French, German, Spanish and Italian AT ALL. (I'm not yelling just emphasizing)

Because there are Italian/Spanish/German/French people who want to play it in said language?

Just like software development, putting more translators does not cut time like you would expect.

Have you ever tried working with other people on a script? How about working with a script with 4 people into 2 different languages? Have you?

It makes things more complex. Don't throw that statement around carelessly.

I did do a project like that (and we do many many group projects where I'm from).

So your saying that the same group of translators translates ALL the languages for the european release? If not, you can have different groups working on their own translation (one group for each language)

As a translator of 3 languages who understands the demands of localization, I was tempted to tear this apart and another comment on gamer "entitlement".

"Ridiculous" you say?

While I do completely agree with this, as a resident of the UK, it does kind of suck that I have to wait to play the exact game (Localisation that's already out in the US, since our versions are rarely, if ever, different. And I think that's what people are getting at, this being an english speaking forum and all...

I did do a project like that (and we do many many group projects where I'm from).

So your saying that the same group of translators translates ALL the languages for the european release? If not, you can have different groups working on their own translation (one group for each language)

I'm fairly sure SoC meant the amount of translators per language.

If you have 5 guys translating into Spanish, for instance, there is a higher chance for inconsistencies.

(Though, I vaguely remember reading that Nil's play command was translated to jugar (to play a sport/game/etc, not an instrument) in FE7, lol)

Edited by L95

"Ridiculous" you say?

I have to disagree, it's pretty much English, German, Spanish, Italian and French.

Translating from English to one of the other 4 isn't going to take nowhere near as long as from japanese to english, there's also the fact that it should be in the process of translating at the same time as the english version, so 2 months is actually pretty reasonable, especially considering the raise in popularity.

Really it shouldn't take too long if they make it so NoE and NoA stay in contact and pass the translation between the two so they can work more efficiently.

I'm fairly sure SoC meant the amount of translators per language.

If you have 5 guys translating into Spanish, for instance, there is a higher chance for inconsistencies.

(Though, I vaguely remember reading that Nil's play command was translated to jugar (to play a sport/game/etc, not an instrument) in FE7, lol)

Anyone remember "Bern" and "Biran"?

In the same chapter, referencing the same country?

Throwing more people into a translation does not proportionately decrease the time required for the translation.

Just like clients in software development, people here don't seem to understand that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Speaking of localization times, this game comes out next month right? Is it really going to take them a whole year to localize it? Atlus took 4 months to localize Devil Survivor 2, and that's with full voice acting for every single line of dialogue in the game!

Then and again, Awakening took a full year to localize...

and that's with full voice acting for every single line of dialogue in the game!

This is false. Only story/event scenes are voiced, in battle dialogue is not voiced.

But yeah, they did re... something. Did they truly retranslate it or just rewrite their already english script to flow better with VA?

Anyone remember "Bern" and "Biran"?

In the same chapter, referencing the same country?

...I don't actually. Elaborate here? I thought Biran was the name in the European version because Bern is a real place.

Edited by L95

The battle dialogue makes up so little of the game it doesn't count, in my opinion.

They certainly translated the entire new campaign for the first time, and they did retranslate much of the original (a lot of lines and references are more concise now), but yeah,that's a good point, they would have already had the battles and menus translated. I wonder what takes more effort to translate?

...I don't actually. Elaborate here? I thought Biran was the name in the European version because Bern is a real place.

EU version of FE7:

It fluctuates from Biran to Bern to Biran and back to Bern.

In chapter intros, it's "Bern".

In game dialogue, it's "Biran".

or the other way around. I don't remember specifically, but it was confusing as crap.

I said screw it and just played the JP version.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It is quite pain waiting for a long time but I agree with shadowofchaos. Translating one language from another takes a long process (let alone four other languages). You can't just translate and leave it at that. You also need to take into account how certain character say a certain dialogues and the transalators need to convey the different scenarios in the context that the gamer or reader (in the case of books) could understand.

then how do the games that get released in europe first work? (SD and I heard a lot of people say bravely default) It's just how they decided to release the games, how much effort/people they put on a certain localization, so there is no good reason for the difference between the euoprean and american release