How long a wait for EU fans?

I would like to add my two cents and simply say; I understand what shadowofchaos is saying - I really do, despite butting heads earlier. But in the end, it does suck that Europe has to wait months extra, especially when I - who lives in Scandinavia - don't need the french, spanish, or german languages. As long as it's english, I could play it. I really hope it's not a repeat of Awakening's release gaps this time, rather the release of both N.A and EU are the same.

It's not the best example, but Hyrule Warriors for examlpe came out in Europe first - 1 week before N.A. And it was translated to French and German as well, and there's a lot of text in that game. It's not impossible.
But oh well. We still have to play the waiting game; I doubt they talk about western release during this year's E3.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then how do the games that get released in europe first work? (SD and I heard a lot of people say bravely default) It's just how they decided to release the games, how much effort/people they put on a certain localization, so there is no good reason for the difference between the euoprean and american release

I can answer that for Bravely Default.

Did you know the entirety of the scripts for all the languages was already there on Japanese re-release: "Bravely Default: For the Sequel"?

The plans to release it overseas from "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" way before was a factor in that.

Even then there are features in that release of the game that were left "Japanese only", simply because that wasn't in the Flying Fairy release,

and wasn't localized to any of the other languages.

Q63nen9.png

So that point is moot.

Please don't use hearsay to justify your point since you're not fully aware of the circumstances.

You sound like you're grasping at straws considering Shadow Dragon is more the exception rather than the rule for release dates.

Maybe their focus was Europe first because it's the "roots" of Fire Emblem? Medieval setting for the re-release of the first game in the series.

There were many discussions of it on these forums even:

"Or it could be because the US release of Fire Emblem would do as poorly, comparatively, as it did last year on the Wii. It'd get eaten alive by bigger releases.

I've said this before: I like this decision, because sales numbers will likely be better after the holidays."

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9958

So there are reasons for that "black sheep" release.

So really...

so there is no good reason for the difference between the euoprean and american release

My point still stands that you are just being impatient.

Not to be a jerk, but you seem to lack an understanding of what fully translating a script requires.

And not every single title can and should be fitted to your timetable.

There are reasons for rushing an EU release as demonstrated.

Yet, expecting that for everything and saying "there is no reason for them" to take time they need? All of that... is just ignorance.

...or would you like a Google Translate version of the JP script?

Please, I'd love to see your opinion after playing a game like that.

It's not the best example, but Hyrule Warriors for examlpe came out in Europe first - 1 week before N.A. And it was translated to French and German as well, and there's a lot of text in that game. It's not impossible.

But oh well. We still have to play the waiting game; I doubt they talk about western release during this year's E3.

Zelda is like Pokemon as well. That IP gets a lot of priority in the eyes of Nintendo.

Not to mention it's a collaborative work with Tecmo Koei and they didn't want to screw it up *AND* it's not your typical Zelda title.

They just didn't know how people would react to it.

They probably wanted to get it in people's hands ASAP before they hype died down.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Did you know the entirety of the scripts for all the languages was already there on Japanese re-release: "Bravely Default: For the Sequel"?

The plans to release it overseas from "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" way before was a factor in that.

Even then there are features in that release of the game that were left "Japanese only", simply because that wasn't in the Flying Fairy release,

Q63nen9.png

So that point is moot.

Please don't use hearsay to justify your point since you're not fully aware of the circumstances.

You sound like you're grasping at straws considering Shadow Dragon is more the exception rather than the rule for release dates.

Maybe their focus was Europe first because it's the "roots" of Fire Emblem? Medieval setting for the re-release of the first game in the series.

"Or it could be because the US release of Fire Emblem would do as poorly, comparatively, as it did last year on the Wii. It'd get eaten alive by bigger releases.

I've said this before: I like this decision, because sales numbers will likely be better after the holidays."

So really...

Not to be a jerk, but you seem to lack an understanding of what fully translating a script requires.

Yet, expecting that for everything and saying "there is no reason for them" to take time they need? All of that... is just ignorance.

Zelda is like Pokemon as well. That IP gets a lot of priority in the eyes of Nintendo.

Not to mention it's a collaborative work with Tecmo Koei and they didn't want to screw it up *AND* it's not your typical Zelda title.

They probably wanted to get it in people's hands ASAP before they hype died down.

Okay, you are right about the bravely default thing, I simply heard many people mention that here.

But the thing about SD being an exception isn't a really strong argument, just because it's an exception it doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered in the discussion. And your reason for the earlier europe release doesn't make much sense either, if I'd follow up on that, you'd be saying that europe will get the IF:nohr before NA gets it (I no it doesn't, so I'm not trying to start an argument on that). My main point is, yes the european release needs more translating (to languages I never use, so I have to wait longer cuz' the majority of the Germans and french people don't know enough English (in general, everyone here obviously knows enough English, so I'm not bashing you guys)), but the main thing that determines the release date is the amount of effort/money nintendo puts in there. Its not like the translations are done by a hobby group, that also has a life beside translating.

And no, it's not impatience, it's simply that before I can even get the game the other half of the world will have already finished and I will have to evade the internet in order to play the game without knowing the entire plot beforehand.

And I know google translate stuff is bad, so I know you can't play a game on that (and the fact that you will also need a japanese 3ds to even play the japanses game).

So to sum this up.

- Yes more languages take more time

- but, it's IMO more nintendo's decision that affects the release date than the translation time

- and I don't want to know the entire plot of the game before I can even buy it

- and as a dutch girl, I have to wait longer so that they can translate the game into languages I never use.

It seems EU only gets remakes "localized" faster. New games its usually NA who gets it earlier.

I thought FEA's popularity meant a quicker 2015 localization. But this turned out completely wrong.

So I think its safe to assume there will be a 2 month or more gap between NA and EU FE IF release.

The delay is going to be very, very, very excruciating. Save up for a 3DS or a N3DS XL NA model now I guess =/

Europe doesn't consist of just Italy,Germany and so on so forth,there are other countries,and in those,mos people only speak their official language+English anyway,yet only some languages get translations. I'm not saying that is wrong,but I'm saying that the more you study English the more you learn, and in Europe we ALL learn English in school,every single country that resides in Europe does,there is no reason to just release it in English, and then have a special release for the countries who themselves want to translate them(they have offices in most countries,correct me if I'm wrong though!). Though,I do see why it could be good for those who don't understand it,I do...

It's a tricky issue,honestly. Hope I at least added something to this argument...(maybe not)

Q63nen9.png

So that point is moot.

So really...

That's besides the point - Hyrule Warriors has a lot of text, and it still came out before NA. It's not impossible - it can be done.

And please, don't give me that "I know Japanese, you don't understand the time needed for localization"

There really is no reason to say "Hey, Europe, you just sit there and wait and be happy about it. Mkay?" because trust me, if YOU lived in Europe and didn't know Japanese, you would be pissed as well. You would be pissed beyond belief.

I understand that Europe, with multiple languages, needs some more time for translations, but Nintendo knows that there's a big market here as well! Put some more money into it so maybe the release in the west can at least be simultaneously instead of letting Europe pick the shortest straw AGAIN.

I don't mean to come off as ranting, but it's still frustrating.

That's besides the point - Hyrule Warriors has a lot of text,

Hyrule Warriors doesn't have that much text (certainly nowhere near the amount a Fire Emblem games does). Also, even with the text being in japanese, it's easy to figure out what you have to do in Hyrule Warriors. In a game like FE however, it's almost impossible.

Hyrule Warriors doesn't have that much text (certainly nowhere near the amount a Fire Emblem games does). Also, even with the text being in japanese, it's easy to figure out what you have to do in Hyrule Warriors. In a game like FE however, it's almost impossible.

So Europe should just sit down, roll their thumbs, and obediently wait an extra 2-4 months?

Sure, HW doesn't have that much text, but it was still a new game and it came out before NA - again, it's not impossible, it can be done so that we don't have to wait to get a new game that the rest of the world has played through time and time again.

I think it's worth remembering that localization is more than just translation as things are changed to fit that reigon better like the previously mentioned Bern to Biran and Ostia to Ositia etc

because trust me, if YOU lived in Europe and didn't know Japanese, you would be pissed as well. You would be pissed beyond belief.

Thank you for speaking for me.

I had no idea that I am incapable of waiting 4 months and keep myself busy with other things.

Please do not presume that I would react the same way with you. Life has given me patience, and not with something as silly as "the pain of a video game release date".

You are simply being impatient. That's the jist of it.

You're starting to sound entitled.

...and not to sound rude, but your fellow European just debunked your entire rage post.

So Europe should just sit down, roll their thumbs, and obediently wait an extra 2-4 months?

As a European, that's what I'll be doing, yes.

GG, Kagehoshi. This is sounding eerily similar to Airship Canon's "2nd gen marriage rights" BS with Awakening.

Play other games.

Download free demos.

Do other things with your life and forget about the game.

Replay Awakening. There's an entire thread just now that appreciates its replayability.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53766

Replay other FE games.

Something.

You survived 3 years without a new FE game announcement.

You can survive 5 months.

Let us suppose Europe got the game first before even Japan.

What can I do? Nothing.

And raging about it won't do anything.

I would just end up looking bad.

If our resident European website admin can wait being chill, so can you.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I had no idea that I am incapable of waiting 4 months and keep myself busy with other things.

Please do not presume that I would react the same way with you. Life has given me patience, and not with something as silly as "the pain of a video game release date".

...and not to sound rude, but your fellow European just debunked your entire rage post.

GG, Kagehoshi. This is sounding eerily similar to Airship Canon's "2nd gen marriage rights" BS with Awakening.

Play other games.

Download free demos.

Do other things with your life and forget about the game.

Replay Awakening. There's an entire thread just now that appreciates its replayability.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53766

Replay other FE games.

Something.

You survived 3 years without a new FE game announcement.

You can survive 5 months.

What can I do? Nothing.

And raging about it won't do anything.

I would just end up looking bad.

If our resident European website admin can wait being chill, so can you.

Jeez what does it matter to you that people like us (europeans) are annoyed by the fact that it probably takes 4 months longer for us before we can play the game? Why are you so annoyed with us being frustrated about it? (it's not like we're raging about it). It just means how exited we are for the game to come out. That's why we complain, and I know whining about it doesn't exactly work but... I think we do have every right to be frustrated about it... Is that really so wrong?

And I know i can just play other games while waiting, but when you think about everyone in NA already playing the game, it's only natural to be a frustrated isn't it?

Also haven't we already proven to be patient when it comes to games? It's like this for europe with almost every game I/we look forward to.

You don't really know what it's like...

Jeez what does it matter to you that people like us (europeans) are annoyed by the fact that it probably takes 4 months longer for us before we can play the game? Why are you so annoyed with us being frustrated about it? (it's not like we're raging about it). It just means how exited we are for the game to come out. That's why we complain, and I know whining about it doesn't exactly work but... I think we do have every right to be frustrated about it... Is that really so wrong?

And I know i can just play other games while waiting, but when you think about everyone in NA already playing the game, it's only natural to be a frustrated isn't it?

Also haven't we already proven to be patient when it comes to games? It's like this for europe with almost every game I/we look forward to.

You don't really know what it's like...

Thank you. Finally someone who understands. I never imagined shadowofchaos would, being who he is. It's easy to talk about patience when you're the one that doesn't have to wait in the first place.

Must be easy to look down on others from that high horse of yours; knowing japanese and (as I understand) being able to play it right from the get-go. I say it again: if you lived in Europe and ALWAYS had to wait several months extra to play your favourite games, you would complain as well.

What can I do? Nothing.

That's not possible - not even in a million years, so don't even try. And I've replayed my fair share of Awakening already.

Edited by Kagehoshi

I think it's worth remembering that localization is more than just translation as things are changed to fit that reigon better like the previously mentioned Bern to Biran and Ostia to Ositia etc

And what does this add? You make it sound like those changes make waiting 4 extra months worth it, but it doesn't add anything. I don't see how they 'change the game to fit the region better'.

And what does this add? You make it sound like those changes make waiting 4 extra months worth it, but it doesn't add anything. I don't see how they 'change the game to fit the region better'.

it just makes it so somethings get changed to better fit that reigon and become more enjoyable as a result as well as changing dialogue to fit dialect like changing color to colour etc

I'd imagine that a large piece of it is "if you were in my shoes, you would be reacting just as immaturely as I am."

From Rey's perspective, not only is that presumptuous, it's also downright insulting.

Thank you. Finally someone who understands. I never imagined shadowofchaos would, being who he is. It's easy to talk about patience when you're the one that doesn't have to wait in the first place.

Do you really find the need to take passive-aggressive potshots at people you disagree with? You're not helping your case.

Besides, afaik it's not like Rey started out knowing Japanese right out of the box; he put in the time and effort to learn it.

If you did the same, you too could play games upon release! You can't even fault him for not living in Europe, because by your logic it only means you have even more incentive than he did to learn the language.

Don't get me wrong; having to wait sucks. That doesn't mean you should be projecting your own rage onto other people, and throwing around personal insults.

I'd imagine that a large piece of it is "if you were in my shoes, you would be reacting just as immaturely as I am."

From Rey's perspective, not only is that presumptuous, it's also downright insulting.

Whatever I was just giving my opinion, I wasn't even insulting people.

What you're doing right now seems more like insulting to me...

And yes I can just learn Japanese so I can play the game when it comes out in japan, wich i'm already doing right now.

But just as you said, it takes a lot of time and effort.

so being frustrated is really the only thing I can do right now, I wasn't trying to insult people with that :\

The title of this topic is "How long a wait for EU fans?" So it's pretty obvious you'd find people here, complaining about release dates in europe... just saying.

Whatever I was just giving my opinion, I wasn't even insulting people.

What you're doing right now seems more like insulting to me...

And yes I can just learn Japanese so I can play the game when it comes out in japan, wich i'm already doing right now.

But just as you said, it takes a lot of time and effort.

so being frustrated is really the only thing I can do right now, I wasn't trying to insult people with that :\

The title of this topic is "How long a wait for EU fans?" So it's pretty obvious you'd find people here, complaining about release dates in europe... just saying.

the only thing I addressed to you was my interpretation of why Rey reacted as he did; my apologies for it coming across as anything else

I wasn't trying to say that you were being insulting

the reason I responded to you was 'cause you were asking ("... Why are you so annoyed...")

a large part of his annoyance was that Kagehoshi was telling him how he, Rey, would feel about things, despite, y'know, Kagehoshi not being Rey

Edited by Euklyd

Don't get me wrong; having to wait sucks. That doesn't mean you should be projecting your own rage onto other people, and throwing around personal insults.

Having to wait, and then get told by someone like shadowofchaos, who knows japanese and doesn't have to wait, to "be patient, you're just impatient, you should be glad there's only a couple of extra months wait-time" is a downright slap in the face. He doesn't even need to have patience, so who the actual f**k is he to tell others that they can't be frustrated?

Meiyu raised a valid point - we are excited for the game. That's why it's even more frustrating when year, after year, after year, after year, Europe will have to wait even longer, knowing that during that period of time, Japan and N.A are playing the game already.

This "Rey" fellow or whatever shouldn't tell others to be patient when he's not the one who has to wait. Always easy to tell others what to do, yeah?

I'm not even saying that Europe should get the game first - I just wish it could be released in the west the same time as N.A.

the only thing I addressed to you was my interpretation of why Rey reacted as he did; my apologies for it coming across as anything else

I wasn't trying to say that you were being insulting

the reason I responded to you was 'cause you were asking ("... Why are you so annoyed...")

a large part of his annoyance was that Kagehoshi was telling him how he, Rey, would feel about things, despite, y'know, Kagehoshi not being Rey

ahh I get it now, i apologize as well for not understanding :)

Having to wait, and then get told by someone like shadowofchaos, who knows japanese and doesn't have to wait, to "be patient, you're just impatient, you should be glad there's only a couple of extra months wait-time" is a downright slap in the face. He doesn't even need to have patience, so who the actual f**k is he to tell others that they can't be frustrated?

Meiyu raised a valid point - we are excited for the game. That's why it's even more frustrating when year, after year, after year, after year, Europe will have to wait even longer, knowing that during that period of time, Japan and N.A are playing the game already.

This "Rey" fellow or whatever shouldn't tell others to be patient when he's not the one who has to wait. Always easy to tell others what to do, yeah?

I'm not even saying that Europe should get the game first - I just wish it could be released in the west the same time as N.A.

Please.

You seem fine with ignoring people who do have to wait when they say that yes, in fact, their response to games being released later is to be patient.

Besides, it's not that you can't be frustrated.

It's that things are more complicated than simply "throw more money at the localization and it would happen faster; nintendo doesn't love me ;~;"

it's not that you can't be frustrated.

It's that things are more complicated than simply "throw more money at the localization and it would happen faster; nintendo doesn't love me ;~;"

Yup, I think the reason why it's so frustrating is that there's actually nothing we can do about it :l

(well except learning japanese or get a NA 3ds and import the game)

it just makes it so somethings get changed to better fit that reigon and become more enjoyable as a result as well as changing dialogue to fit dialect like changing color to colour etc

I meant what does changing Bern to Biran add? It only confuses people who have been hyping since the first trailer. I know there are differences between American English and UK English, (although I prefer color over colour), but I don't think they need many dialect changes between the NA release and the EU release (between NA/EU and Japanese they do need them).

I meant what does changing Bern to Biran add? It only confuses people who have been hyping since the first trailer. I know there are differences between American English and UK English, (although I prefer color over colour), but I don't think they need many dialect changes between the NA release and the EU release (between NA/EU and Japanese they do need them).

i didn't say it added anything it's just what the localization does to try to make the game more appealing to a different reigon

i didn't say it added anything it's just what the localization does to try to make the game more appealing to a different reigon

There you say appealing again. Do you really think such changes change/add/or improve anything ?