Possible Character Name Changes in the NA Versions?

UnknownUber

Anybody else think some character names will be changed? In Awakening, it wasn't that bad and there were minor changes to character names outside of Velvet to Panne or Tiamo to Cordelia...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There definitely will be some. There always is the one token name change.

In awakening there were some that I liked better and some that I didn't like as much, but that's how it always is with translations.

Seriously, though, who in NOA looked at Panne and said "You know what, I think her name, which means 'soft fur' makes too much sense. Let's change it to a word that means 'bread.'"

I don't think there has been a Fire Emblem game yet that hasn't had at least one huge name change, so I think it's enevitable.

As for FEif, there's two ways the localization could go, imo:

1. The Nohr names stay relatively the same, with Hoshido names being kept exactly like we know them to keep the Japanese style.
or
2. The Nohr names stay relatively the same, but all the Hoshido names get overhauled into the European/Mythological/Fantasy names Fire Emblem usually has.

The first is the most likely, as the second one would be a little....dumb to do.

I think the Nohrian names will most likely be changed. Hoshido might have some name changes too, but they'll probably try to stick to other Japanese ones.

Heck, so far, MU's default name will definitely get a name change.

I just hope that they'll be happy with the original names and try not to change anything. Unless there's one character who they feel could have a better localized name (aside from the Hoshidan characters, cause that'd be ridiculous), then they can change it. The current names aren't terrible, so there isn't much need to have them changed at all (then again, they changed Azure to Inigo, so I guess if the name doesn't sound typical, they'll change it regardless).

I like the name Marx if they change imma gonna rage!

But Hoshido might be revamped although it really does fit Japanese style side to have Japanese names so IDK. Kamui and Garon are the only ones that to me seem highest priority name change.

In awakening there were some that I liked better and some that I didn't like as much, but that's how it always is with translations.

Seriously, though, who in NOA looked at Panne and said "You know what, I think her name, which means 'soft fur' makes too much sense. Let's change it to a word that means 'bread.'"

Pan is the Greek god of flocks and herds, so it makes sense.

EDIT: I looked up panne in a dictionary and it's apparently a velvet-like fabric.

Edited by SamusAran

Marx is マークス, right? I would guess they go with Max, or something totally different, because, well, Communism. We haven't seen anything like Asseray yet, so I don't think anything else is particularly likely to change, except maybe Kamui. We may still get something random like Stella->Astrid, though.

I can see Aqua becoming Marina in the English version. And Marx could become Max. But other than that, I'm not sure, honestly.

Marx to Max? Max!? Really?

Localizing a name isn't just choosing a common name thats close to the original, If it ends up being Max over Marx I'll kill him off every play through, (okay not really i'll just call him Marx). Though why would they change it just for the sake of changing it? Marx already is a known name (not common but it is known) and from Leon it seems to be part of a theme, so i don't see them changing it unless they change the theme which is of course possible but then it wouldn't be Max unless it fit the theme. But yeah

I really want to play a game with Marx

While a quartet practised in the park.

If you get this you get an internet.

Edited by goodperson707

^ well no offence anyone who seriously believes that is either quite misinformed or an idiot. If you followed that line of logic everything is to blame for anything that somebody does cause we all can influence each other in some way.

Really now i want to make lyrics for "The day common sense died" Now which day that was I have no idea. maybe the day when that person sued macdonalds for coffee being hot.

I feel like the names of the Norhs will roughly stay the same, if only because they've got a Western theme to begin with. Biggest change I could see is Marx getting changed to Marcus and Leon getting a name change due to being so close to Lyon.

As for the Hoshidans, I feel like NA Nintendo will likely repeat what they did with characters from Cho'sin and add random apostrophes to people's names. While I sincerely hope they keep the Japanese feel of Hoshido, that might be what happens.

I really hope NA Nintendo gives Aqua a new name, the name 'Aqua' seems so plain in comparison to the others. I'm honestly hoping if they keep the water theme, they'll name her Mariana. Deepest point in the ocean seems fitting for such a mysterious character.

or Tiamo to Cordelia

Cordelia was a character in a Shakespearean play who had an unrequited love for another character. So while different from Tiamo, it still has the same feeling behind it.

Edited by TKHikaru13

I suspect Kamui is high on the list of names to be changed. Even if many of the other Hoshido characters keep their Japanese names (and I hope they do), it seems a poor fit for a character raised in Nohr, and the meaning of the name will be lost on an English-speaking audience. Plus it sounds weird, like Reflet did. Wouldn't be surprised if the localisation digs up another gender-neutral name in the tradition of Robin and Morgan.

Kinda expect Marx will change too. And would never be shocked by others.

I think Aqua and Marx are likely to be changed. Marina and Marks/Marcus, perhaps.

I suspect Kamui is high on the list of names to be changed. Even if many of the other Hoshido characters keep their Japanese names (and I hope they do), it seems a poor fit for a character raised in Nohr, and the meaning of the name will be lost on an English-speaking audience. Plus it sounds weird, like Reflet did.

I think Kamui should stay the same to reflect his not!Japanese origin. Giving him a western name would defeat the purpose of his character. Kamui is a real name, Reflet isn't and sounds awkward as a name so it's appropriate that it was changed.

As for the Hoshidans, I feel like NA Nintendo will likely repeat what they did with characters from Cho'sin and add random apostrophes to people's names. While I sincerely hope they keep the Japanese feel of Hoshido, that might be what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

I think Sir Blondie Who Has Lots of Facial Expressions will be something like Marks. Would be cool if he came out as Marx, but I don't know how well a Communist-themed country would go over in the US.

Nobody. The localization was outsouced to 8-4 (who I have my own gripes with).

I really hope NA Nintendo gives Aqua a new name, the name 'Aqua' seems so plain in comparison to the others. I'm honestly hoping if they keep the water theme, they'll name her Mariana. Deepest point in the ocean seems fitting for such a mysterious character.

8-4 did the localization for Awakening, and will likely return for if (as mixed of a blessing that is).

They should just 4Kids it. "Cammy must choose between long-lost brother Ryan and adoptive brother Max. Along the way, Cammy is joined by close allies Hannah, Tyler, Cassandra, Sally, Taquito, and many others as they fight against the evil King Gary."

Edited by Rovan