Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/12/fire-emblem-if-adds-easier-modes-and-no-longer-has-limited-weapon-usage/

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...

*hides*

EDIT: Pics or it didn't happen

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/fami1205-1.jpg

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/fami1205-2.jpg

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/fami1205-3.jpg

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/fami1205-4.jpg

SUPER EDIT

Main site report

Character details

Important details

• Phoenix Mode is selected alongside Casual and Classic mods.
  • Normal, Hard and Lunatic difficulties confirmed.
  • Dual/Pair Up system reworked. Now Attack Stance (guaranteed? follow up attack when adjacent) or Guard Strike (same as pair up, but only protects against enemy attacks?)
  • Hoshido royal family: Implied Ryouma > Hinoka > Avatar > Takumi > Sakura
  • Nohr royal family: Implied Marx > Camilla > Avatar > Leon > Elise
  • The royal family members have dragon blood too, not just Avatar.
Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Casual mode I'm fine with. It provides a more accessible way to get into Fire Emblem without fundamentally changing how the game plays. Phoenix mode on the other hand is basically an I win button. That is ridiculous.

I'll have to wait on the no weapon usage thing. Maybe it could work? Come to think of it wasn't there a FE that already got rid of weapon uses? I just really hope this game doesn't suck.

Wait a minute did they say every member of the royal family had enviroment affecting ability. That will prove for some interesting boss battles.

Seems very experimental. They're obviously trying something new and if they can balance it so that it's not ridiculously easy I am on board. Mixed feelings on phoenix mode but probably won't touch it unless doing a lunatic+ file given that lunatic will be the hardest mode to ever be in a fire emblem ever. In any case, could be interesting if they do it right. I am all for allowing accessibility as long as they make it work.

Casual mode I'm fine with. It provides a more accessible way to get into Fire Emblem without fundamentally changing how the game plays. Phoenix mode on the other hand is basically an I win button. That is ridiculous.

I'll have to wait on the no weapon usage thing. Maybe it could work? Come to think of it wasn't there a FE that already got rid of weapon uses? I just really hope this game doesn't suck.

Wait a minute did they say every member of the royal family had enviroment affecting ability. That will prove for some interesting boss battles.

Gaiden had unlimited use weapons and it worked fine there. Radiant Dawn also had infinite use bronze weapons. I honestly wouldn't mind a more traditonal RPGish take on equipment, Gaiden also had equipable shields and rings(some of which were completely ridiculous). So keep the Fire Emblem SRPG feel, but let us have equipable gear that isn't limited.

Does anyone know if this was confirmed by a credible source? Because in this article, it says you can't change your difficulty when we've gotten an interview earlier that said we could change our difficulty midgame in the Nohr campaign.

Does anyone know if this was confirmed by a credible source? Because in this article, it says you can't change your difficulty when we've gotten an interview earlier that said we could change our difficulty midgame in the Nohr campaign.

Well, technically it says you can change it, you just can't change it back.

Looking at some of the comments on these various sites depresses me regarding breakeable weapons.

"Oh no I have to actually manage my resources in a semi-intelligent way. God forbid I actually have to use my frontal lobes for something in a strategy game."

Also Phoenix Mode sounds completely retarded but I'm probably going to be marked as an elitist for saying that. Like, Casual Mode is enough. What's the point of Phoenix Mode?

I think if you look at it in proportion to Awakening, phoenix mode seems very stupid and game breaking, but this game is not Awakening. It could still be stupid and game breaking, not doubt, but surely there is a reason for the even more accessible difficulty, whether it be in balancing or mechanics. If is proving to treading new ground, no doubt about it. It is certainly a daring move.

Unlimited TMs in Pokémon were partly met with opposition, but then they turned out to be one of the best gameplay additions in years.
Therefore I'm cautiously optimistic that unlimited weapon uses might be the same case.

On the other hand those features feel like they're band-aid put over the open wounds that are the overcomplications in this game, like the different mission objectives in the Nohr path and enemies also being able to pair up.

Something tells me we're gonna die a lot in this game, hence the inclusion of Phoenix mode and NINE save slots.

I will save my opinion about unlimited weapon use until the game's out because I think there's a reason for it.

Edited by Ryo

Actually, given that this time around that there will be different objectives (at least in Nohr's case), Phoenix Mode could actually be something rather considerate. Imagine trying to defend a place with only one unit remaining and overwhelming numbers

Edited by Bacon

I really, REALLY hope that infinite weapon durability is a toggleable option rather than a feature of all modes. On another note, this article confirms that the blonde loli's name is Elise.

Gaiden had unlimited use weapons and it worked fine there. Radiant Dawn also had infinite use bronze weapons. I honestly wouldn't mind a more traditonal RPGish take on equipment, Gaiden also had equipable shields and rings(some of which were completely ridiculous). So keep the Fire Emblem SRPG feel, but let us have equipable gear that isn't limited.

Gaiden also didn't have money either. Or shops for that matter.

Gaiden's system worked because weapons were very hard to come by and they were sharing an equipment slot with shields and rings, so you had to decide what would be the most useful to use. I doubt this game is going to be that different.

Considering the way they handled weapon weight, general weapon balancing and Classic Mode in the last two games, I won't believe that they put some serious thought into that decision until I see some evidence.

Anyway, maintaining everyone's weapon durability in Awakening was definitely a pain. But it wouldn't have been such a pain if they didn't decide that they should spread all the weapons over dozens of shops with no particular pattern, that said shops should be randomly blocked by enemies and that they should get rid of the ability to buy multiple items at once like you could back in Radiant Dawn. (Seriously, why is Radiant Dawn the only game were you can do that? That game didn't even have Tonics or something similar.) So I don't think that making weapons unbreakable is the right lesson to draw from that.

Edited by BrightBow

Gaiden (and kinda 4) did infinite weapon use pretty well, so I'm not worried about that.

Actually I'm not bothered at all by phoenix mode. I'm scared and excited by it. The people at IS have shown themselves to not be completely and totally batshit insane, I've gotta wonder what the hell kind of difficulty this game is going to demonstrate where they feel the need to add a mode where the only way to lose is to experience a TOTAL PARTY WIPE ON THE SAME TURN, or maybe lose Kamui?

Looking at some of the comments on these various sites depresses me regarding breakeable weapons.

"Oh no I have to actually manage my resources in a semi-intelligent way. God forbid I actually have to use my frontal lobes for something in a strategy game."

Also Phoenix Mode sounds completely retarded but I'm probably going to be marked as an elitist for saying that. Like, Casual Mode is enough. What's the point of Phoenix Mode?

agree with you...

Also, we have confirmation of the Nohr sister's name which is Elise.

We also got confirmation that Takumi is the archer (Takumi is mentioned in the same vein as the other parallels, so it can't be anything else)

The infinite weapon uses thing doesn't shock me to much since we already suspected it. Phoenix mode, though, I honestly can't tell what IS was smoking when they came up with that idea.

Gaiden also didn't have money either. Or shops for that matter.

Gaiden's system worked because weapons were very hard to come by and they were sharing an equipment slot with shields and rings, so you had to decide what would be the most useful to use. I doubt this game is going to be that different.

Considering the way they handled weapon weight, general weapon balancing and Classic Mode in the last two games, I won't believe that they put some serious thought into that decision until I see some evidence.

Anyway, maintaining everyone's weapon durability in Awakening was definitely a pain. But it wouldn't have been such a pain if they didn't decide that they should spread all the weapons over dozens of shops with no particular pattern, that said shops should be randomly blocked by enemies and that they should get rid of the ability to buy multiple items at once like you could back in Radiant Dawn. (Seriously, why is Radiant Dawn the only game were you can do that? That game didn't even have Tonics or something similar.)

I'd be absolutely fine with having to hunt down the enemies that have stronger weapons, even let the Thieves steal again. You could put the stronger/legendary weapons in their own side chapter(s).

To the bolded, you didn't just abuse 50+ LCK Armsthrift units?