Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

holy fuck you babies, i've already gotten seven reports about this thread while i was at work

please keep things civil?? please????

I'm sorry for starting this

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK i worked through all of them

MAJOR RULE REMINDERS:

1: don't double post

2: don't spam (qft is spam, as are all of its derivatives)

3: don't get so e-mad about a goddamn video game

as you were

Hory sheet this thread.

Honestly, Phoenix Mode is just a word right now; we have no idea what it means. It doesn't tell us anything about how hard the game is. I'm glad that there's (technically) 9 difficulty levels to choose from. Who knows, maybe it's an excuse to make the game harder. Until we know the context surrounding Phoenix Mode, I don't see much reason to argue about it.

Also no durability actually sounds really interesting. Maybe this is a sign that weapons can't be bought en masse (akin to FE2 and 4), and it's a new kind of resource management

Heck, Mass Effect 3 practically had a movie mode, but NO ONE complained about that.

Yes, they did. Holy shit did they complain.

Oh wait I mean "Oh no they've added a mode and I'm going to act like I'm forced to use it even though I'm not and a mechanic changed which would effect a different entry in the series some way so I'm assuming nothing else changed even though they clearly have...grrr CASUALS!"

This but unironically, how dare IS add completely optional content in an attempt to appeal to more people so they can get more money and make more and maybe even better games in the future? Those fuckers.

Unless it comes with some sort of caveat ... I really can't imagine someone needing Phoenix over Casual.

You underestimate how shit some people are at this kind of game.

What have I done?

Don't worry. If you hadn't posted it, someone else would. This thread was inevitable.

Here's a bigger problem, they once again did not include a maniac mode before Lunatic.

If you consider Lunatic modes BS difficulty, then you are just bad. How many people have gone through these modes with no trouble?

If a game requires either a guide or trial and error it's BS difficulty, hence my I wanna be the guy comparison.

That and you're relying on some wonky RNG (And for some reason in Normal mode it's similar to FE8 RNG while in Harder modes there's a lot more things you'd expect from FE6 RNG).

I still haven't really seen anyone say who Phoenix mode is supposed to attract to the series. Assuming it's the easiest mode.

I mean if it's supposed to be for players who like experimenting with the game that's a different story, but I sort of doubt they would actually take that into account when thinking up new modes.

Thanks to the durability mechanics, I will no longer have to wait until the final chapter of the game in order to feel comfortable using legendary weapons.

Woo!

Edited by Esme

I have to say I'm actually a bit surprised by the amount of people who are okay with casual mode but bothered by phoenix mode. Many of you called those of us who begged the question of where the line was to be drawn on accessability to be acting in bad faith. I would have thought there would have been more consensus after such a focused dismissal, but it looks like this is practically an even larger topic of contention than casual mode was.

I'd hesitate to call those folk hypocrital neccessarily, but it is pretty interesting nonetheless.

Hey now, I acknowledged it. I came to the realization that how I feel about Phoenix is how you feel about casual. Still, I do think a line can be drawn between losing characters and gaining them back post chapter as opposed to literally the next turn.

I mean, it's easy enough to see what casual was for; a non negligible amount of people were put off by perma death. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what Phoenix mode is for. People who are put off by the concept of characters retreating when they reach 0 HP? If someone is so uninterested in the gameplay and only wants the story to the point that they want something like Phoenix mode, then it's probably better to save the money and watch the game on YouTube.

it might make lunatic more accessible which is pretty interesting as on normal your units are far stronger than the enemies and i find that having the enemies able break your ranks as easily as they can break wind (even though you come back next turn) is its own reward.

Edited by goodperson707

Infinite warp! Infinite rescue!

So excited!!!!!!

Just wait until enemy spam berserk, silence, sleep and healing staves in mass. Not. EXCITING. AT. ALL.

For the better part, finally I will have the balls to use legendary weapons. I ended FE6 with Sword of the Seal being used twice only, on the Dark Dragon.

So I am in the group that will NEVER play casual mode myself, but is glad it was in to attract new fans. What I don't get is, what's the point of Phoenix mode? Is casual too hard? Has anyone ever had difficulties with casual besides maybe on lunatic +

Just wait until enemy spam berserk, silence, sleep and healing staves in mass. Not. EXCITING. AT. ALL.

For the better part, finally I will have the balls to use legendary weapons. I ended FE6 with Sword of the Seal being used twice only, on the Dark Dragon.

Holy shit, that's scary.

>enemies with infinite brave weapons

>enemies with infinite killing edges

jesus christ

Phoenix Mode, interesting concept that we can probably use to test strategies and various supports and stuff we wouldn't want to try in a normal run. Like it can be used for concepts of tactics.

I for one am absolutely against the weapon durability system being gone, I ranted at full to people on skype so I won't make an ass of myself here, but I honestly feel it was a huge mistake and removes an element of tactics, but I'm willing to see what they do with it. I mean it sorta works (looks at Gaiden), but I do feel we lost yet another core concept since weapon weight. However, I'll wait to see.

Edited by Jedi

Holy shit, that's scary.

jesus christ

Tbh I'm wondering more about the 3-10 tomes and the status effect staves.

I know Gaiden had the infinate weapon durability thing, but I can't see that working on an awakening engine. I mean, I may be wrong, but didn't they say Nohr has limited chances to get gold compared to Hoshido? Meaning there is gold? Meaning you can buy weapons?

Hey now, I acknowledged it. I came to the realization that how I feel about Phoenix is how you feel about casual. Still, I do think a line can be drawn between losing characters and gaining them back post chapter as opposed to literally the next turn.

I mean, it's easy enough to see what casual was for; a non negligible amount of people were put off by perma death. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what Phoenix mode is for. People who are put off by the concept of characters retreating when they reach 0 HP? If someone is so uninterested in the gameplay and only wants the story to the point that they want something like Phoenix mode, then it's probably better to save the money and watch the game on YouTube.

I wasn't really trying to single you out, was just a general statement.

Really though, I find it slightly difficult to understand your position, or rather, the position you and others seem to have. Either experiences and potential players cannot be denied as long as they are optional (maximum accessability), or they can. If they can, then what exactly is the reasoning for it? I mean, sure, I drew a line in the sand, but as I explained, it was on my interpretation on the principle of the importance of permadeath. I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from people trying to sort out their thoughts on Phoenix Mode though, so I'm not sure whether or not it's a permadeath issue, or something to do with difficulty, insulting the playerbase, strategy, or what.

Basically, what reasoning sustains Casual Mode is fine but Phoenix Mode isn't? Obviously the latter is more extreme, but if the objection against it is the same as my own against Casual Mode, then that would indicate that you would side against Casual Mode on principle, but pragmatically accept it. Which I was not the impression I got from many people.

Tbh I'm wondering more about the 3-10 tomes and the status effect staves.

there were no status staves in awakening though, and mire having 10 uses already and for an enemy who has a tome that means he can't counter attack 10 turns of attacks is pretty darn close to infinite.

Thanks to the durability mechanics, I will no longer have to wait until the final chapter of the game in order to feel comfortable using legendary weapons.

Woo!

I always thought that legendary weapons should have infinite uses, like Ragnell. It seems kinds weird that the most powerful weapons in the world break before a simple iron sword that any apprentice could make. I understand the aspect from the gameplay/balancing side, but it still never sat right with me.

Holy shit, that's scary.

jesus christ

Brave and Killer weaponry not having durability for the enemy hardly matters. In fact, durability almost never mattered for the enemy (pretty much just siege tomes, status staves and FE10 Corrosion), as they'd usually be dead long before their weapons would break.