Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

Just remember, Phoenix Mode is optional so you're not allowed to complain about it.

...But both of these are both dumb. Nine save files is cool but not really noteworthy in any way; Square has had 99 for like forever.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah, the big thing here for me is that M!Kamui will be voiced by Shimazaki Nobunaga, which is something I speculated a few months ago from hearing M!Kamui say one word.

I was also correct on Konishi Katsuyuki as Marx, but Nakamura Yuuichi as Ryouma? I couldn't hear that at all.

My seiyuu hype just blew up.

Is Classic Mode back, or do I have to get a petition going? The heck with it, a petition is going. INFINITE WEAPONS USAGE AND PHOENIX MODE? It's like feplus predicted in that old Casual thread too... Honestly, say what you will about Casual Mode, Phoenix Mode is dumb.

I'm interested in how the article says "royal characters" can use Dragon Vein. So its not Kamui exclusive? And that includes royals on both sides? Which seems strange because only one side is biologically related to him/her, so why would the Nohr royal line have that ability too?

Might as well turn phoenix mode into a heaven and hell mode. All units revived at the beginning of your next turn, but all of them die on one hit.

Phoenix mode sounds pretty pointless. I don't understand how anyone could have trouble beating a map in Classic. Units are already very powerful, as the game is designed such that they can all survive anyway. Even if you suck or make a massive tactical mistake I don't see how you'd lose more than 3 or 4 units. The army should be large enough such that even with 2 or 3 units left you can still get to the boss and beat them. Normal Casual was already pretty much unloseable.

Even if its optional Phoenix mode is just very odd. A waste of time for IS developers at the very least.

Unlimited weapon usage isn't a huge issue, as weapons can still be balanced without it. Of course, if you only have one Steel Sword between Ryouma, Kamui, Kazahana and other units you will have to choose carefully who to give it too. Challenge can still be present as well from the difficulty of getting a Steel Sword in the first place. In which case the task of adequately equipping the army could actually prove to be interesting.

Phoenix mode doesn't really bother me. Nice for those who just want to breeze through the game, without fear of challenge, I suppose. Removing the weapon usage is, in my opinion, kind of silly if most weapons end up being buyable/chucked at you in excess. Maybe Nohr's claim of "limited funds" basically means, "we're giving you next to nothing. Enjoy!"

I'm interested in how the article says "royal characters" can use Dragon Vein. So its not Kamui exclusive? And that includes royals on both sides? Which seems strange because only one side is biologically related to him/her, so why would the Nohr royal line have that ability too?

Probably because they're actually related to the evil dragon (those western devils) the whole time, or something like that.

Classic mode still exists so having more options like Phoenix mode does NOT take away from anyone's enjoyment.

So glad weapons are unlimited. No matter how many times I play a FE game, I always finish it with most of my best weapons still untouched because I was saving them for later.

Classic mode still exists so having more options like Phoenix mode does NOT take away from anyone's enjoyment.

So glad weapons are unlimited. No matter how many times I play a FE game, I always finish it with most of my best weapons still untouched because I was saving them for later.

THIS. Now I can finally use more legendary weapons than just Falchion and Ragnell/anything in the finale of Radiant Dawn.

Probably because they're actually related to the evil dragon (those western devils) the whole time, or something like that.

Huh, I guess thats plausible. But then how come Kamui can dragonstone and they can't (theoretically)? This game needs to come out and answer our questions already lol.

Huh, I guess thats plausible. But then how come Kamui can dragonstone and they can't (theoretically)? This game needs to come out and answer our questions already lol.

Maybe they all can! But yeah, it'd be great if this game did come out and answer all of our questions haha.

Hm yeah, if weapon durability is gone permanently that's actually bad news. It would show they're not averse to removing features, like classic mode.

At least the Terrain effects sound interesting. But given how close we are to the release of the game, I feel like their is a shortage of actually interesting mechanics. We have a promise of choices that so far only amount to choosing how to spend real world money, an supposedly overworked pair-up system with no specifics revealed yet, and now Fire Emblem's version of the Golden Leaf got itself an even more powerful sibling. And we got save slots, I guess. Not very optimistic about what's left to be revealed when they feel the need to talk about save slots of all things.

Edited by BrightBow

Hm yeah, if weapon durability is gone permanently that's actually bad news. It would show they're not averse to removing features, like classic mode.

I don't want to say that classic mode isn't removable, but essentially it isn't removable. Like changing weapon use limits I would guess is more of a purposeful change in the gameplay mechanic that probably has to do with how they structured the game in terms of shops/drops, etc. Removing classic mode basically takes out a huge amount of choice on how the player decides to play the game. There would be no reason to take it out, not even from a mechanical/gamelpay perspective or development perspective. Like they just aren't even close to the same thing in their practicality and functionality within the game, weapon uses and classic mode, that is.

bOVBnqZ.png

o1J4Lvt.png

So really, all we have to do is prepare for a shitstorm.

Which you apparently really want to see given that you posted this image on just about every single thread on this Board in order to provoke just that. I thought that was the kind of thing you hate about the community and now you are that desperate to start something?

Edited by BrightBow

bOVBnqZ.png

o1J4Lvt.png

So really, all we have to do is prepare for a shitstorm.

Honestly, I don't think Phoenix Mode is the real take away here. It seems the majority oppose the removal of durability, especially when it directly affects us. I will admit, I took my anti-Casual arguments way too far in the last thread, but now this is a design choice that directly impacts me. Phoenix mode can stay, but maybe Iron Man Mode to compensate? :)

bOVBnqZ.pngo1J4Lvt.pngSo really, all we have to do is prepare for a shitstorm.

This is fucking stupid no matter how you cut it though. Casual mode at least has the argument of getting people who are simply put off by permadeath. Who is Phoenix Mode supposed to appeal to? People who would probably hate strategy games as a whole? It's a waste of time to implement.

Seriously, fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Edited by Dark Sage

Honestly, I don't think Phoenix Mode is the real take away here. It seems the majority oppose the removal of durability, especially when it directly affects us. I will admit, I took my anti-Casual arguments way too far in the last thread, but now this is a design choice that directly impacts me. Phoenix mode can stay, but maybe Iron Man Mode to compensate? :)

Honestly, weapon durability is something that was something we pretty much saw in the screenshots on Play-Asia right when the second trailer came out.

So I saw it coming way before.

Phoenix Mode I think is there specifically for the people who want to play Nohr but aren't at the FE veteran level.

Nohr campaign must be at least as masochistic as Lunatic then.

This is fucking stupid no matter how you cut it though. Casual mode at least has the argument of getting people who are simply put off by permadeath. Who is Phoenix Mode supposed to appeal to? People who would probably hate strategy games as a whole? It's a waste of time to implement.

Seriously, fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

FE is changing.

And if it's something most people hate, so be it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm excited for no weapon loss. Here's why: It's not making gameplay easier, its just changing the dynamic.

Sure, weapons will be with you forever, but also consider that weapons will probably be harder to come by. This changes the dynamic from 'which weapon should I use' to 'who do I give my stronger weapons too'. Sure, it's fun to give your strongest character the strongest weapon and watch them sweep everyone, but then your back line is weaker and possibly more vulnerable, especially in the Nohr campaign.

So yeah, probably no toggle feature, because that would probably mean you would have next to no weapons the whole game, so it would pretty much be a pointless feature.

And literally no bad happens from phoenix anyways. If people play as the super-casual-pussy-scrubs you guys seem to hate with a burning passion, then how does that hurt literally anyone? It's like being given the option between 3 awesome deserts, but one of them is chocolate and you don't like chocolate, so you demand the option be taken off the menu.

Edited by MajorMajora

The issue with phoenix mode just seems to be that it just makes the entire gameplay aspect redundant if you can just zerg rush everything knowing that parring having a nuke dropped on you, you caan just keep swinging till all the enemies are dead. And if that's the case, why even bother paying for the game in the first place?

And if that's the case, why even bother paying for the game in the first place?

I mean, it's kind of obvious Phoenix Mode makes the game a joke...

That's the selling point?

I make Awakening a joke with DLC.

Or with hacks.

To screw around?

Edited by shadowofchaos