Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

Did you seriously just do that. What was even the point of all that speech about the "community" some time ago?

I don't even. Whatever.

I admit that wasn't the best move, in hindsight.

People get so completely alienated that they think Classic is going to be gone.

If you've seen me on the forums, I've had my moments of being an asshole.

You were the only person to post in the "Return of Casual" thread in like a week or so. So what reactions are you talking about?

I had another tab open looking at the thread. I left to cook breakfast, and realized I posted in there instead of here.

Again, I will admit, that was simply an assholish move.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some people difficulty isn't the end all be all of what makes games enjoyable...? Like the game can still be enjoyable without permadeath and even when it is as easy as freakin' possible probably for certain players with grinding and unlimited money and OP characters, and I'm not sure why that is difficult for some people to understand. Well I get why its difficult for people to understand, but I wish they would chill for a minute and remove themselves from their own opinion for a minute to try and understand things from a different perspective. The core gameplay is still fun, whether youre in it for the killer difficulty strategy or not.

I think the whole 'unlimited usage weapons' thing could be interesting if they all worked like Kamui's personal sword - as in they either lowered a stat and/or raised a stat.

Imagine Killing Edges that like lowered Luck a great deal or Armorslayers that basically killed your speed - that could be interesting strategically.

Phoenix Mode is pretty dumb though. If you don't want to use strategy why play a goddamn strategy game?

I like the sound of that. I doubt it'll happen though

For people who want to experience the story without feeling challenged and/or spending a lot of time on it? It's a nice addition for those who don't want to play seriously all the time

soon IS will include an Auto-Play mode that literally plays the game for you

no-one dies or anything you just get constant level-ups and then the stage ends

I would still buy that just for the waifus...

You do know that Mario games already have something very much like that in their games, don't you...

Luckily enough if you do activate those helping AIs, you'll usually get a mark that says you did it the easy way and even some Mario games will block you from ever getting that 100% completion aesthetics if you do so until you complete it normal way.

Edited by kingddd

I really wouldn't disagree.It's just people should just ignore the mode if they're not going to use it.The only reason I posted those memes in this thread and in the last one was already seeing the reactions.

You know, just because you admit you're an obnoxious twat doesn't make it ok to be an obnoxious twat. Actually it makes you even more of an obnoxious twat.

I realize I'm being rather crude here, but I'm fucking tired of you entering these topics trying to start shit so you can lecture people about what bad fans they are or some shit. You do this constantly and I'm appalled barely anybody has called you out on it.

Okay, so I actually know the type of person that this mode is intended for. I live next to 2 of them, in fact.

Some people are bad at games. Some people are REALLY bad at games. Some of the things we take for granted they haven't picked up on yet. Young people, people unfamiliar with the medium. There are a lot. Of course we don't register these people, since they don't generally post on forums. But they exist in massive numbers, and they sure as hell buy games and play them at the lowest difficulty because they're just looking for a good time. I saw someone have trouble on 2.0 KI:U and have to quit because it was too hard. Call them bad, insult them all you want, but they exist. And saying they shouldn't be playing is like saying someone who doesn't have the same refined tastes in food as you should just starve.

You know, just because you admit you're an obnoxious twat doesn't make it ok to be an obnoxious twat. Actually it makes you even more of an obnoxious twat.

I realize I'm being rather crude here, but I'm fucking tired of you entering these topics trying to start shit so you can lecture people about what bad fans they are or some shit. You do this constantly and I'm appalled barely anybody has called you out on it.

Then I will admit my mistakes.

I have my moments when I am an elitist asshole in a different way.

Obviously, you saw it just now and a bunch of times in the Return of Casual thread.

Actually if you just even look at the topics I've started, you'll see some pure stupidity in there just from the titles, let alone the content.

Edited by shadowofchaos

@strawman; with Phoenix Mode, is there even any point to the gameplay, though? It's like a Mario stage with no obstacles, there's almost no way to lose. I mean, even the King of Casuals thinks Phoenix is a joke mode.

@Major; Fire Emblem is not the only game in existence, though. I think if people want a meat lovers pizza with no meat, they may enjoy a vegetarian pizza.

Edited by Baldrick

Okay, so I actually know the type of person that this mode is intended for. I live next to 2 of them, in fact.

Some people are bad at games. Some people are REALLY bad at games. Some of the things we take for granted they haven't picked up on yet. Young people, people unfamiliar with the medium. There are a lot. Of course we don't register these people, since they don't generally post on forums. But they exist in massive numbers, and they sure as hell buy games and play them at the lowest difficulty because they're just looking for a good time. I saw someone have trouble on 2.0 KI:U and have to quit because it was too hard. Call them bad, insult them all you want, but they exist. And saying they shouldn't be playing is like saying someone who doesn't have the same refined tastes in food as you should just starve.

Fair enough, but not sure about young people. The games rated CERO C and potentially ESRB T-M.

They might as well do this. I'll honestly defend casual to the death but this new mode is really dumb. Just who is this mode for? My infant cousin?

Phoenix mode is literally the opposite of perma death. Lol how the fuck did we end up with a permalife mode?

Whatever. I'm super bummed about lack of weapon durability. Unlike Phoenix, it's not optional.

Okay Rey made a mistake and he admitted he was wrong. That enough is something to respect him for. Let's stop witch hunting the guy just because he's well-known here.

Believe it or not, everyone acts like an asshole sometimes. You do. I do. He does. Let it go.

Fair enough, but not sure about young people. The games rated CERO C and potentially ESRB T-M.

Yeah, believe it or not, that doesn't stop people. And not everyone who has trouble with games are young. Some are just inexperienced.

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost

Edited by Integrity

Yeah, believe it or not, that doesn't stop people. And not everyone who has trouble with games are young. Some are just inexperienced.

I'm not denying that, but Children are not the Target Demographic for the game. There is still validity in the inexperienced market, but I'm admittedly perplexed by the mode as a whole.

Edited by DeoGame

You're a bit late there, m8

Awakening already had auto mode and i'm pretty sure you could beat normal/casual only using it...

The only thing i'm worried about is them removing classic mode, but they wouldn't do that. OR WOULD THEY?? Hehe

Edited by Nobody

For some people difficulty isn't the end all be all of what makes games enjoyable...? Like the game can still be enjoyable without permadeath and even when it is as easy as freakin' possible probably for certain players with grinding and unlimited money and OP characters, and I'm not sure why that is difficult for some people to understand. Well I get why its difficult for people to understand, but I wish they would chill for a minute and remove themselves from their own opinion for a minute to try and understand things from a different perspective. The core gameplay is still fun, whether youre in it for the killer difficulty strategy or not.

My fairly basic perspective can be summed up as: IS gets more money from new people who don't care about strategy -> possibly, this series progressively becomes less and less about strategy.

Considering how accessible the people at Nintendo have been trying to make their games lately though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about Phoenix mode. Still, I'm definitely not a fan of it. How it affects the playerbase and this game's sales is bound to be interesting, though.

Not at all worried about Phoenix mode, maybe it will easy enough that i can get my super casual friends to play fire emblem.

Weapon durability has got me somewhat worried though as it could be super broken or a pain in the ass

My fairly basic perspective can be summed up as: IS gets more money from new people who don't care about strategy -> possibly, this series progressively becomes less and less about strategy.

Considering how accessible the people at Nintendo have been trying to make their games lately though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about Phoenix mode. Still, I'm definitely not a fan of it. How it affects the playerbase and this game's sales is bound to be interesting, though.

No. Its just becoming about more than just strategy.

Just because someone is having fun in a way you don't like to doesn't mean they shouldn't have fun.