Might or Magic

I'v seen many different ways people play out their strategies and I've noticed some who use almost all magic and some who just use weapons.

so I personally prefer might but, I want to see what makes one better than the other.

I prefer magic because most enemies have awful resistance compared to their defense. I play with a full team, so I still use more physical than magical units, but magic is my main killer.

The types of physical units are way more diverse than those of mages, so I typically train 1 mage and a bunch of physical combattants.

I tend to prefer physical units over magical ones because magic units have a frailty to them. I do use magical units though, but the diversity when it comes to physical units is better for me. The hybrid classes of Tactician, Dread Knight, Dark Knight, etc. are really nice though.

I train one or two magical nukes to delete an enemy, but there are more physical enemies, and mages have bad defense. In addition, physicals tend to have higher HP, and enemy magic users tend to use low might tomes, because tomes generally are weaker to balance the fact that they strike res.

Edited by momogeek2141

If you ignore the specific units, magic>>>might most of the time. Magic units tend to not be front-line material, though, so typically you need some might. Awakening would be the exception here, I suppose.

Obviously, both are useful and have their pros and cons, but I generally prefer magic. It has the immediate and continued access to 1-2 range, which allows you to at least counter most things, and it means you can get to use something like thoron rather than a hand axe or javelin. In addition, I like their ability to gain staffs upon promotion and act as a healer as well.

Honestly, I usually end up using the units I like whether they be might or magic. I don't believe one is severely over-balanced against the other.

• 2 months later...

I tend to use physical units the most because I prefer front-line attackers, a role which magic users are generally unsuited for.

Of course in Awakening, Nosferatu exists, which generally makes it a non-issue.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

You are given more physical units than magical units, so it favors physical units a bit.

However, I am going to go ahead and say that I use as many casters as I reasonably can. I don't care if they aren't frontline material or if I have to wait a bit longer to promote the last mage. Always having ranged capabilities and almost never having bad combat parameters sans like... Erk/Lugh getting screwed is amazing. Magic in general is awesome. There are very few mages in the FE series that simply have bad speed, and the few that do (Rhys) still have enough to avoid being doubled. All the rest have enough evasion to not get hit consistently. Combine this with high Resistance for other casters and status staves, generally carrying teams with their awesome utility, and being easy to adapt in any situation from big plains to small fort skirmishes, and you've got a legitimate archetype.

Some of the physical units are so boring to me. Very usable and often times good, but boring. I do like to pair them with caster units so they can mow down opponents together, but given a choice, I will generally prefer just sticking to the caster eventually. In Awakening, I will be the one to have Robin stay caster, have melee units team up with casters and support, turn everyone who can hold a tome into something that uses magic, and only keep around the likes of Vaike, Lon'qu, and Gregor if they're treating one of my mages right.

In Radiant Dawn, I'm the guy that actually promotes Laura in part 1; I even support her with Nolan or Aran depending on how I am feeling. I bring no less than 4 magic units to the final chapter, including Laura. Did I mention my Laura banner on the website? Did I mention me recording gameplay of Radiant Dawn and showcasing Laura kicking ass?

I am partial to bow units and fliers, so it is not rare for me to run a team that consists of nothing but casters, pegasus knights, maybe a wyvern, maybe a Sniper/Nomadic Trooper, and the lord. I absolutely love desert maps because I have nothing to lose from them. My least favorite part of FE is the early game where mages get wrecked easily. If I am benching a magic user, it's either for ranked purposes or because they've actually wronged me somehow. Don't ask how a video game character can wrong me.

Magic for life.

Edited by Brinzy

Magic in general over might.

My army generally consists of;

1 Mage

1 Dark/Light using Mage

1 Healer

1 Axe user

1 Swordmaster

1 Cavaliers

All Lords in the game

I usually pick out extras with depending who has the highest stats.

I generally use more physical attackers due to enemy phase survivability, but what seals the deal more for me in units is Speed. If a unit can't double, I won't use it. This means I pretty much never use Knights (except FE10 Knights because lol @ Meg and Gatrie's Speed), most Fighters, and on the magical side certain Mages (FE13 Ricken, FE10 Ilyana, and more I can't remember rn).

I try to use a diverse cast, but I generally use as much Magic users (and flying units) as possible.

That means as least one for each weapons type plus my mounted healer in game that have Magic triangle, and lots of mixed units in Awakening.

Gaining healing utility is just the thing that makes them better providing a team of mage will eventually be virtually impossible to kill in the GBA games.