Need advice on buying two games

Five5

Looking for other peoples opinion for two games.

Is the new puzzle and dragons worth getting for 3ds when there is an free ios game and many imitators. not interested in the mario half.

I felt pretty indifferent about what was in the demo for steam mechanically and didn't like the design. I need to know game gets much better in terms of strategic diversity.

Puzzles and Dragons looks like a match-3 puzzler with RPG elements... it looks kinda interesting, but if you're unsure then I would just recommend Bangai-O Spirits instead.

You not only gave Five5 a non-answer, you also moved goalposts to another game entirely.
Bravo!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, Puzzle and Dragons Z does a lot of neat things on his own and has enough content to be a good stand-alone retail game.
Really, the one reason the Mario one is bundled in is because PaD doesn't do so well over here, so they're trying to convince people to try it with the Mario license.
And who knows, after having your time's worth with Z you might eventually develop a craving for Mario PaD?

As for S.T.E.A.M., I'm not much further than I was in the demo, and I liked it back then, and whatever gripes I had are overshadowed with the little things that weren't in the demo now. You'll have to look for yourself if you'd rather get the game for those little touches or even better, ask someone else who's further in the game.

Edited by Ike-Mike

You not only gave Five5 a non-answer, you also moved goalposts to another game entirely.

Bravo!

Thank you. Just giving my thoughts, even though they might not be helpful. Perhaps it would be best to view the Metacritic blurbs, as I always find them useful. Let's take the top, middle, and bottom blurbs and see what they have to say.

"This double feature from GungHO and Nintendo is really a treasure waiting to be discovered, especially in its combat and exploration elements. More beautiful than the iOS and Android versions, and incredibly more fun to play." - GamesVillage.it

Sounds pretty good!

"This pack with two great games brings to the West the powerful and successful Puzzle & Dragons series. There aren't microtransactions. You'll find a deep and addictive gameplay with Super Mario or with the lovely dragons. Good fuel for Nintendo 3DS these months." - Meristation

Not bad! Not bad!

"Puzzle & Dragons is one of the better free-to-play mobile games, but while removing microtransactions may make it more fair it also makes it less interesting." - Metro GameCentral

What does that even mean?

OK, now let's try Bangai-O Spirits.

"Playing Bangai-O Spirits is a pleasure. If I could, I'd play it for every waking moment." - Eurogamer

This guy knows what he's talking about.

"While this game is very insane at times with an ‘on and off again’ difficulty which humbled my poor old fingers at the best of times, it is very addictive and fun. The replay value is very high especially with the level editor which is fun and such a great addition. If the overall online Bangai-O DS community supports the level editor this is one game that will be more then worth the price you pay for it." - GameFocus

Levels are shared via the DS microphone, so Wi-Fi is not required, meaning you can still share levels today.

"If Treasure's name wasn't attached to this product, I seriously doubt that it would have ever found a publisher, let alone the warm reception most other review sites have given it." - GameCritics

As someone who played the game and knows it well, I like to pretend this review doesn't exist.

Would you rather have... a match-3 puzzle-RPG, or a missile-puzzle-shooter unlike anything you've ever experienced? Take your pick.

As for Codname S.T.E.A.M., I say go for it. The main criticism is the slow enemy turns, and a patch was released that lets you fast forward through them at x2 speed (x3 for New 3DS). I've only played the demo, but I think it's a sound purchase. By the way, Valkyria Chronicles has very similar gameplay, so you might also be interested in that.

^ Can't find Bangai-O anywhere but I've decided to give puzzle & dragons a go.

You can get Bangai-O Spirits on Amazon for about $10 (with shipping).