Guardians of Valeira (SRPG Studio)

Ayra

TLDR: Get the game at https://mega.co.nz/#!9w50RTqQ!3FSP0cQwtM3g1Mp90gZuhDBTiTzdZ6YC12mHGaQ1BJI

Instructions: Unzip, run Game.exe, enjoy!

FAQ:

- What's this? This is single-stage game I have made in SRPG Studio. It's not the longest or most complex Fire Emblem-like chapter / hack, but it should prove to be an interesting but fair challenge to players. See some screenshots below!

post-14812-0-28243300-1431913141_thumb.png

post-14812-0-68915500-1431913147_thumb.png

post-14812-0-25007700-1431913150_thumb.png

post-14812-0-77176600-1431913153_thumb.png

- What's SRPG Studio? It's a new Japanese software whose purpose is to allow the creation of Fire Emblem-like games. You can easily add your own assetes/animations/ect but this project uses only the default assets. Website is http://srpgstudio.com/

- What's the controls? Beside the arrow keys to move the cursor, there's just three keys you have to use

Z: Select units/actions, allows to view weapon/skill details when in unit menu, advance text.

X: Open unit menu, cancel selection, fast-forward battles, skip text quickly.

Space: Completely skip the enemy phase and dialogs

- Anything differences I should know with Fire Emblem? A few:

A unit cannot double without the continue skill (Cont. At., red slashing sword icon), and even with the skill you require more speed than the enemy. Yudistra and Kriel are your units that have the Continue skill.

When you select a unit, their attack range displays only the equipped weapon threat range. This is only a major issue with Taya who has a siege tome, though do check for javelins/hand axes.

Bows do not have an attack bonus by default against flying units. Kriel's Wing bow does, however.

- What kind of events are there? Cutscenes, recruiting NPCs, rewards, shops, as well as enemy AI pattern for a few units that change depending on certain conditions (namely if you've recruited an NPC or not). The engine is very flexible: however every single thing is in Japanese. While there's far more available than what I'm currently using, the language barrier is very large so progress is slow and I have acquired the application only recently. With that said, the application is extremely user-friendly besides the language.

- I see some Japanese text here and there, how come? I've been able to remove the vast majority of Japanese text, but some still remains. Ongoing process!

- Will you put this game up for Ragefest 4? It's tempting, but it's not really designed to make player rage (though there's very little time leeway for the player).

- Will you make a longer, more complete game with SRPG Studio? Not at present, no. I already have multiple on-going projects that takes precedence over this. It's just that when I have seen this application, I thought it was way too cool not to at least a little something for it. I figured it would also possibly make people aware of this tool and maybe encourage a few people to make their stages with it if they find it more convenient than the hacks.

Again, game download link is: https://mega.co.nz/#!9w50RTqQ!3FSP0cQwtM3g1Mp90gZuhDBTiTzdZ6YC12mHGaQ1BJI

Please give the game a try! Any and all comments are very welcome!

Edited by Ayra

Well, in fact, there are more useful keys than those concluded in the ReadMe of that tool.

A/S--Change selected unit

C--Display detailed info.

Up/Down--Changethe selected unit in the UnitMenu

Up/Down/Left/Right--Change the stuff which you need to view the help

In addition, Z=Enter, X=Ctrl, Space=F12

Edited by MisakaMikoto

This one you do is super good, there's like nothing to complain about aside from the slugghishness the battle scenes give (but that's maybe the game engine). Oh but the mage battle scene is super smooth tho. I enjoyed this, the difficulty is really up my taste. Hope you make more. ^.^

That was actually pretty good, and it has me more interested in SRPG Studio than before. It seems like a good tool for making Fire Emblem-style games, especially considering you made this without understanding the whole thing... some parts of the system bug me a bit, but they're pretty minor and probably fixable with some scripting or tweaking of things. Those two-frame attack animations are a far cry from games like Blazing Sword, but still... I'm hoping we'll see an English version of (or patch for) SRPG Studio sooner or later. I'm not so confident in my ability to use it without one.

Anyway. SRPG Studio aside, good work on the game.

I just downloaded it, please tell me there's a way to change controls. These are absolutely awful

Edit: Controller worked, so never mind.

The game is choppy, in that '12 fps' kind of way. The battles are funny because characters just kinda jerk around. BUT, if skills are easy to add, I certainly don't mind playing it. It's a great game engine overall, certainly not on the level of FEXNA that I can see but I can tell it has its own pluses and minuses. FE4/5-style text system is neat, even if I personally prefer GBA. It seems to have lots of classes (Anyone count how many in the editor?) so unit diversity is swell. Yeah, I kinda wanna try making a ragefest entry with this. Maybe it could even help with FEXNA, give us ideas on how to make it better.

...I'll use my FE mugs though, just because I prefer those. Anytime you release an english fix for it, PM me bud.

Edited by Klokinator

Thank you for the comments everyone!

Yukihirou: Thanks! I was a bit unsure about the difficulty: I wanted to give a strict time limit to the player but not have something rage-worthy. There's some leeway (For example, even with the worst possible luck, Zywack is going to survive turn 2 at 2HP if you finish off one of the attackers and he'll use his elixir then), but there's not a lot of free time to save both Zywack and Brienne and get rid of the non-boss hawks. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

MisakaMikoto: I knew about the Enter key, but to be honest I wasn't aware of the other ones. Thanks!

Regarding English: Unfortunately, all I could translate is the dictionary for the game. This means that every single thing in SRPG Studio itself is still in Japanese. It's fine for the player since they only see the English but it doesn't help at all for actually developing games/hacks. Besides the language, SRPG Studio is incredibly easy to work with and it's pretty smooth. If that helps, I can share my project (there's nothing secret in there) since it probably includes the dictionary translations I made, but I'm honestly not sure which file that's saved in.

Regarding animations: it's the definitive weakpoint I admit. You can add more frames if you want (The hawk rider movement has 15 frames total instead of 12 for example so it's slightly less choppy) which would help a little bit. Most attack animations are actually about 6 frames, but the first three are usually pretty similar (a "ready to swing" animation). It really was based more on the SNES animations than the GBA ones. I think that for attacks, with some effort you could make something pretty comparable to the SNES games. However, the movement I'm a bit more concerned with. There's about equivalent amount of movement frames in SRPG Studio and the SNES games, but the difference is that they simply disappear and reappear in the following frame on the other location, while the SNES games "slides" the frame around.

Regarding English: Unfortunately, all I could translate is the dictionary for the game. This means that every single thing in SRPG Studio itself is still in Japanese. It's fine for the player since they only see the English but it doesn't help at all for actually developing games/hacks. Besides the language, SRPG Studio is incredibly easy to work with and it's pretty smooth.

D=

Well, the dictionary would be nice so I can at least type in english. I enjoyed your game, it was pretty fun. You should really expand it! I'd love to see you progress it to a 3 or 4 chapter game.

Here's the files for my project:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Mg420ZDL!vDlItkjugMrJaYBcVFyLMxr7A1ns4hyEicEEVQgrFH8

It should include the dictionary since it's project-dependant (I'm not sure which file/files it's in).

Things of note: Stage 1 and Stage 2 are the demo stages that comes with the game. They are there because I used them for reference on some functions. You can't reach them while playing the game though (I have put my map as the default, and there's no link to reach the others).

In case it helps you getting started with events, here's the events in the event list on my stage (AT and TK buttons):

Yudistra talk to Zywack, Yudistra talks to Brienne, Fenril talks to Zywack, Fenril talks to Brienne. These recruitments set some flags I made so that you can't recruit the same character twice, as well as one Enemy activation flag. If that flag is activated (you recruited a character) and the turn is 4 or higher, it activates a second enemy flag. The two flags also activate after turn 6 even if no one is recruited. Some of the enemies have two sets of AI (The hawks, main boss and the two swordsmen); when both flags are active it switch to their second AI set. Then there's two Gameover scripts (Yudistra die or Fenril die) and the Victory script (Zwenyn die).

The other events (town visit, hidden item) are on the map itself (tiles have orange patterns).

And.... that's about it!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eep, very sorry about the lack of answers! I haven't been around Serenes Forest for quite some time...

Thanks for putting up the new link Atticus!

Regarding English: For this project, I have translated myself the dictionary inside the engine. Some Japanese text still remains after that (For example, buy/sell, deploy, ect).

On top of the dictionary (which I learned only after making this project), there is also a file called constants-stringtable.js in the Script folder. The rest of the Japanese text is in there: I can confirm that editing this shows up correctly in-game. I cannot confirm if this covers absolutely everything (I haven't translated it all) but it should be extremely close.

There's three very unfortunate things however:

1) This translation only affects the playable game: the entire editor is all in Japanese and there's no ways to change that... So making projects with this is very difficult unless you understand the language, which is unfortunate since the software is actually extremely well done and user-friendly otherwise.

2) On some computers, the English text shows up nearly unreadable. I have no clue why: on mine it works perfectly.

3) This is project-specific. In order to translate things like this, you need the master project file, not just the compiled version. I don't mind offering my master project file, but it would only be of use if someone wants to create a new project: it'd be pretty useless to translate an existing project.

Eep, very sorry about the lack of answers! I haven't been around Serenes Forest for quite some time...

Thanks for putting up the new link Atticus!

Regarding English: For this project, I have translated myself the dictionary inside the engine. Some Japanese text still remains after that (For example, buy/sell, deploy, ect).

On top of the dictionary (which I learned only after making this project), there is also a file called constants-stringtable.js in the Script folder. The rest of the Japanese text is in there: I can confirm that editing this shows up correctly in-game. I cannot confirm if this covers absolutely everything (I haven't translated it all) but it should be extremely close.

There's three very unfortunate things however:

1) This translation only affects the playable game: the entire editor is all in Japanese and there's no ways to change that... So making projects with this is very difficult unless you understand the language, which is unfortunate since the software is actually extremely well done and user-friendly otherwise.

2) On some computers, the English text shows up nearly unreadable. I have no clue why: on mine it works perfectly.

3) This is project-specific. In order to translate things like this, you need the master project file, not just the compiled version. I don't mind offering my master project file, but it would only be of use if someone wants to create a new project: it'd be pretty useless to translate an existing project.

What do you mean by nearly unreadable? That the text is too small?

Does the trial version (IIRC such a thing does exist?) give you a good idea of how much custom stuff you can do with the tool, such as add in entirely new mechanics that might not exist like pair-up?

• 2 months later...

hello does anybody know how to download srpg studio free?? the page is all in japanese and I dont know japanese. I dont mind the program is in japanese.

Edited by axelloid

• 1 year later...

I recently got a trial version of the game from DLsite and I am having a hard time going trough all of the kanji. For the most part, I was able to figure out how to make characters, enemies, reinforcement spawns, items, weapons (their stats as well), skills, and changing the stat caps and level caps. I do have trouble with trying to make dialogue, talk functions between NPC units and your units, making an objective, changing the properties of some terrain (unless if it's not possible), making NPC units on the map in general, and I'm also wondering if I could make more ally units appear on the map after a certain amount of turns. I'm currently using the program to just create my very own level for my satisfaction but so far I can only translate so much using google translate (Can't read most of the kanji on the computer so writing it out was too difficult). I wonder if you could help me with any of these steps, it would be greatly appreciated.

On 7/22/2016 at 10:54 AM, axelloid said:

hello does anybody know how to download srpg studio free?? the page is all in japanese and I dont know japanese. I dont mind the program is in japanese.

I got a trial version only but most of the feature should be there. There might be much more in the full game, I'm not entirely sure since I can't read most of it, but I can still play around with it and save my data so none of it will be lost.
Here's the link:http://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ153191.html