Character Designs

hauteclere

Yeah realistically untied long hair is actually a PITA, I can do ponytail with fighting tbh since that's what I did for martial arts (though there is far stricter rules in martial arts than warfare), but untied hair ahahaha no, gets all sweaty and sticky too there

However as far as character designs go, hairstyles is one of those things I'm the most lenient about practicality (to a degree) due to the need of recognizability and uniqueness of individual player characters. In real life, there's no need for your soldiers to stand out, and thus everyone having helmets/buzzcuts/a bun is perfectly reasonable in a real life situation. However, in FE's case, with each character actually trying to stand out (for the most part) as individuals as opposed to the generics troops seen in something like, say, Advanced Wars (where uniformity is perfectly good in design there), going outside that range becomes more necessary. Trying to make a cast, especially a large one like FEA's, while maintaining uniqueness, is difficult when limited to the range of the few combat-practical hairstyles out there, and the head is one of the most important part of design since the face portrait is what the player looks at the most.

I don't share this level of leniency with clothing because you can go nuts with patterns, cuts, etc and have a wide range of designs that are both practical and looks good, the possibilities are endless, but hair there's like maybe 5 hairstyles and really not much room for interpretation if you want practical stuff

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ all good points but with the clothing i would point out that in lower graphic games the possibilities are a bit less than endless, if you want them to stick out sometimes you have to sacrifice practicality.

If you mean in cases of say, GBA Animations, I do sometimes exaggerate certain features (such as pauldrons) to make them stand out more on such small sizes for that specific platform, but in cases like official art, I do what I usually do. In a standard 2d drawing with 16million colors, the possibilities are pretty endless.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Aqua is fine.
Male Kamui is fine.
Female Kamui is adorable.

Hoshido is having some of my favorite designs.

Kazahana's outfit looks basic, but I find it, and her in general, extremely cute. Definitely my favorite female design thus far.
The ninja's outfits look friggin badass as all heck.
Tsubaki looks (face-wise) and sounds too much like Inigo to be a girl imho, and male pegasus knights are something I've wanted since FE7. Don't take this away from me IS. Please.
Ryouma looks fine, nothing special really. Same goes for Sakura.
Hinoka's design reminds me of characters you can create in SW4, so, plus for her!
Takumi is interesting. If his personality goes how I think (120% Tsundere), then he'll be my favorite male on Hoshido that I know of thus far.
I'm waiting until I see official art of Orochi before I make a decision on her.

Nohr has some alright ones, but we haven't really seen too many of it's characters, so idk

Marx's design screams regality and princey-ness. And dat sword, like, wow.
Leon has a good design too, but a little generic for my tastes. It almost looks copy-pasted from Awakening, with some color changes.
Elise is fine? I guess. Her hair is nice, but I would prefer it let down, or in a ponytail. Clothing is nothing interesting.
Silver-haired horse-dude has a cool air to him in that one portrait.
Blue-haired horse-dudette has great hair, and it's cool to see cavaliers don't look like poop now.
Elphie might make me fall in love with the knight class for the first time since PoR.
Camilla looks great imho, at least for Fire Emblem standards. It almost wouldn't be an FE game without some fanservice females, and Camilla still has more armor than most of the other ones, below-waist besides. Not to mention, she has a pretty face and gorgeous hair too, to top it off y'all just jealous

If I forgot anyone, then their designs really didn't stand out.

...That IS some weirdass hair animation there. :/

Oh yeah, I do admit that I'm fine with Camilla's face, hair, and even her head piece. It's the rest of her that's hideous to me.

That's why I'm hoping reclassing is back. I'm interested in her as a character, but she'll have to have a better outfit on if she'll be fighting on my team. Can't stand that ridiculous panty window.

If you mean in cases of say, GBA Animations, I do sometimes exaggerate certain features (such as pauldrons) to make them stand out more on such small sizes for that specific platform, but in cases like official art, I do what I usually do. In a standard 2d drawing with 16million colors, the possibilities are pretty endless.

well yeah i mean the sprites for Gba level games (and below that in graphics of course), not the official arts, though i don't mind if they try to match the artwork to the sprites, (at the very least i would like it if they kept the hair colours consistent yes I'm talking to you early final fantasies)

Edited by goodperson707

The Man-Ape part of my brain love Camilla's design, otherwise I like her hair, it's good and long.

Nohr, Camilla aside, looks fairly practical in their armor. but the pre-Awakening designs were still better.

Side note, If Camilla is missing an eye that would be kind of awesome.

Yeah realistically untied long hair is actually a PITA, I can do ponytail with fighting tbh since that's what I did for martial arts (though there is far stricter rules in martial arts than warfare), but untied hair ahahaha no, gets all sweaty and sticky too there

Yeah, that's the case in my Capoera group too, though you're moving more than in a swordfight...

That's also the reason why I feel wierd about barefoot. Kamui is nearly OK due to it's half-covered foot (though that's weird in itself), and his dragon part (He probably have scales on them...), but poor Aqua's won't stay clean long, that's for sure.

And I'm not talking about how much it would hurt...

I'm loving the Hoshidan designs we've seen so far, they are really hitting the right spots. The Nohrian folk have been growing on me too, I wasn't bothered for them much at first, but the more we've seen them the more I like them... with the exception of Camilla. I understand why people like her (obviously) but the design is not for me.

Takumi is overall my favourite design so far. He looks great. And even though he's obviously Japanese-inspired given Hoshido's inspiration and theme, I can't help but get a little bit of a Native American vibe from him too. (It's probably the white + blue colours combined with his feathery look.) Which is super cool too, even if it wasn't intended.

Edited by Missiletainn

I'm used to it but it still bothers me that female mounted units have no pants. The chafing.

If their saddles are ultra feathery soft then ok. I mean look at Cherche, her inner thighs are protected and it still looks good.

I'm really liking a lot the designs so far. Especially M!Kamui, I might actually go with the default look if I don't find a better combination than that.

Other than Kamui, I'm really digging Leon. Looking like a blonde Marth really helps, Leon is just so handsome and cute at the same time.

Marx was done on point. I feel like he's kind of the perfect mix between Virion's hair style and Gerome's armor (which is most of Nohr) with a spin on all of that.

Maybe Gerome secretly came from Nohr lol

I also really like archer dude and butler on the hoshido side. Their designs are great.

I like Camilla's hair and armor color too. Her corset chest armor is a little bit scary, though.

Marx was done on point. I feel like he's kind of the perfect mix between Virion's hair style and Gerome's armor (which is most of Nohr) with a spin on all of that.

Maybe Gerome secretly came from Nohr lol

I also really like archer dude and butler on the hoshido side. Their designs are great.

I like Camilla's hair and armor color too. Her corset chest armor is a little bit scary, though.

Marx is pure perfection. 10/10 best onii-chan go away Ryouma

Sans boob belt, I really like Camilla's top half. Not sure how she'd fight in a corset, but realism isn't something I'm usually a huge stickler for. Her bottom half just makes me sad.

Also, I just saw the scans of the May 21st Famitsu and I think I'm in love with Linca's design.

My favorite designs are:

Hoshido: Ryouma, Hinoka, and Takumi

Nohr: Camilla (excluding her disastrous armor), Leon, and Joker

I also really like how a lot of the men from Hoshido have long hair (Ryouma, Takumi, Tsubaki, etc) while some of the girls have short hair (Hinoka, Sakura, etc).

Something funny I heard today. Apparently, in Korea's cultural past, long hair was a normal thing for men and women. However, only unmarried men and women wore their hair down. If you were married, you wore your hair up and ONLY married people were allowed to wear their hair up.

tl;dr

Every Hoshidan who has long hair that is not pulled up is unmarried according to Korean culture.

EDIT: That said, I like Takumi and Leon's designs the best of the royal siblings. Sakura and Hinoka are okay (kind of iffy on Ryouma's hair, and the rest of Nohr is just eh, minus Camilla who is WTF). Of the non-siblings, I really like Linca and what little we have seen of Oboro. I'm also glad Cyrus does not look like a toilet. EDIT 2: How did I forget Tsubaki, he is awesome too.

Edited by Sunwoo

I hope you realize I'm just having a little fun with Korean/east Asian culture and I'm not actually taking the whole "all of the long-haired Hoshidans are unmarried" thing seriously.

Something funny I heard today. Apparently, in Korea's cultural past, long hair was a normal thing for men and women. However, only unmarried men and women wore their hair down. If you were married, you wore your hair up and ONLY married people were allowed to wear their hair up.

tl;dr

Every Hoshidan who has long hair that is not pulled up is unmarried according to Korean culture.

Enh I consider fire emblem characters unmarried until proven otherwise. I remember maybe 15 to 20 maybe more playable characters that are not single. Out a cast of hundreds.

On topic i like pretty much every design so far, Camilla's bottom is tbh a mess but her upper body is fine and that is what you see the most anyway.

Edited by goodperson707

Not a fan of if's design, but still better than its predecessor (not difficult though, Awakening was, I dare say, a joke)

Camilla's design doesn't bother me (I don't really like it though, but I like it better than any other girl barring Sakura). On the other hand, maid and butler can jump off a cliff into a pit of lava (and ninja too tbh). And I dream of a fanart where Clarine smash Elise to death with her staff to teach her a proper hairstyle.

Edited by Sartek

^ I don't disagree with you that elsies hair is exaggerated and animefied , and you are entitled to your opinion, but its kinda ironic that your avatar and fav game is the game of one hair style. (Okay i exaggerate but not that much)

...Am I the only one who actually has no problems with the designs and doesn't use the old games as a measure of standards? Honestly, if we did that, characters in the future would be stale and odd-looking, especially since when a game takes place in a different time and, well, place.

Sure, Camilla's cleavage window is a bit uneccessary, but who cares?

And I'm surprised at how people can have a problem with Hinoka's design.

Lastly, I suppose my favourite has to be:

Hoshido: Linca

Nohr: Marx and Gunter

Edited by Kagehoshi

For me the main point is that since awakening none female characters ever wear pants and are over-sexualized (perhaps excluding miriel and lucina....). Even characters like sully and it doesn't fit her character at all. like why can't female robin wear pants in stead of that mini skirt and Camilla's design takes all of that to the extreme.

And everything will always be compared to something and IMO the Tellius games had the most realistic outfits

And to make a gender comparison, how would you men feel if they designed a shirtless knight character (so no chest plate either)? that IMO would be a male equivalent of Camilla's outfit.