Character Designs

hauteclere

ngl now that we know Camilla likes strong women and Hinoka is very warrior-like from character descripts

Maybe Camilla's just checkin' her out

3rd route political marriages where are they

IDK what ngl means, but good point about Camilla.

Edited by BlueL

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also confused me why mages never where armor, even light armor, to battle. No one complains about that.

Not saying this is what your doing (I just got reminded is all), but I hate it when people complain about this kind of thing because it's unrealistic. That is a hilariously extreme double standard. Tons of things are unrealistic. You are complaining about this as a gender issue, the least you could do is admit it.

...Yeah, no.

This is an strategy game. The general attributes of a class should be obvious with a single look. Armor = Damage resistant, Robes = Squishy and Tons of Muscles = Hits really hard, is a good start.

Also, there are tons of possible reasons why one mage might not be able to wear armor. Like for example lack of the necessary training or because it would restrain their movement too much for hand gestures or whatever.

But if you actually do actually wear armor, it makes little reason to wear on that even to the eyes of a casual viewer combines all the individual downsides of being dressed, nude, protected and encased by heavy metal without any of the benefits that this would provide, be it protection, freedom of movement or comfort.

Edited by BrightBow

Are you guys satisfied with the cup sizes of the ladies in this game? I'm very happy with the size of Camilla, Orochi, Mikoto, Charlotte's etc. breasts, but very disappointed with Nyx's breasts in particular. It's like there's nothing there ffs =_=.

What do you guys think?

It's also confused me why mages never where armor, even light armor, to battle. No one complains about that.

Not saying this is what your doing (I just got reminded is all), but I hate it when people complain about this kind of thing because it's unrealistic. That is a hilariously extreme double standard. Tons of things are unrealistic. You are complaining about this as a gender issue, the least you could do is admit it.

There are lots of commonly accepted conceits for why mages tend to go the stylin' way of the robe. Usually it's that mages are too physically weak to perform their arts in armor, or that the armor itself interferes with spellcasting (by constricting or otherwise hampering the flow of your mana and whatnot), or that the cloth itself is a magical conduit necessary for mages to do what they do.

On the flipside, there's typically no good conceit for girls to have their boobs a-hangin' out in a fight. Naturally this is a gender conversation -- that kinda goes without saying -- because it's girls who get the bulk of the hilariously impractical clothes.

You made an inequivalent comparison there anyway, because the matter isn't what type of clothes makes sense, it's how much clothes make sense. Going back to mages for example, the dudes will often have full-flowing robes, while the lady is some kind of bikini savant. Dude knights tend to rock full plate armor, while dame knights work to find the skin-ratio limit of "well, technically that's still armor, I guess?" It's harmless, yeah yeah, but it's also just plain silly. The kind of thing that's counter-intuitive to keeping a fiction grounded.

ANYHOO, a smattering of dumb-looking outfits aside, I'm digging the character designs in this game. I think I like the looks of this cast more than Awakening's overall.

Edited by Aekenon

This is an strategy game. The general attributes of a class should be obvious with a single look. Armor = Damage resistant, Robes = Squishy and Tons of Muscles = Hits really hard, is a good start.

Kinda wish at least a villain subverts this idea. I mean Final Fantasy IV's Golbez is a big armored dude yet he throws magic around like nothing.

...Yeah, no.

Also, there are tons of possible reasons why one mage might not be able to wear armor. Like for example lack of the necessary training or because it would restrain their movement too much for hand gestures or whatever.

But if you actually do actually wear armor, it makes little reason to wear on that even to the eyes of a casual viewer combines all the individual downsides of being dressed, nude, protected and encased by heavy metal without any of the benefits that this would provide.

I think they should be able take creative liberties with a characters design and not always have to put class first. We have a good number of FE units who had good strength that lacked defined muscles.

And there other examples of units having designs that would be suboptimal for combat (some of the girls with ridiculously long hair). Or no units wearing helmets that are playable.

Also, as for this idea armor intereferes with magic casting, I'd just like to point out one thing: Dark Knights. So you could argue that it inhibits their movement, but clearly doesn't stop magic casting. Although that's what light armor is for. So I think it's safe to say most magic using classes are designed around their class than practicality.

I'd also like to point out Charlotte's armor is actually very similar (at least from the waist up) as Basillo's and Vaike's she just lacks that big armor belt thing which covers like 50-75% of the front of their stomach in their art designs. (Which I think is a noteworthy difference)

I'm NOT saying she's designed well for battle, just that I really feel the complaints about her result more from her having big boobs than the impracticality of her armor. Most of the complaints about her are "why are her big boobs out" rather than the exposed amount of stomach she has.

Edited by BlueL

I'd also like to point out Charlotte's armor is actually very similar (at least from the waist up) as Basillo's and Vaike's she just lacks that big armor belt thing which covers like 50-75% of the front of their stomach in their art designs. (Which I think is a noteworthy difference)

I'm NOT saying she's designed well for battle, just that I really feel the complaints about her result more from her having big boobs than the impracticality of her armor. Most of the complaints about her are "why are her big boobs out" rather than the exposed amount of stomach she has.

I don't care about her boobs. I care about how terrible that (lack of) armor looks. I have the same complaint with Vaike and Basilio. If they were 100% armorless (Like Brigands in previous titles), I wouldn't care as much because it's obviously a preference. But with the way how Fighters are designed from Awakening onwards it looks like they forgot their chestplate at home and it's extremely bothersome for a series that at least kept armor sensible enough to keep suspension of disbelief.

Yeah I mean I don't mind Charlotte in the context of the fighter class as is in 13/14 and her character but fighter as a class looks kinda terrible overall like

what the hell is going on with anything looks dumb af

http://puu.sh/iazXS/cf70e1ab6f.png

I mean I really hope this isn't generic fighter this is just ridiculous

IDK what ngl means, but good point about Camilla.

ngl = not gonna lie

Edited by Thor Odinson

I don't care about her boobs. I care about how terrible that (lack of) armor looks. I have the same complaint with Vaike and Basilio. If they were 100% armorless (Like Brigands in previous titles), I wouldn't care as much because it's obviously a preference. But with the way how Fighters are designed from Awakening onwards it looks like they forgot their chestplate at home and it's extremely bothersome for a series that at least kept armor sensible enough to keep suspension of disbelief.

Fighters throughout the entire series have been lacking in the armor department (the most I can recall one wearing off the top of my head is shoulder pads). I for one don't think there's a huge difference in the defensive capabilities of cloth shirt versus that of one's skin aside from the the fact that latter seems to offend some people.

Edited by Ambulz

Fighters throughout the entire series have been lacking in the armor department (the most I can recall one wearing off the top of my head is shoulder pads). I for one don't think there's a huge difference in the defensive capabilities of cloth shirt versus that of one's skin aside from the the fact that latter seems to offend some people.

You're probably thinking of Boyd, and his armor design doesn't bother me. It's padded leather pads ontop of leather and cloth. Good enough for me.

A better example is Hawkeye, but again his doesn't bother me, especially when taking into account he lives in a desert and therefore has logical conclusions to the lack of a chestplate.

If you make a side-by-side comparison to Vaike and Boyd (or even Hawkeye), the synergy of his armor doesn't make sense for Vaike. He visibly looks like he forgot his chestplate at home while I don't have any thoughts about that with Boyd.

Here's the way I look at it: what's the answer to the question "why is the character wearing this?" If the answer is "to give you a boner," that's bad. If it's "to help stay alive" or "to help communicate gameplay abilities to the player" we're in business. Adding in a "and also look good/awesome/badass" is also fine, or "to give an idea of who the character is," but suspension of disbelief is a big deal, and generally practicality/gameplay are going to be the most important for that with 99% of characters.

Edited by Rewjeo

What's wrong with having big breasts? If you have big breasts, show them off. Are you jealous or something?

lol no. I don't want breasts that size, they look absolutely hideous. Same with Camilla's. And to a somewhat lesser extent, Orochi and Mikoto. They're too big and round and unnatural looking. Yes, I know some women in real life have big boobs, but not huge, circular balloon boobs. And even so, huge breasts can be a liability for even everyday life, not just battle. Huge boobs can cause back and hip pain because of all the weight being carried around. I should know, my paternal grandmother went through these problems due to her breasts being large.

And if you're showing off breasts just to show them off, you're disgusting and perverted.

Edited by Anacybele

lol no. I don't want breasts that size, they look absolutely hideous. Same with Camilla's. And to a somewhat lesser extent, Orochi and Mikoto. They're too big and round and unnatural looking.

… Since when did Mikoto have big boobs? @_@

At this point, all I'm going to say is that I like most of Hoshido's designs while Nohr's are a hit-or-miss for me. Probably mentioned it already, but I'm really feeling Oboro's design (along with the ones I'd already stated earlier). The three Hoshido characters in this week's Famitsu all look nice, as well as Belka (couldn't the katakana for her name be read as Veruca?) and Luna's designs. Nyx, ehhhh …

So far Rinka is my favorite design, but I overall am fairly neutral about most of them. The only ones I really don't like are Charlotte and the lower half of Camilla.

lol no. I don't want breasts that size, they look absolutely hideous. Same with Camilla's. And to a somewhat lesser extent, Orochi and Mikoto. They're too big and round and unnatural looking. Yes, I know some women in real life have big boobs, but not huge, circular balloon boobs. And even so, huge breasts can be a liability for even everyday life, not just battle. Huge boobs can cause back and hip pain because of all the weight being carried around. I should know, my paternal grandmother went through these problems due to her breasts being large.

And if you're showing off breasts just to show them off, you're disgusting and perverted.

I think it's less that they're too big and more of they're just the wrong shape.

They look fairly normal-sized to me and her clothes aren't revealing and cover everything up anyway. Why is this conversation a thing this is awkward plus she's your mother.

Can we change the topic to something not about boobs?

Well, I think the Male design are a step up from Awakening, and we now have feet, (yay!) but the female designs really bother me. The main ones are Camilla, (obvious), Rinka, (hides behind indestructible shield), Charlotte and Orochi. I really despise the new exposed midriff and the, (for some) "Let's not wear pants!" thing. Don't get me wrong, some female designs are cool. Like Sakura and Felicia. Anyway, my favorite designs so far are Takumi, Tsubaki, Leon and Elise. The Avatar design is cool, aside the fact that they are kinda albinos and that the female one had (has?) two left feet. Overall, I believe Nintendo is doing decent so far. Thanks for reading my really long post! XD

I hope there is mixed gender of class designs? I have only seen all male and female-only generic units in FE:A. Since gender locked classes doesn't seem to be a thing in the game, at least in Hoshido, it'd be weird to see all generic units to be male. (There is a female generic unit in the shop, but still.)

I agree that most of the male designs seem to be better than the female designs. Even comparing Hinoka and Tsubaki, who are both pegasus warriors, it's jarring how different their attire is. I'm glad Hinoka doesn't have boobplate like the Awakening pegasus knights did, but the garters still exist and she's not wearing any pants. Hopefully Hinoka is dressed differently by virtue of being a princess, and generic pegasus warriors will have outfits more similar to Tsubaki's than Hinoka's … male or female.

Also, Camilla looks different compared to the other two wyvern riders we've seen so far (I know Camilla is technically a "revenant knight"), so hopefully the "generic" attire look a bit less silly than what some of the characters are wearing.

I agree that most of the male designs seem to be better than the female designs.

Really? It must be just me then, because I really like the female designs much more!

And about Hinoka, doesn't she already wear boots that go above her knees? Besides, the lower part of her dress, or whatever it is, looks like it's about the length of short shorts. Is the length the issue? Or is it simply the fact that she does not wear pants or even leggings (or anything else that is specifically jarring about her appearance in comparison to Tsubaki)?

Since new character reveals, I'm adding Luna to my list of favorites!

Edited by Carter

Do be careful how you word things, because that last sentence is just freaking foul. Perhaps you should read this.

I actually have no issue with the size of the bosoms of the ladies in this game. Yeah even Camilla's.

And about Hinoka, doesn't she already wear boots that go above her knees? Besides, the lower part of her dress, or whatever it is, looks like it's about the length of short shorts. Is the length the issue? Or is it simply the fact that she does not wear pants or even leggings?

The problem is that unless her boots cover up her legs entirely, not wearing pants while riding a pegasus (or any mount) is going to completely wreck the exposed part of her skin. Not to mention the chafing, oh gosh, the chafing …

Edited by Sunwoo

Mikoto, Rinka, Elfie, and Belka are the only F designs I actively like so far out of the officially introduced characters tbh (and even Elfie's only a 9/10, most of it's really good but boobplate is a personal sin against me so I have to deduct 1 point)

Also even then I'm putting some reservations on Belka because if she has battle panties I will be very sad because I do like that top

I mean I don't have active complaints against most that I haven't voiced already or is a persisting issue with the series but I mean I don't exactly like, am impressed with them or anything

Edited by Thor Odinson