Character Designs

hauteclere

OK... We can definitely see Aqua's panties on her design, right ? It's not my perverted mind imagining thing, right ?

Because sorry, but that's a big o. Sad, because I actually like the top part. really long gloves are pretty cool.

But having her flashes ennemies and allies alike every time she moves is just... Well, it makes her outfit worse than Camilia.

Otherwise I love Dear Elise's design. The poofy armored dress, the ridiculous hair that must takes 2 hours to get right every morning.

It looks both cute and like a combat outfit (maybe also because of the Dark colours...)

I also like Takumi's design, because I think it fits pretty well what we know of his personality. (I can perfectly imagine him complaining every turn he doesn't trust you and will kill you if you do anythiing wrong).

Plus he kinda looks like a (lone) wolf.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let me preface by saying that I generally don't care about realism (whether it be through art or story or something else) in a work of fiction (unless it is a piece of fiction that is founded upon realism, something of which I would not really attribute to Fire Emblem at any great length) and thus am not affect by things like Camilla's armor or Femui's thigh holes or poses of characters or things like. I've also never been bothered by fan service, so again those types of things generally have no affect on me. So I'm not particularly picky about art-design beyond my personal preference of thinking of something looking stupid or not.

I have no real complaints about the designs showed so far and I think I like the overall style better then Awakening (though Awakening still had some really good ones) but neither come close to the Tellius games in terms of character design.

Overall I prefer Nohr's design to Hoshido's (but I think Black/Purple/Gold is a really great color scheme and, while red is my fave color, the color scheme is Hoshido doesn't really mesh that well to me, except for Takumi) and Elise is absolutely adorable (easily my fave design so far), and I'll always be a sucker for maid character (though currently I like the design of blue haired made better then Felicia, but I'm also a sucker for light-blue and green-blue hair) and Aqua is dead-drop gorgeous (though she ain't no Nephenee).

Overall I would say I like the design scheme of FE IF so far.

Yeah, I'm liking these designs so far way more than I did Awakening's.

I love long-haired dudes so Hoshido is really doing it for me (cravat-san and Tsubaki in particular) but I also like the designs on the Nohr side quite a bit too. While I don't like Camilla's outfit much, I like the rest of her design. She's cute. Orochi is my favorite gal design so far though. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them!

OK... We can definitely see Aqua's panties on her design, right ? It's not my perverted mind imagining thing, right ?

Because sorry, but that's a big o. Sad, because I actually like the top part. really long gloves are pretty cool.

But having her flashes ennemies and allies alike every time she moves is just... Well, it makes her outfit worse than Camilia.

Her Nohr outfit is (strangely) more conservative than her Hoshido outfit. It doesn't have as many holes as the white dress does.

Her Nohr outfit is (strangely) more conservative than her Hoshido outfit. It doesn't have as many holes as the white dress does.

I hope Hoshido's pants shortage end up being an important plot point.

Yeah I also prefer her Nohr's outfit,though we didn't have artworks of it so far.

I think it's a case were Zettai Ryouiki would actually improves her character.

Or if she had closed 1-2 more buttons on her outfit (does it even have buttons ?)

It's a shame because the top is really amazing (the way her hair and outfits blend together is a great touch.)

I think the dark outfit may be an in-trailer exclusive, sadly.

I like it more, too. :(

What makes you say that? The way her dress changes in the trailer implies your choice will decide how she dresses...for some reason.

Man, boo all you people hating on Aqua's design, I think she's really pretty. :( I don't think those are panties we see either, I think it's part of her single legging. Like half-pants or something. So I can excuse the "panty-shot" she has.

More material doesn't always equal more conservative though. In fact i believe the Nohr outfit still has aqua's un/fortunate talent for panty shots, it just covers her whole stomach and a bit more of her legs, i would say it actually make the outfit more sexy, but it still seems to me to be meant to show off aquas assets just as much as the Hoshido outfit.

More material doesn't always equal more conservative though. In fact i believe the Nohr outfit still has aqua's un/fortunate talent for panty shots, it just covers her whole stomach and a bit more of her legs, i would say it actually make the outfit more sexy, but it still seems to me to be meant to show off aquas assets just as much as the Hoshido outfit.

Uh, what? How is her Nohr dress not more conservative than her Hoshido dress? Granted it still is a revealing outfit overall, it's more conservative, in relation to her Hoshido dress. Clothes that cover skin are considered 'conservative'. Since her Nohr dress doesn't have that abdomen hole on the right like her white dress, I believe it's fair to say it has a more more conservative design. Heck, she even has a veil!

Edited by Leif

I never knew so many people actually liked the designs...I feel like such a special little snowflake.

But seriously, what is it that you all find appealing? I'm genuinely curious, even if it's subjective and not really something one can describe easily, but I just don't see it; I don't like anyone in terms of design.

Other than Camilla, I rather like the designs, both sides have a great aesthetic. I'm really impressed that Tsubaki manages to look pretty samurai-esque, hair and armour, but he also looks in place on a pegasus. The Nohr cavalry armour is pretty cool too, the colour schemes really give them a sense of kinship.

I have not ever seen a samurai portrayed with a ponytail like that. Besides, Tsubaki is clearly not a samurai. But if a male must have a ponytail, at least make it look more like Shinon has it. Shinon doesn't tie it up/style it in a way that looks so girly.

No offense but I don't think you've seen enough east asian period work

google Okita Souji from Rurouni Kenshin for starters, Toshizo Hijikata if you need another; Both are historical members of shinsengumi often portrayed in anime works, which is a fair comparison due to the art style of Fire Emblem also following anime design conventions rather than 100% historical accuracy.

Usually in romanticized historical works, both live action and anime, ponytails are fairly common hairstyle for men.

In addition, Chinese historical hair ornaments FOR MEN involves the 冠 (http://puu.sh/hSkub/e8865b6173.png) which can get pretty ornate. While Chinese and Japanese designs are different at its core, they do share some surface elements visually, and sometimes artists may take some elements from one another and it won't be out of place.

Don't impose your western standards on designs not meant to look remotely western. Have some cultural awareness.

Edited by Thor Odinson

What makes you say that? The way her dress changes in the trailer implies your choice will decide how she dresses...for some reason.

Haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

And I think it'd be weird if they kept the veil, especially for cutscenes.

No offense but I don't think you've seen enough east asian period work

google Okita Souji from Rurouni Kenshin for starters, Toshizo Hijikata if you need another; Both are historical members of shinsengumi often portrayed in anime works, which is a fair comparison due to the art style of Fire Emblem also following anime design conventions rather than 100% historical accuracy.

Usually in romanticized historical works, both live action and anime, ponytails are fairly common hairstyle for men.

In addition, Chinese historical hair ornaments FOR MEN involves the 冠 (http://puu.sh/hSkub/e8865b6173.png) which can get pretty ornate. While Chinese and Japanese designs are different at its core, they do share some surface elements visually, and sometimes artists may take some elements from one another and it won't be out of place.

Don't impose your western standards on designs not meant to look remotely western. Have some cultural awareness.

I'm not trying to impose western standards on designs not meant to look western. I have no problem with Tsubaki having a ponytail at all, it's the way it looks to me. Samurais I've seen in east Asian work didn't have ponytails like that at all. Look at male characters in Mulan, Samurai Jack, or Takamaru. Or Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur. They're samurai-esque and don't have long ponytails, only short ones. Mulan might not be the best example, though, I admit, since lol Disney's historic accuracy.

And I know east Asian hair ornaments can look like that. I've seen those kinds of things in the Avatar cartoon show, which is actually something that was made in the US.

Uh, what? How is her Nohr dress not more conservative than her Hoshido dress? Granted it still is a revealing outfit overall, it's more conservative, in relation to her Hoshido dress. Clothes that cover skin are considered 'conservative'. Since her Nohr dress doesn't have that abdomen hole on the right like her white dress, I believe it's fair to say it has a more more conservative design. Heck, she even has a veil!

Okay heres the thing every definition of conservative i found was a modest, traditional and or a professional form of dress. Which neither outfit is as they both seem to be designed to show off aquas body. To be more conservative it needs to be conservative in the first place. Also clothes that cover skin don't mean modesty or lower appeal of the body if done right they raise it and aqua's dance for Garon definitely fits better with a slightly more covered but teasing style of dress like the nohr one.

I'm not trying to impose western standards on designs not meant to look western. I have no problem with Tsubaki having a ponytail at all, it's the way it looks to me. Samurais I've seen in east Asian work didn't have ponytails like that at all. Look at male characters in Mulan, Samurai Jack, or Takamaru. Or Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur. They're samurai-esque and don't have long ponytails, only short ones. Mulan might not be the best example, though, I admit, since lol Disney's historic accuracy.

And I know east Asian hair ornaments can look like that. I've seen those kinds of things in the Avatar cartoon show, which is actually something that was made in the US.

Well I'm telling you from the perspective of an actual east asian person with a lot more knowledge about design paradigms in period work, Tsubaki's design would not be considered particularly feminine given the context of the broader Hoshido context

Can a female character have that design? Sure. I'm all for women having traditionally masculine designs, as well, though it's also unlike Kozaki to go for broad shoulders on a woman considering Flavia's visibly muscular and her shoulders aren't even as broad as Tsubaki's (please female body variation better, Kozaki). If Tsubaki IS female? I'm fine with that. But Tsubaki's design itself is not inherently feminine given the context and I'm asking you to actually listen to people who know the culture better for a fucking change. Hell, Tsubaki being female hasn't even remotely crossed my mind until it was found he's a peg knight.

Tsubaki's ponytail isn't even that long, anyway. You want long ponytail? Taroutachi of Touken Ranbu has a real long ponytail.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I really like the new designs.

Especially Sakura and Elise. I really how two healers can have extremely different looks, rather than the simple dress or robe that the cleric / priest had in Awakening. I'm not that fond of Hinoka, though. I liked the pegasus knight in Awakening, but it was a special case for Cordelia and Sumia. I guess I liked the design only on them two.

Aside from this, I feel like the other designs were simple, yet they're improving. I like Leon and Takumi, and the difference with white and black clothing designs between Hoshido and Nohr. I hope to see some amazing ones upon release!

It's long by my hair standards. (But I usually have short/medium hair myself)

But, ya' know, it doesn't hold a candle to Lyn.

I also find the Shinon comment a little curious because I find his ponytail design more "feminine" (really is there a female-exclusive way to do them? It's just tying your hair back)

Edited by Crysta

well I meant long by east asian period design paradigms, not personal preference haha

I grew up looking at men with FAR longer hair than Tsubaki sooo

Edited by Thor Odinson

I think the dark outfit may be an in-trailer exclusive, sadly.

I like it more, too. :(

Was it not determined by whichever route you chose?

Like she gets the dark outfit by player going Hoshido... or do I mistake the facts?

Was it not determined by whichever route you chose?

Like she gets the dark outfit by player going Hoshido... or do I mistake the facts?

She could.

I just find it strange that the dark outfit has not appeared anywhere outside of the tailer yet, so I'm beginning to doubt it will actually exist in-game.

Well I'm telling you from the perspective of an actual east asian person with a lot more knowledge about design paradigms in period work, Tsubaki's design would not be considered particularly feminine given the context of the broader Hoshido context

Can a female character have that design? Sure. I'm all for women having traditionally masculine designs, as well, though it's also unlike Kozaki to go for broad shoulders on a woman considering Flavia's visibly muscular and her shoulders aren't even as broad as Tsubaki's (please female body variation better, Kozaki). If Tsubaki IS female? I'm fine with that. But Tsubaki's design itself is not inherently feminine given the context and I'm asking you to actually listen to people who know the culture better for a fucking change. Hell, Tsubaki being female hasn't even remotely crossed my mind until it was found he's a peg knight.

Tsubaki's ponytail isn't even that long, anyway. You want long ponytail? Taroutachi of Touken Ranbu has a real long ponytail.

Well excuse me, how was I supposed to know that you're actually Asian and know what you're talking about? I was thinking that you were the one that didn't have a broad enough view of the topic considering the eastern Asian-inspired stuff I've seen, so I'm fucking sorry, okay?