Feedback on my RD Hard Mode Draft

Hey guys! So my friend and I did a hard mode Radiant Dawn Draft the other day and I thought it'd be fun to post the results here so you guys could share your thoughts. Below is the draft order, I'd be interested to hear who you thought we picked too early/too late/anything else!

We decided to allow Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, and the Black Knight for mutual use but anyone else was fair game. Here is the table with the draft order (the left column are my picks and the right are my friend's):

Q8ua5xO.jpg

Mp6wLx1.jpg

RY2kydM.jpg

And here's the breakdown by part (some units may be in the wrong categories):

Me:

Part 1:

Micaiah

Sothe

BK

Laura

Jill

Zihark

Tauroneo

Ilyana

Part 2:

Marcia

Nealuchi

Leanne

Heather

Brom

Kieran

Makalov

Danved

Calill

Part 3:

Ike

Ilyana

Boyd

Rolf

Mia

Ranulf

Tanith

Mist

Rhys

Kyza

Lethe

Titania

Part 4:

Janaff

Giffca

Tibarn

Stefan

Oliver

Pelleas

Gareth

Renning

Bastian

Vika

My Friend:

Part 1:

Micaiah

Sothe

BK

Nolan

Edward

Volug

Leonardo

Tormod

Aran

Meg

Fiona

Muarim

Rafiel

Part 2:

Haar

Nephenee

Geoffrey

Lucia

Elincia

Astrid

Part 3:

Ike

Gatrie

Soren

Shinon

Oscar

Mordecai

Ulki

Reyson

Lyre

Part 4:

Caineghis

Naesala

Skrimir

Sanaki

Kurthnaga

Nasir

Volke

Sigrun

Lehran

Ena

I definitely picked healers too high in an attempt to cockblock my friend out of healing, but some good units also fell pretty low such as Tauroneo.

Edited by darkkfan

Titania's not a Part 1 unit! :sweatdrop:

Anyway, he's got Haar, and that's going to sting in the long run. Your Part 1 will be somewhat rough (pity you couldn't snag Edward, he would've been a huge help), until Jill shows up. I have no clue as to how Part 2 is handled without Haar. Part 3 will be interesting - Titania will be a huge help, and if you've funneled a bit of experience into Ilyana, she might be able to hold her own (you WILL be getting Micaiah to level 20. . .I hope). I don't remember much about Part 4, either.

Good luck. You will need it.

Oops yeah I fixed the Titania thing haha. I didn't really check over the part by part breakdown so there are plenty of other errors probably. That being said if Titania WAS in part 1 that would definitely solve most of my problems.

The first few part 1 chapters for me will definitely be rough with no Edward or Nolan, and early part 2 will be hard even with Marcia and Nealuchi. I'm not very worried about part 3 though since it seems like I have a lot of options. And part 4 should be fine if we divide up our units well.

As for my friend, he is gonna have a tough time with no healers i think, even though he DOES have Micaiah and Elincia. He is definitely going to be spending a lot on vulneraries/concoctions/etc. I wonder if it is possible to get through part 3 without healers, since I picked Rhys and Mist pretty high. Any advice for him?

Right after completing the draft we both realized we somehow omitted Nailah from the draft. We decided to try to play without her. Do you think part 1 is possible on hard mode without Nailah given our respective rosters? Because if Nailah's absence would make part 1 an absolute nightmare, we would consider allowig her.

Edited by darkkfan

Vulneraries have 8 uses and heal 20 HP, Concoctions become buyable in the latter half of part 3 for the rest of the game. If he's smart, he shouldn't feel the lack of healers at all. (And part 2 as well, so Haar and the others can ferry them across).

Nailah's only chapter where you don't have free BK is the swamp chapter, right? You'll be fine without her.

I'm surprised Ilyana went so low. She's not great, but her availability is better than Haar's, and in a drafts she will likely be overlevelled anyway.

Edited by Baldrick

I postponed from responding to this because the sheer amount of characters...for a draft, scared me a bit. It's really cool you can draft against a friend, I don't even have much (if any) real life friends who play FE- much less DRAFT against me. Anyway, the reason I was feeling hesitant to respond, was because there are a ton of characters to review from. Drafts are usually played (and get a lot more intersting) from a small team that you have to lowman the chapters with what you got. With this, you might as well play the game normally (since you picked half of FE10, each).

Anyway, picking healers very early isn't the brightest of ideas. Like Baldrick said, healers aren't very "strong" in this game. With the Vulneraries, Concoctions and free Micaiah (post-Part 1, she can heal)...yeah. Jill would've been much better as a 1rst pick, but 2nd pick isn't bad, obviously. What you want to do, is to cover up important areas, such as early Part 1 with characters like Edward or Nolan, Part 2 with Haar (phocking beast), Nephenee or Elincia and Part with Titania, Oscar or Gatrie.

I postponed from responding to this because the sheer amount of characters...for a draft, scared me a bit. It's really cool you can draft against a friend, I don't even have much (if any) real life friends who play FE- much less DRAFT against me. Anyway, the reason I was feeling hesitant to respond, was because there are a ton of characters to review from. Drafts are usually played (and get a lot more intersting) from a small team that you have to lowman the chapters with what you got. With this, you might as well play the game normally (since you picked half of FE10, each).

Anyway, picking healers very early isn't the brightest of ideas. Like Baldrick said, healers aren't very "strong" in this game. With the Vulneraries, Concoctions and free Micaiah (post-Part 1, she can heal)...yeah. Jill would've been much better as a 1rst pick, but 2nd pick isn't bad, obviously. What you want to do, is to cover up important areas, such as early Part 1 with characters like Edward or Nolan, Part 2 with Haar (phocking beast), Nephenee or Elincia and Part with Titania, Oscar or Gatrie.

Yeah, I'm lucky that I know a few people IRL who are into Fire Emblem. And yeah, I realize drafts usually have, what, like 5-8 people? But I figured this would be fun anyway. And it's hard mode so I bet even with us each having half the roster, there will be some challenging chapters. For instance, I played up to chapter 1 of part 1 already, and it is unbeatable with just Micaiah due to the 10 turn limit, so I am either gonna have to remove the turn limit via a cheat code and somehow give Micaiah another light tome (since her first one is almost broken already), or arrange a unit trade/loan with my friend. In any case, I think my friend will have a harder time of the game than I once I get Zihark Jill and Tauroneo but I can't be certain of course.

I'll admit I got too cute in picking the healers too high. I planned on picking Nolan and Jill but decided to mix things up. I also planned to use a high pick on Ilyana, but when she fell I decided to take advantage of that availability.

Use the rulesets in the Fire Emblem Drafts subforum! They were made to equalize the playing field, so that whoever didn't draft Edward wouldn't be insta-screwed immediately (among other things).

Use the rulesets in the Fire Emblem Drafts subforum! They were made to equalize the playing field, so that whoever didn't draft Edward wouldn't be insta-screwed immediately (among other things).

Oh wow despite being on this site for years I actually didn't know there was a forum for drafting (probably cuz this was my first draft but still). That would have been helpful when we did the draft but oh well. Still, even after searching the forum I can't seem to find the Radiant Dawn rules. Is it a link from a stickied thread?

In any case, I ended up just "loaning" Nolan out for chapter 2, and I've gotten up to 1-7 with no other incident (Jill is at like 20-4 and Ilyana at 20-2 with Micaiah at 20 and Laura at 14). My friend, however, has yet to start his run so that should be interesting.

Edited by darkkfan