Famitsu interview - FULL VERSION (with new screenshots!)

Ryo

Cool as third tier classes would be (although I don't think the game would be long enough for them without crazy exp inflation), I imagine they're just called Peg Warriors now to keep all the "Knight" classes as Nohr only.

Yeah, I think that's the biggest thing against 3rd tier promotions.

The only reason Radiant Dawn pulled it off was because most units already started out promoted, and it had a main story of over 40 chapters.

I don't think If will be long enough to justify that, especially with Nohr having limited exp like earlier games.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a load of bollocks, that is!

So what? Fire Emblem is a video game. A lot of stuff that happens in video games doesn't make sense. It's not supposed to be ultra-realistic.

If you want proof, see Fred in chapters 3-6 and chapter 15 onward in the videos in my sig. Those such scenarios have been recreated dozens of times by myself and others.

Yeah, I think that's the biggest thing against 3rd tier promotions. The only reason Radiant Dawn pulled it off was because most units already started out promoted, and it had a main story of over 40 chapters.

I don't think If will be long enough to justify that, especially with Nohr having limited exp like earlier games.

We seem to be getting an unusually high number of prepromotes right at the start though, considering how it looks like butlers and maids are a promoted class. Usually we'd just have a Great Knight or Palladin at that point, rather than maybe 3 or 4 pre-promotes. Besides, there's the six skill slots issue. Even if there's a way to reset level like with the Second Seals, we're still looking at the equivalent of a third tier class as far as necessary experience goes.

Edited by NeonZ

I figured most people had already accepted that as a new fact before the interview. (It does however, make me worried of any future remakes.)

Pretty much that. I was under the impression the MU would just be a passing fad. Half of me doesn't want an FE4 remake now, the other half wants to see them try and cram an MU into it.

Having an MU instead of a main lord just seems like a way to cheap out of writing an actual main character. I'm okay with a bit of it, but if every single game from now on MUST have it, then... .

But the MU is basically a standard main character anyway. He has a backstory and personality, he talks and is part of the story just like other characters just with customizable appearance and custom class or free reclassing. They aren't mute self-insert protagonists. The first two Avatars have been fairly bland, but that's not really different from the main lord of each game.

Edited by NeonZ

Pretty much that. I was under the impression the MU would just be a passing fad. Half of me doesn't want an FE4 remake now, the other half wants to see them try and cram an MU into it.

Having an MU instead of a main lord just seems like a way to cheap out of writing an actual main character. I'm okay with a bit of it, but if every single game from now on MUST have it, then... .

At this point though the MU is the main lord. It's basically the same as a main lord only you can customize their appearance.

I just don't get the same feeling from an avatar that I get from a legit character. Robin was so bad, because they had to try to fulfill both the "player insert" and main character roles. This resulted in them being bland, pandered to (Chrom's role in the story is basically to praise Robin), and feeling forced into the story (Validar is your father? Wtf). I've seen complains against Kris for similar reasons though I haven't played FE12.

If they feel they have to have a customizable character for whatever reason, it should be just another recruit. Or at the most, a sidekick. I don't see why we need customizable lords, and I definitely don't see why we need to pretend the player is the main character when they fail completely at actually representing the player.

If you want proof, see Fred in chapters 3-6

He's a pre-promote who has much higher stats than the enemies do, so of course he'll pwn them even with the weakest of weapons.

He's a pre-promote who has much higher stats than the enemies do, so of course he'll pwn them even with the weakest of weapons.

The gap isn't that big when it comes to Lunatic+. Even some chapter 2 enemies are closing in on being a credible threat to him in a one-on-one. You also failed to address the chapter 15 onward part, where vanilla Hand Axes are causing Lunatic+ enemies to get rolled.

We've had a MU for three games straight, and with gradually increasing story importance.

True. However, I don't think Intelligent Systems can keep sustaining the intentionally blank slate personality for the Avatars (a reason brought for why Avatars are a negative thing). In fact, with gradually increasing story importance comes more characterization for the Avatars (perhaps I'm making a big assumption on Kamui's personality, but Kamui is the dominant force driving the story which should mean significant characterization). The point I'm trying to make is that Fire Emblem's version of an Avatar does not match up with what an actual avatar is. It blurs the line of "avatar" and "customizable character".

I just don't get the same feeling from an avatar that I get from a legit character. Robin was so bad, because they had to try to fulfill both the "player insert" and main character roles. This resulted in them being bland, pandered to (Chrom's role in the story is basically to praise Robin), and feeling forced into the story (Validar is your father? Wtf). I've seen complains against Kris for similar reasons though I haven't played FE12.

If they feel they have to have a customizable character for whatever reason, it should be just another recruit. Or at the most, a sidekick. I don't see why we need customizable lords, and I definitely don't see why we need to pretend the player is the main character when they fail completely at actually representing the player.

Kinda disagree with this. Robin doesn't really steal the narrative until the last third of Awakening. I also don't get how Robin is forced into the story when Robin is the main antagonist.

Kris is essentially what your describing a customizable character should be. It didn't turn out well. Kris ruined the characterization of Marth, Jagen, and other characters. Why do people like customizable lords? There is an appeal for the audience to design characters in their own vision. As for your final sentence, we don't need to pretend. I just want it to be a more commonly belief that Fire Emblem's version of an Avatar (12-onward) isn't actually an Avatar.

True. However, I don't think Intelligent Systems can keep sustaining the intentionally blank slate personality for the Avatars (a reason brought for why Avatars are a negative thing). In fact, with gradually increasing story importance comes more characterization for the Avatars (perhaps I'm making a big assumption on Kamui's personality, but Kamui is the dominant force driving the story which should mean significant characterization). The point I'm trying to make is that Fire Emblem's version of an Avatar does not match up with what an actual avatar is. It blurs the line of "avatar" and "customizable character".

So, you're saying the Avatar doesn't fit the definition of Avatar, and thus isn't an Avatar.

Should I start calling it "My Unit" again? "Avatar", after all, is a localization thing.

Edited by L95

So, you're saying the Avatar doesn't fit the definition of Avatar, and thus isn't an Avatar.

Should I start calling it "My Unit" again? "Avatar", after all, is a localization thing.

Well you don't have to follow what I say, but I do think "My Unit" makes more sense than "Avatar". Even then, the only thing you really control is appearance and class. What they say, history, relationships(outside of S-Supports), etc. aren't really anything the player can claim.

Regarding the above, I wondered when translating whether to keep it as MyUnit or Avatar. I used Avatar this time around since that's what a lot of the fans know them as... guess I should switch back to "MyUnit" until we see whatever the localization comes out with. (Or have they called them "Avatar" already? They do say main character a lot so they may go with that...)

Regarding the above, I wondered when translating whether to keep it as MyUnit or Avatar. I used Avatar this time around since that's what a lot of the fans know them as... guess I should switch back to "MyUnit" until we see whatever the localization comes out with. (Or have they called them "Avatar" already? They do say main character a lot so they may go with that...)

So basically, it's "my unit (FE12)", "avatar" (FE13), and "main character" (FE14). Maybe they'll be called the "protagonist"?

So basically, it's "my unit (FE12)", "avatar" (FE13), and "main character" (FE14). Maybe they'll be called the "protagonist"?

That makes sense. I'm expecting the localization to say "protagonist," but wonder if they will push for "Avatar" for a connection to FE13 for fans or something. I named them "Protagonist" on the Dengeki character profiles anyway.

Edited by Kirokan

In the NA Direct, it was said that "as in Fire Emblem Awakening, the main character will be a customizable avatar created by the player". There's also "some changes only made possible because the player is now the main hero" which although not saying Avatar directly, seems to strongly suggest that it's how they see the main hero here.

In the NA Direct, it was said that "as in Fire Emblem Awakening, the main character will be a customizable avatar created by the player". There's also "some changes only made possible because the player is now the main hero" which although not saying Avatar directly, seems to strongly suggest that it's how they see the main hero here.

Ah, yes I was trying to remember how Trinen said it... so he said both main character and avatar, or will be said avatar anyway... hmm so yeah they are likely heading the way of calling them the avatar again...

Thanks for the quotes!

I guess more remakes with MUs could be interesting. The third person references of Elibe and Magvel could be characters (though I hope they act more like Shadow Hero rather than... "overshadow" main characters) and having an apology for seeing Roy again would be nice. I'm... not sure about how the Holy War games will work with that. Tellius could add you in as an extra merc, but how would that transfer to RD reborn?

Edited by Only MU V2

If they introduce a MU into a FE4 remake and they you-know-what mid-game, I would be incredibly amused.

It would be amusing indeed. Us older players would see it coming too :P