Roger vs. Draug

42 members have voted

1. 1. Roger or Draug?

• Roger
    • Draug

I actually didn't see anything about this, which kinda surprised me. I know the general consensus is that Draug is better, but I just felt like putting this up anyway. Of course, no one really gets on the SD forum anyway, so there probably won't be much on here.

Edited by Blaze The Great

I know the general consensus is that Draug is better, but I'm curious to see what people think.

i think you will find that the general consensus of what people think is that draug is better

As a feline, you might be interested in an opinion contrasting the general consensus of people.

Nah, Draug is still better. All the time to level up and build weapon ranks (let's say in bows) that Roger simply lacks.

Draug will be faster. Roger will hit harder.

In the end, it depends on what you need, though Roger's a bit harder to get off the ground.

Doga's one of your better choices for a bow user.

Let's see. . .

- Jagen can fill in as a Sniper, if absolutely necessary

- Wendell does it better than Jagen

- Jeorge is decent as a Sniper, BUT he is a pain in the ass to get

- Obligatory Wolf/Sedgar, even if they start with no weapon levels

- If I absolutely insist on an archer, I'll reclass one of Cain/Abel. . .and if I'm desperate, Matthis/Roshea

- Hell, Caeda can function as one early-on

EDIT: Forgot Cord, too. E axes bites. Regardless, I've got plenty of other options, so I'd rather have Draug walk on water.

Edited by eclipse

- If I absolutely insist on an archer, I'll reclass one of Cain/Abel. . .and if I'm desperate, Matthis/Roshea

- Hell, Caeda can function as one early-on

I agree, always use E Bows Archers over E Bows Hunters, and pass up on Wing Spear aswell.

Edited by Gradivus.

I agree, always use E Bows Archers over E Bows Hunters, and pass up on Wing Spear aswell.

It gets sold on Chapter 1.

In other words, your attempt at being clever fails, as I've got other plans for my units. One of which involves Draug wielding axes, and not bows.

Doga's strength growth isn't stellar so I'd prefer to give him an axe, 45% is a fair bit nicer than 25% as a hunter. Roger could probably make a decent enough hunter, but he's got a lot of catching up to do if he wants to function.

Wing Spear getting sold on chapter 1 isn't recommendable at all. The point is, you lose out on both potential and utility by making Caeda an Archer. Similarly, Abel / Cain can make good Dracoknights later on, and can swap to Sniper wherever needed, having been trained as Cavaliers. As Archers, they're probably extremely tedious to train due to how bad the combat parameters of Archers are. You can probably just train Castor if you want a dedicated bow user, can just use Silver Bow or Parthia to blick various fliers. Draug can remain an axe user. Your initial post presented it as if the Cavs were good options for an Archer reclass, which I disagree with based on their lacking bow rank and underwhelming class-specific bases.

Edited by Gradivus.

It gets sold on Chapter 1.

In other words, your attempt at being clever fails, as I've got other plans for my units. One of which involves Draug wielding axes, and not bows.

What do you think this is, some sort of subtle shout-out to your skittles run?

shoot me now i just considered doing a ladyskittles run

The biggest problem with archers is movement probably.

Eclipse "recommends" (probably just described his own recent experience) selling the Wing Spear to increase the challenge that's otherwise missing from the game, methinks.

Wing Spear getting sold on chapter 1 isn't recommendable at all. The point is, you lose out on both potential and utility by making Caeda an Archer. Similarly, Abel / Cain can make good Dracoknights later on, and can swap to Sniper wherever needed, having been trained as Cavaliers. As Archers, they're probably extremely tedious to train due to how bad the combat parameters of Archers are. You can probably just train Castor if you want a dedicated bow user, can just use Silver Bow or Parthia to blick various fliers. Draug can remain an axe user. Your initial post presented it as if the Cavs were good options for an Archer reclass, which I disagree with based on their lacking bow rank and underwhelming class-specific bases.

You missed the keywords "absolutely insist". In other words, if you want some class A unpromoted unit to specifically wield bows for whatever reason, any of them will work, and will probably wind up better than Gordin/Norne. Otherwise, Cord will do just fine (Castor can, assuming I recruit him). Likewise, the early class A prepromotes will function, as well. Regardless, Draug's shining point in Hunter/Horseman is Speed, and that's not something he needs more of, hence why he's almost always a Fighter/Pirate for me.

Wolf/Sedgar are an exception - make them anything physical, and they'll eventually turn out good.

EDIT: I sell the Chapter 1 Wing Spear because I usually don't draft Caeda. On the off-chance that I get to use her, and she doesn't flip me off, she can keep her boomstick.

EDIT 2: Reverse Skittles are A-OK with me~!

Edited by eclipse

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in terms of best bow user i have to say it is probably barst. on ch4 i usually reclass him into a hunter for the arena if im not doing challenges. his high str makes it so he nearly one shots mages. resistence is nearly nonexistent in fe11 outside of items and clerics (bless you lena). i keep switching him back and forth between an axe user and a hunter till i promote him.

edit: doga is better

Edited by greenminid

Fun fact: Draug's name is guard backwards. It's even this in the Japanese version, as gado is how they phonetically spell the word guard.