Ranged Weapons

Jedi

With the new data about Hand axes and Javelins being only able to attack once. How do you feel this will change up the ranged game? Will we have a solid tier 1 archer? Or will it just be relegated to Snipers and mounted archers being the solid bow users as the norm?

How does this affect tomes? Will they reach heights again? And how does this affect weapons such as the Levin sword? Will it have doubling ability? Or will it be nerfed similarly?

I think there is a lot of interesting possibilities with this new system.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to guess based on current info, any 1-2 range weapons can no longer double. That includes Levin Swords and Tomes. I'm most likely wrong, but thats what I've inferred so far.

I doubt they would nerf mages that badly but then again fe10 happened.

Without Veteran, tomes should be fairly balanced considering casters have issues tanking crowds of enemies unless they pack Nosferatu (I bet they're nerfing this one really badly considering the direction of the nerfs we have already seen).

But yeah man, the Hand Axe and Javelin nerfs are HUGE... RIP LTC.

Without Veteran, tomes should be fairly balanced considering casters have issues tanking crowds of enemies unless they pack Nosferatu (I bet they're nerfing this one really badly considering the direction of the nerfs we have already seen).

We'll still find ways to LTC! Despite me not doing that much anymore I mean, fe4 doesn't have too many super good ranged options for melee units other then like the Light Sword and people still manage good counts.

Also fe3. Hand Axes and javelins weighed so much you couldn't like ever double!

I actually like these nerfs tbh.

I think Levin swords (and other magic-based weapons) will be treated the same as tomes in basically all aspects except for what weapon type they are treated as (and whether they are affected by Pavise or Aegis if those return). I also believe that we will be getting a decent selection of other magic-based swords, lances, axes, etc. so it is possible to have some type of magic weapon triangle control.

So basically, if tomes can double attack, I expect that these magic-based weapons will also be able to double attack. The catch would be that unless a class is specifically designed to use weapons like the Levin sword (Trickster comes to mind), they would probably have bad magic so they wouldn't become too overpowered.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure about this anymore. If Awakening had also included the nerf to javelins and hand axes, would Bolt Axes have been overpowered (lol shockstick)? Levin Swords didn't seem particularly OP except when used by a swordlocked Robin.

Edited by Bovinian

I think Levin swords (and other magic-based weapons) will be treated the same as tomes in basically all aspects except for what weapon type they are treated as (and whether they are affected by Pavise or Aegis if those return). I also believe that we will be getting a decent selection of other magic-based swords, lances, axes, etc. so it is possible to have some type of magic weapon triangle control.

So basically, if tomes can double attack, I expect that these magic-based weapons will also be able to double attack. The catch would be that unless a class is specifically designed to use weapons like the Levin sword (Trickster comes to mind), they would probably have bad magic so they wouldn't become too overpowered.

I agree and hope this all happens.

Well, like I said in the other thread, it was probably just to make bows more useful, though they will still have to compete with tomes.

Bows are a weird beast. As a weapon type they are usually solid, its their users that typically are hampered, but yeah it could be a way to buff the weapon type in general as its skated around in effectiveness throughout the franchise.

1~2 weapons can still double attack; you see Suzukaze doubling an enemy Ninja at range with an Iron Shuriken.

It's just range 1 weapons with 1~2 range options that are affected, most likely. The only example given was a Javelin.

As for the change, I still think Javelin-like weapons will be useful. Just not OP. They will be great for chip damage or triggering Attack Stance.

They already have slightly indirectly nerfed Nosferatu by lowering sorcs defence, but yeah if they do have Nosferatu it isgonna be nerfed/balanced alot..

On topic i honestly like this nerf on hand axes/javelins. I normally tried to avoid over using them, they just seemed a bit cheap to me i saved them for backup, or sniping normally.

Edited by goodperson707

On a more objective level, it'd certainly reduce javelin/handaxe dominance in terms of balance, so I can't complain too much.

However, on a personal level, axe is my favorite weapon type so this hurts me. A lot. personally.

Ah well~

1~2 weapons can still double attack; you see Suzukaze doubling an enemy Ninja at range with an Iron Shuriken.

It's just range 1 weapons with 1~2 range options that are affected, most likely. The only example given was a Javelin.

As for the change, I still think Javelin-like weapons will be useful. Just not OP. They will be great for chip damage or triggering Attack Stance.

Oh thanks Vincent I missed that part ^^;

This sounds like a good thing. Maybe we'll get more 1-2 range style weapons since they nerfed the ability to double? I don't know if it'll help the "archer problem" as the problem with archers is just that they had god awful stats more than anything else. That said, it's a good idea to finally be doing something about a problem that's been in the series for so long.

This sounds like a good thing. Maybe we'll get more 1-2 range style weapons since they nerfed the ability to double? I don't know if it'll help the "archer problem" as the problem with archers is just that they had god awful stats more than anything else. That said, it's a good idea to finally be doing something about a problem that's been in the series for so long.

I have always found it funny how archers have bad stats when Snipers have pretty great ones.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure about this anymore. If Awakening had also included the nerf to javelins and hand axes, would Bolt Axes have been overpowered (lol shockstick)? Levin Swords didn't seem particularly OP except when used by a swordlocked Robin.

I doubt it, to say the least. The amount of classes that could use a Bolt Axe well could be counted on one hand. Oh, and you only got one in the game short of a DLC chapter or one specific Spotpass team.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I doubt it, to say the least. The amount of classes that could use a Bolt Axe well could be counted on one hand. Oh, and you only got one in the game short of a DLC chapter or one specific Spotpass team.

Did this stop the Levin sword from existing? I think in a hypothetical situation had Awakening did what IF was doing now, we'd have had more of an incentive to possibly use the Bolt Axe.

I'm hoping they'll have their might buffed back up and the higher tiers become more accessible. I understand the reasoning, but at times I think they're a little too restrictive with the playable spears and tomahawks.

RIP javelier spam

Edited by X-Naut

I'm expecting the nerf bomb to come down on Nosferatu, as it's really the only way to get solid 1-2 range + tanks now, especially with Pair Up changes.

Magic users have always had the def-res gap to their advantage, meaning they can deal out damage with "iron" weapons, which don't seem to have any flaws in IF. They've also got the move gap from other front liners.

I think if we see anything like Awakening's Dark Knight (being a mounted mage with good defense), magic will be the indisputable king of this game (which I'm totally okay with because Magic is my favorite class). We'll have to also watch out for the new Strategist class and what they have for defensive stats.

In an LTC sense, I have a feeling people will find a way to make mage stomps work, as they are now the best way to eliminate giant hordes.

Did this stop the Levin sword from existing? I think in a hypothetical situation had Awakening did what IF was doing now, we'd have had more of an incentive to possibly use the Bolt Axe.

Perhaps, but I'm not convinced, not when pretty much 10 times out of 10, a non-Bolt Axe weapon would be more damaging (about the only use I'd see for it would be against Wyverns, or if used by a War Monk/Cleric)..

Well at least now with durability gone, that's a thing of the past. Having 1 Bolt Axe means that you can have one guy or gal be your magical axe user. And if War Clerics/Monks make a return, THIS would be a very good thing. It gives a unit a niche on your team that's unique with 1-2 range, AND magical and possibly no restrictions on doubling.

Probably, as there would be more situations where a double strike even from a magical base might do better than a single chop from a hand axe.

Well at least now with durability gone, that's a thing of the past. Having 1 Bolt Axe means that you can have one guy or gal be your magical axe user. And if War Clerics/Monks make a return, THIS would be a very good thing. It gives a unit a niche on your team that's unique with 1-2 range, AND magical and possibly no restrictions on doubling.

Maybe, but if what happened in both PoR and Awakening happens in If (aka, you get it too late in the game to matter), this fails at the first hurdle.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Maybe, but if what happened in both PoR and Awakening happens in If (aka, you get it too late in the game to matter), this fails at the first hurdle.

Oh goodness, I hope not. That would suck. We can only hope.

As far as LTC goes, magic has always been the easiest way to clear enemies anyway. I don't think it'll be a huge deal.

I quite like the change though, although it means magic is likely going to be super strong again.

Also a buff to thwomps because they didn't double anyway

Since dual guard strike is guaranteed now, that will compensate early game weakness of these range weapon of attacking only once. Not much of a big deal imo.

Edited by Awakener_

I admit I had to tendency to under use certain ranged weapons, like handax javalin or longbow, because they fell into that "Special weapon I should save for when I NEED the extra range" catagory. With weapon durability gone ima take them everywhere.