Marriage and Romance Speculation and Discussion Topic

UnknownUber

FE4 and Awakening to my knowledge are the only two with marriage and children mechanics to my knowledge. The older FE did have romantic supports, but they were balanced by having a few platonic relationships between the opposite genders as well. But I suppose Awakening does allow that as well, but only if said two characters are already married to different people.

What I'm saying is that it should be split again. Platonic relationships checkered throughout the cast... Including your siblings for clear reasons. The reason I can't see romance in this game is because of how it is set up. A lot of the major cast are your siblings, and the other characters come off as side characters. Awakening didn't do that, as it focused on a cast that was completely unrelated unless you used the marriage system. Minus Chrom and Lissa, no one else was related to them in anyway unless you used the mechanics to make others extended family.

Fates seems to be different. We know there's a support system as the treehouse indicates, but that doesn't necessarily mean romance and S-supports are in. I kind of feel like they would be forced because they would be for the side cast. Even with adoptive siblings, Nintendo might not get away with such an excuse in America. A fully remade and translated Genealogy wouldn't be released here because of the exact themes that plague it.

Edited by Prince Ardlin

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE4 and Awakening to my knowledge are the only two with marriage and children mechanics to my knowledge. The older FE did have romantic supports, but they were balanced by having a few platonic relationships between the opposite genders as well. But I suppose Awakening does allow that as well, but only if said two characters are already married to different people.

What I'm saying is that it should be split again. Platonic relationships checkered throughout the cast... Including your siblings for clear reasons. The reason I can't see romance in this game is because of how it is set up. A lot of the major cast are your siblings, and the other characters come off as side characters. Awakening didn't do that, as it focused on a cast that was completely unrelated unless you used the marriage system. Minus Chrom and Lissa, no one else was related to them in anyway unless you used the mechanics to make others extended family.

Fates seems to be different. We know there's a support system as the treehouse indicates, but that doesn't necessarily mean romance and S-supports are in. I kind of feel like they would be forced because they would be for the side cast. Even with adoptive siblings, Nintendo might not get away with such an excuse in America. A fully remade and translated Genealogy wouldn't be released here because of the exact themes that plague it.

Am I the only one that strategically married the children to get the characters I liked in places of power? I married Lissa, Owain married Henry's Cynthia, Lucy married Laurent, Gerome married my Morgan, etc.

They mentioned S supports in regards to awakening, but they made it sound like they weren't being taken out. I'm hopeful.

I'm not sure why you guys give a damn about marriage. It's a pretty minor stipulation. They can still be romantic but I see no reason a ring has to be involved.

They mentioned S supports in regards to awakening, but they made it sound like they weren't being taken out. I'm hopeful.

I'm not sure why you guys give a damn about marriage. It's a pretty minor stipulation. They can still be romantic but I see no reason a ring has to be involved.

I think a lot of people just use marriage as a shorthand for romantic supports, since that's how romantic supports were handled in Awakening, which had the biggest number of them. I myself would like romantic supports to exist, but I don't care if they actually get married during the game or if it's just mentioned in their epilogues like in past FE games.

With all the talk of Gender-Exclusive classes, part me sadly awaits the people using this as an arguement for Corrin's "Canon" Pairing.

Also, I'll be sure to update the OP

With all the talk of Gender-Exclusive classes, part me sadly awaits the people using this as an arguement for Corrin's "Canon" Pairing.

Also, I'll be sure to update the OP

I'm curious how this could be used as an argument for that?

I'm curious how this could be used as an argument for that?

You can only get this unit if Avatar is male.

Felicia is so canon!

Really anyone can make a stupid argument like that.

Ohh, I see. I misunderstood because you said gender-exclusive classes instead of characters. Yeah, I can see that going down, but you get both anyway so I'm interested to see how you acquire the same-gendered one and if they're as loyal to you as they would be if you started with them.

Can you not get both Joker and felicia in one game?

There are some images of an F!Kamui and M!Kamui with Felicia and Joker respectively, so yes, I think eventually you do get both, it's just that you start with the opposite-gendered one.

There are some images of an F!Kamui and M!Kamui with Felicia and Joker respectively, so yes, I think eventually you do get both, it's just that you start with the opposite-gendered one.

I wonder why they decided to do that? It's interesting... It seems like a small difference without any significance to the overall story... Do you think there's more to it than just that, or is it simply for the sake of having your possible support interest immediately available to you? (assuming S ranks are indeed back)

It sort of reminds me of Rune Factory 4's butler/maid characters, Vishnal and Clorica- both characters are there and you can increase friendship with them in the same way, but the one you start with and who primarily serves you is the one of the opposite gender. (marriage is also present in this game, of course)

Edited by Nakaion

I wonder why they decided to do that? It's interesting... It seems like a small difference without any significance to the overall story... Do you think there's more to it than just that, or is it simply for the sake of having your possible support interest immediately available to you? (assuming S ranks are indeed back)

It sort of reminds me of Rune Factory 4's butler/maid characters, Vishnal and Clorica- both characters are there and you can increase friendship with them in the same way, but the one you start with and who primarily serves you is the one of the opposite gender. (marriage is also present in this game, of course)

Honestly I doubt it has anything to do with supports since it's likely Kamui can support with everyone, neither do I think it's romantic. I think it's just an inversion to parallel each other or something.

Honestly I doubt it has anything to do with supports since it's likely Kamui can support with everyone, neither do I think it's romantic. I think it's just an inversion to parallel each other or something.

Probably. I figured it was like that, but I'd like to think there was some deeper thing there. It's most likely just a way to have variety when playing with different Kamui's... Like Morgan in Awakening. At least this time you aren't restricted to having one or the other.

EDIT: Apparently, there is an option in the menu to change your "helper", so either Joker/Jakob or Felicia will be the one who Kamui is guided by in My Castle- initially being the opposite gendered one and you will be able to change it if you desired. But I think outside of My Castle, the person who serves you won't change in the main story.

Edited by Nakaion

The whole Joker/Felicia thing is particularly weird because from a servant/master perspective it should really be the other way around. Male Kamui should get the male personal servant and female Kamui should get the female one.

I hope it doesn't set a precedent of limiting characters/character interactions based on Kamui's gender.

Edited by EJ107