Underrated units

Chiki

Since we already have an overrated unit thread, let's do an underrated unit one. I can only list characters for the games I know best:

FE9: Soren (he's a super combat unit, Rescue user, siege tome user all in one with a bexp dump),

Ilyana (I think she can also do what Soren can, but to a lesser extent simply due to Chapter 8 combat exp),

Tanith (Reinforce is amazing, plus she can fly. Imo she might be better than Kieran, but not as good as Oscar)

FE10: Jill (this one depends on what people really think. She's ranked below Volug of all people on Red Fox's tier list. But I'm told not all people share this opinion)

Ilyana (while she's crappy after Part 1, she has a lot of use up until the end of Part 1. She has good AS and might),

Marcia (pretty great flight unit, below Shinon, Nephenee etc. on Red Fox's tier list, but she deserves to be up way higher, especially with transfers)

Tanith (has great bases and growths especially with transfers, is great at Part 4)

Lucia (can be great at Part 4 with bexp if she promotes)

Boyd (ranked below Shinon in Red Fox's tier list, he's pretty amazing with transfers and Resolve. Kinda useless garbage without though)

FE13: Sumia (most people think she's worse than Cordelia)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Edward, because he tends to be often overshadowed by Zihark's earth affinity and second tier bases.

He has better growths than Zihark and he's trainable in part 3 in HM with wrath + range swords.

They're both good, only different to use.

Rolf is also underrated because of Shinon's much higher base level. His growths are as great as Shinon's.

PS: I'm not talking about LTC; only regular runs.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Wait people think Sumia is bad?

Anywhoisn heres some of mine

1) FE9 Soren: a bit weak and fragile but one of (if not the) best magic user in the game

2) FE10 Edward: Yes I prefer Mia or Zihark and the kid can't take a hit to save his life but if you can get him survive to promotion he can become a sheer terror

3) FE9 Stefan: Noone says he's really a bad unit or anything just overlooked in general despite being pretty awesome, having decent availability, and Vague Katti

4) FE7 Matthew: Pain in the dick to level up because of his weak strength but can eclipse even Jaffar with a few items to boost STR so he can kill for EXP.

5) FE7 Louise/Pent: Good Endgame units to get in case Erk and Rebecca don't pan out or get RNG screwed.

Now, hear me out hear guys: FE12 Arran.

Based on the supports alone, he's the type of character you would want to use, but alas, statwise, he's too bad for use later on. ;~;

in FE10 i really like to use Aran a good chunk of the time, even thought i know Nephenee is a bit better most of the time. Eddie's ok too, need to get him to promote to be considered good, like what Taco said.

also in FE6 i also really like to use Oujay/Ogier more than Dieck, to be honest. though Ogier get's Diecks same job done, but a well balanced hero.

for me anyways

Now, hear me out hear guys: FE12 Arran.

Based on the supports alone, he's the type of character you would want to use, but alas, statwise, he's too bad for use later on. ;~;

He can support as a bishop after he's done being a Paladin. Since some of the good staves are actually low rank.

FE6: Lugh. I was quite surprised when he was very useful in my HM run. Turns out actually being able to hit in that game is pretty cool. He's also speedier and comes earlier than Lilina.

FE9: Tanith. Reinforce, very respectable base stats, flight, etc. Soren definetely agree with Chiki on that one.

FE10: Definetely Marcia. Sure she's not the ridiculous dominant force that she is in FE9 but she's still very good and has very unique contributions.

FE11: Caeda. Because she's THAT amazing.

FE12: Katarina. Her bases are actually really good, in a game where lategame units don't often come with amazing base stats to compensate for their jointime.

FE13: I actually find it's the other way around. Cordelia is often the underrated unit. Both are very samey, with Sumia having a slight edge during Cordy's jointime. But people often act like this is a dealbreaker and think Cordelia is bench-worthy when both should be used.

Edited by PKL

FE12 Est.

I dunno about that, but I do feel that FE3 Est isn't that bad. It helps that most enemies in FE3 are kinda bad.

Edited by shinpichu

I think Sue from FE6 doesn't get the credit she deserves. Her str kinda sucks but she's still a pretty useful overall - not a lot of people seem to acknowledge that. Agreed that Lugh is underrated - he went from overrated to underrated in a similar way Gonzales did except that Lugh is better by a good amount.

FE5 also has a bunch of obscure units that tend to be underrated or overlooked. Carrion's an amazing unit but most people seem to get their pants wet over Fin or Felgus a lot more and I'm not 100% sure why.

In FE4 I'd say Oifaye is underrated. He's obviously nowhere near as good as a lot of other units, but he has amazing base stats and can do most of what you need from a mounted unit. Alec is also underrated I think, paladin promotion gains make him a passable 1-2 range combatant so he's nowhere near as bad as people say. I also think Deidre is severely underrated. She's still terrible, but prayer and live is truly an amazing combination, which gives her more uses than people give her credit for.

Edited by MartyTheDemonSlayer

FE5 also has a bunch of obscure units that tend to be underrated or overlooked. Carrion's an amazing unit but most people seem to get their pants wet over Fin or Felgus a lot more and I'm not 100% sure why.

Carrion is not an amazing unit. His start is incredibly terrible for marginal to no benefits over Fin/Felgus (his PCC is better than Fin's, at least).

I dunno about that, but I do feel that FE3 Est isn't that bad. It helps that most enemies in FE3 are kinda bad.

I mean, she has the second best growths in the game, and she has a lot of growing room. I haven't played FE3 very much to know that Est.

FE4 - Oifaye. I also think he's a better unit than he's given credit for.

FE7 - Maybe Rath.

FE8 - Eirika!Innes

FE9 - I wanna say Tanith, but I rarely see people deny how ridiculous she is. 24 base speed. Reinforce. Available for the much longer half of the game. So I guess I will have to concede to Soren. I definitely don't think he is as good as Chiki does, but I will respect what he is capable of.

FE10 - Tanith. She's a bit polarizing, but it is very easy to get her off the ground, and she pays with some serious dividends.

FE13 - Sumia. A level 1 flying unit with 13 base speed that joins in chapter 3/26 chapters and god knows how many paralogues and uses the best weapon types in Awakening post promotion. Somehow, people still don't quite get why this is good.

The obligatory.

Red Fox's tier list.

Red Fox's tier list

Red Fox's tier list

That thing hasn't been edited in years and I doubt even I agree with half of it anymore.

FE13: Sumia (most people think she's worse than Cordelia)

This is news to me. I only mentioned Sumia in the other topic because I find most people see her as better than Cordelia.

I don't think there's anyone I find particularly underrated, except maybe Lyn.

FE6: Zealot. A second Marcus that remains relevant until the desert even without growths. I see him get hated on for his bases, which makes no sense given that his bases are quite decent for his join time.

FE7: Probably Rath. He's not the best unit you have in any regard, but a Brave Bow/Longbow on a mounted unit has some niche applications that are useful on occasion. He doesn't have any competition for an Orion's Bolt either since Wil and Rebecca suck.

FE13: I'm not really convinced that either Sumia or Cordelia are underrated or overrated, so I'll just say that Sumia is the better unit and leave it at that.

FE9: Soren (he's a super combat unit, Rescue user, siege tome user all in one with a bexp dump),

what the hell, Soren is underrated? That's news to me. It makes no sense. Soren is arguably the best mage in FE9 and isn't hard to train at all...

I'm also surprised people underrate Jill. All you need to do is dump bexp on her and she'll always become invincible.

Ilyana (while she's crappy after Part 1, she has a lot of use up until the end of Part 1. She has good AS and might)

It doesn't make any sense to train Ilyana, since the other mage units are better than her, and she'll leave the DB party soon. EXP is better spent in units like Edward, Jill and Nolan, who really need it to fight in the Part 3 chapter without dying horribly. That doesn't mean she isn't useful in combat, though.

Not sure whether Lilina is underrated or not, but I see people prefer Lugh to her most of the time. Her easy supports with Roy and bonuses more than make up for her low speed.

Also every unit from FE4 that is underrated merely because they have no horses.

I dunno how Ilyana's AS is "good"- she doubles the Steel Axe guy in 1-3 and that's pretty much it forever...maybe some untransformed laguz in 1-4? Perhaps you're talking about transfer Ilyana.

Fe7 lowen joins early enough to abuse with a few 'gimme' levelups. Same for Bartre (as a Footman). One speed rig early on and he's set for a while as he only needs one speed to double the 0speed knights and soldiers in the upcoming chapters.

Fe11 Bord is probably better than we think because that Base C axes means Hammer at Base and with an abundance of Armor units in this game, he gets a head start on them with minimal investment. I think he's just a tad lower than he should be.

Fe6 Alance. Even if they aren't crucial to the best of the best units, they are chapter 1 mounts with fast supports and in what world are mounts bad in FE6? I forget what the tier lists look like tho but I dont think they are that bad?

I dunno how Ilyana's AS is "good"- she doubles the Steel Axe guy in 1-3 and that's pretty much it forever...maybe some untransformed laguz in 1-4? Perhaps you're talking about transfer Ilyana.

I'm pretty sure Chiki always plays with transfers, given his opinion of Boyd.

In FE4, both Midayle and Lester tend to be ignored by players but they're a lot more useful than people expect.

FE9 Tormod is incredibly underrated. Celerity is a great skill - even if you aren't planning on using him for combat, his high movement makes him an excellent staffbot.

Makalov and Devdan are also overlooked. Makalov is a Cavalier in Mounted Emblem and Devdan requires less training than Nephenee; giving him the Knight Ward can remedy his only disadvantage.

As for FE10, Leonardo needs more love. He might not have ideal growth rates, but his affinity is excellent and the Lughnasadh really helps him. He also doesn't need to fight in close range unlike Edward, which is a boon considering how fragile they both are.

Fe4: Currently going through my first playthrough and I really enjoyed using Holyn in gen 1. Not sure if he's really that underrated, but he's a foot unit in fe 4. Midayle was fairly useful as well as a chipper.

Fe6: Saul is definitely a useful healer despite not being a troubadour based on that he actually gets magic. Fairly dodgy, especially on a forest. I typically get him to level 20 around the desert chapter too so he's a potential user of the guiding ring and can use warp and physic right after you get them with a decent range. Also, since when was Lugh underrated?

Fe7: I find Bartre to be really useful, but only the basis that he earns a point or two of speed in the early game as that is the major setback for him. Fiora ends up being better than Florina a lot of the time for me as well.

Fe8: Kyle is basically one of my favourite units to use in this one. Strong, and gets enough defense to ward off most attacks as well. His speed is also a non-issue most of the time as well which is great. I usually promote him to great knight and give him the boots so his strong points are even more prominent, but he also works great as a paladin too. He's definitely a unit that I've grown to really like in my last few playthroughs.

Fe11: Samson was cool I guess. Decent filler unit as an axe user in a late game where enemy lances are abundant, and when you're not reclassing anyone.

Edited by lbrasz44