Underrated units

Chiki

Personally, I've gotten pretty good use of of Lowen in FE7. He may not do the most damage compared to the other cavaliers, but it's not terrible and he ended up as a tank by the end of one playthrough. Sain and Kent are still probably better, but Lowen hasn't ended up as average as I've heard others say he is.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What.

Lena man. 50% Res Growth is same as Maria, she has much better bases, has a massive availability lead and can use Warp from the get go. Lena with a few levels, promotion to Bishop and a Pure Water restanks Gharnef like nobody's business.

Whoops, I meant in addition to Lena

In H5 you can get away with multiple healers pretty easily

Not saying Maria is top tier but she's not at the very bottom, especially in a game with as many shitsters as FESD

Why not Rath, Canas, or Lucius?

As Refa said, none of those units should really get into combat very often to begin with, rendering HP not so important on them. Also, Rath is just bad.

Edited by General Banzai

The thing about Marisa's defense is that with her high speed and luck, the enemy won't be hitting her anyway, so it's largely irrelevant. And while the point about Josh joining earlier is somewhat valid, keep in mind that this is Sacred Stones we're talking about, and you can always just have Marisa go through the tower a few times to have her catch up to Josh.

The thing about Marisa's defense is that with her high speed and luck, the enemy won't be hitting her anyway, so it's largely irrelevant. And while the point about Josh joining earlier is somewhat valid, keep in mind that this is Sacred Stones we're talking about, and you can always just have Marisa go through the tower a few times to have her catch up to Josh.

Except when all I get for the trouble is someone who's pretty much interchangeable with him, I find it hard to say it's worth it, especially since he has 5 or 7 maps on her depending on route (and it doesn't help her case that Gerik comes along right after, if not in the very same chapter as her).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

The thing about Marisa's defense is that with her high speed and luck, the enemy won't be hitting her anyway, so it's largely irrelevant.

Tell that to the people who's seen her die a couple of times on her own joining chapter.

FE7

Harken: People give Pent his due but Harken is always shunted to upper midtier mediocrity when there's literally no reason not to use him ever

Isadora: I used to hate Dora but the wonders a single Angelic Robe does for her combat potential

Awakening

Kjelle: Second best kid after Lucy, people get all randy over fuckers who join too late to be useful and require shitty units getting laid when Kjelle is a cool +10 def to Lucy

Sully: On that note Sully is underrated, best physical combat unit for most of the game, best bet for Aegis bypass in Luna+

Lol wut? I'm pretty sure neither of those are underrated.

I'm actually pretty sure nobody knows how to play Awakening because all the people who were actually good at the game never played it, people get so hype over shit like Galeforce that isn't even good

Obviously, you've never played games like Valkyria Chronicles, where something like Galeforce exists. Being able to move and do actions again after an enemy is defeated can be, and often is, pretty helpful. Edited by Just call me AL

Obviously, you've never played games like Valkyria Chronicles, where something like Galeforce exists. Being able to move and do actions again after an enemy is defeated can be, and often is, pretty helpful.

The problem is getting Galeforce

Lv 15 dark flier is not worth

Here's my list of units I find underrated:

FE7:

Lyn- I find her to be pretty good yet for some reason people always bring her up in the "worst lords" type of lists. She's no Ike but I still think she's very dependable.

Isadora- She's got good bases, joins kind of early and is in one of the best classes on the game.

Harken- I guess it's because he joins late that people don't acknowledge him as much as Raven but I've always felt like he was the better of the two.

FE8:

Eirika- Sort of like Lyn, I always see her get lumped with the bad lords but I find it more disagreeable when people list Eirika. She gets two rapiers (depending on her mode) and a horse on promotion + Sieglinde. The only thing I find lacking about Eirika is her lack of 2-range weapons because she's very dependable and certain kinds of runs make me appreciate her a little bit more.
Saleh- I'm not sure how people feel about him but I don't see him brought up very often. He's really good and in my opinion the best go-to warper in this game.

FE9:
Astrid- I'm not sure why she's considered the least of the cavaliers, I've always felt that she was the most flexible and easiest to work with thanks to paragon.

Ilyana/Tormod- People always bring up Soren as the best mage but I feel like these guys give him a good run for his money. Especially Tormod who thanks to celerity can easily outrun Soren with a good bexp dump.

FE10:
Tauroneo- He's not available a whole lot but I appreciate his existence when he is. He can actually do his job as a knight and work as a good wall, I think him and Gatrie are the best knights in the game.

Laura- Sometimes the DB can't afford to self-heal and need to get rid of the immediate obstacles, I find Laura to be one of the most dependable healers and she gets to C staves fairly quickly. After Part 1 she's a good back-up physic user but i'd rather use mend/recover on her.

Gatrie- He's one of the few units that doesn't die in two/three hits and is available for a long time. He's a horse-less Titania, what's not to love about him? I find him more dependable than the likes of Nephenee or Soren whom seem to be more acknowledged.
Micaiah- Everyone seems to agree that Micaiah is a really good healer, and is usually called the best at it in FE10. Yet somehow that doesn't matter when people list her as the worst lord of the series. If what she lacks in combat she makes up for in her healing then why isn't that taken into consideration?

Awakening:
Anna- I'm not sure if she's underrated or not because I'm not too familiar with the Awakening scene, but I think she's pretty awesome and i'd call her the best utility unit.

Edited by MidnightStar

Forged bows starting halfway through the game make entire swaths of map no fly zones, coupled with the bland open map design basically renders fliers in general unusable

Sumia and Robin @ Dark Flier don't even get hit by them. Dark Flier is one of the game's best classes. The presence of a bow doesn't negate your fliers.

I could never turn Sumia into a unit that actually solos the whole game much like Dark Flier Morgan. Regardless of the investment, I couldn't make her stats good enough while playing with okay efficiency.

I could never turn Sumia into a unit that actually solos the whole game much like Dark Flier Morgan. Regardless of the investment, I couldn't make her stats good enough while playing with okay efficiency.

Not the whole game Robin or Morgan style, but a pretty decent chunk of it (8 -> 17).

if bows don't negate your fliers then the game's pretty badly designed...

What I mean is that you don't suddenly stop using your fliers just because there are bows on the map lol.

Would you not use Tibarn in 4-2 just because there are crossbows on the map?

I'm not really seeing how neccessarily Dark Flier is a bad class when it has great positioning ability and Galeforce will let you bounce and set up ideal enemy phases. You can even just switch to your support unit after killing something if you're so worried about getting sniped, but Ownagepuffs is correct that enemy bow users are hilariously inaccurate against any fast unit with an S Support until very late in the game. Additionally, there are a non negligble amount of maps in this game where having flying is actually very helpful.

However, I would agree that under efficiency constraints, only Robin and his/her children stand to reach Galeforce in a timely manner, and that broadly speaking, it is a somewhat overrated skill. Dark Flier is not a bad class though, not with flying and access to tomes.

Edited by Irysa

I wouldn't say "hilariously inaccurate" since sometimes enemy Snipers spawn with Hit +20 on top of their fixed Hit +10 that the game gives every enemy, but they aren't a reason to literally not deploy your fliers.

Sumia and Robin @ Dark Flier don't even get hit by them. Dark Flier is one of the game's best classes. The presence of a bow doesn't negate your fliers.

In a game where, what, 25% of enemies have Hawkeye+?

Even in regular Lunatic enemies tend to have rather high accuracy and 100% dodgetank isn't guaranteed, which is what you need since literal 1HKO is the reality

You need to go through 15 levels of that just to GET Galeforce, and why would you use Sumia for anything anyway?

Edited by General Banzai

The only map I can really think about in which it's hard to use flyers because of bow users is the mila tree one (16 or 17? I don't really remember)

if bows don't negate your fliers then the game's pretty badly designed...

It's awakening we're talking about :V

In a game where, what, 25% of enemies have Hawkeye+?????

Oh, you're talking about Lunatic+. On the other difficulties it's way easier to use them, yeah.

Edited by Nobody

Oh, you're talking about Lunatic+. On the other difficulties it's way easier to use them, yeah.

If we're not talking Lunatic+ what are we talking about, because any other game mode you can literally beat by slapping 5 Nosferatus on MU, moving them full move every turn, and skipping enemy phase

Edited by General Banzai

Sadly enough, even L+ falls to Nosferatu Robin.

Edit: this run is a good example of "why would I use Sumia for anything"

Edited by Ownagepuffs

If we're not talking Lunatic+ what are we talking about, because any other game mode you can literally beat by slapping 5 Nosferatus on MU, moving them full move every turn, and skipping enemy phase

It only takes slightly more finesse and resetting to pull off a nostank on Lunatic+, plenty of people have done it before. Robin reaches oneshotting enemy status at around Chapter 7, and is practically invincible until the last 4 or so maps of the game following that, even without Nos. Enemies with 1-2 weaponry always attack from 2 range if they are able, and important targets can be prioritised. There's the option for Armsthrift Nos forge spam too.

However, there's no reason not to jump around classes for better skills whilst the game is easy, since Galeforce, Pass and Sol are all very good pickups for later on, especially as Dark Knight or Bow Knight.

Anyway, Lunatic+ does have a significant impact on the viability and usefulness of various characters and classes, so it's not at all unreasonable for people to not neccessarily assume it inherantly. Bow Knights become high tier for one wheras they're pretty mediocre on regular Lunatic due to lack of EP options.

Even in regular Lunatic enemies tend to have rather high accuracy and 100% dodgetank isn't guaranteed, which is what you need since literal 1HKO is the reality

Nah, enemy accuracy is really a joke in that game without Hawkeye if you lowman and have S supports. Robin can reach near 0% hitrates vs Snipers who probably can't even oneshot her as a Dark Flier. Enemy accuracy only becomes relevant again at around about 20 or so. Sumia takes a lot more effort to get going but it's still hypothetically possible if you baby the shit out of her, and she does have availability and the means to achieve it.

Edited by Irysa

Warning: suboptimal/fanboi gameplay above!

FE10 Laura tends to get two camps of people. There's the camp that uses her a few chapters and then benches her because they think she's too immobile and frail to be used. Then there's the other camp that will use her through Pt 1 but basically dumps her in pt 3 because of Micaiah. Of course the 3rd camp is fanbois like me.

I often see her low-ish caps get brought up... and I agree that it is a crime to give someone triple 70% growths and then low caps in those stats, namely Speed. Here's how I see it:

The developers gave her very high growths and low caps to encourage promoting her early so she could defend herself a lot better (or at least help deter attacks). You should either aim for her caps (namely Speed) and promote her immediately to keep it going, or you should hit at least one cap on her early on (probably Speed) and Bexp her up so that you can pump defensive stats, or you should just give her a level 10 promotion anyway and then train her as a Bishop all the way up. You can do a combination of the above however you want.

The point is that the low caps, which are a curse, can be a blessing in disguise.

Since she's pretty much guaranteed to have solid offense with 70% Magic, Skill and Speed, you should be able to use her offensively in a lot of situations, assuming you don't need a healer. Promoting Laura at level 10 Cleric gives 12.3 AS and 18.3 Atk, which is solid when you realize it's spell-based and that these stats grow at a 70% rate. This is 10/1 Laura - if you go beyond that with anything I suggested, she will come out very strong and able to double Tigers for a hefty amount of damage in that river chapter in Pt 3.

Even though I'm def. a fanboi of Laura's offense, I admit she's a free kill very early on. A lot of characters are free kills, but Laura's especially free, it's true. I poach Shade from Ilyana sometimes to make things easier. This is the main thing against her. However, I also believe that if you choose to let her actually use a Light tome, she's worth supporting. Ok, Wind kinda sucks, since it is Accuracy and Avoid, but last I checked, Nolan would definitely like even more Avo to go with his Earth affinity, and his accuracy isn't totally reliable on everything early on.

Furthermore, Nolan supporting with a Fire/Water/Dark only gets him 1 attack after a B rank when he could get accuracy from Laura immediately - not a gigantic deal, because I can see a lot of players just doing Nolan/Zihark or Nolan/Volug for double earth, but I think earth affinity should be spread as much as possible, and my main point here is Laura is a prime candidate for Earth if you're having problems keeping her alive, since she will gain 10% avoid every rank up (correct me if I'm wrong, it has been a while).

"But Vulneraries!"

- are a resource that takes up your attacking turn, which destroys the best reason to use some units (Leo, Micaiah, Tormod)

- do not give exp

- can exist mutually with Laura

"But Micaiah!"

- has Thani-killing she could be doing

- actually is slower in a lot of situations, but does a lot more offense of course, so why would you make Micaiah heal and not Laura if given a choice

- can exist mutually with Laura

You can take steps to cover for Laura's weaknesses and have a very powerful healer for the majority of DB's lifespan and even an adept mage for Pt 3 and 4. It is understandable why you'd rather pump, say, Jill... but I feel a lot of people sleep on Laura. Like Aran.

I guess if you're doing one of those minimum turn count runs you don't wanna use Laura, but I don't know much about that.

Wrt Laura: I don't think she's that bad. It's just that the pace of the game is very anti-healer, especially in the Dawn Brigade. I still use her in Part three tier one.