Underrated units

Chiki

I wouldn't really consider Bartre underrated, because 3 base speed is still failtastic, no matter which way you slice it, and combined with Warriors having absolutely awful promotion bonuses (no speed WTF), he's stuck relying on his okay-but-not-great speed growth.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE7 showed me impressively how slow fighters were: Dorcas, Batre and Ross in FE8 are so goddamn slow.

My least favorite class in the GBA triology, even worse than knights for me.

I liked to use Lot in FE6 earlygame, but he belonged to the victims, because axes and lances are so ridiculous inaccurate. Never used any axeusers in FE6 (except for promoted Alance) and it won't change at all.

FE7 showed me impressively how slow fighters were: Dorcas, Batre and Ross in FE8 are so goddamn slow.

My least favorite class in the GBA triology, even worse than knights for me.

I liked to use Lot in FE6 earlygame, but he belonged to the victims, because axes and lances are so ridiculous inaccurate. Never used any axeusers in FE6 (except for promoted Alance) and it won't change at all.

Agreed - I personally give all fighters other than Geitz a wide berth.

raven isn't getting axes until atleast chapter 23 if i recall correctly, sides he doesn't have the con for anything other then an iron. even that slows him down i think, and Bartre has joining times on Harken. (not to mention harken might not exist in a player's run, but he should if they know what they are doing because Harken is hilariously good), neither one of these are primary axe users either.

Raven has more than enough Speed to counteract CON problems. If you're comparing him to Bartre, Raven's Speed lead is way bigger than Bartre's CON lead.

Who cares if they aren't primary axe users if they do the job better than one

That just says primary axe users mostly suck, no

Hell I had more luck getting Isadora to use axes (out of a challenge) than using Bartre

Edited by Thor Odinson

I agree, but that doesn't amount to much given that despite how slow most enemies are in FE8, Garcia still has trouble doubling even them. He's still better than Ross though.

Garcia is probably the best out of all of them

Even if he is, that ain't saying much, given that he's a schmuck, too...

Edited by Levant Caprice

Hero promotion+speedwings is a +4 spd boost.

Iirc, 20/1 Hero Garcia with wings is about 12 speed.

That's about all you need to orko 80% of the game.

and don't forget, no AS loss from anything except the devil axe.

anyways, I think fe5 Ralph is underrated. Sure, he has no real skills, but he's perfectly usable and doesn't need any special resources!

He's totally the average joe.

I think Luka from Tear Ring Saga is a bit underrated.

Luka doesn't have an easy existence. If you want this guy, you have to pass up on the gamebreaking Narron and the ridiculously useful Lee. Not to mention that his own sister quickly joins with her massive stats and the powerful Master Bow that only she can use for a long, long time. However, I really don't think he is all that useless. And I would definitely put him above Ezekiel.

The game has a lot of situations were archers are quite useful, like when dealing with Harpies and Zombie Dragons. Also, Gargoyles. He also has some of the better growths in the game. 40% in speed is quite nice in TRS. So he can often use heavy weapons without loosing the ability to double attack. Also, he learns Charge, which is a Command Move in this game. With that, he can simply rain down arrows on enemies until they die.

Edited by BrightBow

Hero promotion+speedwings is a +4 spd boost.

Iirc, 20/1 Hero Garcia with wings is about 12 speed.

That's about all you need to orko 80% of the game.

and don't forget, no AS loss from anything except the devil axe.

If you ask me, the fact he needs all that to get to that point says a lot about him - none of it good. Also, Garcia doesn't get any Con if promoted to Hero..

Edited by Levant Caprice

If you ask me, the fact he needs all that to get to that point says a lot about him - none of it good. Also, Garcia doesn't get any Con if promoted to Hero..

noone else really wants a speedwings.

I mean seriously, it's fe8.

The ONLY exceptions I can think of (my knowledge on this is a little outdated) is an LTC run in Ephraim route. Wyvern Knight instant promotion+Speedwings on Cormag.

On topic: I think Tear Ring Saga's Lee might be underrated. Sure, Narron's a hardass, but Lee has the defence staff (may as well be a prf), and has really decent bases.

noone else really wants a speedwings.

I mean seriously, it's fe8.

The ONLY exceptions I can think of (my knowledge on this is a little outdated) is an LTC run in Ephraim route. Wyvern Knight instant promotion+Speedwings on Cormag.

Doesn't change the fact that speedwings are one of the most useful stat boosters. Also, I see Garcia as a relatively poor use of a Hero Crest compared to Gerik or Joshua.

12 Spd with a pair of Speedwings is nothing worth bragging about. He can KO joke enemies but that's not doubling anything not losing AS.

Garcia really isn't a unit I would consider to be underrated. He's basically the same as Gilliam where he is somewhat useful for the first portion of the game but falls off quickly at the route split. Even then he will always have defensive issues, and combining that with poor speed, he's going to be hit severely and often by anything that isn't a lance user. Other units demand the speedwings and Ross can easily catch up and surpass him by the the first fog of war map as a pirate.

It seems FE9 Lethe is hugely underrated. In my playthroughs of that game she is always a powerhouse in all stages of the game and never needs any extra BEXP or stat enhancers. Yeah, there is the transformation gauge but she enters kitty form turn 1 and by the time she untransforms most things are dead. Most people also seem to consider Elincia bad, but she always caps magic quickly and has canto powers so she is always one of my physic units.

I also consider Lyn to be the best FE7 lord.

I don't think Lethe has ever been underrated. Like you said, she transforms ever since Turn 1. Her bases are pretty good, and even manage to make her good in Maniac Mode (she 1RKO's there...), her growths are great and later she can nab a Demi Band.

Bartre really does suck guys sorry. Even if he gets his 1 speed proc, he's still too slow to double just about anything- his Spd growth isn't good enough to counteract his very low base given the lack of Exp available.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I always thought a lot of the armor knights were overlooked due to their low Mov; Oswin (FE7) and Dashin (FE5) come to mind. Part of it might be due to units like Bors from FE6 who genuinely suck.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

I don't think Lethe has ever been underrated. Like you said, she transforms ever since Turn 1. Her bases are pretty good, and even manage to make her good in Maniac Mode (she 1RKO's there...), her growths are great and later she can nab a Demi Band.

Well, nobody has said she is bad or anything just I have always thought of her has one of PoR's best units, for the reasons listed, and most people just seem to not mention her or label her as fine when discussing PoR.

Edited by Hobrek